Leveling takes forever, is it just me?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jai.3058

Jai.3058

Im starting too feel like its just me who takes forever too level. I remember when i leveled my 2nd 80 it took like 2 days. That was doing map completion and WvW. Now days playing in SEA timezones and T1 server i cant WvW for levels considering that most of the time its defending or fighting. EotM is way unbalanced every week im on the side that lacks numbers and gets smashed, which means nobody gets anywhere here. Leveling via map completion seems to only bring me 1 level an hour at the most. Ive already crafted 14 levels, used 20 tomes… my Ele is 10 days old and only level 68, and this is hours every day of trying to level but everywhere is just slow… am i doing something wrong?

Posted by: leviathan.2148

leviathan.2148

Just a question: Why do you rush?

I am an engineer – a pianist of destruction! Now please go back to standing in my AOE.

http://wpwhendead.tumblr.com - a GW2 webcomic about a Charr and a Skritt

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

I did some leveling alts a while back and got them to 80 within a week… which in my opinion is about the right time if you’re absolutely trying to get there as fast as possible. 2 days for an 80 seems waaay too fast, in my opinion

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Jai.3058

Because i have got other stuff to do on my Autumn break aswell as level, but put leveling first.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

If its taken you hours each day over 10 days to get 34 levels, then you’re doing something wrong. I’ve no idea what, though.

Jai.3058

Im going at about 14-16 hours a day of gameplay -On my last ever Autumn break- so im trying to get as much GW2 in as possible but even spending 2 days leveling via EotM and Map Completion i only get 8 levels.

Posted by: Tskales.2804

Tskales.2804

This is one of the fastest leveling MMOs i’ve played.

Try using exp boosting foot items if you aren’t doing so already.

“I’m sure glad that A-net is spending the 20 minutes or so that it would take to remove
the hobosack on making more important additions to the game.
Like golden pigs for the gem store” – Gern.2978

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I don’t keep track as much as I used to, but it used to take me about an hour for each level, a little less if I crafted every 5-10 levels to be able to outfit myself with level-appropriate gear.

In EotM, with birthday booster, exp booster, food/utility (and possibly guild exp banner or laureate exp) I’d often get 4 levels+ an hour, providing we were doing well by focusing on capping.

Crafting gives less exp than it used to, I’ve heard.

I seem to remember that I used to get approximately half a level from completing daily when there was the 5 daily (1 AP each) system. I’m not sure where that figure lies now, but I levelled quite a few of my characters a reasonable amount just be completing dailies on lowbies.

Also, I would recommend using “x levels per hour” rather than “x levels per day”, simply because one person’s game time per day may be significantly different to another’s.

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

This is easily one of, if not the fastest, lvling MMOs ever.
Thats not including having free lvl 20 and piles of 1 lvl books in your bank for veteran players either.
Everything you do in this game gives you experience. You can just pick something you like, literally anything but standing still, and you’ll lvl from it.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Think you are not getting all the exp you possibly could if you are spending so much time. Took a new account to 80 in two weeks (got the exotic daily just after I hit 80). If you are grinding instead of hitting events you will be slow. Go to maps that give nice completion bonus and do the occasional dungeon you should have hit 80 sooner.

Jai.3058

I think my problem is i got used to the old leveling ways, its been so long since ive leveled anything… before crafting for levels got nerfed i would just craft my way and then do some Champ trains and get myself to 80 in 2-3 days. Currently im going about .75 levels an hour for whoever asked.

Also i have played quite a few MMO’s, and i could level faster in Both WoW and SWtOR.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

lol i play an 4 hour max a day yet i level a character in about a week.
just normal play with a booster here and there if dropped from a BLC. just play the game. make map 100% each time and it goes fairly fast.

Did you play gw1? 20 levels took a whole lot longer (before factions). GW Factions and up is the fastest leveling ever compared to most of MMO games out there.

Cbomb.4310

Also i have played quite a few MMO’s, and i could level faster in Both WoW and SWtOR.

Thats nonsense.

Jai.3058

Tis not nonsense, after playing WoW for 8 years i leveled one a Worgen Paladin in 5 days and i quit because i was like “Why do i play this?”. SWtOR got the “Kuati Drive Yards” release which was a repetitive dungeon instance that you could get quick levels in. If you popped boosters it was at about 3-4 levels an hour.

Cbomb.4310

By that argument I can lvl in about 20 seconds in gw2 popping stuff.
A new player in both those games will take considerably longer.

Jai.3058

If i had time to save Tomes… i would actualy not be complaining now.

Cbomb.4310

Its a bad complaint though. If you’re a veteran in those other games, you have access to scores of resources to help you lvl quicker than a new player would same as this one.

If you have money in this game, you still gain 7 lvls from pushing a cheap crafting class. Technically still 10 if you go for the full 500. Even a new player can casually lvl with what they get for a few extra lvls.

If you’re fast at dungeons you gain 1-2 lvls from a single dungeon and still get all the gold rewards. Swap before last boss to your lvling alt. You’ll get 4-6 lvls an hour while still farming your daily gold.

If you dont have any of that, you can still pop experience boosters galore (even a new player can pop a food buff), and mindlessly train in EOTM.

Do your personal story as it becomes available to your lvl, they give massive experience boosts and its worth doing at least once as a new player.

Thats not even touching the subject that general map exploration, gathering, or crafting for experience isnt even possible in those other games you mentioned.

Heck, last I heard you could spend 60$ for a free max lvl in WoW (lol), they must have such respect for their lvling content. If we’re comparing games here then yes, we absolutely get to compare all this to stacks of lvl 20 birthday books and the scores of lvl 1 books we get from chievs, spvp, and just login dailies.

This game is irrefutably one of the easiest and fastest MMOs to lvl in. All that said, it also dosnt put nearly as much pressure on players to hit lvl cap to participate in all the ‘good’ content. If you’re not enjoying the experience to lvl in this game your first go through, you likely wont enjoy it much once you hit 80 either.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

What about running a dungeon on an 80 and swapping toons at the last? That used to be a thing. But you prob need a guild group for that or others looking to do the same?

I also find that levelling takes longer now. It’s silly too, cause you don’t gain stats as you go any more. You get chunks of stats, meaning you’re weaker for a good portion of time where you’re going “why can’t I kill anything fast?”, then all of a sudden you get your chunk of stats and then it’s reasonable.

The levelling system and non-account-wide WP unlock seriously suck all the fun out of alts. Then nerfing crafting levelling on top of that… sigh.

I have no real advice except maybe try the dungeon thing and grab some WvW on reset when it’s busiest?

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Forever seems objective but leveling in this game is not slow compared to what is currently on market for other MMO’s. You really must be missing something or you have some unreasonable expectations for leveling speed.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Do you have level 80 alts? Make sure to do your dailies along with standard hearts, gathering and crafting. You can often get tomes and exp consumables. Like mentioned, use exp boosters and food. If all that isn’t fast enough do dungeons. So long as you’re not terrible, it’s not too tough finding groups that are okay with non-80 players and is pretty much a guaranteed level for about 20min of play. There’s also gold and scrolls as reward.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

you have quite a big mouth talking like that, my first lvl 80 took me about 8 months, my second took me about 14 months.
better yet, i have plenty of other characters no higher then lvl 45, don’t whine that a week is to long.

oh and it’s not that i am slow, it’s that i don’t have as much time to play 1 game.
14 hours is a day off for me, normally i am glad to have about 3-5 hours time and that’s when i start right after i had a bite.

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

You can level to 80 in this game waaaaaaaaaaaay faster than you’ll hit 60 in SWTOR. 55-60 is a joke, and so is 1-10 on there, but even on a double XP weekend over there it is a grind to pull out those mid levels. SWTOR is better than WoW in some ways with leveling, and a far cry better than some others, but it is in no way lacking compared to this one.

Hitting 80 is quick. If you’re doing your dungeons as they open up or some point not far after and doing the Explorable paths on top of whatever else you’re doing, you have almost a level thrown at you every run. KDY is the only flash point in SWTOR that comes close to that, and that’s only the first time with the daily. Reaching 80 just isn’t difficult here at all.

Posted by: JackSpacer.4320

JackSpacer.4320

Uh, I got my Charrdian to 80 by using the level 20 exp scoll, and then taking him into SPVP for all the free tomes of knowledge and XP scrolls. I got to 80 in a weekend and also got a few PVP tracks completed as well so I had free gear for him at the end of it. Lots of stuff you can do for levels. Join a guild and have them run you through some dungeons like AC. You can also pick up a crafting profession and get it to 400 for an extra 5 levels. Do something like cooking and it’ll take about 30 mins to do for 5 levels. :p

“The hype is real.”

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

First, to the topic at hand: How are you levelling, specifically? If you’re grinding kills, stop. That’s so inefficient, it makes inefficient things look good in comparison.

EXP gains from kills and from gathering resources are TINY. The good sources are Events, Exploration, “Heart” Quests, and Storyline Quests. (Dungeons are even better, but require meeting each dungeon’s level minimum, AND having good teamwork. They’re group content.) WvW and Edge of the Mists are also good, once you get used to their flow – if you like the competitive side of things. (Just keep your gear updated – your level is upscaled, but your gear is only upscaled proportionate to your level!)

“This is one of the fastest leveling MMOs i’ve played.”

Basically. Although, I have only played a few MMOs myself. But my brother and a few of my friends are aficionados of the genre, so I’ve at least some secondhand exposure. In many games, the experience curve gets steeper and steeper, rising almost exponentially. And at the same time, doing the same things at higher levels gets you less experience, eventually reaching the point where it’s so trivial that you get nothing.

In GW2, the experience curve is a lot closer to linear than to exponential, meaning that each successive level only takes approximately 10% more than the last (roughly; I don’t have exact figures on hand). And due to dynamic scaling of levels, you do NOT earn less experience when doing old content – you actually earn more due to a modifier based on your level. So, once you breeze past the early levels, you settle into a pace where each level takes about as long as the one before. No more, no less.

“you have quite a big mouth talking like that, my first lvl 80 took me about 8 months, my second took me about 14 months.”

It’s really all subjective. It took me four months, myself, but I never felt the need to “rush”. I’d say your 3-5 hours per day estimate would be applicable to me (ok, maybe 4-7; I was seriously hooked in the months after release, only scaling to “reasonable” after about 6-7 months), with more on days I had free.

I never understood the drive for people TO rush, personally. To me, the journey is all part of the fun. I’m not on a deadline, and, unlike some MMOs, this game has content at all level ranges. (Well, less below 30, since they kind of want you to have a full skillbar for most things.)

I will concede that the TC has a valid deadline, in that his free time will be curtailed in the near future. Depending on how curtailed, that might be reason enough to rush. But, as I said at the outset, you can easily gain those levels you need, as long as you remember what is and isn’t worth doing.

Oh, as for the guy commenting on EXP from dailies…

“I seem to remember that I used to get approximately half a level from completing daily when there was the 5 daily (1 AP each) system. I’m not sure where that figure lies now, "

About as good, still. Assuming you do all four PvE ones, and not the minimum three. You’ll usually get 5 EXP consumables (because there’s always a daily that awards two), which is instantly 25% of a level (each scroll is 5% of your current EXP bar). Coupled with the actions you do to get those dailies done, you get enough EXP that you’re making at least half a level a day, just off dailies.

Plus, just from logging in each day, you’re guaranteed 10 Tomes of Knowledge every four weeks. That’s ten entire levels, right there. (Potentially six more, IF you choose tomes from the Chest of Loyalty.)

(Remember that PvP and WvW dailies do not award the EXP consumable.)

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I’ve leveled my mesmer through crafting and tomes of knowledge from pvp on my other toons.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

When I first began playing I remember complaining because of how fast and trivial the levelup process seemed, didn’t feel like I had to exert enough effort into anything to succeed.

Then again, I did come from the vanilla days of Runescape so… that could be why.

Posted by: Unforgiven Azrael.6203

Unforgiven Azrael.6203

It mostly takes me about 5-10min to get to 80, but then I also have enough scrolls to do so

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

Get the char to lvl 35 and start grinding AC. Basically fastest and easiest leveling in the game.

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

Lol, starting out at Level 90 in WoW doesn’t count. If you want to see REAL grinding, go play MapleStory. You’ll never make it to Level 50, let alone 250.

Posted by: baconcupcaxe.4208

baconcupcaxe.4208

All the posters give great info. Levelling is relatively fast and simple. Since you are not on a new account, you may have access to account xp x%, maybe xp boosters, birthday etc. You had the 20 lvl scroll. I think tomes drop in PvP, and SW if I am not mistaken.

As a “vet” you already know about Eotm/wvw. I would never advise a new player to go into eotm, but it is a place for us vets to level. Wvw or eotm may not be working out for you for leveling, but that’s not their intended purpose, it just became that way, especially eotm. I say, too bad. Your expectation to level rapidly really depends on what you have access to and what content you are doing. But like I said, lots of great responses for you in the thread.

Lady Emojuin, Bacon Cupcaxe
Soylent Greenleaf, River Songstress
Gate of Madness

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Hmm…according to the OP’s post history, he is new to computer gaming (and computers). I don’t know what his expectations are for leveling in a computer game (MMO), but I find leveling to be very fast.

Still, as some have stated, it is more about the journey than the destination here is Tyria. Slow down, and smell the dandelions! You will be happy you did. =)

Posted by: Bahlol.6125

Bahlol.6125

I think one reason to feel leveling is kinda slow now days has to do with the personal story, back in the days you could do personal story even if you are under lvl and get buttload of exp, but now u can only do the PS when u hit the story lvl and its like every 10 lvls to get a new chapter, so once u finish a chapter u have to grind lvl to hit that next chapter which can feel slow

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

First 20 levels are fast or instant if you have a year old character. 1 crafting prof is 7 levels if you do it from 0 to 400 and there are 8 profs. 20+56 = 76 and i bet you have 4 lvl tomes now

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Posted by: bosh.9803

bosh.9803

Ive already crafted 14 levels, used 20 tomes… my Ele is 10 days old and only level 68

QQ

Have you tried enjoying the game?

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

Well your first character takes longer due to process of learning the game and the skills of the character. But you can speed level really fast in this game if this is what you wish.

Dungeons give a lot of xp, story give a bit less, but is easier to find groups, explorer give a lot more, but hard to find groups that will carry you if your not level 80. Not impossible though and if you have friends or guild, use them and ask them to bring you to explorer mode.

Heartquest combined with the events around, all whilst finish a region will give you loads of xp. Whilst you do a region you will run in to events that are more productive and give a lot of xp due to a lot of mobs to farm, pinpoint them in your mind and come back here and make them again.

Personal story. This is one of the things you should do, it rewards you with pretty much everything you need whilst leveling. Lots of xp and loot, even keys for the chests.

Worldevents/Bossevent There is a gazillion of events going on all over the GW2 world. In both low and high level areas. Most of them have several so called pre-events, were they can actually give you loads of xp (like for example the full Modniir Ulgoth event in Harathi Hinterlands can give you almost a level if you do it all, and there is similar evens doing the same). In the end there will also be a chest with loots. The event can be done many times a day and give you karma/xp, but you only get the chest one time each day.
http://dulfy.net/2014/04/23/event-timer/ <— This is a bosstimer, there is many of them to use, some have more events added some less, this one i find easy.

EotM. Brainless leveling. I can’t stand it, but many people do, jump on the karma/xp-train and get several levels an hour.

PvP. Whilst pvp in it self do not give any sort of xp, they reward you with level scrolls every now and then. It also teach you have to use your skills properly.

WvW. You can earn a lot of xp and karma here. Capping stuff, tagging stuff all this will give xp. How ever you alone can destroy a fight just by being there, since anyone that tagged you and goes down will rally up if you die, so make sure you are in the background tagging stuff and don’t die. Bring a ranged weapon. When you grow up to lvl 80 and get good gear, you can be in the front with the big guys

Crafting give you xp as well and a lot of it. Add crafting professions to you character and start craft. If you are unsure how to do it or if you want to be more effective, there is many crafting guides on the net.

And a reminder overall that is see so many forgetting about. Food. All give at least +10% xp, some 15%. You will also receive buff of all kinds through the personal story, if they are not the buff you want, convert them at the npc that sells the converting stuff and make sure to run xp-boosters when ever you know you going to do a lot of kills.
Also there is buffbanners and bonfire hangingaround every were that people drops, make sure to add them too and all this will add up with a lot of extra xp and karma.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Just pick a direction and start running. Every piece of the map you unfog, every waypoint and poi you pass, every skill challenge you beat, and every vista you view, all of those give experience. Harvest every crafting node you pass, jump into each event (and get out again as soon as it starts to get tedious), and you’ll find experience coming in faster than you know what to do with it. Don’t forget food, slayer potions (any you have at hand, it’s just for the experience boost), and whatever celebration/birthday/experience/kill-streak boosters you happen to have at hand, they do add up.

Just walk from Lion’s Arch to any place you find interesting and not too far above your level: World boss spawns, guild mission locations, dungeon entrances, temples in Orr … you’ll unlock valuable waypoints and gain levels on the fly. Last time I ran a level 70some to the temple of Grenth (to get some specific equipment for their upcoming wvw build), I gained three or four levels (in less than half an hour) just from map unfogging and unlocking points on the way .

Posted by: Tacit Ronin.2097

Tacit Ronin.2097

I would quite like it if you had the option on an existing level 80, that instead of getting a skillpoint every time the exp bar filled, you’d be mailled a Tome of Knowledge to use on a different character.

I have very little need for skillpoints, and as such I don’t use my lvl 80 characters as much as I’d like to because I feel I’m wasting the exp gain. I realise some like the skillpoints though, so if it were ever to be implemented, I guess it’d have to be selected similar to PvP tracks.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Why is it that alot of people complains that GW2 will not have more than 80 levels and then people complains that it takes to long time to level in the game? (Ok, sure it may not be the same people complaining).

I start to think that maby Anet should make WvW like PvP, I mean a specific WvW Gear, all unlocked traits and skills and so on… Becouse every WvW interested player (Atleast in my guild) skips PvE and jumps straight to Edge of the mists to farm levels in the usual train becouse this is what they have learned from wathing all the streamers out there. Not only do they not learn to play real WvW but they also get bored before they even reach level 80 as it feels like a grind to them (Well it bloody is!!!) and they do not have any traits and no gold to buy them and they don’t wanna do PvE to unlock them.

Anyway about OP’s post people have answered it pretty well but I must agree with most people here, GW2 is the easiest MMO to level from 1 to max and I do not understand why people rush to level to 80. Is it some mentality that belongs in WoW or something…? Games where you can’t do anything fun until you reach the end so you can do something that is called “End Game content” … Well something I try to tell every new player is ‘GW2 is not WoW, do not expect it to be like WoW’.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

This guy is obviously trolling.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Im starting too feel like its just me who takes forever too level. I remember when i leveled my 2nd 80 it took like 2 days. That was doing map completion and WvW. Now days playing in SEA timezones and T1 server i cant WvW for levels considering that most of the time its defending or fighting. EotM is way unbalanced every week im on the side that lacks numbers and gets smashed, which means nobody gets anywhere here. Leveling via map completion seems to only bring me 1 level an hour at the most. Ive already crafted 14 levels, used 20 tomes… my Ele is 10 days old and only level 68, and this is hours every day of trying to level but everywhere is just slow… am i doing something wrong?

well you dont mention doing your personal story which is the biggest source of xp in the game, its also a good idea to complete your dailies they give quite good xp too. Then there is dungeons that also give a good chunk of xp, nearly a whole level per run once you’re high enough to do them.

as other have suggested you can also do some spvp for the tomes, its relatively quick.

that being said If I were you i’d just play and enjoy the game there is no need to rush to lvl 80 at all.

Posted by: Nafeasonto.8925

Nafeasonto.8925

“Leveling takes forever.”

LOL.

Have you ever played EverQuest? This game is a breeze compared. Probably the easiest MMO I have ever played.

You literally can go into Edge of the Mist and follow the Zerg from level 22 all the way to 80. It takes a short time.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“Leveling takes forever, or just me?”

Just you, OP. I have 0 issues with the speed of leveling. Just started a brand new baby ranger (sylvari) which I’m working on leveling. She’ll make my 14th 80 when she’s done.

Then maybe I’ll go back to leveling my Norn ele…or maybe not. I’ve left her at 55 as a “bag opener”

And I’m planning on at least 1 revenant.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Been playing since Beta and Leveling takes much less time now.

You would have really enjoyed GW1 Prophesies……Played for 7 months and finally made it to LVL 20 (max level in that game). Then Factions came out and you could level to 20 in less than a week.

As others here have stated, there really is no reason to rush to 80 unless you already have multiple LVL 80s. A new player needs to learn how to play properly before rushing to 80 and delving into Orr or Silverwastes (please tell me your first character isn’t a Ranger….)

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

You are either lying or doing something wrong.

If you just focus on event chains (not leaving before checking if there’s followup events), world completion, crafting, gathering and dailies until level 30-35, then also start doing daily dungeons, you’ll get to level 80 in less than 10 hours easily without rushing and consumables.

You go to the Edge of the Mists following some commader in a big group, you’ll end up at level 80 even faster.

After getting a level 80, you save tomes of knowledge and writs of knowledge for alts and you get them to level 80 faster than ever.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!