Leveling post April patch / new characters

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: HallusH.3987

HallusH.3987

Yesterday i started leveling my 7th class to 80, only that this time it’s a brand new character.
So this will be a short comparison vs the old system.

As a new character you need to unlock each and single trait by doing its mission.
This already forced me into being very less effective and limits my variety of playing the way i want to play, which was not an issue with the old system.

The ability to just buy the traits is not to make me explore the world is more of spend gold. which on these early levels someone with new account surely won’t have a lot of.
So this to me looks more of a cash shop cry that made an extra gated content for no reason. which also wasn’t an issue before.

I leveled most of my classes in wvw / eotm after i did full world explore with the first class.

Traits push back is also a major issue post patch, even for characters that were created before the patch.
Until about level 60+ you’re lacking a lot of useful mobility and survive ability traits and stats points that is very important vs fully geared 80’s.
Now that i’m also forced to go unlock the very little of the traits i could use in these early levels or go buy them just because of this new gate.
I don’t see this being anything than just a drag to new and old players leveling.

So the words “engaging, fun experience, progression, get people in the world” that were used to describe this system change by far last words i would use for this matter.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Yesterday i started leveling my 7th class to 80, only that this time it’s a brand new character.
So this will be a short comparison vs the old system.

As a new character you need to unlock each and single trait by doing its mission.
This already forced me into being very less effective and limits my variety of playing the way i want to play, which was not an issue with the old system.

The ability to just buy the traits is not to make me explore the world is more of spend gold. which on these early levels someone with new account surely won’t have a lot of.
So this to me looks more of a cash shop cry that made an extra gated content for no reason. which also wasn’t an issue before.

I leveled most of my classes in wvw / eotm after i did full world explore with the first class.

Traits push back is also a major issue post patch, even for characters that were created before the patch.
Until about level 60+ you’re lacking a lot of useful mobility and survive ability traits and stats points that is very important vs fully geared 80’s.
Now that i’m also forced to go unlock the very little of the traits i could use in these early levels or go buy them just because of this new gate.
I don’t see this being anything than just a drag to new and old players leveling.

So the words “engaging, fun experience, progression, get people in the world” that were used to describe this system change by far last words i would use for this matter.

may I ask which class are you using?

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

I’m working on my 11th level 80, and yeah this is pretty sucktastic.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

Posted by: Riaky.8965

Riaky.8965

I like the old leveling system better too. Don’t know why they changed it.

Posted by: Daggos Skelito.2910

Daggos Skelito.2910

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I recommend going EoTM until level 80. Only then “start” to play the game. Otherwise it’s just pure tedium getting through the enormously long stretches without new traits.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I leveled a character to 80 using the new trait system. I didn’t find it hard or onorous to level on that character, admittedly a warrior. However, even in the old days I’d sometimes forget to spend trait points for many many levels. This game isn’t really that hard in the open world, even without traits at all.

The real problem is being forced into doing stuff you simply aren’t interested in doing in order to have to unlock something. The new player comment doesn’t matter that much since a new player will just assume it’s part of the game. The problem comes from comparing it to what we had before. It’s punishing to experienced players who don’t really need that kind of gold sink, and it’s time consuming and annoying for those of us who have more than ten characters.

I probably won’t be making more characters until the system changes, or until a new profession or race comes out.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I mean… this is an example of trying to take something people apparently liked from GW1 (skill hunting), and trying to apply it to GW2.

Now, my experienced is probably biased on this, because I pretty much LOATHED skill hunting in GW1, especially in Prophecies when there was no guarantee the boss you were looking for had even SPAWNED in the first place, and you wouldn’t know until you got there.

The GW2 version I like even less. It takes everything I disliked about skill hunting, and makes it even more tedious (at least in GW1 there were eventually multiple ways to get the elite you were looking for).

I won’t be buying any more character slots until it’s changed.

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Yeah the new system is horrible. You need the traits more when leveling. I think you should get a point to start and once every level until 60. Allowing you to have all your traits for the last 20 levels.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

I’ve started leveling a new engi (going to be my 10th level 80 and 2nd engi, 1st character since the trait update) and I haven’t noticed any problem. I’ve ignored my traits, I only bothered to buy one (increase bomb attack radius) and the game feels pretty much the same. In power gear things die quickly, even if I just mindlessly spam my pistols. I really don’t understand how it is difficult or tedious and if I want a speed boost I will use my utility skills.

The only thing I don’t like is the fact that instead adding new tasks you have to complete in order to unlock traits they just re-used old content… and included map completion. It would have been much more fun and realistic if we had to talk to the trainer and then they would give us a task or maybe have us complete training missions of some sort.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.