Limit Testing on the Black Lion Trading Post

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SarahWitter.2317

SarahWitter.2317

Hi all-

We’re running some tests on the Black Lion Trading Post to try to reduce the number of error messages that a player may receive when they attempt to sell a large number of items in a short period of time. As we make adjustments to find a good balance you may see fluctuations in the frequency of error messages, but the message frequency will decrease rather than increase.

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

Hi all-

We’re running some tests on the Black Lion Trading Post to try to reduce the number of error messages that a player may receive when they attempt to sell a large number of items in a short period of time. As we make adjustments to find a good balance you may see fluctuations in the frequency of error messages, but the message frequency will decrease rather than increase.

Thank you for the heads up – sounds like it will be a nice improvement once you have the bugs worked out!

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Can we hope that this leads to being able to type in numbers larger than 250 for buy orders?

I really don’t understand why this limitation is in place. You can instant buy or buy ourder 250 items, and get those items from 250 separate stacks of 1. If I need 268 leather, why can’t i just type in 268? The items will still end up in stacks of 250 and 18 before they get to my inventory.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Can we hope that this leads to being able to type in numbers larger than 250 for buy orders?

I really don’t understand why this limitation is in place. You can instant buy or buy ourder 250 items, and get those items from 250 separate stacks of 1. If I need 268 leather, why can’t i just type in 268? The items will still end up in stacks of 250 and 18 before they get to my inventory.

That isnt the limit change being tested. You probably should make a thread on that if you want it discussed.

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Is this about when your selling your inventory and about the 10th or 12th item you get the error message saying you sold to much stuff and have to wait? Thanks for looking into this, it’s really just a minor annoyance but annoyance nonetheless

Posted by: Yunielesca.2850

Yunielesca.2850

I’ve remarked some changings on the afternoon(I’m in France) when i was selling loots from Tarir. I wondered if it was me selling slowlier or if something had changed xD

I even thought for a moment that the limitation was removed, but I got the message. Only once, while usually I had it many times.

You’re going on the right direction. Those messages are so much annoying, above all with all the loot we get in HoT

Thank you.

(edited by Yunielesca.2850)

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

Sarah – Thank you for the heads-up prior to the event.

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

Are these tests being run Live, or something being pushed out in the next Patch?

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Are these tests being run Live, or something being pushed out in the next Patch?

Since they are testing based on volume/frequency of requests, and seeing as the whole trading post is basically a set of web pages, they don’t need a patch to do this sort of testing… and not doing it live would be kind of pointless due to the lack of realistic server load.

Based on those facts and her choice on wording… I believe these tests can be ran, or they could already be ongoing, at any time. It is more than likely tweaking the backend web servers/services and/or their configuration, letting it run for a while and adjusting based on what they see… repeat until they reach a point where they are happy with it.

She is not promising the error message will go away, just that it should be less frequent ergo this likely isn’t some huge systemic change requiring massive changes though. It could even be something as simple as the servers the trading post is running on having had some hardware changes and this is them adjusting the configuration to get the most out of those changes.

(edited by Crise.9401)

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

The one really annoying thing to me about the game is having to spending an excessive amount of time selling stuff out of my inventory. I wish the drop rate of stuff from chests and such was lower but give more rewarding drops. Often about 1/3 of the drops I get are stuff that has reached the lowest sell price on the BL store and there are hundreds if not thousands of them being sold. I usually either salvage those or sell them to a regular merchant. It takes time to check all of the loot on the BL store.

More rewarding but fewer drops would help both the player and reduce demand on the BL store. At least in the HoT areas which is where a lot of the high volume drops are.

Also this is just a thought but maybe removing account bound from the various container drops (bags, backpacks, boxes, etc) would help also as it would allow them to be sold without the player having to open them.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I lead a simple life when it comes to inventory management. If it is not exotic and can be salvaged, it is and the mats sent to the collection tab in the bank. Rare upgrades are sold off on the TP with any mat overflow. Junk and masterwork upgrades are sold to merchant NPCs. It’s not rocket surgery.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

We’re running some tests on the Black Lion Trading Post to try to reduce the number of error messages

Any chance we’ll get the sell limit increased from 250? Would bypass the limit problems without increase server load.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Thank you for this.

I often get frustrated by the limit. I’m learning to work around it (like finishing Silverwastes, selling as much as I can, running to Hidden Depths, selling more, opening the chest, selling more, going to HotM, selling more, going to LA, selling more etc.) but it would be really nice if the limit wasn’t quite as strict.

After John Smith explained it I can understand why it’s there, but if it can be reduced it’d make me very happy.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

So John Smith recently told us that this was a technical limitation that would require a large number of man hours to fix and would never happen…

What changed? Was some work around found? This is good news, but I hope it didn’t take away from the many many more pressing issues the game has or the production of content.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

So John Smith recently told us that this was a technical limitation that would require a large number of man hours to fix and would never happen…

What changed? Was some work around found? This is good news, but I hope it didn’t take away from the many many more pressing issues the game has or the production of content.

Groucharoo also said that Bluxgore is working on some new tech that will give them the ability to do skill splits in a more meaningful way across multiple formats. New tech? We already have skill splits to a certain extent, but that’s what he said. We had meaningful skill splits in GW1, lol. I take what they say as just game dev double speak when they either aren’t allowed to tell us or don’t want to tell us, or don’t know.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Yay! No more having to find other things to do between sales whenever I want to sell a bunch of stuff.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Often about 1/3 of the drops I get are stuff that has reached the lowest sell price on the BL store and there are hundreds if not thousands of them being sold. I usually either salvage those or sell them to a regular merchant. It takes time to check all of the loot on the BL store.

If it is a blue, green, or white do not even bother checking the price on the TP. Salvage it and sell the mats. A few mats will not sell on the TP so just toss those at a merchant for a few coppers.