Lion's Arch Poll Discussion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/lions-arch-construction-nears-completion-new-player-poll-announced/

I’m trying to answer the poll but I’m missing crucial things. Like … what would Festival Plaza look like if I voted for that instead of bringing back the lion fountain? Where will the Aerodrome be? “Apex” only works if it’s at a high point of the city. What will the memorial look like? If it’s a field, then Field of the Fallen works, but if it’s a pylon or wall, that doesn’t. Plus I’d prefer something like “The Forever Stone” over the “Forever Memorial” as the latter doesn’t flow so well.

Aieeee. Uninformed voting is a Bad Thing!

Posted by: Avador.8934

Avador.8934

It’s just the names

I am lazy to write it over and over. So sorry for my English.

Donari.5237

Yes, but names need to make sense for what you’re looking at. And they do say they will get rid of the Lion Fountain if people vote for something new there.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/lions-arch-construction-nears-completion-new-player-poll-announced/

I’m trying to answer the poll but I’m missing crucial things. Like … what would Festival Plaza look like if I voted for that instead of bringing back the lion fountain? Where will the Aerodrome be? “Apex” only works if it’s at a high point of the city. What will the memorial look like? If it’s a field, then Field of the Fallen works, but if it’s a pylon or wall, that doesn’t. Plus I’d prefer something like “The Forever Stone” over the “Forever Memorial” as the latter doesn’t flow so well.

Aieeee. Uninformed voting is a Bad Thing!

Just names, not visuals. Whether or not the lions statue returns the question is do you want to keep the name the same, or change it to reference that it is the focal point of most festivals in LA.

My problem with Apex Aerodrome is that it doesn’t flow well. Apex bring in a full stop, while Martial sounds better.

I passed on Field of the Fallen because it sounds too Charr and it needs to be universal. I have no idea who Theo Ashford is, nor why I care, so that doesn’t work either.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

It would be nice to have a visual upon which to base a name choice, but it wasnt a big deal to me. I just voted for whatever flowed best to me.

Donari.5237

Ok, yes, I can see it that way now that you say it. It’s honoring the statue or not, not choosing if it stays gone or not.

Posted by: Apolus.3157

Apolus.3157

I think Lion’s Arch Aerodrome is better. Simple and clean.

Theo Ashford is the pirate captain from the council who was assassinated in the aetherblade attack during dragon bash, Scarlet wanted to put someone infiltrated in his place but we killed the impostor and got Ellen Kiel instead.

Posted by: Sealreth.1425

Sealreth.1425

Theo Ashford was the previous head captain, before ellen kiel I think, he was assassinated during dragon bash. (basically how it all started :P)

Sethy Alre [Main: Thief, 19 Characters] -
[TSP] The Shadow Phantoms – Guild master
Gunnar’s Hold

Kal Spiro.9745

Theo Ashford is the pirate captain from the council who was assassinated in the aetherblade attack during dragon bash, Scarlet wanted to put someone infiltrated in his place but we killed the impostor and got Ellen Kiel instead.

Yeah, I super didn’t care about that guy. And while you could sort of almost claim he was the first casualty in LA, he had nothing at all to do with the Battle and the destruction of LA.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Apolus.3157

Can someone who has not taken the survey yet copy the part about the statue. I believe it says it will only come back if you choose the first option.

Posted by: Underdark.3726

Underdark.3726

I just hope people won’t vote for King Doric. Lion’s Arch is a free city and should have nothing to do with a human king.
The only positive thing about it would be seeing Evon kittened :p

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I just hope people won’t vote for King Doric. Lion’s Arch is a free city and should have nothing to do with a human king.
The only positive thing about it would be seeing Evon kittened :p

Your intent to screw Evon disturbs me.
Really, Evon is just like Counselor Yomm…if people would just give him a chance.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Considering how much work was spent on the art of the lion fountain they should definitely bring it back. It is probably one of the most complex assets you can find in GW2.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

The problem with this survey is you have tons of people who are ignorant of GW 1 and 2 lore as a whole and voting for stupid names!

As a supporter of Cantha, and have 4 Canthans on my account (3 female and 1 male), I voted for Phoenix’s Roost for the Lighthouse’s new name. Though Grady’s W/E it was would make more sense for the Scarlet’s Attack on LA that happened previously.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I really wish we were voting on names that had pictures to accompany the choices. Like, assets were present in the pics to give an idea of the aesthetic. This is like when people post mods for Skyrim or Oblivion but offer no pics to see what you are downloading. I am sure the town you created outside Whiterun is awesome, but I’d like to see the architecture choices. “Aerodrome” screams Aetherblade or Zephyrite to me which I don’t think flows with LA at all. If I am wrong, well at least you can see where my confusion could be justified. If nothing has been decided on yet, then maybe wait until assets are in place to go with the naming conventions so we can see what we are voting on.

I love the idea with voting. It’s great you are giving us agency, but as it stands now it’s like being on that old game show with Monte Hall where we are given mystery choices behind door 1, 2, or 3.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Anubis.7058

Anubis.7058

Terrible gruff charr voice:
I SAY THEE NAY, Lions arch is a proud city that fought and won for its right to exist, why should the people lose their right for a true voice under the limited sight of a petty mouse, we need a reconstruction and system based on progress! WE NEED A TRUE VISIONARY! But who has in such dark times helped the poor and helpless like Hero-Tron to hold a important role, who has stimulated the economy and kept both food on the tables and money in the pockets of the citizens, who has under such zeal overseen the progress made that they almost appear to be at two places at once? Who was a man or shall i say soldier or such principles? Truly we must find someone who has ACTED not just SPOKEN of such heroism and not let that honor fade!
SO TODAY, LETS DISCARD THE FOOLISH OPTIONS AND THUS VOTE FOR TRUTH, JUSTICE, LIBERTY, DEMOCRACY AND THE Americ- TYRIAN WAY! VOTE FOR CAPTAIN EVON GNASHBLADE AND THE CITY OF DREAMS!*

*This speech, vote and opinion has in no way been bought for 500g passed onto the user via a lionguard officer, dont listen to any rumors stating otherwise. Disclaimer, because of changes in policy of ethics in in-game journalism, this is a paid promotion deal sponsored by the Black Lion Trading Company & Co.

Attachments:

Kal Spiro.9745

I really wish we were voting on names that had pictures to accompany the choices. Like, assets were present in the pics to give an idea of the aesthetic. This is like when people post mods for Skyrim or Oblivion but offer no pics to see what you are downloading. I am sure the town you created outside Whiterun is awesome, but I’d like to see the architecture choices. “Aerodrome” screams Aetherblade or Zephyrite to me which I don’t think flows with LA at all. If I am wrong, well at least you can see where my confusion could be justified. If nothing has been decided on yet, then maybe wait until assets are in place to go with the naming conventions so we can see what we are voting on.

I love the idea with voting. It’s great you are giving us agency, but as it stands now it’s like being on that old game show with Monte Hall where we are given mystery choices behind door 1, 2, or 3.

Except there is only one choice. The aesthetic isn’t changing based on the name. No matter what we choose those places will look the same. It is entirely about what we will be naming them, regardless of how they look.

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

No idea if the names were supposed to be references to people/things because I never heard of any of the names, so I just picked what I thought sounded best.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Regardless, I’m thrilled Lion’s Arch is getting some attention . . . finally.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

Posted by: Aizle Syracuse.9857

Aizle Syracuse.9857

“Phoenix Roost” and “Beacon Point” both provide a unique and tasteful take on the lighthouse, as do may of the names in regards to their respective realms of influence. Admittedly, the “Forever Memorial” seems a tad too… childish, perhaps? I’m not sure, it just makes me chuckle. I would honestly be happy with any Aerodrome variation, though “Lion’s Arch Aerodrome” is definitely more on the generalized side of things, while the other two are more specific to their function. I’m not really sure where I stand on the plaza’s situation either…

In retrospect, I wish I hadn’t already taken the poll. I feel much too ignorant (not to mention indecisive) to’ve properly contributed to anything, and I’m honestly not sure why I decided to do it so soon- or even at all, considering my lack of participation in the Scarlet arc. Eugh. Hopefully players with a bit more sense will be able to override whatever silliness I’ve accidentally promoted. If I could go back and retake it closer to the end of the week, that’d be great, though it probably wouldn’t make that much of a numerical difference even if I could.

Regardless, it is good to know that Lion’s Arch will indeed be reconstructed in the foreseeable future.

Posted by: Dweasel.3950

Dweasel.3950

Why isn’t anything being named after me? I’m the kitten Commander of the Pact! I and my group are the ones who defeated Scarlet! Where’s my recognition from this ungrateful city?

Apolus.3157

Vote to bring the lion statue back!

Posted by: Mr Smith.9173

Mr Smith.9173

Ya know I felt kinda bad after I called for a poll on renaming Dragonhunter (it wasn’t fair and I know you guys are working kitten all these things and I trust that they’ll be great), but I’m glad you put up a poll for the Lion Arch stuff. It’s fun and gets the fans involved so, great choice. I’m looking forward to seeing the new Lions Arch i’m sure it’ll look great and it’ll be a welcome change.

(edited by Mr Smith.9173)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

My Vote Options were:

- Commodore
- Phoenix Roost
- Keep the Lion Spring, its one of the most iconic things of LA with its big Lion Statue
- Lion Arch Aerodrome
- Field of the Fallen

I just wenn woth the options, that either made for me the most sense, sounded somehow special or iconic and just sounded in general like the best fitting option thats simple and clean and also has to do subtle with Lions Arch without forcing lore into someones face most likely unwantedly and unasked.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

Why isn’t anything being named after me? I’m the kitten Commander of the Pact! I and my group are the ones who defeated Scarlet! Where’s my recognition from this ungrateful city?

Huh? Scarlet hit you on the head a bit too often? I am the Commander of the Pact! And I demand recognition. Especially in the face of apparently many people who are clearly delusional and do not know about my sacrifices and achievements.

So much left that I wanted to see…

Posted by: Roguedemonhunter.9621

Roguedemonhunter.9621

I agree. There should be something for the player character.

How about a prominent street name? In one of the outlying communities of my home city is a small seaside township. One of their streets is called “Captain’s Walk”.

Which one has to admit… is pretty darn charming.

So how about a

“Commander’s Walk” somewhere?

• Hang on. If your making a ‘bridge-way’ to Claw Island… Ooo yes…. That would be an awesome spot. If not… anywhere then.

(edited by Roguedemonhunter.9621)

Posted by: MrDaaark.2604

MrDaaark.2604

Can I do a write in vote to call the plaza “Mane Plaza”? Let’s get punny.

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

I agree. There should be something for the player character.

How about a prominent street name? In one of the outlying communities of my home city is a small seaside township. One of their streets is called “Captain’s Walk”.

Which one has to admit… is pretty darn charming.

So how about a

“Commander’s Walk” somewhere?

• Hang on. If your making a ‘bridge-way’ to Claw Island… Ooo yes…. That would be an awesome spot. If not… anywhere then.

I dont think it would be feasible to make a bridge from LA to Claw Island, where would you have it go without blocking all ship traffic in and out of LA?

Though i do like the ideas of a Commander’s walk somewhere or something like that

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

It would be neat to have access to claw island whenever you wanted!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

On a side note, if you go to certain vistas, you’ll get the panorama of the construction. Also, only the drill remains in the water. Scarlet’s platform is gone . . . thank God.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

I went with Martial Aerodrome on the hope that there would be future Aerodromes added and it would make sense for the main civilian Aerodrome to be the “Lion’s Arch Aerodrome”.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

… Impossible to write long posts on this forum, the timeout function means that it all gets erased, doesn’t get posted, and since the back button doesn’t work it means that all your work is lost. Hate this forum so much.

I’m against naming things for individuals – every city in the US has a street named after Martin Luther King and/or Jr., my city actually had 2 at the same time at some point in history.

Lion’s Forum or Central Plaza.

Lion’s Pride for the lighthouse – or Karka Point since karka was the destroyer of it. NEVER FORGET!!

As for the fountain, I think it needs to be much more grand than that little puddle with a giant lion sitting in it. I think maybe 4 giant lions, one in each of the 4 cardinal directions facing inward shooting water into a water fountain in the center that takes the 4 waters in at the top and does interesting things with it on the way down through the central water fountain. Remember, this world has magic, I’m sure the Asura can hook us up with something grand.

As for the air field, for some reason Aerodrome sounds a little kitten to me, dunno why. Anyway, none of those names work for me and I can’t think of any useful ones at the moment.

The location of the current ‘field of the fallen’ isn’t a field, it’s a large pathway between two arching rock faces – more of a hallway – so I think something a little less demeaning to the innocents who were lost in the calamity is in order for a name. Hall of Heroes, Hall of Memories, Hall of Remembrance.

Posted by: bastien.7961

bastien.7961

I voted for neutral (read: non-personal) names. Lion’s Arch is a gathering place for all people, regardless of race and homeland, so I find individualized tributes to be a bit tacky.

For instance, despite its history, LA is no longer just a human settlement, so naming a major area after King Doric—a human king—seems a bit jingoistic. So for that reason I voted for Commodore’s Quarter, as it’s merely a reference to the hierarchy of Lion’s Arch itself.

Likewise, I voted to name the memorial Field of the Fallen, as naming a memorial to many fallen people after one individual is kind of rude. No one individual should be elevated above the rest.

I voted for Beacon Point, as the lighthouse was exactly that: a beacon, both literally and metaphorically. Naming the replacement of the iconic Lion’s Arch lighthouse “Graidy’s Lighthouse” would be like naming the Statue of Liberty “Graidy’s Statue of Liberty”. It wasn’t any one single person’s lighthouse and it wasn’t just a beacon of strength for one single person, it was a symbol to all who come to Lion’s Arch.

And I voted to keep the Lion fountain because of course I did! You’d have to be crazy to want to get rid of it!

Posted by: Ellewind.9640

Ellewind.9640

4. After Scarlet’s attack on our beloved city, the council installed additional ground and air defenses to improve security. Lion’s Arch now also hosts its very own air base. What should we call it?

Warbirds Nest

or

Lions Dent

Just saying

BTW, have you see that lion in the concept art? who need the puny little statue, lions arch its about get the most dam bigger lion wall in tyria history! Maybe we can go on top of that wall and glide down, by the gods!!

Posted by: Ent.1026

Ent.1026

Lighthouse should be named Phoenix Point.

Phoenix Roost + Beacon Point= Phoenix Point. so much cooler, yet so much less… roosty.

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

I voted for Graidy’s Lighthouse. After Priest Graidy gave his life using the lighthouse to warn away ships during Scarlet’s attack, I figure he deserves some special recognition.

Kal Spiro.9745

It looks like the Aerodrome is being put in on top of the mountain area overlooking Fort Mariner.

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

They are trying to distract you from the imminent Karka attack!

https://imgur.com/a/3pe7C

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

what the?…

NSPride <3

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

what the?…

It’s a conspiracy I tells ya.

The consortium are building these structures in Southsun, and will be flown in infested with the things, I swear! >.>

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

One of the most touching tributes I ever read about was that of the memorial made to the Swiss Guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French Revolution.

Fallen Lions would be befitting for a memorial in this instance as well.

For the lighthouse: Glints point.
Glint sacrificed much by siding against the other dragons.

(edited by Kamara.4187)

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Don’t care much about lore. I went with what sounded cooler.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

what the?…

The consortium are building these structures in Southsun, and will be flown in infested with the things, I swear! >.>

The moment I found one of the Consortium Surveyor’s I knew that LA was screwed again…

Evon needs to get his stuff in order or the Black Lion will be taken over by the Consortium and karkafied!

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Terrible gruff charr voice:
I SAY THEE NAY, Lions arch is a proud city that fought and won for its right to exist, why should the people lose their right for a true voice under the limited sight of a petty mouse, we need a reconstruction and system based on progress! WE NEED A TRUE VISIONARY! But who has in such dark times helped the poor and helpless like Hero-Tron to hold a important role, who has stimulated the economy and kept both food on the tables and money in the pockets of the citizens, who has under such zeal overseen the progress made that they almost appear to be at two places at once? Who was a man or shall i say soldier or such principles? Truly we must find someone who has ACTED not just SPOKEN of such heroism and not let that honor fade!
SO TODAY, LETS DISCARD THE FOOLISH OPTIONS AND THUS VOTE FOR TRUTH, JUSTICE, LIBERTY, DEMOCRACY AND THE Americ- TYRIAN WAY! VOTE FOR CAPTAIN EVON GNASHBLADE AND THE CITY OF DREAMS!*

*This speech, vote and opinion has in no way been bought for 500g passed onto the user via a lionguard officer, dont listen to any rumors stating otherwise. Disclaimer, because of changes in policy of ethics in in-game journalism, this is a paid promotion deal sponsored by the Black Lion Trading Company & Co.

Penguin, you get a second account?

Kal Spiro.9745

what the?…

The moment I found one of the Consortium Surveyor’s I knew that LA was screwed again…

Evon needs to get his stuff in order or the Black Lion will be taken over by the Consortium and karkafied!

This is amazing, ridiculous but amazing, and I really wouldn’t put it past anyone involved, including ANet

Posted by: lalamonsta.4237

lalamonsta.4237

The names do not matter to me as much as the Lion Statue question.

I don’t like the name of Festival Plaza that much, but I would love to see a completely new area. It could be really cool.

I don’t really like the lion statue either. It reminds me of those old merry go rounds lol. I think it would look way better if the whole statue was gold/bronze or stone. You know just one material.

(edited by lalamonsta.4237)

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I am wondering if they might be karka that are there to help (if not exactly invited). Consider how many races are allies in some areas of the world but evil in others.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

All part of Scarlett’s final/last ditch plan. Merge Consortium and Karka into a new alliance

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Saveloy.4196

Saveloy.4196

I think people who want to vote for Lion’s Arch Aerodrome need to take a step back and look again. Preferrably looking at the map. The thing will be in Lion’s Arch already and it will likely be placed in one of the wards – why then not name it after the ward instead? City’s name won’t really bring anything interesting to the table.

Apex Aerodrome may not be the best candidate we could come up with, but it sounds like it could serve as something else than military airport. It falls into mind quickly and does make me think it’s some main hub – but maybe that’s just me.