Leveling was fun

Leveling was fun

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

In early launch GW2 it was a blast to level in Tyria. But now? Hell no! Now it’s much more fun to be level 80. Why? Because when leveling now you unlock skills, weapon slots,content and features so slow it feels like your freedom is taken away, you’re bound to play a certain way and blocked from fun.

The new starter experience should be optional. At least how you unlock skills etc. Not the rewards though.

Leveling was fun

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

Honestly, it’s not that bad. I’ve leveled a new character up to 45+, and it’s actually just as easy and fun as it used to be. The delay in getting the weapon skills actually made me appreciate them a little bit more then I otherwise would have.

Admittedly, I didn’t like the concept of the vista’s/skill-points being level gated, but they seem to have fixed that for accounts that already unlocked them.

Leveling was fun

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m not seeing it either. The only thing I don’t like is the traits, but you surely don’t need them to level, not even on a mesmer.

Leveling was fun

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

In fairness, traits did make leveling a Mesmer a LOT easier. I’m glad mine was leveled way back before the trait’s were changed.

Leveling was fun

Vayne.8563

Have you tried a mesmer since the NPE…because I have. They did make the world easier to compensate for lack of traits.

Leveling was fun

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

I’m playing as a mesmer norn and I agree with OP. Levels 1-10 are alright. 11-15 drags a little. 16-30 are a nightmare to me. Changing the way trait system works would probably help.
The only good thing about NPE is how easy it is to level at 1-10, the dodging tutorial and level rewards. Other than that, it’s pretty tedious.

Leveling was fun

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I have to disagree with OP. Levelling still is fun for me. I have 20 characters and 18 of them are level 80, all except one I levelled by exploring maps, mostly the starter zones. I reckon if you’re looking to spend less than 100 hours getting to 80, then you’re looking to level too quickly.

Having said that, ArenaNet have provided this thing called a [Tome of Knowldege] which lets any character gain one level instantly. Also, every character on their birthday (both first and second currently) they are given a scroll which levels any character under level 20 to level 20. I am going to end up getting more of these than I can use, so I don’t understand why people complain about levelling being too slow, and I can’t understand what more players who do complain expect ArenaNet to do for them.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Leveling was fun

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

I have to disagree with OP. Levelling still is fun for me. I have 20 characters and 18 of them are level 80, all except one I levelled by exploring maps, mostly the starter zones. I reckon if you’re looking to spend less than 100 hours getting to 80, then you’re looking to level too quickly.

Having said that, ArenaNet have provided this thing called a [Tome of Knowldege] which lets any character gain one level instantly. Also, every character on their birthday (both first and second currently) they are given a scroll which levels any character under level 20 to level 20. I am going to end up getting more of these than I can use, so I don’t understand why people complain about levelling being too slow, and I can’t understand what more players who do complain expect ArenaNet to do for them.

I had a long response written up for your post, but then I thought “It’s just not worth it” You probably wouldn’t get it anyway.

Leveling was fun

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

So all of those posts that came out before the updated NPE did not mention how horrible leveling was and how people wished to skip it.

Leveling was fun

Posted by: tofumon.5924

tofumon.5924

Have you tried a mesmer since the NPE…because I have. They did make the world easier to compensate for lack of traits.

So are you saying that you’d rather have easy content and no traits vs. more challenging content with a lot of traits?

Leveling was fun

Posted by: Thief.6207

Thief.6207

New player here …
is there ANY place I can find a list of what changes were made to the starter areas, for example, did they really remove all the Juvenile (tameable) animals other than the ravens from Wayfarer Hills, or is my video card just playing a cruel trick on me? I know they should be there because I started just before the NPE and leveled a ranger there up to 8 or so.

Where did they say they were gating pets, for crying out loud?

It’s not that I mind the gating itself that much, but I would like to KNOW what’s gated now (that nobody mentioned), and what’s a bug. I cannot adequately express my frustration at not knowing, and not being able to find out.

With respect,

Sim the Ineluctable

Leveling was fun

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

I had a long response written up for your post, but then I thought “It’s just not worth it” You probably wouldn’t get it anyway.

Right there with you.

Nowhere did the OP mention that it took too long to level with the NPE. They only mentioned that is was no longer as much fun EDIT and the unlocking was slow.

(edited by Lazuli.2098)

Leveling was fun

Posted by: Shun.9475

Shun.9475

TIL people on the forums don’t know how much of a time sink it is at low levels.

Leveling was fun

Vayne.8563

So are you saying that you’d rather have easy content and no traits vs. more challenging content with a lot of traits?

Nope. I’m saying that how easy or hard the open world is doesn’t really change my experience while leveling. That is to say, it didn’t change my experience much at all.

Leveling was fun

Vayne.8563

New player here …
is there ANY place I can find a list of what changes were made to the starter areas, for example, did they really remove all the Juvenile (tameable) animals other than the ravens from Wayfarer Hills, or is my video card just playing a cruel trick on me? I know they should be there because I started just before the NPE and leveled a ranger there up to 8 or so.

Where did they say they were gating pets, for crying out loud?

It’s not that I mind the gating itself that much, but I would like to KNOW what’s gated now (that nobody mentioned), and what’s a bug. I cannot adequately express my frustration at not knowing, and not being able to find out.

With respect,

Sim the Ineluctable

Yes they did remove tamable animals from early in the zones. The idea was to give brand new players less to deal with period. One concept at a time, or as few concepts as at a time as they could manage.

Other changes included removing bundles.

Edit: There are still tamable animals in every city though. And changes were mostly in the 1-5 areas…the 10-15 areas are pretty much unchanged.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Leveling was fun

Posted by: tofumon.5924

tofumon.5924

Nope. I’m saying that how easy or hard the open world is doesn’t really change my experience while leveling. That is to say, it didn’t change my experience much at all.

Oh, okay, well it changes my experience. No traits is not fun. Lots of traits is fun. That’s the main difference for me between the old and new leveling system.

Leveling was fun

Posted by: archdemonXIII.7063

archdemonXIII.7063

The delay in getting the weapon skills actually made me appreciate them a little bit more then I otherwise would have.

A famine makes you really appreciate having food. (sorry, not trying to single you out here)

My problem with the NPE is that too much stuff is locked when it could have been hidden. If an adventurous newbie finds a vista at level 2, that is the time to unlock vistas. It’s the difference between helping someone along as opposed to forcing them to go at your pace. You don’t learn to play guitar by having an instructor add one string at a time.

You know what running around with just auto attack and none of the skills/utilities/traits that make the professions unique teaches you? That you could be doing something else that is fun.

Leveling was fun

Vayne.8563

The delay in getting the weapon skills actually made me appreciate them a little bit more then I otherwise would have.

A famine makes you really appreciate having food. (sorry, not trying to single you out here)

My problem with the NPE is that too much stuff is locked when it could have been hidden. If an adventurous newbie finds a vista at level 2, that is the time to unlock vistas. It’s the difference between helping someone along as opposed to forcing them to go at your pace. You don’t learn to play guitar by having an instructor add one string at a time.

You know what running around with just auto attack and none of the skills/utilities/traits that make the professions unique teaches you? That you could be doing something else that is fun.

Except that vistas aren’t locked and haven’t been. They simply don’t appear on the map. If you run into a Vista you can use it at any level.

Leveling was fun

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

Because not every person in game has multiple characters close to birthday and that not every person who plays PvE only buys enough keys from gem store to get as many Tomes of knowledge to actually use them as a viable substitution to normal levelling up? Not to mention that the b-day 1-20 is completely useless considering those are the fastest levels to get in game and the real pain starts after that. Keep in mind that not every person plays PvP enough to fill stacks of Tomes.
I personally care very little about the NPE, should I level more characters it will surely not be through exploring and such. The OP has all the right to express his opinion about the system, with another bracket for everyone: if you like something it doesn’t imply that everyone else necessarely like it as well.

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Leveling was fun

Posted by: archdemonXIII.7063

archdemonXIII.7063

Except that vistas aren’t locked and haven’t been. They simply don’t appear on the map. If you run into a Vista you can use it at any level.

So they are locked from the map. Which means if they find a vista and go “O neat! I wonder if there is more of those?” they need to wait until more are revealed by level unlocking or they get lucky again.

Leveling was fun

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

So they are locked from the map. Which means if they find a vista and go “O neat! I wonder if there is more of those?” they need to wait until more are revealed by level unlocking or they get lucky again.

I think you might have misunderstood – if you already had at least one character that was up to the appropriate levels (IIRC) before the NPE went live, you’ll be able to access them from the beginning on a new character afterward (or, I’m given to understand, if you started playing the game after the NPE, unlocked vistas and skill challenges on your first character, and then created more characters). It’s supposed to be New Player Experience, after all, not New "Character* experience, and vistas and skill challenges were fixed I’ve found it to be that way on the characters I’ve created since the NPE went live. Vistas and skill challenges are still hidden (unexplored) on a given map until you enter the area they’re located in, and that is what you might be thinking of.

Leveling was fun

Posted by: Stramatus.5219

Stramatus.5219

I’ve given up on leveling my lower level alts since the September update. This level gated nonsense just ruined it for me and I get pretty upset while playing my alts pretty quickly.

All this crap in the name of “new players”. What? Do we need to remind them to breath too?

Sir Helvidius | Sir Beregond | Proud Ascalonian Humans
“Remember The Searing. We never forget, and never forgive.” – Family Motto

Leveling was fun

Posted by: Thief.6207

Thief.6207

Thank you, Vayne, much appreciated. One point about vistas (and here I think I’m remembering the world map rather than the minimap) — they showed up for me on recent new toons’ maps, there was just no information about them until the level was reached.

I’d like it if the mystery of exactly what was done (including effects on both maps) — as well as UI locks like menu items hidden or rewards moved around — could be cleared up by an authority. I’ve heard more than one explanation about it, all plausible.

At one point there was a user-created list by level on the wiki that seems to be gone now. A dev-approved list would be very helpful.

Again, thanks,

Sim the Ineluctable