Leveling

Leveling

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Curby.4897

Curby.4897

I am a very serious veteran of the game. I use to have an Ok time leveling. I come back to it now and what the ever loving crap happened. Anet has locked off everything and made it an actual grind to get the stuff you want to use.

What happened to the freedom of the game when it first came out?

Leveling

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Care to explain what crap you are grinding and frankly why are you grinding? Leveling is still 20ish hours the long way around (no crafting or tomes of knowledge). Freedom is a fairly random word when applied to a game as well.

Leveling

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I think what he means is “Why can’t I unlock the skills I want by using the weapon of my choice? How come my skills are level locked instead?”

I wish I knew why ArenaNet changed this but I dont =(

Leveling

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

I believe that was a part of the New Player Experience back in September of 2014? Lots of things are now unlocked at specific levels instead of being unlocked from the start or through skill usage. It’s a bit annoying for weapon skills and for classes like Elementalist that don’t get access to all of their attunements until level 15 or so but ultimately it’s not that bad and you’ll likely adjust quickly.

On the plus side every level gives you some kind of a reward now, be it items or skill points, which will help to keep your gear up to date, and you’ll have all of your utility slots unlocked pretty quick too (before 20). I would suggest planning ahead so you can choose which utilities and trait lines you’d like to unlock first and have them ready for levels 21, 45 and 72 (which unlocks your 1st, 2nd and 3rd trait lines, respectively). Speaking of traits, while they may feel like they have a bit less freedom than before, they are considerably stronger allowing you to take more traits now and even giving access to GM traits as early as level 21, provided you’ve unlocked them.

You cannot undo spent Hero points, but you do get enough to max out every trait and skill (except Elite specs) by the time you reach 80 even without doing a single Hero challenge. So while poorly spent points may make leveling a bit more troublesome, they won’t hurt you in the long run.

Leveling

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The NPE basically pushed back unlocks by 10 levels, but also made leveling from 1 to about 13 around 10x faster.

I wish I knew why ArenaNet changed this but I dont =(

Unlocking a weapon was fine the first time, but it just became a grind. Finding a new weapon only to have 1 skill unlocked was simply annoying. It was even worse when you played a class like an elementalist, where you had to unlock each attunement. It took about 40 kills to unlock the 5 skills at early levels and depending on how you played, it could take minutes at a populated event, or hours if you were more of an explorer. You could run through what is now the first chapter of the personal story for example, and barely get enough kills to unlock your weapon.

At 80, I remember people not even having their underwater skills unlocked in dungeons and personally, I remember not having them all unlocked in Orr.

Leveling

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

If getting to level 10 is a huge issue I really don’t know what to say. The only way I can think if to not get to level 10 in a very short period of time is to not move around and only kill mobs that spawn right beside you. Exploration gives huge exp, killing mobs that have not been killed in a while gives huge exp, doing event chains gives a lot. Posting on forums does not give in game exp.

Leveling

Posted by: Torzini.1523

Torzini.1523

If getting to level 10 is a huge issue I really don’t know what to say. The only way I can think if to not get to level 10 in a very short period of time is to not move around and only kill mobs that spawn right beside you. Exploration gives huge exp, killing mobs that have not been killed in a while gives huge exp, doing event chains gives a lot. Posting on forums does not give in game exp.

This. Leveling at the lower levels should be so quick that this thread seems like complaining for the sake of complaining.

Leveling

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t think anything actually unlocks later now. For a brief time that was the case – for about a month after the September 2014 feature pack you got your elite at level 41, traits were later than they are now and there may have been some other things I don’t remember. But they reverted that.

They did change it so that a bunch of things that used to be available from the start now unlock as you’re levelling up, like profession skills (F1-4) and weapon skills. But they all unlock in the first few levels.

Combined with the fact that levels 1-10 are much quicker than the used to be the overall result is a very minor change for veteran players and (apparently) a lot fewer new players getting confused by the game.

Usually when I’m levelling up (I make a lot of new characters) it only takes me the first few hearts to get to level 10. Less if there are events going on. And from that point on it doesn’t feel any different to how it used to be.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”