Lion's Arch

Lion's Arch

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

The new Lion’s Arch is pretty, and for the most part I like it better than the original.

However, the name now doesn’t match the theme at all, which I find to be a little bothersome. Are there any plans to at least bring the Lion fountain back?

Lion's Arch

Posted by: Vephar.8475

Vephar.8475

What is with all the lion references in this game anyway? I’ve never seen a lion in the game. :s

Lion's Arch

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

What is with all the lion references in this game anyway? I’ve never seen a lion in the game. :s

Lions Arch was the city’s name for over 250 years. You would not have seen a lion in GW2 (yet) as lions are mostly found in Elona south of the crystal desert. If you go to the ruins of Old Lions Arch that was flooded when Orr resurfaced, you’ll find plenty of lion status. Many city’s look different to when they where first named. The same way as most of the maps where renamed too. Only one I can think of right now that is the same is Loners pass, but then its swallowed dreadnoughts drift and part of snake dance too.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Lion's Arch

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As Belial notes, cities can grow past their names. New York isn’t that new any more, nor does anyone really pay attention to its vague connection to York, England. Are there angel statues all over Los Angeles?

That said, I’m surprised the rebuilders of LA didn’t do anything really iconic. On the other hand they were Consortium and possibly didn’t care a fig about the city’s history so long as they could turn it into a tourist trap.

Lion's Arch

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s called Lion’s Arch because it was originally established as a colony of Elona and was their ‘gateway’ into Tyria. (There are lions in Elona, or at least there were in GW1.)

But it only stayed that way for 58 years before Kryta became an independent nation and the name became inaccurate, but stuck around. In game time that was 971 years ago.

I do agree it would be nice to have some of the lion statues back, but I do also think it’s more realistic for the name and appearance of the city to develop independently over time.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Lion's Arch

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Thanks for the interesting insights!

Lion's Arch

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

But if we don’t have a lion statue anymore, what will get destroyed now?

That statue served as an important safety measure / lightning rod, and it’s foolhardy not to rebuild it. You mark my words!

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Lion's Arch

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

We do have a lion statue, head down to Fort Mariner and look in from the north entrance.

Lion's Arch

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

That statue served as an important safety measure / lightning rod, and it’s foolhardy not to rebuild it. You mark my words!

Hopefully the entire place. I really loved the original Lion’s Arch because it had that Caribbean 16th century pirate theme going on. Now that it lacks character, substance, culture, and is way sterile I don’t like it anymore. At least Divinity’s Reach and Rata Sum maintain a special character to them. You have some nice plants and color in Rata Sum at least so there’s no reason to chill in Lion’s Arch over it.

Lion's Arch

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Hopefully the entire place. I really loved the original Lion’s Arch because it had that Caribbean 16th century pirate theme going on. Now that it lacks character, substance, culture, and is way sterile I don’t like it anymore. At least Divinity’s Reach and Rata Sum maintain a special character to them. You have some nice plants and color in Rata Sum at least so there’s no reason to chill in Lion’s Arch over it.

If you move away from the centre of Lion’s Arch I think it has a lot of character.

The area around the bank and TP is pretty bland, it feels more like a theme park with novelty buildings made of concrete than a real city to me. But the buildings and the little winding streets around the waterfront, Commodore’s Quarter and Western Ward look very authentic to me. It reminds me of European seaside towns, not any one in particular but more like a fantasy mash-up of a lot of different ones. (And yes I have seen them in real life, I lived in one for 3 years.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Lion's Arch

Posted by: Vephar.8475

Vephar.8475

Lions Arch was the city’s name for over 250 years. You would not have seen a lion in GW2 (yet) as lions are mostly found in Elona south of the crystal desert. If you go to the ruins of Old Lions Arch that was flooded when Orr resurfaced, you’ll find plenty of lion status. Many city’s look different to when they where first named. The same way as most of the maps where renamed too. Only one I can think of right now that is the same is Loners pass, but then its swallowed dreadnoughts drift and part of snake dance too.

Thank you Historian Belial! I never played the original guild wars game.