Level 80 Player's Problems With the Undead (Orr/Risen) Zones

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I guess I’m one of the few people who actually like the Orr areas and the only reason I haven’t been there recently (the last 4 or 5 days) is because I’ve been busy getting dungeon armor.

Now that I’ve finished that me and my group of friends plan to move on to Arah and conquer that dungeon.

Posted by: biCentral.9681

biCentral.9681

Orr design is great. The spawn rates feel broken however and leads to a wearying slog through this zone.

Having had the same feelings when playing through a few other zones, my question is, must every fight feel like it could be your last?

Without being able to peer into the nitty gritty of enemy stats, my suggestion would be to have them spawn with more variables, for example:

Lets say for arguments sake that the base stat for a risen ravager is health/defence/damage 100 points in each. Insert a variable of around 30% either way in each stat and you will change up how they feel when in combat, some will be slightly tougher, some weaker. Some will melt away at the swing of a few sword blows, but might do extra damage in that time.

As far as I know, they might already spawn with something like this, but after slogging through Orr, I feel they do not and It makes all fights feel a bit samey and laborious.

Posted by: Killua.8041

Killua.8041

The Acolytes do however, have an absurd aggro range, you often see one come from VERY far away to go attack you.

O Killua O – Asura Mesmer | Killuas – Asura Engineer
Bookah Protector – Asura Guardian | Trapped Spirit – Asura Necromancer

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

I like Orr a lot. It’s challenging and has a constant sense of danger. The vibe of corruption just adds to that.

I can understand wanting it prettier or easier, but it is one of the end games of GW2. Once you acclimatize yourself to it, everything else seems bland in comparison.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

Posted by: Bulblax.3809

Bulblax.3809

I can’t possibly agree with this more. I agree with every single point except that the zones are ugly. Graphically they have their own style that I appreciate.

However, doing anything solo in these zones is a huge and massively annoying chore. Respawn rate sometimes near instant, mobs PACKED into tiny areas making pulling/killing just a few almost always impossible to do without getting 5+ more.

Reading some of the other people’s posts who enjoy these zones saying they are supposed to be difficult- that’s fine, but the way it’s done is more annoying than difficult. If I fight my way through a pack of mobs they shouldn’t have respawn by the time I kill the last one. That’s not hard, it’s stupid.

Posted by: Nottix.7864

Nottix.7864

All 3 zones seem the same really. Some gorgeous zones. And then we get to the last 3 in orr and they all seem to look like one another. I know it’s the theme. Made me really enjoy Frostsound. It’s a little crazy in there. I’m going to say maybe because beta testers didn’t get up to those zones much. Very hard to even afk, check your map, or even respond to chat sometimes without there being 2 mobs beating on you. Very aggressive. The events bug a lot. WPs being contested makes traveling between events rough, then you have to deal with the run through sea of mobs. Would like to also see a larger range which your map shows events, since their isn’t hearts here.

Posted by: Silverddragn.3401

Silverddragn.3401

It seems as if I’m the odd one out in this thread, but I love Orr.

I enjoy the aesthetic feel, and how it imbues the sense of corruption. Until I came to this thread, I had no idea that Orr was sunk and had been underwater for a time (though the coral everywhere made me think it had been, I had just never known).

I like how dangerous the area feels. I like how you can get killed inside of a base, making it feel as if nothing is truly a sanctuary. While I understand complaints that the enemy density can be bothersome, I would rather it be this way. Paired with the fact that the Orr areas will only see an increase in player activity, this makes sense. I would actually prefer if the “group” dynamic events were tougher.

It is a pain to travel through, but it’s also one of the most exciting zones.

No, you’re not the only one. I love Orr as well.

And I agree with the guy who said the art team did a fantastic job at executing what is supposed to look like a dead and previously submerged island. The atmosphere on Orr is great. I like the weird howling wind noise as well, if you go under water it just cuts out and you’re left with a creepy silence.

By the way Ganadorf, you say you liked the levelling until Orr, but wasn’t it you yesterday telling some guy asking for levelling advice that he should grind mobs to level since this is an “Asian grindfest”?

Where are the like buttons on these forums

THE Silverddragn

Posted by: Zugr.2058

Zugr.2058

They took the solo play out of the higher end zones, especially Orr, which really sucks. Running around the Risen areas is rough as you always get attacked by multiple baddies. The most frustrating thing in the higher level areas would be the money, incoming and outgoing. Events pay next to nothing (1s 80c average) but way points are almost the same amount. Don’t die anywhere because you will get the repair bill and the way point fee adding up to roughly 5s depending upon your gear. Sure we get drops to sell but those certainly aren’t scaled to the higher levels. Level 80, in my opinion has been a huge let down overall. Was fun getting there but it’s not nearly as much fun now.

Posted by: snakeboy.3062

snakeboy.3062

I hate Orr and that´s exactly how it should be; it’s an invasion, not an excursion. Just lower the spawn rates and lower the costs for waypoints, that´s what makes it from challenging to annoying.

Posted by: chnmmr.9635

chnmmr.9635

I have to say, that past 60, I started to hate GW2 more and more. At 80 I’m not sure if I want to play the character anymore. The reason?

Risen.

I absolutely HATE these mobs. They move far too fast, swarm too much, have too many roots/holds/stuns/etc and do way way way too much damage. Combat just isn’t fun against them, and all this talk about Orr zones having wonderful areas to explore may be true, but all the utterly overpowered Risen mobs all over the place make me rush through this content to minimise my contact with them.

I don’t understand why ANet made Risen the most frustrating and unfun mobs to fight against I’ve ever seen in an MMO. This coupled with borked aggro mechanics means that far too often a fight goes as follows:

Attack mob.
I get swarmed.
Stunned
Use stun purge
Knocked down
Rooted
Stunned
Beaten down to 10% of health
Stand up, start to fight back.
Stunned
Rooted
Dead.

This happens a LOT when fighting the Orr, especially in personal quests. I don’t see how the devs got from the great game at the start to the level 60+ pile of %^£)".

sigh

Posted by: Badger.9374

Badger.9374

Orr is my least favorite area of the game. The environment is very fitting, but the sheer amount of mobs and the density of said mobs just drives me up the wall. As someone else said – pull, immobilize, sink, pull, immobilize, sink, fear, fear, fear, immobilize – it’s enough to make me ALT+F4 out of frustration.

I don’t want to fight a thousand tightly packed mobs with twice the HP of normal level 80 mobs to get to one Orichalcum vein. It’s not fun. Why don’t I want to fight them? In addition to taking about twice as long to kill than the level 80 Sons of Svanir in the wonderful level 70-80 northern zone, they respawn almost immediately, sometimes while I’m fighting another mob that I managed to pull while fighting the original mob. It’s insanely irritating and needs to be fixed.

ArenaNet said they designed this game based off “Is it fun?” Well, Orr (the three zones) fails the fun test. It is the most frustrating and unfun zone I’ve ever had the misfortune of playing and it’s strange that it is in what is otherwise the most fun MMORPG I’ve ever played.

Giggity.

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

I didnt know this post existed but here ar my thoughts with a link to my post about Orr….

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/ORR-Zones-are-a-painful-no-fun-grind-not-solo-friendly-either/first#post123018

Posted by: warherox.7943

warherox.7943

The only thing I dislike about Orr is that it seems like every Risen in the area has some sort of pull/stun/knock back/etc. It’s not difficult or challenging to be pulled across the map.

I think it would be a lot better if the disables they had didn’t stack, so you could at least stun break out of it and be fine, instead of being chain pulled in a circle by Risen Spiders:P

Doctor Beetus – Burst Engi Maguuma
twitch.tv/doctorbeetus

Posted by: JonnyBigBoss.2071

JonnyBigBoss.2071

I don’t ate Orr but I don’t like it either. It’s buggy and very annoying to be in.

JonnyBigBoss – 80 Engineer
Fort Aspenwood
The Ancient Order [TAO]

Posted by: Saranis.3718

Saranis.3718

I don’t mind the Risen, they can be a bit of a problem, but if you use dodge and other skills to stay out of their attack range than its easy. You really only get swarmed when you aren’t careful about how many you aggro.

Posted by: Tyqer.6413

Tyqer.6413

ArenaNet will be fixing Orr for sure. Just the fact that even I was barely motivated to even run through them at all means there is something wrong. This game is still a work in progress, and that’s a very good thing.

Updates; very fun, very good, very innovative Updates are coming, I assure you. I don’t want to naively put ArenaNet under pressure by me assuming they are going to be fixing Orr, or doing any major changes, but trust me when I say that like Guild Wars 1, this game will improve with time, like any well-developed game.

Fort Aspenwood
Kireta

Angelus.1042

ArenaNet will be fixing Orr for sure. Just the fact that even I was barely motivated to even run through them at all means there is something wrong. This game is still a work in progress, and that’s a very good thing.

Updates; very fun, very good, very innovative Updates are coming, I assure you. I don’t want to naively put ArenaNet under pressure by me assuming they are going to be fixing Orr, or doing any major changes, but trust me when I say that like Guild Wars 1, this game will improve with time, like any well-developed game.

I love this game to and Ive waited years for it…but sadly after a few hours in Orr I have really got that feeling of just wanting to quit thats how bad it is in my eyes and I never thought Id have that issue with GW2 as I have had SO MUCH fun 100%ing every other zone with only Orr left….now I dont really want to grind through it till its fixed.

Its terrible atm…

I hope Anet hears this and does something

Posted by: arcaneclarity.5283

arcaneclarity.5283

Orr is one of the worst places I have seen. It reminds me a lot of the level 50 Rift zone which was just as bad, but smaller.

What makes designers think it is a good idea to make the zones you spend the most time in dark, dreary, bland, filled with a bunch of the same type of mobs, and a pain to get around in? These Orr zones are downright not fun and the worst part of the game.

Posted by: Darmikau.9413

Darmikau.9413

My only gripe with Orr is that it’s THE end farming option. I’d really like to spend my time doing other areas, but the loot is garbage compared to what I can get in Orr. Which is really counterintutive to the whole anti-farm code.

Orr drops the best loot + Everything in Orr is undead = Hit the anti-farm code really quickly

Everywhere but Orr (With the possible exception of Frostgorge) is poor for level 80 characters = You have to stay in Orr.

So what am I supposed to do? Grind out underleveled mobs until I can farm Orr again? Be forced to participate in WvW as someone who is more interested in the PvE aspect of the game?

While I like the level 80 and trait system, it’s really put a hinge on where you can go to get content done. In GW1, especially in Cantha or Elona, you hit the level cap almost immediately and then the entire mainland of the game was level 20 content. This means everywhere you went was worth it in terms of farming, exploration, and generally having something to do. In GW2 if I want to do level appropriate content, I’m just stuck in Orr. I don’t like that.

Posted by: issacTheMarker.8530

issacTheMarker.8530

Problems with orr

1.) high respawn rate
2.) waypoints need to stop being contested it makes traveling very difficult
3.)too many undead for one player esp in the Straits of devastation.

Main concern over all is travel. Straits needs more work than the others.

Angelus.1042

Anet has said that this game is playable if you solo… I feel they forgot that part in the Orr zones. The respawn rate is stupid fast (not counting so many mobs hanging together) and many of the enemies run like they have been on a straight caffeine diet.

I enjoy the difficulty but there is a point where it becomes a painful grind.

Contested waypoints make sense but allow us to actually “uncontest” them and they remain uncontested for a while instead of almost instantly becoming contested again.

Still though biggest thing is respawn…. I will go through the fun and effort of killing 2 veterans under water and some mobs to get that skill point…as Im communing they will spawn back right on top of me and hit me thus causing a loss of the communing for that skill point and usually since so many respawn I get gang banged and have to waypoint for 3 silver back to the other end of the map.

This zone is also a gold sink..then again once you hit level 80 every zone becomes a gold sink

Posted by: lambofodd.7640

lambofodd.7640

The game is all of two weeks old. Writing conspiracy-theorizing paragraphs like a shaolin scribe on crack doesn’t make it any different. Things will get better with time; until then, report bugs and take fun where you can find it.

He who made kittens put snakes in the grass.

Posted by: dvs.4653

dvs.4653

Signed lol Orr is nightmarish.
Think the faster levelers are being separated out here atm probably need to wait a bit for others to catch up. I also don’t think we rushed just some of us play efficiently game is ridiculously easy to level in lol think I got 20 levels just crafting a bit every day.

Posted by: Darkscar.3280

Darkscar.3280

www Another Orr post, If I remember correctly Orr was supposed to be a challangeing zone made for groups/Guilds of 5+ just b/c you or your Guild either #A. Don’t do events togather. Or #B. you or your Guild are scrubz. Shouldnt complain about Orr being hard it wasent made for 1 person to run around there. But Ehh what do I know I’am just a pro who likes a challange this game is way to casual as is.

Posted by: Nepocrates.3642

Nepocrates.3642

I am level 78 and do not think leveling from 70-80 is fun at all. Orr is very frustrating . The spawn rate is sometime silly. But as for a challenge it is not. A duo can pretty much kill most things there excluding bosses. Add a 3rd and you are generally good to go. You never have to talk you just have to run around killing everything. Heck you do not even need to group. just be running around together.

All that said it should stay as it is. This area can appeal to some players, People that love to group, grinder, soloers that love a challenge, and there is nothing wrong with that. Sure it has been a tough couple of days for me but I am sure it is fun for someone. even if I am forced to be here to finish my story.

The only thing I would fix is the contested waypoints. it is annoying. you uncontested them and in 1 min or less they are contested again.

Well see you all in game.

Posted by: Amarinth.8534

Amarinth.8534

I’m currently exploring the last bit of Cursed Shore and I can’t wait to get the hell out of here and never come back.

The reasons I hate Orr with such a fierce passion have already been give by others before me, but what it boils down to is that I find these zones to just be annoying and monotonous. I don’t feel challenged because I simply don’t care. And it’s not just the gameplay (in Orr) I have stopped caring about, it’s the story, the lore, this entire part of the world…

And that’s, I think, the worst failing of Orr for me… I have ended up at a point now where I don’t give a flying kitten about anything that goes on here, including my personal storyline, which I’ve abandoned a while back because I’ve just lost the motivation for it – the idea of seeing the ending isn’t strong enough to warrant playing through any more story instances in Orr (ironically I find the exploration element to be far more compelling than the personal story and world completion is the only reason I’ve stuck it out to the third zone, though I’m really at my limits of tolerance after 4 days in Orr).

(edited by Amarinth.8534)

Posted by: Inune.6214

Inune.6214

The main thing I hate about Orr is the absolutely asinine respawn rate.

I can deal with the insane mob density; I either group up with a buddy or take it slow and steady.

I can deal with mobs CC’ing me, even though when it’s combined with the mob density, it becomes tedious as all hell. It’s just something you suck it up and bear with.

I can deal with all the waypoints being contested by just setting aside a couple hours to get any exploration or event chains done in the zones.

What I cannot deal with is fighting through 30 mobs packed into a 50×50 yard area that all CC the absolute hell out of me, only to stand on the other side 30 minutes later facing more risen in front of me and be aggro’d from behind while I’m figuring out my next move.

If I suffer through a 30 minute slog to clear from the nearest waypoint to a single skill point site, the mobs that I suffered through killing need to STAY. KITTEN. DEAD.

Posted by: Mrpopo.4593

Mrpopo.4593

orr is crazy pain in the butt cant stand it

Posted by: Mexxer.5096

Mexxer.5096

Orr turned out to be the total opposite of what I had in mind….despite how horible the zones look (sure i get the undead theme) but the mobs hit like a truck and are always grouped up as well but the WORST part and the thing that let me down the most about the whole zone in general was the loot

I mean seriously, are the mobs saving up the loot for someone else or something…you’d think level 80 mobs would be more giving and generous in terms of loot…but in Guild wars 2 thats just wishful thinking :/

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

Undead in this game is just no fun to fight against. They also have insane re spawn rate and immobilized you while moving supersonic. So even if you want to just skip them, you can’t. If you want to fight them, since they are so tanky, it take forever and its still no fun. SLOW kills, FAST enemies, not fun! Not even good drops.

So in the end, there is just lots of no fun when doing anything with the risen. I wish dragon minions were anything but undeadkitten I never even liked the undead in any game. The only zombie game I remotely like is left 4 dead and thats cause its fast paced.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

I must be in the minority when I say I rather enjoy Orr. it has the right balance of challenge vs reward, at least for me. i am able to leash 4-7 risen and take them on at the same time using the active dodge and weapon swap mechanics. this is and the dungeons is where player reaction speed, timing and prediction all culminate in combat harmony. likewise I am able to avoid certain mobs using LOS and terrain to my advantage using certain skills. you can make a ton of coin in 10m WITHOUT zerging de’s…in fact I avoid them because it takes away from the feeling that this end game is supposed to be difficult. for those claiming this area is too tough, it’s end game…I believe the devs have it right in terms of difficulty.

for those saying this area is monotonous…I wonder if those players are zerging de’s. get out and explore this ugly area. it’s supposed to be ugly, which I think succeeds in it’s aesthetic. if this place is supposed to be ugly, it is beautifully so.

get your 70+ yellows and salv for ectos, mine ori, harvest omnom for bars to increase coin drops, sell those stacks of 50+ leather straps for a ton of coin….this area is ideally designed for end game.

special mention goes to the god events, of which lyssa is my favorite because of the level of coordination needed between parties to complete it.

thumbs up to the devs for this.

Posted by: Kalocin.5982

Kalocin.5982

I actually liked the pirate zone more and would love to play there but you just don’t get as much money and karma in lower level zones…My issue with Orr isn’t that there is a ton of mobs but rather there are a ton of mobs just standing still doing nothing, and they are all the same. It’s basically like somebody just used a mob stamp all over the map and it makes the zone feel very fake. If the mobs were varied or even just walking around a larger space it would make the zone a lot more believable.

Posted by: Amlin.6041

Amlin.6041

Orr is definitely my least liked zone in GW2…in fact I will be bold enough to say that it is my least liked zones in any MMO…ever.

It is a massive slog to mow through mobs just to get from one way point to the next, oh sure you can run through them and the like but still the place is just a major pain to get around. Worst part about it is just makes getting to events really hard or just a major hassle, I’m starting to see less and less people doing the ones further away from the outposts just because of the gauntlet you need to run through.

With waypoints being annoyingly costly in the long run at 80, players will just coalesce to the events which are easier to get to, and I’m 100% sure you all know which ones I’m talking about Anet.

Posted by: eladox.3457

eladox.3457

What pisses me off is every kitten mob have some kind of cc, if i pull more than 2 i am basicly kitten since i will only get perma cced to death, i can run past them because they will pull me, blink on me, knock me back or slow me. Its ridiculous and boring.

Posted by: Wazabi.1439

Wazabi.1439

Hated it like Op puts it… though I understand how some of the things I dislike needs to tie up with the lore….

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I don’t understand all the Orr hate. I sort of like it. Broken DEs and lack of mob variety i will agree with though.

Posted by: lazykoala.3809

lazykoala.3809

Not really a big fan of Orr either for most of the OP’s reasons. It feels like they ran out of time and just stuffed the zone full of risen and similar terrain features. As annoying as it is though, a few of the DE chains are actually quite fun and epic.

Posted by: Faul.8109

Faul.8109

The level 80 zone does surely need some design attention.

When I was leveling a glass-cannon grenade engineer, exploring all of the maps, wearing only ravager equipment, it offered some challenge. But for a post leveling zone it fails imo.

The “challenge” was very satisfying when leveling on the other Orr maps.

On those 2 maps I was even considering respeccing to have some quickness and readying some condition removal skills to get rid of an occasional movement impairing effect and be able to explore more carelessly.

Glad I kept the glass cannon spec because sheer AoE damage is more effective in the last map since the ammount of CC inflicted by the mobs on that said map is just insane and then you need to stop to get rid of the pests anyways.

Now my engineer is at lvl 80 wearing only a single rare weapon and the rest of the “traveler’s” equipment of masterwork or fine quality, and having to stop every minute or so to get rid of 5+ mobs chasing me isn’t challenging, far from it. And it also doesn’t pose any difficulty for a fair share of players I’ve seen. It’s pure annoyance plain and simple.

On a side note the teleport fees need to be addressed ASAP. There’s a character level component on the amount that needs to be removed. When you’re in a lvl 1-15 zone you end up paying 1s+ per teleport while inside the zone with a character at level 80 and it costs just a few copper for a level 10 character. This is somewhat disencouraging for exploration of lower level maps as a level 80 character.

Posted by: Clem.2963

Clem.2963

Orr was clearly designed to be conquered with a large group of people. Problem is, (at least, this early in the game) there’s rarely enough people around to help do something.

I dunno why they thought it was a good idea to put tough boss events right on top of skillpoints, because it can be really difficult at times just to get enough people together to help clear the event.

Hopefully once the more casual players reach level 70-80 and start entering the Orr region, it won’t be such a challenge.

(edited by Clem.2963)

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

Orr is subpar; I find there’s practically no one in there to group up with for all that group content, because there’s virtually no solo content to attract them. The temples are interesting, so I guess it’s not all bad, but between the misjudged balance of group vs. solo content, the ugly art style, and kitten mobs that all have some ability to make running through a pain, I avoid the place like it’s zombie infested.

Problem is, (at least, this early in the game) there’s rarely enough people around to help do something.

If there’s not enough people now, there will never be enough people in the future.

As I understand it, it was active during the first week, when all the folks with beta experience leveled quickly and stormed through the place.

But every MMO I’ve ever played reinforces the idea that these zones will always be ghost towns.

At least there’s Frostgorge Sound, though that’s already growing very repetitive and I don’t even spend all that much time there (only while waiting on WvW queues).

(edited by Ansultares.1567)

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

“They’re pretty ugly zones, with weird Oceanic stuff covering everything on land… almost like the zone was originally intended to be underwater, then they just plopped the terrain down on land-level at the last minute”

lol

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

Posted by: knightblaster.8027

knightblaster.8027

I am also in the Orr haters camp. I love the game, but I really dislike that zone — it’s unfun. I get what they were trying to do with it (make a PITA zone where the high level mats are), but it’s just more of a chore than anything else in a game I play for fun, so at this point I don’t bother with Orr at all.

Posted by: Mickey.4207

Mickey.4207

Reached Orr yesterday. Lvl 75 and lost will to level to 80 from PVE due to the reasons OP mentioned.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.