Level 80, now what?

Level 80, now what?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Cazio.2137

Cazio.2137

Hit level 80 on my necro and I feel lost. What should I be doing now?

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

What were you doing before you hit level 80?

Level 80, now what?

Cazio.2137

Leveling…

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Well, most level 80s I know do things like get their 100% world completion (if they don’t have it), run fractals (if they can stand it), do their dailies, play SPvP or WvW regularly, run dungeons for armor sets, grind gold or mats for their exotics, etc. I guess it comes down to what you already have done and what you still want to work towards.

Level 80, now what?

Zenith.6403

You can still gain levels by farming experience and get skill points, if that is what you enjoy doing.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Rhaj.5261

Rhaj.5261

Basically just PvP or do the dungeons that you like.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Enzo Kensei.9850

Enzo Kensei.9850

Well, you could do the 100% map, putting the 2 professions to 400, do the jumping puzzles, do fractals and if that is not enough, you could help your server @ WvW

Kensei
[LUSA]

Level 80, now what?

Cazio.2137

I want to develop my character. Things like map completion are of little interest to me.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If you’re only going to make your character more powerful (I ask because that’s not what developing my character means to me), then you’re out of luck, really. You can get skill points to buy more skills, you can get better gear, by getting exotics if you don’t have them or going to the fractals for ascended gear, but that’s not really what this game is about. If that’s all you want, I’m not sure anyone here can help you.

Level 80, now what?

Cazio.2137

I am starting to wonder what this game actually is about.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

What’s there to wonder about? There’s a world out there, which you can play in and do stuff as you like. You can make friends and go do things, dungeons, Fractals, Dynamic Event chains, map completions, stupid silly roleplaying in Lion’s Arch . . .

Or you can hop into WvW and play that.

Or you can move to PvP, challenge yourself doing well there.

This game is “about” stuff as clearly as any other MMO out there currently. Even GW1 had “what’s this game about?” even when it had seven significant storylines going on (of varying lengths).

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

Sadly, log in and log out in my case. Hey, I can still haunt the forums!

Leman

Level 80, now what?

Cazio.2137

What’s there to wonder about? There’s a world out there, which you can play in and do stuff as you like. You can make friends and go do things, dungeons, Fractals, Dynamic Event chains, map completions, stupid silly roleplaying in Lion’s Arch . . .

This game is “about” stuff as clearly as any other MMO out there currently. Even GW1 had “what’s this game about?” even when it had seven significant storylines going on (of varying lengths).

What is the point of anything you named if you can not further develop your character while doing so?

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: THM.2036

THM.2036

Your character doesn’t stop developing after 80. You can refine it better, by getting better gear and tweaking your spec here and there to suit your playstyle. I don’t believe you have optimised your character if you have just hit 80.

Level 80, now what?

Cazio.2137

Your character doesn’t stop developing after 80. You can refine it better, by getting better gear and tweaking your spec here and there to suit your playstyle. I don’t believe you have optimised your character if you have just hit 80.

Never said I have done everything. Getting better gear is what I want to do but I have no idea where to start. There is no way I have the gold to buy the stuff on trader.

Level 80, now what?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

What is the point of anything you named if you can not further develop your character while doing so?

What’s the point of doing ANYthing, period? To entertain yourself and take your mind off how much grind and unfair loot tables exists in real life. It’s the point of playing games, going to the movies, having a girlfriend (or boyfriend), owning a pet . . .

Really, what answer are you fishing for here?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

I want to develop my character. Things like map completion are of little interest to me.

If that’s the case then run the FOTM dungeon and gear yourself in ascended accessories. You’re the type of player ANet were trying to please when the threw together that dungeon.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

First of all, getting better gear is not the same as getting gear with different appearance. People from the original Guild Wars are far more used to going for a completely cosmetic solution to what they can do. They look at all the dungeon sets from the dungeon vendors in Lion’s Arch and decides, well that looks really cool. I want that dungeon set. It might not have the right stats for their build, but that’s what transmutation stones are for.

Unlike traditional MMOs, there is a relatively low stat ceiling in Guild Wars 2. This isn’t a disadvantage, it’s an advantage. Other games have made gear so important, you’re not a hero yourself, you’re a coatrack for greatness. It’s your gear that’s great. In Guild Wars 2, gear is considerably less important.

Each dungeon had four paths (except for Arah which have five). You might want to start completing those. That’s 33 dungeon paths if you include story mode. Then there’s the fractals of the mists.

You should give WvW a try too, that can be a lot of fun. And some people really like SPvP.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

To get better gear, you can go for exotics, which you can get by farming karma in Orr and through dailies and monthlies and buy it from the vendors in Orr at all the temples. Or you can run any of the dungeons and get exotic gear from them; there are online resources to show you what each dungeon set looks like and such. Or you can craft exotics if crafting is your thing. There is also exotic gear available in WvW if that is something you like.

Other than exotic weapons, armor, and jewelry, you can get ascended gear that is better than exotics. Ascended gear is available by doing the Fractals of the Mists dungeon in Lion’s Arch and by doing your dailies for laurels. The fractals dungeon can help you get your ascended rings and back piece, and laurels can get you ascended amulets and rings. But that’s all the ascended there is so far, but they’ll be adding more in the game later.

Finally, you can go for legendary weapons if you want cool-looking weapons like that. Legendary weapons are a lot of work unless you simply buy them off the Trading Post, but it gives you something to do if you like an involved task to accomplish.

Level 80, now what?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Personally, I think some of the uniquely named Exotics look better than Legendary. I also really really like the skin on the Lionguard Axe.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

*Find a build.

• get exotics/ascended gear to support that build using dungeons, fractals, crafting, or karma from temples.
  • Try for a legendary or a rare skin on a weapon
  • Do jumping puzzles and personal story in between

If you are looking for a starting point, start doing Ascalonian Catacombs dungeon runs. Try to NOT skip kholer and the troll. Dungeons help you fine tune your class.

I would also recommend CoF path 1 runs. Doesn’t have to be 4war/1mes speed runs either…you can make about 3 gold an hour.

Fractals are also a nice option. They are like mini dungeons shuffled up. Start with any fractal groups under 9 until you get to 10. Then watch out for agony
You definitely are going to see the flaws in your build as you tackle dungeon. As you progress, you will adjust your gear, your build, and your playstyle.
————
For a necromancer, I humbly suggest the necro glass cannon build. (Axe/Focus + Dagger/focus; 30/0/0/10/30

The gear can be attained by farming CoF or crafting. I recommend just farming the tokens as you’ll basically get the gear free AND make money.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

same as before: grind. but now you should grind armor and ascended stuff. or go play anoher game which will probably be more fun.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

same as before: grind. but now you should grind armor and ascended stuff. or go play anoher game which will probably be more fun.

Pretty much this.

You can join the boring zerging in wvw.

Join the 12 or so people that still do spvp.

If you want to pve you either grind events for karma for gear, grind dungeons for tokens for gear, grind mobs for crafting mats to make your own gear, or do all of it to make gold to buy gear from the TP.

Once you have done the events/dungeons hundreds of times or crafted the gear you quit playing because there is nothing else to do.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

Pretty much this.

If you want to pve you either grind events for karma for gear, grind dungeons for tokens for gear, grind mobs for crafting mats to make your own gear, or do all of it to make gold to buy gear from the TP.

Once you have done the events/dungeons hundreds of times or crafted the gear you quit playing because there is nothing else to do.

Please keep contributing to these forums.
We need more people like you who stopped playing to sacrifice their precious time and make sure to keep as many people away from GW2.
You are a special martyr, deserve a medal and a monument!

1+1 = potato

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

Pretty much this.

We need more people like you who stopped playing to sacrifice their precious time and make sure to keep as many people away from GW2.

I am sorry the truth hurts your feelings

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

Pretty much this.

Since when truth was a subjective thing?

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

What do you do to progress once you hit 80? Go run dungeons until you get a full set of exotics. Get a full set of exotic jewelry while you are at it, then go run Fractals to get Ascended rings and back. Otherwise, have fun. Get the gear with the stats you want, then run dungeons and such to get the look you want to go with the stats you want.

Enjoy the rest of the open world and make use of all the content they gave you.

If you are here to do dungeons, then heroic dungeons, then raids followed by hard mode raids, then you are in the wrong game.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

Pretty much this.

I feel like my whole 1200 hours were a lie, what was it all for?
Is this real? is life real? is there a meaning to all of it?

What will I do next? so many questions, so little answers.
Thank you for opening my eyes, and many others to come.

1+1 = potato

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

This is how I feel about character progression when you hit 80:
A new 80 is sort of like a new lvl 1- you might be max lvl but you are still very wet behind the ears.

When I hit 80 I played around with different builds, gear and really learned my class, to see what works best for me in different scenarios- I became a much better player.
Orr is also not bad for finding flaws in your play-style at least it was.

When I decided what build I wanted for my main I set out to get the perfect gear.
When I got the perfect gear- I started on the perfect look, all the while improving my play.

Now I am doing that on other classes to broaden my experience even more.

If you are looking for vertical progression I guess you are stuck with FoTM

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

You can keep doing what you were doing for fun before you hit 80, the main thing I love about this game is that it doesn’t randomly change into something else when you reach the level cap.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Level 80, now what?

Cazio.2137

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check some of them out.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Ranlea.8270

Ranlea.8270

I think everyone is different in terms of what they want to do in game, either at level cap or below.

From my own personal view at level 80, I am currently getting quite a lot of fun in completing the story-line chain. After that I may focus on leveling professions, in particular cooking. That means gathering things, which in turn leads itself onward to 100% world completion as well as exploring, obtaining all my skill and trait points, alongside a bit more lore.

At the moment I cannot commit to playing on a regular basis due to work/life issues, but GW2 is almost ideal in these circumstances as there is not a substantial material difference in stats with equipable items (from rare upwards) unlike the way other MMO games are structured. And of course auto mentoring impacts.

Finally I may try the end game options with PvE/PvP although that needs more playing time (uncertain atm), but my overall view of the game as a whole is very positive.

In short I am a casual player, that can be hard in other games as you are either being “carried” by other party/guild members, or you are taking advantage. GW2 solves that problem.

Finally I think there is plenty of content for more hard core players in one way or another, just a personal view

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Phaedre.2053

Phaedre.2053

Some constructive comments here, as I posted in another similar thread I find myself in a similar directionless situation. Thanks Celtic Lady especially for giving some detail – long time players seem to take for granted that everyone is born knowing what to do and where to do it without having to find out.

I see a disjunction though between two views expressed. One view is that ‘you just keep doing the same as you were doing before 80’ and the other is that ‘you should do dungeon X, dungeon Y and dungeon Z’. I haven’t done any of the dungeons here yet, was quite happy playing in open world, the personal story, and crafting. So which is true?

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Mentalhead.5721

Mentalhead.5721

As a lvl 80 with maxed out crafting and exotic gear I don’t see what I can do on lvl 80, so I made an alt. However, the question remains, what then? Personally, I don’t want to get 100% on entire map, so I was thinking about focusing on WvW or PvP, but I’m mostly a PvE kind of guy, and not a dungeon crawler. So I have to say that I feel bit bored.

Currently I’m trying to get my monthly and laurels for T6 materials, because I’m tired of grinding Orr and Frostgorge Sound, but after 20 days of doing this, it starts to feel like a chore. Maybe I’ll focus on PvP or WvW for a while, but still, I would like more progression in PvE.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

At 80 you do pretty much what you’ve been doing all along…

Dungeons
sPVP
WvW
100% Exploration
Dailies
Monthlies

For some reason I don’t understand what more could someone want “as a PVE only player” that doesn’t play alts, doesn’t like dungeons, doen’t like PVP… what exactly would you want from the game? Continue leveling forever?

Level 80, now what?

Zenith.6403

Never said I have done everything. Getting better gear is what I want to do but I have no idea where to start. There is no way I have the gold to buy the stuff on trader.

- If you’ve just reached level 80 you still have lots of improvement to make to your character:

• Full exotic armor and weapons with optimal sigils and runes
  • Ascended amulets and rings; exotic backpack and accessories
  • Maximizing crafter professions and learning the weapon skills if you skipped any

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Leveling…

I think this is a pretty iconic answer.
It sounds like “What have you been doing from your birth to today?” “Aging…”.

Before lvl 80 you were just, uh, “leveling”. And now that new numbers to chase are gone, you ask what you must do.

Raise your eyes above the yellow bar and look at what’s around you, do what you enjoy, make friends, complete different content, get gear you like, try new builds, kill some invaders, win a tournament, complete maps, enjoy some events, get into a few fractals…

Videogames are here to offer entertainment, enjoy it.

Level 80, now what?

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

If you feel like you’re missing leveling too much, put GW2 down for a few days and play this: http://progressquest.com/

I think this is a pretty iconic answer.

‘depressing’ was the word that came to my mind.

(edited by Naqaj.6219)