Limit stats higher than exotics to dungeons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Currently, the main issue that is being raised in relation to ascended gear is that non dungeon runners do not want to be dragged into the gear treadmill that dungeon runners seem to want. Higher stats on gear may not affect open world much, but it will definitely affect WvWvW.

If this is the case, why not limit it to dungeons? There is no valid reason why the open world or WvW needs stats higher than exotics, and yet this would still allow new dungeon instances to be gated so that only the best geared players can continue forward. Open world and WvW progression can continue to be horizontal, focusing on looks instead of stats.

After nearly 11,000 posts on the now removed ascended gear thread, the majority of which can be summed up to “wtf are you thinking?” in a rage response that an MMO hasn’t seen the likes of since Blizzard’s Real ID thread, it’s obvious some middle ground needs to be found before a large portion of the player base gets alienated.

It’s been painful to see how barren my server has become as of late. This terrible news has demotivated a lot of people who ran to GW2 thinking it was an oasis from the flood of WoW clones as of late… Please, give those of us who still have some faith in Arenanet some hope that this debacle will be fixed in the future.

Posted by: Reaver.9256

Reaver.9256

I vote no. I don’t run dungeons and I don’t want my sword a year from now still being just a few stats. I want it to shoot dragons out my butt or something cool like that. You want boring items forever then go play diablo 3. If your sever is barren come join stormbluff cause the game is as popular as ever here…….

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

I vote no. I don’t run dungeons and I don’t want my sword a year from now still being just a few stats. I want it to shoot dragons out my butt or something cool like that. You want boring items forever then go play diablo 3. If your sever is barren come join stormbluff cause the game is as popular as ever here…….

And I don’t want some PvE player to come into WvW with better gear than I can get doing WvW. Different looking gear is cool, as it would encourage playing different aspects of the game (but not require it), better stats is not as it requires certain aspects of the game to be completed to compete on even footing in a different aspect.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

Keep higher-than-exotic out of dungeons, too!

I love dungeons. I don’t like grind. I want to be able to joind friends and guild in any dungeon without the need to grind first. Keep ascended out of dungeons!

Ooops.

See how ridiculous “keep ascended in dungeons” is? You may not like the fact that it affects your game and dungeons may not be a part of that. I don’t like the fact that it affects my game but dungeons are a part of it.

Solution? Simple. Remove higher-than-exotic stats from the game altogether. Anything less is only a pseudo-solution.

Posted by: fractal.7039

fractal.7039

The minor stats increase will not matter in WvW…. no matter how hard peopel try to convince other it does…. 30 people killing one person.

..so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn’t stop to think if they should

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

ofc stats will affect it, assuming a 20vs20zerg with ppl of equal skill and same amount of classes, but one zerg er purely exotic, the other is purely ascnded, geuss who will win…?

Posted by: replicant.3620

replicant.3620

The group with more Mesmers?

Peralta | 80 Human Necromancer | Pain Train Choo [Choo] | Sanctum of Rall

GummiBear.2756

The group with more Mesmers?

did you read my post? i said “with same classes” too

Posted by: Jarl.8607

Jarl.8607

Of course it matters, 1v1 & other small fights happen in WvW too.

Engineer – lvl 80 – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

ofc stats will affect it, assuming a 20vs20zerg with ppl of equal skill and same amount of classes, but one zerg er purely exotic, the other is purely ascnded, geuss who will win…?

The more skillful group? Having all 3 available Ascended items only creates 1% increase in your total available character stats, not even worth the effort really.

Besides, you can throw this scenario around, but a 20v20 in WvW will NEVER be equal. No one will run identical builds, so stats will never be identical, even if everyone ran the exact same gear, traits and the like still throw things out of whack. There is no balance at all in WvW, never will be, so the stats mean nothing.

Even in scenarios where its two smaller groups roaming, in the end it will still end up being the server with the larger group who wins.

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Posted by: Lucky.4263

Lucky.4263

WoW and Rift do this just fine they are advertised as vertical progression games and do it well.

Gw2 was not advertised as such and we all knew this coming into the game.. if you liked vertical progression “gear grinds” so much why did you even bother with Gw2?

also your D3 comment can be thrown right back at you… if you want a never ending gear tredmill go play WoW/Rift….

(edited by Lucky.4263)

Posted by: Pukknub.7368

Pukknub.7368

Yes. That wont happen in wvw though. If it did happen, luck would decide who won.

Pukknub
Proud member of Velocity [VcY]

tkalamba.2541

WoW and Rift do this just fine they are advertised as vertical progression games and do it well.

Gw2 was not advertised as such and we all knew this coming into the game if u liked vertical progression “gear grinds” so much why did u even bother with Gw2.

I don’t recall WoW or Rift ever actually being advertised as such…

GW2 also wasn’t “advertised” as a game without vertical progression, which has it to a degree anyways. If it were truly a horizontal progression game, it’d be closer to what Planetside 2 offers, where levels don’t exist, and all weapons and the like just allow you to specialize. We have level 1-80, with different levels of gear, there is and always has been vertical progression. This is how the game was sold, this is how you played.

Ascended gear isn’t even useful, compare it to your total stats, not just a like item of exotic, and you find you only gain a 1% increase, if you have all 3 ascended items equipped, this will not change a thing, and is not the same as powercreep. It’s simply not worth the cost, unless you want to run fractals over and over again.

Vayra.3290

Gw2 was not advertised as such and we all knew this coming into the game if u liked vertical progression “gear grinds” so much why did u even bother with Gw2.

GW2 also wasn’t “advertised” as a game without vertical progression, which has it to a degree anyways. If it were truly a horizontal progression game, it’d be closer to what Planetside 2 offers, where levels don’t exist, and all weapons and the like just allow you to specialize. We have level 1-80, with different levels of gear, there is and always has been vertical progression. This is how the game was sold, this is how you played.

Ascended gear isn’t even useful, compare it to your total stats, not just a like item of exotic, and you find you only gain a 1% increase, if you have all 3 ascended items equipped, this will not change a thing, and is not the same as powercreep. It’s simply not worth the cost, unless you want to run fractals over and over again.

We were told Exotics were the highest stats in the game, and the only progression would be for skins or different stat combinations.

Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

GW2 also wasn’t “advertised” as a game without vertical progression, which has it to a degree anyways.

This is sad. You are so wrong it is not even funny. Arenanet has been advertising that GW2 would be based on horizontal progression for years. Even right before and after launch, they issued statements and videos explaining these core tenets/components in the game.

It is so sad that people bought this game without doing research. Then when they did not find the “cool MMO stuff” that all the other vertical progression ones have, they complained.

Arenanet made it clear that GW2 would not be like others and would be based on horizontal progression.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

tkalamba.2541

We were told Exotics were the highest stats in the game, and the only progression would be for skins or different stat combinations.

From what I understand, they never said it would be the final, and a dev saying they would be doesn’t make it advertised as such. They specifically said that Legendaries would be best in slot, and they still are.

Vayra.3290

From what I understand, they never said it would be the final, and a dev saying they would be doesn’t make it advertised as such. They specifically said that Legendaries would be best in slot, and they still are.

They also specifically said Legendaries would just be exotics with cooler skins and way harder to get.

Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

They knew perfectly well this would screw over non-dungeon hamsters but they did it anyway because they also knew the hamsters would want their shiny new stat increases to affect other parts of the game.

They also knew a lot of people would have shrugged and not bothered with the grind if the gear didn’t affect gameplay outside dungeons, and they wanted a max number of people to grind because hey, guess what, there is a gems for gold tie in, you can shorten your grind by purchasing gold with gems and then buying the mats.

They’re not stupid, just greedy and shortsighted.

So gamers, you know how to stop this sort of behavior in the future from developers, don’t you? Please say you do!

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

tkalamba.2541

GW2 also wasn’t “advertised” as a game without vertical progression, which has it to a degree anyways.

This is sad. You are so wrong it is not even funny. Arenanet has been advertising that GW2 would be based on horizontal progression for years. Even right before and after launch, they issued statements and videos explaining these core tenets/components in the game.

It is so sad that people bought this game without doing research. Then when they did not find the “cool MMO stuff” that all the other vertical progression ones have, they complained.

Arenanet made it clear that GW2 would not be like others and would be based on horizontal progression.

Pure Horizontal progression would mean we wouldn’t have had levels, or tiered gear at all.

Planetside 2 is Horizontal progression, levels do not exists, just ranks, that mean nothing aside from how long you’ve played. Certification gain unlocks different guns, that aren’t better, but cater to different play styles.

GW2, on the other hand still has leveling, from 1-80 and tiered gear. That is still vertical progression.

Planetside 2, I can be comepetive right from the get go aslong as I know the games controls.

I did my research, I understand the product I purchased, this game was never just about horizontal progression, if anything it features both types.

The only part of this game that features pure Horizontal progression is sPVP. Everything else, WvW included still has alot of vertical progression, to the point where at release, alot of players wouldn’t even participate until hitting 80. If you bought this game solely for horizontal progression, and you don’t only sPVP, then you failed to do your research.

I’m using PS2 only as an example of what Horizontal progression is.

(edited by tkalamba.2541)

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

They said that Legendarys and Exotics would be BiS and that BiS Items would be rather easy to get, which was true until November 15th. Now you have to grind all day to get your BiS gear.

Okay, it doesn’t affect WvW that much yet. But if they continue going down this road there will be ascended armor and weapons too so there will be a big gap between those who can afford the grind and those cannot. And that’s just not acceptable.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: Dhar.6392

Dhar.6392

How about you do away with stats altogether and just compete for skills.

tkalamba.2541

How about you do away with stats altogether and just compete for skills.

This is exactly what Horizontal progression is… and if this game were only about it, then it would have been built exactly like this. This is also exactly what sPVP is….

The game was designed to cater to different needs of different players. It succeeds in this, but also means that parts of this game cannot cater to absolutely everyone.

GummiBear.2756

Yes. That wont happen in wvw though. If it did happen, luck would decide who won.

ofc it wont realistically happen, it is merely an EXAMPLE on how it would be able to see a clearly advantage, in that one dream scenario, where you could be pretty sure the side with the ascended gear would win. and if it would matter in that particular scenario it will always have SOME impact, just in a less extreme degree

As for the ppl saying it is only 1%… well it might be FOR NOW, when we only have jewellery, but ANet have specifically said with time you will be able to equip a full set of ascended gear, and well the stat difference on rings of different rarities generally are bigger on armor and weps than on jewellery, so will end up with a LOT more than 1%

tkalamba.2541

ofc it wont realistically happen, it is merely an EXAMPLE on how it would be able to see a clearly advantage, in that one dream scenario, where you could be pretty sure the side with the ascended gear would win. and if it would matter in that particular scenario it will always have SOME impact, just in a less extreme degree

As for the ppl saying it is only 1%… well it might be FOR NOW, when we only have jewellery, but ANet have specifically said with time you will be able to equip a full set of ascended gear, and well the stat difference on rings of different rarities generally are bigger on armor and weps than on jewellery, so will end up with a LOT more than 1%

Armour and Weapons have sigils and Runes, which further throw the stats way out of balance. With the trend started with accessories, we can assume that Armour and weapons will not be upgradeable, so they will have some sort of built in stat mechanic.

The problem is, it’s unlikely they will be able to build it to match bonuses offered by Runes, as they stack based on how many runes you have, and offer non standard bonuses over what regular upgrades give you (such as bonus attack effects, such as AOE flame bursts, or birds attacking a player.)

What we will more than likely see is, a structure similar to how the rings and backpieces are now, very specific stat bonuses, but lack the abilities of runes, which provide even more bonuses ontop of the base stats, and allow for custom builds. Exotics could then remain useful for a vast majority of players.

Posted by: Ctarl.3629

Ctarl.3629

They said that Legendarys and Exotics would be BiS and that BiS Items would be rather easy to get, which was true until November 15th. Now you have to grind all day to get your BiS gear.

Not to mention that the shared material requirements for Exotics/Ascended/Legendaries lead to price inflations that directly affect availability of Exotics (formerly known as “max stat”).

Compared to the max stat Droknar’s armor in GW1, full Exotic gear in GW2 is already ridiculously hard to get (and is not even max stat anymore). Unlike the Armor in GW1, the price of Exotics depend on the “free market” in the game, which means they will get even more expensive as the main player base gets richer and more people try to get Ascended/Legendary items.

It will get harder and harder for new players to get geared up properly which might very well turn some of these people away from the game.

The fact that one of the required materials (for all three gear tiers!) is a pure RNG item (ectoplasm) doesn’t help, either.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

I play dungeons and i HATE with passion ascended gear….
I want to play dungeons for the sake of playing them and not to grind equipment.

Just delete ascended stats at all….or keep them on separate servers…

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

tkalamba.2541

I play dungeons and i HATE with passion ascended gear….
I want to play dungeons for the sake of playing them and not to grind equipment.

Just delete ascended stats at all….or keep them on separate servers…

You still have every single dungeon that you can experience…. and you can do fractals as much as you want below level 20 without worrying, so you can choose to ignore Ascended gear, and be perfectly fine.

Posted by: kidbs.8920

kidbs.8920

How about you go play one of the many other gear treadmill MMOs instead of GW2. Or they could do what the OP is reasonably asking and makes perfect sense. If you want to run dungeons then your stats only really matter there. Tie the new tier levels to dungeons specifically and keep that treadmill crap out of WvWvW.

If this bothers you then you’re clearly one of those people that wants to use gear as a crutch rather than skill or tactics in W3.

SoR – Nethernoz (Necro), Zealot of Pain (Guardian), William The Butcher (Ranger)

tkalamba.2541

How about you go play one of the many other gear treadmill MMOs instead of GW2. Or they could do what the OP is reasonably asking and makes perfect sense. If you want to run dungeons then your stats only really matter there. Tie the new tier levels to dungeons specifically and keep that treadmill crap out of WvWvW.

If this bothers you then you’re clearly one of those people that wants to use gear as a crutch rather than skill or tactics in W3.

The stats offered by Ascended will not effect WvW in anyway… it’s already way to unbalanced as is. Skill, and tactics will continue to matter way more.

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

Ascended Gear does not offer normal upgrade slots, so a portion of the stats bost is meant to compensate for that fact. If they tuned down the stats of Ascended gear slightly, so that the boost vs. a max. enhanced Exotic was, say 5%, the oower curve would be more acceptable.

With that done, infusions should have zero effect outside of Dungeons, or could even be limited only to FotM.

When I first read about Ascended Gear, I thought this would be a no-brainer and that Arenanet would have already done so. (It seems most infusions are split between Agony Mitigation, which is already useless outside of FotM and normal stat boosts).

Posted by: deborah.2068

deborah.2068

Argueing the point of limiting the use of Ascended Gear use only in dungeons leads me to believe its not about the challenge and fun that you have in there, only about one uping the other players out in the world. If I cant run around the world showing off my shinies I wont feel accomplished? I feel sorry that there are people out there that need that soo badly in a video game.

Posted by: Veltoss.9135

Veltoss.9135

First off, one new tier of gear does not make a treadmill.

Second, they’ve said already that they will be adding more ascended gear and more ways to get it.

Blackgate

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

Not only this, but ascended gear also isn’t worth it because the amount of mats you need. 1 vial of condensed mist, 240 philosopher’s stones, 50 ecto, 250 T6 mat for a back item – yeah, that’s a grind I am not willing to do particularly and a grind for a small increase in stats.

Comparing a rare guild backpack with berserker’s stats and exquisite ruby gem to the quiver of swift flight, you get the following:

Rare guild back
*20 pwr
*14 prec
*1% crit dmg

(from gem)
*25 pwr
*15 prec
*3% crit dmg

no infusion slot

Ascended quiver
24 pwr
17 prec
1% crit dmg

(from second stats where gem would be in exotic or below)
32 pwr
18 prec
4% crit dmg

offensive infusion slot

Let’s just say you have the vial, 240 philosopher stones, and 50 ecto, but need the 250 powerful blood. Right now , 250 powerful blood is 25 silver per about in the TP. Is 62g50s really worth this small increase in stats? I don’t think so.

I’m using the berserker back piece as an example because apparently players don’t realize there’s other decent stats in the game and easier to get materials. The ascended back that requires ancient bone is more plausible since bone drops a crapton in Orr and it will balance out a full berserker set with some condition dmg and toughness.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

tkalamba.2541

Not only this, but ascended gear also isn’t worth it because the amount of mats you need. 1 vial of condensed mist, 240 philosopher’s stones, 50 ecto, 250 T6 mat for a back item – yeah, that’s a grind I am not willing to do particularly and a grind for a small increase in stats.

Comparing a rare guild backpack with berserker’s stats and exquisite ruby gem to the quiver of swift flight, you get the following:

Rare guild back
*20 pwr
*14 prec
*1% crit dmg

(from gem)
*25 pwr
*15 prec
*3% crit dmg

no infusion slot

Ascended quiver
24 pwr
17 prec
1% crit dmg

32 pwr
18 prec
4% crit dmg

offensive infusion slot

Let’s just say you have the vial, 240 philosopher stones, and 50 ecto, but need the 250 powerful blood. Right now , 250 powerful blood is 25 silver per about in the TP. Is 62g50s really worth this small increase in stats? I don’t think so.

I’m using the berserker back piece as an example because apparently players don’t realize there’s other decent stats in the game and easier to get materials. The ascended back that requires ancient bone is more plausible since bone drops a crapton in Orr and it will balance out a full berserker set with some condition dmg and toughness.

You can get 250 ancient bone for like, 6 -7 gold I believe, which means the Ascended backpiece is now a crap load cheaper than if you went for Koss on Koss, which cost something like 30 gold just for the Vicious Fangs, the ectos will remain the only cost prohibitive component.

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

First off, one new tier of gear does not make a treadmill.

Second, they’ve said already that they will be adding more ascended gear and more ways to get it.

Great. So what’s the timeline? Can I use my existing WvW tokens and karma or will yet another annoying currency be introduced? Will ascended materials ever be lowered for crafters and non-dungeon grinders so they can acquire them as well?

I don’t know if the game is still doing okay or not, but the complete lack of information is no help at all.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

The ones with the better PC would win. Doesn’t matter much on that small amount of gear change if you can’t even move/dodge without the PC coughing up blood.

And don’t say “well what if you had 20 vs 20 with the Exact same PC setup, with the exact same connection” cause that would never happen.

Posted by: deborah.2068

deborah.2068

Truely ….. keep debating the issue if you may for most running the dungeon and getting the gear is not fun what they do find fun is sitting in a certain area and having the average player fawning of them this is the experience they want not of getting the gear and having the fun in the dungeon and too do that they have to be able to bring that gear outside the dungeon. I think what they dont understand with this change and the uproar it is causing that average player base is going to dwindle down in to nothing and then well those same people wont like the game anymore even tho a new dungeon and set of gear is released cuz there is no one there to appreciate how skilled they are then they also will run off to a new game thinking they can find the masses there to show off their ever growing skill leaving a broken game in need of fixing there are alot of games out there some survive it Rift Swor maybe this one will to who knows

Posted by: moirweyn.9872

moirweyn.9872

So now you suggest three rule sets?

PvE (WvW falls into this category – why I have no frakking clue) – Exotics MAX & Legendaries Optional (aesthetic only)
PvP – PvP Only Gear
Dungeon – Dungeon Gear Treadmill forever!

Actually…That would make everyone happy – add a Dungeon lobby and then add a locker to the Dungeon lobby for Dungeon gear otherwise you always have on your PvE/WvW gear since they follow the same rule set.

Totally down with that idea since I hate Dungeons.

“There are two types of people in the world…and I don’t like them.”

Posted by: Jezath.7395

Jezath.7395

As if that will ever ever happen lol….

It wont so imo thats a mute point..

Tis not what they can do for you
Tis only what you can do for all

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

They should make WvW like sPvP, equal gear, all skills available at level 1. Or just equal gear if people are happy leveling in WvW (I was a happy WvW leveler even though I often lost 1v1 fights, but only because I knew that once I hit 80 I’d quickly have on par gear.)

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Posted by: Hawks.5736

Hawks.5736

Im a PvE player, and I dont want Ascended items in my dungeons either.

Dexson

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I was hoping this would be an acceptable compromise, giving dungeon runners what they want (higher stat gear and gated content) and giving the rest of the population what they want (GW1 style gameplay, throwing the WoW gear grind out the window. They don’t have to deal with the extra stats affecting their gameplay).

It seems neither side is overly happy this particular compromise… or perhaps neither side wants a compromise at all. =D

Ah well.

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

Rare guild back
*20 pwr
*14 prec
*1% crit dmg

(from gem)
*25 pwr
*15 prec
*3% crit dmg

no infusion slot

Ascended quiver
24 pwr
17 prec
1% crit dmg

32 pwr
18 prec
4% crit dmg

offensive infusion slot

You can get 250 ancient bone for like, 6 -7 gold I believe, which means the Ascended backpiece is now a crap load cheaper than if you went for Koss on Koss, which cost something like 30 gold just for the Vicious Fangs, the ectos will remain the only cost prohibitive component.

There’s an equivalent backpiece that is like Koss on Koss but its the same stats as the quiver that uses ancient bone.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tome_of_the_Rubicon – this one

I was saying in my post that its more cost efficient to just get the quiver/book that requires ancient bone since ancient bone are more plentiful and cheaper, but most players must think that the only good stat combination is power, precision and crit damage. That’s not necessarily true. Yeah pure power or precision is great for a pure glass cannon build, but good luck having any survivability. I’d rather have some balance in my gear, so the ancient bone quiver/book is perfect and won’t cost 62 gold if I decide to get an ascended back piece.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!