Level up rewards for after lvl 80?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Strongfort.2451

Strongfort.2451

I know the new leveling system is under much controversy, but I want to talk about a very specific part of it. The level up rewards.

I am a huge fan of this, as well as all my friends who’ve been playing. The new rewards are great and add a ton of excitement to your level up. Sometimes they are not the best, sometimes they are excellent, but either way it makes leveling up extra rewarding and is a huge improvement in my opinion.

However, one thing I feel this has left is a sense of disappointment on max level characters for us. While playing on 80s, others are excited upon leveling as they get something new, but my 80 simply levels up without any real celebration.

I’m guessing the devs felt that continuing the level up rewards at 80 would be too much and give players too much loot, affecting the economy, but I can’t help wish max levels still got some sort of reward system.

What if it was a reduced version of the the rewards. Still giving the skill point, but also adding a small extra item or something? Maybe a coin bag and/or a loot bag. Maybe an occasional rare quality item, or an ectoplasm. Maybe with a very rare chance of an exotic item? Something enough to add a level of excitement for an 80 when they level, but not enough to throw economy way out of balance?

Perhaps I’m alone in this thought, but I figured I’d ask here to see what others thought. Perhaps there’s a great reason this could/should not happen I’m unaware, or maybe it’ll be a good forum to discuss that the devs will appreciate the feedback about.

Thanks!

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

A random Loot bag and small amount of coin or a random green+quality weapon would be awesome. Something small would be nifty.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I had a level 79 character waiting to level to 80 after the patch.
The reward is one Obsidian Shard.

EDIT: Oh, you mean AFTER we’re already level 80. Well that would be nice too.

Strongfort.2451

Yeah, after 80. Sorry – thanks for noticing, I changed the title to reflect that.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Yeah, got that too…was a bit disappointed. The 78>79 reward was a Large crafting bag, which was pretty cool. But yeah, a level up reward after 80 would be kind cool. Maybe something link a champ bag or something. Heck even a heavy bag could be cool. I don’t know.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Maybe not something with an direct economic effect, but a buff?
A short Magic Find boost?
Traveling buff?
…doesn’t the game give those when you volunteer to switch maps now? :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Traveling buff?

It gives it to you when you voluntarily leave a low-population map.

Posted by: Lodius.5392

Lodius.5392

There is a reward! You get 1 free skill point!

Just level up 50 times and you can purchase an Eldritch Scroll! You Lucky punk!!!

Strongfort.2451

Traveling buff?

Yeah. Something small would be nice. It would just make leveling up more fun at max level.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think something akin to when Dyes used to drop. It was usually just some common dye you already had, but there was a chance for something really cool. And I was always excited to open (identify) the dye.

Not Dyes, but a bag/chest/something that had a random chance for something desirable. Desirable things being different things to different players, of course.

But, yes, the Level-up rewards are one of my favorite parts of the NPE. =)

Strongfort.2451

I think something akin to when Dyes used to drop. It was usually just some common dye you already had, but there was a chance for something really cool. And I was always excited to open (identify) the dye.

Not Dyes, but a bag/chest/something that had a random chance for something desirable. Desirable things being different things to different players, of course.

But, yes, the Level-up rewards are one of my favorite parts of the NPE. =)

Oh man, I didn’t think about dyes!? A chance at a random dye would be cool as heck!

Posted by: BossikCZE.2958

BossikCZE.2958

Its pretty sad, I have 1 character level 80 and miss reward like obsidian shard, I dont want to know the others? Jesus, thats not fair guys, why cant you give us the rewards too? Its pretty unfair… And level another character due to this? I dont have time for that 8-(

Posted by: BossikCZE.2958

BossikCZE.2958

Its pretty sad, I have 1 character level 80 and miss reward like obsidian shard, I dont want to know the others? Jesus, thats not fair guys, why cant you give us the rewards too? Its pretty unfair… And level another character due to this? I dont have time for that 8-(

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If you’ve been playing long enough to have an 80, there’s a good chance you’re well ahead of the curve of most of the game’s currencies.

New people have a whole lot of catching up to do.

The question is would you give up everything you’ve earned playing your 80 to get those rewards? If not, what you are complaining about.

At any rate, you can start a new character and get those rewards right now.

Posted by: Ashandar.2570

Ashandar.2570

They are level up rewards.. if you want them you have to make a new toon. Then you can get your one single obsidian shard and one black lion key. 98% of the rewards are items you will never use on a lvl 80 toon (because they are the level you are when you get them) and you are not able to sell them.

In due time, all will serve the asura.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Just level up 50 times and you can purchase an Eldritch Scroll! You Lucky punk!!!

You also gain full health and an AoE knockback, which comes in handy in tight spots.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

It’s 1 obsidian shard. That’s like 2500 karma?

you can get 6 obsidian shard just doing tequalt.

you can see the level up rewards here. Most of them are bind on pickup so you can’t even sell them.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level_rewards

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Most of those level rewards are nice for a first character, maybe.
I guess the exotics would be nice for salvaging too assuming you can salvage them.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Most of those level rewards are nice for a first character, maybe.
I guess the exotics would be nice for salvaging too assuming you can salvage them.

Nope, can’t salvage the exotics. Otherwise they woulda flooded tp with superior runes of travelers (which I wish they woulda done). And I think I got 2 (maybe 3) exotics from the lvl up chests from ~lvl65.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

It ain’t all that, I’ve been leveling a new toon since the patch (currently at lvl 66) and yeah I got a BL key somewhere along the way that opened one of the 100+ chests I have in my bank….. it was mostly boosters and one scrap ticket. So far (and I don’t expect it to change) all the rewards have been level specific that yeah I could use leveling the toon or they have been traits points, and crafting materials that I already have a ton of.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I believe the OP was being sarcastic? I mean, he has to be, right? An obsidian shard?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I didn’t really mind not getting ll the level up bonuses on my 80s. I’d be flooded with junk if I had. Besides, I have 6 characters that I’m in the process of leveling, and they get all the stuff anyway.

My biggest gripe with the leveling goodies is that I can neither sell nor salvage the kitten things when I’m done with them (which is my typical course of action), if I have use for the item at all. Instead I have to right click → destroy. It makes me feel like I’m being punished rather than rewarded.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

You also gain full health and an AoE knockback, which comes in handy in tight spots.

Don’t forget that awesome pose you strike for a split second! That’s a reward in and of itself!

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]