Lets talk about the new Gem conversion [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sylv.6514

Sylv.6514

I am FURIOUS about this change. Only need a few gems to buy some transmutation charges? Guess what? You’re forced to buy 70g+ worth of gems to do it. This is a disgusting system that pretty much forces you to throw away needless amounts of gold or pay up with cash. The rehashed content for halloween was bad enough, but now you force this crap down our throats? Switching around my look was my favorite thing to do, and i just needed a few gold to do it if i was out of charges. Now? I need to throw away nearly 100g on gems i don’t even need or want. I can’t even put my frustration into appropriate words. You just effectively killed the gem store for me anet. G freaking G

Posted by: Clyan.1593

Clyan.1593

anet, that’s insulting. i used to buy a ton of gems and now look at this crap you just invented. congratz. i now have to click a billion times the same button when converting high amounts of gems into gold. and on the opposite if i want to make gems out of gold i cannot trade below an exchange of 400 gold. that’s just silly. thx alot.

“Bagh Nakh! Bagh Nakh!”
– Dark Lord of Moshpoipoi

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I am thinking this might actually be a bug. It feels a bit random to have 400 gems as minimum when there are gem-store items that costs much less. 100 gems seems more likely. So I would wait with all the raging (meh who am I kidding?) until we actually know if this is working as intended.

For the record I don’t like the current version of the change either.

It’s working as intended. There’s no way it’s a bug.

Posted by: kiimi.2853

kiimi.2853

This is just sad, someone got lost on the cash shop path…,hardly new skins outside of it, and now this, so not gonna buy anything of it anymore, i do even regret to have gotten friends and brothers to play this game. Id not recommend it anymore:(. The old way to exchange might not have been perfect, but just so much better…

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

How is it no way it’s a bug? It is fully possible that it could be missing a part of the trading and so on.

I am not saying that it must be a bug, but it is quite silly that the forums explode every single time something is changed without even thinking about if it is actually working as intended or not.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

I am thinking this might actually be a bug. It feels a bit random to have 400 gems as minimum when there are gem-store items that costs much less. 100 gems seems more likely. So I would wait with all the raging (meh who am I kidding?) until we actually know if this is working as intended.

Yeah but after a big ol’ ragestorm they can always say “Oops this isn’t supposed to work like this, it’s just a bug, we would never do something like this”. And I’m definitely not pointing fingers at NPE.

Posted by: lunacrous.6751

lunacrous.6751

Okay new thread title, let’s talk about the new gem conversion. I will no longer be giving you money, for any reason, until it is reverted or made an option alongside the old gem conversion.

Good talk!

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

Yeah really…there’s no way this is a bug. The UI would have to be completely reworked to allow for other increments. This is deliberate and calculated…and very very wrong.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Posted by: Clyan.1593

Clyan.1593

How is it no way it’s a bug? It is fully possible that it could be missing a part of the trading and so on.

I am not saying that it must be a bug, but it is quite silly that the forums explode every single time something is changed without even thinking about if it is actually working as intended or not.

I don’t think it’s a bug either. They want you to throw away high amounts of gold so you just find yourself in that position where you need gold again so you buy more gems and trade it back to gold. it’s the moneygrabber cicle.

“Bagh Nakh! Bagh Nakh!”
– Dark Lord of Moshpoipoi

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Impressive # of posts for about an hour.

I’m getting the feeling that people don’t like this change very much.

If you approve of the change, please weigh in and explain why. Hopefully you will not say the old system was too confusing.

Thank you very much.

Posted by: Kasima.8143

Kasima.8143

Wow Anet. What a kittenty way to get people to buy more gems with real money.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

So much disappointment, really.. why limit the exchange rate to 400 gems? just what happened to you GW2?, every single time an update arrives, there’s always a reason to feel either sad or angry because of poor made decisions like these. It’s going to be a sad halloween and I don’t even want to imagine what’s coming next.. Pay2Win model at full force? labor points? -_-

The final portion of the VIP system appeared in the data files with this patch. The next feature patch will almost certainly contain the P2W VIP system that is currently in china.

We have been slowly moving this way for a long time now. Once the game started to decline they shifted more and more resources into pumping the game for cash. It is almost in full cash cow mode now. The actual content gets fewer and farther apart, but gem store gets faster and more “inclusive” and eventually you need to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars to keep up.

I will hand it to Anet, they did it slow enough that anyone who pointed out the change was charged with “slippery slope” or “straw man” fallacies, and shouted down.

With the NPE and the gem changes they are finally in the home stretch. Once we get VIP the path to the dark side will be complete.

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

A disgusting example of price discrimination. Shameful.

Leman

Posted by: sniperman.1738

sniperman.1738

This new currency exchange needs to go bring back the old system asap so ppl can get the exact amount of gems they want and not a fix rate in which some cannot afford.

One of the Main Commander’s Grims Bane
Darkhaven
PPT Pusher/Fightmander

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Anet playing too fast and loose with the bug excuse lately, how many more times?

Either A. They are ultra incompetent

or B. They don’t give an eff, just give us yo kitten money!

Posted by: blackysharky.7581

blackysharky.7581

Dear Anet,

we’ve been together since 2005 and everything was going so well, but i noticed over the last ~2 years that you have changed. Maybe it’s my selfishness for wanting Addons for which i want to pay, or that i still want to have my homeserver which i have choosen insteat of megaservers, or that i want a balanced pvp and wvw, or it is the fact that i still want to fight other guilds with my guild in our own personal Guildhall, or that i simply want to choose how much gold i spend on gems. Well i guess iam just to selfish, so this is it. It’s not you, it’s me.

Dear
Random Player 1234

PS: Actually it is YOU, not me.

+1

Can’t upvote this enough.

Sir Masao
Warrior
Elonas Reach [EU]

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

Posted by: Cheeky.1830

Cheeky.1830

Absolutely horrible idea Anet. There was nothing wrong with the old way. Please revert back. People want to exchange gold for gems as they get the gold, not wait until they have said amount to get the gems. You will only lose out on people buying gems all together

So Cheeky- 80 Mes
Commander- (Hero)

Posted by: doubledh.5630

doubledh.5630

If the idea was to simplify the process (which in all honesty, it probably wasn’t ) Then leave the old fine-tuned system as a separate tab or space… No reason whatsoever to remove functionality entirely. Period.

edit: forgot to say this is my first post as well, like a few others. This is just downright bad.

(edited by doubledh.5630)

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

So much disappointment, really.. why limit the exchange rate to 400 gems? just what happened to you GW2?, every single time an update arrives, there’s always a reason to feel either sad or angry because of poor made decisions like these. It’s going to be a sad halloween and I don’t even want to imagine what’s coming next.. Pay2Win model at full force? labor points? -_-

The final portion of the VIP system appeared in the data files with this patch. The next feature patch will almost certainly contain the P2W VIP system that is currently in china.

We have been slowly moving this way for a long time now. Once the game started to decline they shifted more and more resources into pumping the game for cash. It is almost in full cash cow mode now. The actual content gets fewer and farther apart, but gem store gets faster and more “inclusive” and eventually you need to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars to keep up.

I will hand it to Anet, they did it slow enough that anyone who pointed out the change was charged with “slippery slope” or “straw man” fallacies, and shouted down.

With the NPE and the gem changes they are finally in the home stretch. Once we get VIP the path to the dark side will be complete.

a few months ago I would of thought this a silly post, but now I agree

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

haha Azure I was just thinking the same thing.

I usually get burned at the stake for being a ‘white knight’ (still love the game) but man…starting to have a crises of faith.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Posted by: Talas.7962

Talas.7962

I have never posted on the forums before. I am just posting now to say the new limits on custom conversions is horrible. Revert the change and if you want to make it less confusing have an option to allow me to enter the amount of gems I would like and the game do the conversion to gold for me.

Bellizare.5816

But who would actually buy into this? The western hemisphere population for this type of gaming most likely already have a GW2 account. This stuff just makes us play less and less with each hammer blow of change.

Paul.4081

Can I get a refund if I’m not Chinese?

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

I’ve defended Arenanet many times in the past. This is absolutely indefensible and one step away from extortion. Microsoft tried to pull something like this with Xbox Live and got riddled with lawsuits.

This is absolutely DISGUSTING, and I am now convinced of what I was trying to deny for the longest time – this game is nothing but a front for the gem store and every patch is taking another step to nickel and dime me out of more money.

I’d love to say I’m taking my business elsewhere, but sadly there are many aspects of GW2 that have spoiled me, so I can’t. I’ll just not do business at all and forget about MMOs until something truly revolutionary comes along, which could be a long, long time.

This is absurd and you should all be ashamed of yourselves. You had a fantastic game and every step you take is ruining it beyond repair.

The worst part of this is that you make this change under the guise of “eliminating confusion”? Intentionally presenting this practise of forcefully squeezing money as helping players. Nothing short of a disgrace and I refuse to be a part of it any longer.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

Posted by: drowze.3709

drowze.3709

Agreed. Please give us the option to convert specific amounts like we used to.

Then again, I don’t believe that they didn’t know beforehand that a lot of people would react like this. We probably won’t be seeing a change any time soon, as they basically already told us to suck it up.

I hope I’m wrong.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I applaud your naivety.

Posted by: KillerRabbit.1946

KillerRabbit.1946

I have never written anything in the forums.
This change has moved me to do it. So, it has one positive thing!
We need to do something organized about this. Something massive.

Right now I just cannot get gems with gold. I don’t have 70 gold, and I’ve never had 70 gold in over a year playing. Whenever I’m close to 30 gold I change 10 for around 100 gems. This plus one cash for gem purchase is how I slowly get some of the things I want. This is now completely impossible.

Do. Not. Like.

Posted by: shaquinna.2869

shaquinna.2869

Sharing the Reddit input:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2jxnrk/they_changed_the_way_you_buy_gems_with_gold/

I think their opinion can be valued highly aswel

Evanny
[EU] Piken Square
Representing: ‘The Only One’ [One]

Posted by: lunacrous.6751

lunacrous.6751

Same here. Never thought much of all “conspiracy theories”, but now… well, there’s really no other explanation for this change. It certainly doesn’t simplify the process of converting gems to gold, unless being left with random loose change in gems from your expenditure of real $$ is somehow considered “simpler” than being able to convert all of your purchased gems for gold. Coming from the Gems to Gold side of things, this is a complete CF.

Posted by: barnabas j collins.2306

barnabas j collins.2306

I was spending between 35 and 100 bucks a month on this game. But lately, the only things to buy have been outfits and now managing gems is going to be so clumsy i can’t get rid of the extras easily or buy a few with gold if I need to.

Given that there has been very little actual game development (just bits and pieces of a “living story”). No new armors. A tiny bit of a new area opened up. And now the gem/gold exchange has been made unworkable – I don’t really see any reason to continue to support this game.

Most of my friends have already quit.

Guess I’ll just enjoy the old free content we have and forget about the gem store entirely.

Posted by: Sylv.6514

Sylv.6514

Impressive # of posts for about an hour.

I’m getting the feeling that people don’t like this change very much.

If you approve of the change, please weigh in and explain why. Hopefully you will not say the old system was too confusing.

Thank you very much.

I like the concept for quick and easy conversion, but there needs to be way more options. It should start at 25 gems minimum, not 400. Even then, i still prefer the custom amounts. This makes it look like a really obvious cash grab. (which it is)

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

So, GW2 is officially a skeevy korean F2P game now? Seriously – the little bit of faith they’d been building recently is just gone.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Next gemstore update: buy the gem conversion upgrade for 1100 gems to convert gems and gold in smaller increments!

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Not spending any more cash on this game until this is reverted.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

This is a terrible change. I can’t believe Anet decided to wreck the gold-gem conversion by imposing such restrictions.

I’m boycotting the Anet gem store and all the stuff sold in it until this is fixed. I hope others do the same. If they won’t listen to their players, they’ll have to listen to our wallets closing shut.

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

What does Vayne think of this?

Posted by: Kheldorn.5123

Kheldorn.5123

I am 100% sure that VayneBot is already being uploaded with excuses and corporate bullkitten to calm down the situation.

Or they’ll just close the thread with the elegance of camel gunk.

Bellizare.5816

You really shouldn’t have said that.

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

Well, technically it’s their game and they can do anything with it, even if it means introducing money-grab mechanics. Everyone’s job at this point should be to stop paying Anet’s bills with our hard-earned money. The customer always wins in the end and their in-house ‘economist’ should know that. Should.

Leman

Posted by: Fitty Fhaav.2945

Fitty Fhaav.2945

I really dislike this new system of gem purchase. Every saturday morning, I’d purchase 10g of gems and save up for stuff that I wanted when it went on sale.

Please bring back the old system and let me purchase the number of GEMS I WANT.

Paul.4081

Posted by: Tulki.1458

Tulki.1458

Immediately before this patch: 10g = 70 gems.

Immediately after this patch: 10g = 57 gems (going off the 400 gem exchange rate).

They tampered with prices to make gems more expensive at exactly the same time as they removed the price history and made 400 gems the lowest increment you can buy in. Did anyone else see this? No other holiday event has had that big a fluctuation before.

Bellizare.5816

I am 100% sure that VayneBot is already being uploaded with excuses and corporate bullkitten to calm down the situation.

Or they’ll just close the thread with the elegance of camel gunk.

They won’t close the thread.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Shh the only ones who are upset by this change is us, the vocal minority. Anet used sophisticated metrics to determine that this is what’s best for the game.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Hey there,

Here are a few tidbits from the team:

• A lot of newer players had trouble with the interface. That doesn’t apply to you, you’re veterans who have been around the conversion block a time or two. But newer players will benefit from the updated system.
  • The goal was to make the Gem Store more like other shopping experiences, and if you think about it, there is more of that feel to it now.
  • You may be surprised to know this (I know I was) but very few people bought gems at smaller denominations than the first one offered in the new system. That’s not to say they never did, nor that there wouldn’t be the desire to do so. But overall, the current options were selected based on player purchases in the past.
  • The team is going to listen to your feedback and, if and when it’s practical and desirable, they can look towards adjusting the new system to better meet your needs.

So please keep your thoughts coming on the new system. Feel free to make suggestions but please, keeping them constructive would be very much appreciated.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I don’t normally have any true complaints since I’m indifferent on most updates.

But reading this (I haven’t actually logged into the game yet)…this is outrageous. I hope they think carefully about the change and then revert it back to the old system.

The monetary value doesn’t bother me so much as the gold→gem and gem→gold conversion. With the old system you could trade any amount of gold for gems or gems for gold. I’m not sure if it’s the same way here but if it isn’t, better well change it!

However, given that they feel there was a flaw with the old system…perhaps try a combination of the two ideas and make it so that any amount of gems or gold can be traded for the other currency but make it so you can set the destination currency amount. For example, if you want 600 gems from gold, put in 600 gems and it will show you how much gold is needed. Rather than doing the math and being off by a few measly silver or copper.

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

Posted by: Like A Kitty.8092

Like A Kitty.8092

This change makes me really angry and sad at the same time. I liked the old system, there was nothing wrong with it so why change it?
I don’t want to spend 70+ gold on gems just because I can’t get less than 400 gems.
Only needed 200 gems for the horns but I’ll refuse to exchange any of my gold now and I won’t buy gems with money either.
It’s sad to see where this is going.

Posted by: Sailsd.9245

Sailsd.9245

Immediately before this patch: 10g = 70 gems.

Immediately after this patch: 10g = 57 gems (going off the 400 gem exchange rate).

They tampered with prices to make gems more expensive at exactly the same time as they removed the price history and made 400 gems the lowest increment you can buy in. Did anyone else see this? No other holiday event has had that big a fluctuation before.

They didn’t. Many people wanted the Nobles Outfit (which, I can’t deny, is nice).

Gaile. Nice to see you here, good thing.
The easiest suggestions would be
a) smaller increments (what does the cheapest gemstore-item cost?)

or
b) just a numberbox where you’d type in the amount of gems you desire and the game calculates the gold price.

(edited by Sailsd.9245)

Bellizare.5816

Shh the only ones who are upset by this change is us, the vocal minority.

Yes of course. The majority does not do forums, and need things to be put forth in a manner to lessen their constant state of confusion.

Currently I am teaching my cat to play a warrior.