Leveling is a chore.

Leveling is a chore.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deroy.2457

Deroy.2457

It was a chore in the beta, it was a chore when it was released and it still is a bloody chore. Why is it a chore? For starters, only three zones in the entire game have enough variation and contrast to provide the player with a feeling of wanderlust. Namely Straits of Devastation, Malchor’s Leap and Cursed Shore.

The three zones in Orr focus entirely around dynamic events whilst every other zone almost exclusively focuses on hearts. Yes, there are dynamic events in the lower class zones, but they are nowhere near the quality or the quantity of Orr.

I can wander around Orr and I’ll be guaranteed within a couple of minutes to run into something interesting to do. But whenever I wander throughout Kessex Hills, Snowden Drifts or the like I can wander for over half an hour and the only things I’ll encounter are the dreadful hearts.

And what purpose do these numbers called levels serve anyways, besides locking players out of content? Well, they do help us shape and make choices regarding our builds? A feature completely redundant thanks to the ability to re-allocate our trait points. And aside from the redundancy, exactly 15 (1+14) levels would have been enough to help beginners make a build.

This entirely linear progression is what’s hurting the game the most.
And it’s starting to look more and more like a treadmill by every month.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s because some people like leveling. It’s a chore to you. It’s the whole game a lot of people.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Deroy, I disagree with your oppinion.

Levelling in this game is very well balanced when compared to other games. The leveling curve is linear (or almost) where in other games is exponential.

Don’t know what you are doing, but i find the events in lower level areas sufficient for the leveling purpose while exploring what the world have to offer not being neglected. Also there are other ways of leveling (Crafting and WvW).

There are several purposes of leveling. One of those is L2P with the class and feel at the same time the sense of progression.

This entirely linear progression is what’s hurting the game the most.
And it’s starting to look more and more like a treadmill by every month.

This is not what is hurting the game atm. The vast majority of the people actually enjoyed the game while leveling more than they do after they reached the lv cap. There is where the problems start. The lack of content (and competitiveness) to some players after lv80 (aka “End Game”) is driving the people away.

So in the end, the leveling is just fine.

I find amusing how everyone nowadays wants everything in a silver plate without spending a little bit of “effort” into things. Leveling is one of those things. A little effort is required. Deal with it!

/cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I’m sorry but I lost it when you started throwing hyperboles around validating them as facts. The starting zones are awesome, and your repulsion for hearts is just that, a personal preference.

Leveling has little purpose I’ll give you that, but GW2 already confuses the average MMO player enough.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Gestankfaust.4216

Gestankfaust.4216

I’ve leveled 3 to 80 and one to 66 (along with many, many alts ranging from 13 to30), all since just about the start of the Winterfest event. So that’s like…just under five months playing semi-casually.

Only thing that becomes a chore to me is doing the same are over and over after “I” make yet another alt.

No real chore in this game at all to me. (Well…you could rename Orr to Chorr)

:)

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

I agree with the OP. While I have 5 level 80’s, a level 50, and a 30, it’s just a chore. For players, like myself, who don’t gain arbitrary satisfaction from a simple increasing in numbers and tend to focus exclusively on the game play aspect, yeah, it very much is. I can get by where the OP can’t because I try and substitute any boredom from playing the lower level areas by focusing on trying to find people to pal around with and make friends. For some people, that won’t cut it. I can make due. But his point is still very valid.

It’s nothing but gated content. Please try to understand, a lot of GW1 players likely enjoyed more the fact that it was very easy to get to max level (20), because the entire game was pretty much balanced around being maxed level. It was a lot of horizontal progression from there, and a lot of skill was involved. (Y’know, up until gimmicky hero builds, lol) It was purely game play, there was never any increase in tiers of gear. Progression came from the acquisition of skills and the breaking down of some rare items found to get specific upgrades, runes, that further enhance your build (Similar to how runes are in GW2, except no global trading post, everyone sold them in Spamadan instead). So to be told “Yeah, you can’t go here because you don’t have higher enough numbers” is a pretty annoying hearken to past MMO formulas. Which is fine, again, to me to some degree, because the leveling is pretty easy in this game. But there’s a point to be made that if you don’t get that strange satisfaction just from… going from 32 to 33?… Then I mean, it’s obviously not catering to you in a way that you’d like and he’s entitled to express that opinion.

Furthermore, he’s again correct in noting that they did Orr far better, content wise, than any of the other zones, as far as dynamic events are concerned. And I won’t argue about the perceived significance of DE’s because it’s fact that they’re supposed to be the main content of PvE. You might not like the area aesthetic, or maybe you don’t like the mobs. But it has by far and away the most challenging, and most diversified array of DE’s and Meta Events in the game.

Kegmaster

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Bembis.8957

Bembis.8957

And I hate Orr. It seems that undeads are smartest creatures in this game. Why brainless zombie is going after me but not my pet? Why zombie is smarter than human pirate, fire legion char or ogre? I go there only because of story quests and 100% completion. Yeah, DE’s are fine there, but I just can’t stand those “smart” zombies and their respawn timers. And I love hearts, it’s another reason why I hate Orr. Maybe I’m old school player, but zone without quests don’t have meaning for me. It’s boring runnig around without purpose and hope that you run in some DE accidently.

But I have a choice to go or not in those zones, so yeah, if you don’t like low level zones it sucks for you. But I don’t like WvW and still there are some poi and vistas which I need. So you have just accept it and patiently go through it (in OP case level to 80 and in my case go to WvW and do 100% map).

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

It was a chore in the beta, it was a chore when it was released and it still is a bloody chore. Why is it a chore? For starters, only three zones in the entire game have enough variation and contrast to provide the player with a feeling of wanderlust. Namely Straits of Devastation, Malchor’s Leap and Cursed Shore.

The three zones in Orr focus entirely around dynamic events whilst every other zone almost exclusively focuses on hearts. Yes, there are dynamic events in the lower class zones, but they are nowhere near the quality or the quantity of Orr.

I can wander around Orr and I’ll be guaranteed within a couple of minutes to run into something interesting to do. But whenever I wander throughout Kessex Hills, Snowden Drifts or the like I can wander for over half an hour and the only things I’ll encounter are the dreadful hearts.

First off, Orr is probably the worst when it comes to variation & contrast. It’s Risen everywhere, non-stop, dead island. As opposed to something like Queensdale which is vibrant, has a variety of enemy types, terrain, and DEs. And hearts are there to guide you, give some nice XP, and give you more reason to explore a zone fully.

Secondly, the only reason Orr has more constant DEs is because there are more players there. If more as many people were playing in Kessex Hills as Orr, you better believe there’d be non-stop DEs.

And third, leveling isn’t a chore. It’s probably the easiest leveling I’ve done in any MMORPG. It’s linear, which is crazy nice, not having to spend hours and hours getting that last 79-80. Not to mention that leveling is essentially the same thing as playing any other zone after 80. That’s the whole point of auto-scaling. The way this game was designed, if leveling is a chore, then I don’t think this is the game for you.

Oh, and you do know you can level by doing dungeons (crazy XP), WvW, and crafting right?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Levelling is a total bore (chore) whatever you want to call it.

Thats why I will only ever have one character.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

Leveling was:
awesome on my 1st char
entertaining on my 2nd
boring on my 3rd
a chore on the 4rd (to the point i’m considering investing 40ish gold to frat him up to 80)

I blame the boring story, lack of build variations (in gw1 i would have a new bar of different skills every day, just to have fun), and the whole DE system becoming boring when you know the chains well enough to “see under the hood” .

Now that AC is gone ( people only look for 80s ) i would probably never make an alt until an expansion comes out

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

3 80s here and I can honestly say leveling was smooth and easy. I didn’t even notice I hit 80 on my latest character, I was just playing with my gf, wandering around zone to zone, hitting DEs as I get to them, maybe do a heart, but generally just playing anyway I want. Haven’t even been in a zone past level 60 difficulty on this character because I had so much fun in the under 60 zones.

I think what helped me the most was that I got my 100% completion done on my main, so for all subsequent characters I really don’t care about doing things I don’t want to do.

It’s quite liberating for someone like me who was OCD about completion the first time around.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Leveling is a chore.

Vayne.8563

I have 6 80s and so far leveling hasn’t been a huge chore, though I do craft on all of them, just because I like to (and I have the mats).

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

First two 80s I did PvE leveling/WvW. Didn’t really have a problem. It was fun and new.
Third 80 I got bored half way through and crafted.
Final two just crafted the whole way. Couldn’t bear to do it again.

I’m sure once they add new zones and classes I won’t mind the PvE lvling again.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

First two 80s I did PvE leveling/WvW. Didn’t really have a problem. It was fun and new.
Third 80 I got bored half way through and crafted.
Final two just crafted the whole way. Couldn’t bear to do it again.

I’m sure once they add new zones and classes I won’t mind the PvE lvling again.

You should be grateful having several lvl 80.
You wouldn’t have much more max level char in other mmos without an extreme grind.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Deinxceriis.6754

Deinxceriis.6754

Leveling is a chore? I play casually and feel like my character levels without any effort. She just shows up and gets exp and free loot. If anything these so called “dynamic Events” are actually “Static Events” which become very routine. If you feel this game is a chore you have got to be joking, the content is almost playing itself. There just isn’t a developer team focused on anything else but PVP, you’re not going to see any changes unless it directly affects killing each other for rewards. The leveling is linear because in the end you’re supposed to be pressing keys and mouse buttons at each other and look pretty doing it with your unidentified dye addictions.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

i normally like to level up my first character but in gw2 it was boring as kitten. Ultra repetitive quests isn’t exactly what i’d call entertaining

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Leveling is a chore.

Vayne.8563

i normally like to level up my first character but in gw2 it was boring as kitten. Ultra repetitive quests isn’t exactly what i’d call entertaining

You should look at this blog.

http://word-of-shadow.blogspot.com.au/2008/05/rpg-quest-types-not-much-variety.html

There were better articles over time but this is the first one I dragged up. All quests in fantasy pretty much fall into one of a few categories. They’re all repetitive.

Romance novels all have the same general theme, they’re very repetitive, but they still account for 60% of fiction sales. I don’t read them, but they’re massively popular.

If you’ve been playing the fantasy genre for a long time, you’re bound to be bored of the quests…unless you buy into the world.

You obviously haven’t.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

Even look at single player games like Skyrim. Quests are repetitive. At least with GW2 hearts, there are more than one way to complete them.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: r z.7261

r z.7261

Amazing.

This is the most casual game out on the market and people still complain.

Just absolutely amazing.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

For starters, only three zones in the entire game have enough variation and contrast to provide the player with a feeling of wanderlust. Namely Straits of Devastation, Malchor’s Leap and Cursed Shore.

Wait, what? Variation? That, pal, doesn’t exist in Orr, not when the entire place is littered with ruins and enormous corals and undead everywhere that yell “Everyone! Come!” and start throwing anchors at you, no.

I’d be a happy midget if there were more endgame zones that were like this particular spot in Brisban Wildlands.

Attachments:

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: jesterscript.7493

jesterscript.7493

I leveled dozens of characters to level cap in dozens of MMOs over the years, but in this game, I got one character to 80 and just couldn’t do it again. The difficulty:reward for PVE leveling in this game is literally as close to zero without touching as it can get.

Maybe I’ll dust off an alt and finish leveling them in WvW – the only fun part of this game – eventually, but that’s a long time coming so I’m glad I don’t have to pay a monthly fee.

I might lose forum “privledges”? Oh no! Anything but!

Leveling is a chore.

Vayne.8563

I leveled dozens of characters to level cap in dozens of MMOs over the years, but in this game, I got one character to 80 and just couldn’t do it again. The difficulty:reward for PVE leveling in this game is literally as close to zero without touching as it can get.

Maybe I’ll dust off an alt and finish leveling them in WvW – the only fun part of this game – eventually, but that’s a long time coming so I’m glad I don’t have to pay a monthly fee.

Funny, I’ve had the same experience. I’ve leveled dozens of characters in many games over the years, and this is the first time I’ve ever really enjoyed the process all the way through…on all six of my characters.

The leveling process is simply a matter of personal taste. A lot of people really like it (and a lot don’t).

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

I just don’t really enjoy the leveling in GW2. Partly I’m spoiled by the super low level cap in GW1, but also the experience isn’t that smooth for me here.

I have 3 lvl80 and leveling my 4th, experience tell me there must be a point I will underlevel for hearts. I know people suggest going to other zone for that, but my instinct still tell me I shouldn’t do so.

I make a human, enjoy the personal story and I’ll help people in queensdale because nasty things are happening in my home town. Then I follow my story and go to other zone and again help people when I see trouble. But I just don’t have any reason to go to other 1-15 zone! I do go there just for leveling but I do not believe that should be how it works/intended. And that part really makes me level to level.

Leveling is a chore.

Vayne.8563

I just don’t really enjoy the leveling in GW2. Partly I’m spoiled by the super low level cap in GW1, but also the experience isn’t that smooth for me here.

I have 3 lvl80 and leveling my 4th, experience tell me there must be a point I will underlevel for hearts. I know people suggest going to other zone for that, but my instinct still tell me I shouldn’t do so.

I make a human, enjoy the personal story and I’ll help people in queensdale because nasty things are happening in my home town. Then I follow my story and go to other zone and again help people when I see trouble. But I just don’t have any reason to go to other 1-15 zone! I do go there just for leveling but I do not believe that should be how it works/intended. And that part really makes me level to level.

Dynamic events and some crafting are by far the fastest way to level. Hearts are not a fast way to level. The whole idea of hearts is to keep you in the area for dynamic events, but as leveling material they’re not very efficient. Event chains, naturally are even better for leveling than single events. Dailies help a lot too.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: jesterscript.7493

jesterscript.7493

Funny, I’ve had the same experience. I’ve leveled dozens of characters in many games over the years, and this is the first time I’ve ever really enjoyed the process all the way through…on all six of my characters.

The leveling process is simply a matter of personal taste. A lot of people really like it (and a lot don’t).

Is it? Really?

I might lose forum “privledges”? Oh no! Anything but!

Leveling is a chore.

Vayne.8563

Is it? Really?

Well obviously it’s personal taste of some people like and it some don’t. Is there a question here? lol

Leveling is a chore.

Afya.5842

Dynamic events and some crafting are by far the fastest way to level. Hearts are not a fast way to level. The whole idea of hearts is to keep you in the area for dynamic events, but as leveling material they’re not very efficient. Event chains, naturally are even better for leveling than single events. Dailies help a lot too.

I know. I am just too broke to craft so I usually only do cooking maybe jewelry. I do grind DE (the 2 centeur chains mostly, the bloodtide one is usually empty) sometimes but it really bores me out. I also try to do dailies on alt for experience but that also means I m be missing out some good $$ if I do it on my lvl80s. I do it, but it’s less than optimal.

Leveling is a chore.

Vayne.8563

Just find a guild, and hang out with them while doing stuff. It makes the game so much better. Even if you’re not grouped with them, if you’re chatting on mumble, you can be having fun, while having fun. And you have built in people there for when you do need help with a hard event or a dungeon run, or whatever.

Having the right people to play with is part of what makes MMOs so much fun.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: pownguin.9205

pownguin.9205

I wouldn’t have 7 level 80s if this was a chore. If you don’t like it, don’t play.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

You should look at this blog.

http://word-of-shadow.blogspot.com.au/2008/05/rpg-quest-types-not-much-variety.html

There were better articles over time but this is the first one I dragged up. All quests in fantasy pretty much fall into one of a few categories. They’re all repetitive.

Romance novels all have the same general theme, they’re very repetitive, but they still account for 60% of fiction sales. I don’t read them, but they’re massively popular.

If you’ve been playing the fantasy genre for a long time, you’re bound to be bored of the quests…unless you buy into the world.

You obviously haven’t.

Shakespeare’s genius was that he took old stories and spiced them up with contemporary details so the setting was familiar to the people watching his plays. The last great innovation in theater was in Ancient Greece when they replaced the actor and the chorus with two to three actors interacting with one another. No matter how many people are on stage/in the shot, a maximum of three people can interact at one time. More than that is just noise.

(It’s been a long time since college, so my memory may have failed me on some details, but that’s the gist of it)

Movies retell the same story over and over – how many times has Batman, Superman, Spiderman movies/tv shows started from the point where they first put on the costume?

Franchise movies like Die Hard, Friday the 13th, Fast and Furious are essentially the same movie remade over and over.

If you’re looking for completely new experiences in entertainment, good luck – I think one comes along every century or so. We’re due for the next one in about 60 years.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Don’t forget dungeons. You get (i think) 70% of your level for completing each path. Add that to the XP from kills & you’ve got a full level per path guaranteed. The 70% might just be a 1st time per day thing, but it’s still serious XP. You get to level 50 and you’ve got access to 3 dungeons daily, each with 3 paths. You don’t have to be an endless dungeon runner. But it’s certainly a more than viable option.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Leveling is a chore.

Afya.5842

Just find a guild, and hang out with them while doing stuff. It makes the game so much better. Even if you’re not grouped with them, if you’re chatting on mumble, you can be having fun, while having fun. And you have built in people there for when you do need help with a hard event or a dungeon run, or whatever.

Having the right people to play with is part of what makes MMOs so much fun.

Yea, I actually stopped grinding my mesmer (now 33). Instead I just play my other 3 lvl80s and just go do 2 or 3 event chains on my mes when I have time. It’ll probably take me months to max this one but luckily I already got 3 maxed so it’s not that bad.

I wouldn’t have 7 level 80s if this was a chore. If you don’t like it, don’t play.

I like the endgame, just not the leveling part.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Camman.2984

Camman.2984

Is it? Really?

Of course it is. I’m a R1 in World of Warcraft (Best in my class in the country for about 6 months) and I have Max levels in WoW, SWTOR, LoTOR and more. This leveling I really didn’t like. I hated the lack of direction. Some times you get 2 levels in 30 minutes. Other times, you get 1 hour every level and a half.

I don’t get my feeling of fun from walking around. I’ll walk around when I feel powerful enough to. Which brings me to Max level and good gear. I like walking into a zone and feeling “I’m the strongest person in this entire area” it’s a great feeling. I hate the “I’m a level 6 in a Charr zone and my gear is ugly and my skills are weak”

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Ironcloud.3892

Ironcloud.3892

Sure leveling alts (Assuming you just want to get to 80 asap) can be pretty boring/tedious, but the first time leveling a character in GW2 was probably the most enjoyable leveling experience I’ve ever had in an MMO.

That said, I do agree with hearts being a bit ‘meh’ when compared to the rest of the game, but as far as my experience went, they were used more as directions rather than actual quests.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Oh my god. I leveled in less than 2 weeks and you know what I did to achieve it? Everything. I ran around mindlessly, killing everything in my path. When an event popped up, I did it. When a node was within reach, I harvested/mined/cut it. When I was done with that area, I took everything I earned and crafted.

I am week 3.5 with my main at level 80, wearing full exo with my trinkets made for free, 400 Jewelcrafting, 212 Weaponsmithing and 120 armorsmithing.

Leveling is not a chore unless you make it a chore.

Leveling is a chore.

Vayne.8563

Is it? Really?

Of course it is. I’m a R1 in World of Warcraft (Best in my class in the country for about 6 months) and I have Max levels in WoW, SWTOR, LoTOR and more. This leveling I really didn’t like. I hated the lack of direction. Some times you get 2 levels in 30 minutes. Other times, you get 1 hour every level and a half.

I don’t get my feeling of fun from walking around. I’ll walk around when I feel powerful enough to. Which brings me to Max level and good gear. I like walking into a zone and feeling “I’m the strongest person in this entire area” it’s a great feeling. I hate the “I’m a level 6 in a Charr zone and my gear is ugly and my skills are weak”

See I’d never go back to a game without downleveling now. I don’t want to be stuck in a couple of end game zones for actual play. I want to play anywhere I feel like and feel like the content is at least a little viable.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

Hmm, and here I thought it was one of the best leveling experiences I’ve had in an mmo

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

Guild wars 2 is for me the best leveling experience i have ever had in an MMO. It felt like adventure! More like Morrowind or Skyrim than an MMO most of the time due to exploration being rewarded.

So i really have no complaints other than the personal story which i find to be just awfull, but you dont need that to level

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

I agree with the OP. One of the reasons why GW1 stuck out to me was because of the low level cap. You hit the level cap before you were half way through in Prophecies, and usually before you even left the starting isles in Factions and Nightfall. The path to 80 feels like padding, plain and simple. I get a new character to about 15-25, and then I’m completely burned out and don’t want to even look at another kitten heart quest or DE. I’ve never played WoW, or frankly any MMO but GW1 (not that GW1 was a true MMO), so if the leveling in those games is even worse than here, I shudder to even imagine.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Euryon.9248

Euryon.9248

I’ve leveled 8 alts to 80 (1 of each class), and I never found the actual leveling to be a “chore”. You level by playing the game. Yes, I got a bit of leveling in by crafting (because I wanted to learn the craft and make my own stuff, not as a shortcut to leveling), but for the most part I just played the game, and the leveling happened organically. No, I didn’t like every bit of content, but the world is so big that you don’t have to do the specific stuff you don’t like (unless you just “hate all hearts”, which — all hearts aren’t the same, so I don’t understand this sentiment other than as hyperbole).

If you hate “playing the game” — then why are you playing?

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

I’ve rather enjoyed leveling my five 80s (working on a 6th). I’ve also done 100% world completion on my main.

The trick enjoying leveling is using the variety of options available rather than farming dynamic events. ANET has made it such that if you simply play for fun (rather than trying to level), you will hit 80 in about 50 hours. This is significantly less than any other MMO (except GW1).

Things that give very good EXP:
-Exploring
-Crafting
-WvW
-Dungeons
-Heart quests
-Dynamic events
-Gathering (mining ores/chopping trees, etc)
-Map completion
-Daily quests
-Killing enemies in abandoned zones – this one is often overlooked. The longer an enemy has been alive, the more bonus exp it gives. It gets to the point where killing 5-6 gives as much experience as a dynamic event but takes much less time.

I’ve found that the funnest (and very fast) way to level is to simply wander around level appropriate areas doing random combinations (that I find fun) of the many different things that give experience.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: Jordan.6157

Jordan.6157

It’s because some people like leveling. It’s a chore to you. It’s the whole game a lot of people.

OH GET THE kitten OUT OF HERE PLEASE! Hearts and events are just quests without the NPC interaction. Don’t kid me noone likes questing. In WoW noone liked it, in any game noone liked it. Its all the same. If the WHOLE kittenING GAME is questing then WoW offers alot kittening more. Please don’t say this games endgame is from level 1 because if that’s the case the endgame is just questing, bit of crafting and PvP and I wonder why the kitten IS EVERYONE PLAYING THIS PILE OF kitten?

Oh and a bar you have to fill up by killing kitten, collecting kitten or w/e is kittening questing. Bar or number makes no difference. Oh and we get variety in what we do with hearts because we can choose to collect/blah or blah??? Yeh but only because there is sooo few hearts that 10 hearts = 30 quests in WoW so essentially you are completely 3 quests with 1 heart… so obviously they will give you variety to compensate.

Leveling is a chore.

Vayne.8563

OH GET THE kitten OUT OF HERE PLEASE! Hearts and events are just quests without the NPC interaction. Don’t kid me noone likes questing. In WoW noone liked it, in any game noone liked it. Its all the same. If the WHOLE kittenING GAME is questing then WoW offers alot kittening more. Please don’t say this games endgame is from level 1 because if that’s the case the endgame is just questing, bit of crafting and PvP and I wonder why the kitten IS EVERYONE PLAYING THIS PILE OF kitten?

Oh and a bar you have to fill up by killing kitten, collecting kitten or w/e is kittening questing. Bar or number makes no difference. Oh and we get variety in what we do with hearts because we can choose to collect/blah or blah??? Yeh but only because there is sooo few hearts that 10 hearts = 30 quests in WoW so essentially you are completely 3 quests with 1 heart… so obviously they will give you variety to compensate.

Plenty of people liked questing in WoW. There are a whole lot of people that keep rolling alts, because they don’t like end game and they just like questing.

Your problem is, you can’t acknowledge that other people might like something other than what you like. But they do.

I’d rather be questing than playing an “end game”, even though I’m quite good at end game. I just find end game silly.

Leveling is a chore.

Jordan.6157

Plenty of people liked questing in WoW. There are a whole lot of people that keep rolling alts, because they don’t like end game and they just like questing.

Your problem is, you can’t acknowledge that other people might like something other than what you like. But they do.

I’d rather be questing than playing an “end game”, even though I’m quite good at end game. I just find end game silly.

Well done. So you’re basically saying this game that was out to try and beat WoW is actually dedicated to the lowest percentage of MMORPG players on the planet. Well done. About 1% of everyone who plays MMORPGs probably likes questing more than endgame content, pvp etc. And since guild wars 2 offers no endgame.. and just questing (covered it up calling it endgame confusing all the intelligent fans) I see they properly kittened up.

And also they lied through their teeth in their manifesto.

Leveling is a chore.

Vayne.8563

Well done. So you’re basically saying this game that was out to try and beat WoW is actually dedicated to the lowest percentage of MMORPG players on the planet. Well done. About 1% of everyone who plays MMORPGs probably likes questing more than endgame content, pvp etc. And since guild wars 2 offers no endgame.. and just questing (covered it up calling it endgame confusing all the intelligent fans) I see they properly kittened up.

1. They weren’t trying to compete with WoW, because there’s no monthly fee. They were trying to make THEIR OWN GAME! Not just another WoW 2.0.

2. The lowest percentage of MMORPG players on the planet? Where do you get your information? Last I heard, no stastics were published on this. I believe you’ll find a greater number of people like the open world and questing and even solo than you’d ever believe. Many don’t join guilds. Some never run an instance at all. And there are a ton of these people out there. Scott Hartsman of Trion said any developer ignores solo players at their own risk. Maybe he knows more than you do?

3. Skyrim offers no end game, but it’s very popular and keeps tons of people playing for hundreds and hundreds of hours.

Leveling is a chore.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Well done. About 1% of everyone who plays MMORPGs probably likes questing more than endgame content, pvp etc.

This is perhaps the most egregious claim to know things about a game population I’ve ever seen on a forum.

As to the OP’s issue… well, I can see how wandering through mid-range areas like Kessex, Snowden, etc. can result in the feeling that there are not enough events there. However, I think this is also somewhat situational. There are times when this is my experience and times when it feels like I trip over an event every 100 yards.

My second necro made level 39 last night, and has yet to “complete” any zone other than Queensdale. I’m enjoying the leveling, even if I have 9 slots (5 80’s). If I ever feel like I’m getting bored, I stop playing for a while. Still, my enjoyment may be someone else’s chore.

Leveling is a chore.

Jordan.6157

1. They weren’t trying to compete with WoW, because there’s no monthly fee. They were trying to make THEIR OWN GAME! Not just another WoW 2.0.

2. The lowest percentage of MMORPG players on the planet? Where do you get your information? Last I heard, no stastics were published on this. I believe you’ll find a greater number of people like the open world and questing and even solo than you’d ever believe. Many don’t join guilds. Some never run an instance at all. And there are a ton of these people out there. Scott Hartsman of Trion said any developer ignores solo players at their own risk. Maybe he knows more than you do?

3. Skyrim offers no end game, but it’s very popular and keeps tons of people playing for hundreds and hundreds of hours.

Skyrim isn’t an MMORPG. Every cavern and cave offers a reward. You don’t have to do them more than once to recieve the reward. It’s a massively different game and concept. Noone focuses on the level because there is no level restricted zones, gear etc. You can explore or do the story and neither causes you to miss out.

Just… just don’t compare them. Wait for ESO. Smash guild wars to kitten!

Leveling is a chore.

Vayne.8563

Skyrim isn’t an MMORPG. Every cavern and cave offers a reward. You don’t have to do them more than once to recieve the reward. It’s a massively different game and concept. Noone focuses on the level because there is no level restricted zones, gear etc. You can explore or do the story and neither causes you to miss out.

ESO won’t smash anything. It’ll be bug ridden, and take a year or two to develop and people with your level of patience will leave it for the same reasons you’ll leave this game. Just wait till Bethesda has to deal with the MMO crowd. It’s going to be hilarious to watch.

And yes, you can compare an RPG with an mmoRPG. Note the similarity in letters. There are many MANY people who play MMOs as RPGs. More to the point, there are many MANY people who wanted more RPG in their MMOs than older games gave them. WoW was great at giving you the MMO bit, but not so great at giving you the RPG bit. Sucks to be them.

Essentially WoW motivated players, but not characters. Games like Guild Wars 2 motivate characters. My character has reasons to do what he does. I didn’t really feel that way in WoW.

Leveling is a chore.

Jordan.6157

ESO won’t smash anything. It’ll be bug ridden, and take a year or two to develop and people with your level of patience will leave it for the same reasons you’ll leave this game. Just wait till Bethesda has to deal with the MMO crowd. It’s going to be hilarious to watch.

And yes, you can compare an RPG with an mmoRPG. Note the similarity in letters. There are many MANY people who play MMOs as RPGs. More to the point, there are many MANY people who wanted more RPG in their MMOs than older games gave them. WoW was great at giving you the MMO bit, but not so great at giving you the RPG bit. Sucks to be them.

Essentially WoW motivated players, but not characters. Games like Guild Wars 2 motivate characters. My character has reasons to do what he does. I didn’t really feel that way in WoW.

What? In WoW I felt my character develop. Become stronger as I progressed with gear. This game I have no connection to my character at all. Craft full gear and afk. And the reason I stopped this game wasn’t because it’s bug ridden but because it’s boring.

Plus they already running beta tests and they are not planning to release the game for a long while.

Don’t jump to conclusions about this game. I am not jumping to conclusions about guild wars 2. I have played it therefore I know the facts.

Leveling is a chore.

Vayne.8563

What? In WoW I felt my character develop. Become stronger as I progressed with gear. This game I have no connection to my character at all. Craft full gear and afk. And the reason I stopped this game wasn’t because it’s bug ridden but because it’s boring.

Plus they already running beta tests and they are not planning to release the game for a long while.

Don’t jump to conclusions about this game. I am not jumping to conclusions about guild wars 2. I have played it therefore I know the facts.

Right in Wow, you were a coatrack for greatness. Yay you.

That’s why different games offer different experiences for different people. I don’t go onto the WoW forums and say the game isn’t working. It works for some people. It didn’t work for me.

On the other hand, this game works for me, and clearly not for you.

Maybe if you’d talk for you, instead of speaking in absolutes that only apply to your opinion, it would be easier to be sympathetic to you. As it is, you’re just a guy who doesn’t like what this game offers…fair enough.

Doesn’t change that fact that a lot of people do.