Leveling an alt is so much more tedious now

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

The tedium that has been introduced by reducing trait point acquisition is so much worse than the previous system – i struggle to find any enthusiasm for grinding out 5 levels just to see any improvement – i hate it.

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

However, all your other characters seem to earn a millyun Tomes of Knowledge each hour now.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

I find once you hit 80, the levels come fast which is backwards to how it should be.

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Hop in and do some sPvP hotjoin. Doesn’t take long, and you get plenty of leveling tomes and skill point scrolls.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Posted by: RlyOsim.2497

RlyOsim.2497

eotm says hi.
5 levels per hour.

The Ghost of Christmas Past

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

I find once you hit 80, the levels come fast which is backwards to how it should be.

not really, if 1-80 were easy complaint would be “i just bought this game and its too easy cos i reached max level too quick.”
the machine can’t tell the difference between if this is your alt or yur partners/relatives first charactor on your acount. so they added loads of tomes etc to help ease the process, the cat dumb the game down completely

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

Shaogin.2679

Also good point. If you are wanting to level up an alt, dont spend all of your tomes on your level 80. Save them up and then when you decided to make an alt just fly through the levels.

Gate of Madness

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

maybe because i skipped almost 40 levels with tomes and the birthday book, and because i have tons of hoarded XP boosters, but leveling seems pretty fast and fun, even ignoring personal story. i just pick some traits to chase, and start doing whatever it takes to get them. by the time i’m done, i’ve leveled 5-10 times.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Illogical.6218

Illogical.6218

yeh because owning a level 80 alt without knowing how to play it is really useful

Sunshine.4680

yeh because owning a level 80 alt without knowing how to play it is really useful

Well it’s a good thing that when you reach 80 it’s not game over. Really doesn’t help that while leveling up you only learn a few tricks of your class because open world pve is easy and yet there are only a few lower level dungeons in which most of the time lower levels get kicked, unless with friends.

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

Queen’s Gauntlet is great for leveling lowbies. Went from 1-80 in a week.
The XP from the events on each champ, then the huge boost after completion and then the donation XP for spending a single silver? almost a guaranteed level each run.

Not including the Tomes you can also buy from the tokens if you do enough as well.

Duty is heavier than death.

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

You will learn to play ur class even better if you just do pvp and lvl with scrolls from there ^^

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Actually it’s still kitten easy. It’s just less fun now.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Tomes are easy to get for a level 80. And I bet (or at least hope) most people with a level 80 would know the basic game mechanics well enough to pug their way through and not drag others down.

Other option, do map completion on an alt. 1 map easily makes about 5 levels. It’s a lot more fun if you distract yourself from watching the EXP bar.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

lol, I have 1 or 2 80’s that never even bought the level 40/level 60 trait books until they hit 80. I crafted to 80 once or twice also without leaving my home city at all and didn’t learn the mechanics of said class til I ventured into the openworld.

You have all the time in the world to learn how to play a class.

@op, I agree with the first part of you statement though…think I liked the first system better and certainly the UI. I’d rather have the drop down windows back when looking at traits instead of the side bar. Maybe if they put just the locked traits -ONLY- over there and the general description of objectives you must complete, then I would be happy. Right now it just feels clunky compared to before.

Go to this window, go to that window. Can drag from this window over to that window. Can select from this window to fill spot in that window.

Before we just had one window with drop downs.

(edited by Akari Storm.6809)

Sunshine.4680

Yea I know, the whole leveling up makes you learn your class shtick is annoying. You won’t need half your weapons/skills for most of the content and for some classes all it is, is well.. mass stealth, reflects and might stacking. Holy Geez that r so hard!!11! The only hard part is learning when to dodge and from how tired I am from work can be I’m a supreme kungkittendodger landing on swords and kicking people in the face, to slap stick 3 stooges type play where everything hits me -.-

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

I leveled 1 of each profession, mainly by repeating fast recharging events…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

However, all your other characters seem to earn a millyun Tomes of Knowledge each hour now.

Seen only 1 the entire 2 yrs I’ve played.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

You can ebay your level 80 and learn how to play it well within a week. This is GW2, you have 14 skill related buttons.

[DONE]

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

You can ebay your level 80 and learn how to play it well within a week. This is GW2, you have 14 skill related buttons.

So what you are saying is that more skill buttons = harder to learn how to play? Sorry no. Rift was easier than any game to learn to play and it is a mega button game.

People still do not doge, roll, whatever – they stand in one place, which does not work with the mechanics in this game.

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

I have 11 lvl 80 characters. I can tell you that leveling now is way faster than at the beginning. Just go to EotM. You don’t need all the traits and skills while leveling there. Just spam 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 F 1 1 1 1 1…

Posted by: Arcade Fire.4895

Arcade Fire.4895

Leveling an alt shouldn’t be TOO easy. This prevents players from starting new classes and being absolutely clueless with it and expecting the rest of the group to carry them through a dungeon/fotm/whatever.

Shaogin.2679

Not really understanding why people think it is so hard to learn a class. Several times I have made a level 2 character and went into sPvP with it, and done great. I just take the time to look over weapon, skill, and talent choices. It’s pretty easy to quickly understand how a class works and put together a build that works for you.

Gate of Madness

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

How?

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Posted by: Sturmruger.3920

Sturmruger.3920

No its not. I have a new character thats level 33 now. Only played it for about 3 evenings and used no tomes or boosters. If leveling were any easier it would be pathetic.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

No its not. I have a new character thats level 33 now. Only played it for about 3 evenings and used no tomes or boosters. If leveling were any easier it would be pathetic.

He’s not talking about leveling. He’s talking about acquiring traits. It’s amazing how many people don’t understand this.

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

As a new player I have to say the new Trait system sucks when the Trait you want at 30-35 you have to be alvl 50 to even get to the area to unlock it !

Or spend a ridiculous amount of Gold and skill points you will need later to get them !!

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

This was the argument I favored before the patch – trait-based skills come more slowly now, meaning less time than before to learn them… especially any skills from those last couple trait points.

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Not really understanding why people think it is so hard to learn a class. Several times I have made a level 2 character and went into sPvP with it, and done great. I just take the time to look over weapon, skill, and talent choices. It’s pretty easy to quickly understand how a class works and put together a build that works for you.

It’s not a matter of difficulty – some classes take getting used to – ele timing took a bit to get the hang of, and the engineer bundle-swapping was a little weirder. I’ll grant you, though, my first class – thief – was extremely easy. Only thing you have to learn with melee’s is dodge timing and distance estimation for distance closers.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The first time a trait is unlocked by a profession in the account, the price in the trainers should be reduced greatly. Something like 2.5 silver+1 skill point, 10 silver+2 skillpoints and and 30 silver+3 skillpoints.
And they should become unlocked for PvP for the entire account for no additional cost.

For example: do everything with a ranger, all other rangers have everything in PvP, and they have it cheaper in trainers for PvE/WvW.

So doing everything once with each profession would unlock everything in PvP, and greatly reduce the costs in trainers for any other character, until a new profession is added. Then you have to do everything with that one profession once again to get the PvP unlock and the cheaper training for that profession.

Something similar happened in GW1, in which once you had all skills of a profession unlocked, the other professions had a much easier time to get them in PvE, and PvP characters and heroes had them unlocked for no additional cost.

You still could go do the quests to get them for free again if you wanted to, but you didn’t have to spend another small fortune after you bought them all in the last trainer of each campaign, nor spend as much time as when you did all quests once.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

He’s not talking about leveling. He’s talking about acquiring traits. It’s amazing how many people don’t understand this.

Then he should change the title.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Or, you could read his post first and see what he actually meant
btw… yes, the new trait acquisition sucks. It’s a really harsh gold sink for new accounts.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Wizzey.7845

Wizzey.7845

Queen’s Gauntlet is great for leveling lowbies. Went from 1-80 in a week.
The XP from the events on each champ, then the huge boost after completion and then the donation XP for spending a single silver? almost a guaranteed level each run.

Not including the Tomes you can also buy from the tokens if you do enough as well.

Off topic: You are literally that guy no one wants in gold boss blitzes.

On Topic: I also agree, many of the mid tier skill acquisitions are like 100% complete (insert map here) which is really tedious and I imagine would be repetitive to be done on multiple characters. Additionally, the gold prices for buying the higher tier traits are really steep practically making the event mandatory.

zenleto.6179

Or, you could read his post first and see what he actually meant
btw… yes, the new trait acquisition sucks. It’s a really harsh gold sink for new accounts.

How do you know I didn’t read the post? I don’t care one way or the other about the new trait system.

And don’t wink at me, it’s creepy.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

We wanted skill hunting, they gave us trait buying.

Anet failed to deliver.

My 6th 80 is gonna take a looooong time.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I levelled a necro recently to use for WvW and the trait system was frustrating. I had to grind it to 80 before I could unlock enough to learn the class properly. It should be that we learn it as we go, but it doesn’t work like that at all now.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Just leveled a new elementalist to 80 in the last days .. and she has exactly now 7 traits since i only bought those that i wanted to use, so no place for experiments until you want to pay. Yeah .. really sooo much better than the old system

The good thing was, that thanks to birthday-booster i could in the end level up with grinding mobs that gave bonus exp while waiting for some events to refresh. Before Megaserver i just switched servers instead.

However i also noticed that the changed the way that DR works. Before i could maybe farm 2 specific events for an hour and then suddenly i got nearly 0 exp anymore.
Now i made the event and got 6500 exp .. after a while i noticed it was 6000, then 5800 .. and somewhere arount 3500 i stopped playing for 1-2 hours, that has normally resettet the DR before. Now i still got 3500 after the break. Since i was not 100% what was happening here i went then to a starter area and did some events there, and get there also 3500+
After playing there a while i got back to the other place and got there again 6500 but it was again quickly going down each time i did the events.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

People still do not doge, roll, whatever – they stand in one place, which does not work with the mechanics in this game.

This.

Simply surviving in an Open World Zone does not equate to actually learning the proper use of mechanics in the game to be genuinely useful in combat. I just shake my head at some of the clueless players I see wandering around Orr these days…..mostly while I rez them.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I have a level 50ish human Guardian that I’ve had siting around for a year. I considered rerolling him to Norn but quickly dismissed that idea, knowing that while gaining levels would be fast & easy, acquiring traits would be tedious or expensive. Forget it, I’m keeping my human and I’m gonna learn to like him.

I shouldn’t have to 100% clear an entire map (which will net me 5-10 levels) just to unlock a single trait. By the time I’ve done that, I’ll need more than 1 trait anyway. Just makes no sense. To unlock all traits for a new character costs 43g and 360 SP!! Even if you ignore the newest set of GM XIII’s, it costs 28g and 260 SP. That’s just absurd. So you have to unlock them with the challenges if you ever hope to have most of them by the time you hit 80.

Let’s see what’s needed to do that…..oh I have to travel throughout all of Tyria chasing down various challenges. Which means I’m probably never going to do things like 100% complete Kessex Hills cuz it doesn’t unlock a trait, but instead I’m going to hunt down the Overgrown Grub, Fleshgrazer, plead people to do TA story with me, and hope that COE is locked and people want to help me unlock it.

Not only that, but I have to participate in my personal story (even if it is my 7th alt) to unlock traits from Claw Island, Forging the Pact, Source of Orr, etc. Not to mention that when I choose which lesser race to help in my personal story, oops! now you’re locked out of 2 traits. Your story doesn’t have the option to help the ogres? Can’t unlock that trait…gotta pay for it.

You’re level 36 and want that Adept III trait (that we used to have at level 15)? Sorry, you have to unlock it with a level 59 story quest. What about that Adept VI trait? O yea…level 60 Krait Witch champ…tough luck.

Sorry for the rant (though not the content of the rant)…I just can’t grasp the good in this new design.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Dusty Moon.4382

This design is based off of GW1, where you actually capture elites. In essence this is what you are doing for your character. Think of the Traits as Elites you need to capture – not much difference.

Doing with a new character and all the complaints I have read in this thread, it is not as bad or even the same as you are talking about. It is still pretty easy-peasy.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

The tedium that has been introduced by reducing trait point acquisition is so much worse than the previous system – i struggle to find any enthusiasm for grinding out 5 levels just to see any improvement – i hate it.

The only tedium I’ve encountered with alts is clicking all the tomes of knowledge that this game throws at me.

Mesket.5728

This design is based off of GW1, where you actually capture elites. In essence this is what you are doing for your character. Think of the Traits as Elites you need to capture – not much difference.

Doing with a new character and all the complaints I have read in this thread, it is not as bad or even the same as you are talking about. It is still pretty easy-peasy.

they did such a poor, poor! and lazy job representing what we had in GW1… it is horrible.

Dusty Moon.4382

they did such a poor, poor! and lazy job representing what we had in GW1… it is horrible.

It is not horrible and is not lazy – I was in GW1 and played for a long time. I am happy we have limited skills – I was so kittened capping so many useless skills in GW1 and many of them were a chore having to go through so many mobs to get to them.

Redoing to exactly what we had in GW1 would have been horrible and lazy.

If you dislike it, why play this game? You have your opinion – I have mine – let’s respect each other’s opinion and leave it at that.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

eotm says hi.
5 levels per hour.

just stay away from cliffs when i’m around. golfing is my passion.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

eotm says hi.
5 levels per hour.

This be true. Especially if you have Birthday booster and XP booster and WXP booster on. EoTM is glorious for leveling/ranking.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Mesket.5728

It is not horrible and is not lazy – I was in GW1 and played for a long time. I am happy we have limited skills – I was so kittened capping so many useless skills in GW1 and many of them were a chore having to go through so many mobs to get to them.

Redoing to exactly what we had in GW1 would have been horrible and lazy.

If you dislike it, why play this game? You have your opinion – I have mine – let’s respect each other’s opinion and leave it at that.

I insist, if trait unlocking was their response to the player base wanting skill hunting back, they did a terrible terrible job.- The system is horrible, it brought nothing good to the table. Playing alts is tedious and new players will take more time to learn the game (as they have to wait 20 more levels before they can taste grandmaster traits, which IMO was a very bad move from a design perspective).

They salvaged what was already in game and disguised it as something new. Bad from every perspective. I can’t find a single point of view for which this move was right.

zenleto.6179

…and new players will take more time to learn the game…

How is this bad? Levelling is so fast in this game that you can easily get to 80 and not have a clue.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Working on 80 number 7. Not really minding the trait acquisition all that much. However I do sometimes feel like I’m just mindlessly grinding levels in the open world (I’ve seen most of what’s out there atleast 4 times already). Probably should just hop onto the EoTM train.

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I can tell you don’t have all classes 80 and you haven’t tried every profession in pvp.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

…and new players will take more time to learn the game…

How is this bad? Levelling is so fast in this game that you can easily get to 80 and not have a clue.

The problem is that, with this trait system.. you’re going to get to lv80 and know even less about your class!