Lionguard Lyns gone - not a fair warning?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Diy.5296

Diy.5296

Other than the patch notes, it was brought when people complained about her 1st removal from the game. If you still have tons of commendations, I’m just wondering, what exactly you were saving them for?

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

ArenaNet tries so hard to communicate with the player base, but they don’t always succeed. (Exhibit A: all the players who were somehow unaware of the end of free server transfers, despite the warning on the forum.) I think the problem is that they expect all players to take advantage of this forum, and they sometimes seem to assume that everybody uses Facebook and Twitter.

I agree that some kind of in-game notice should have been given. I mean, I get mail for “Temple of the Silent Storm Week,” which wasn’t even a minor disruption in my gameplay. If they’re going to remove an exclusive token vendor, there should be some kind of notification for those who “just want to log in and play the game, not follow it on several social media sites and a forum.”

Note that I carefully read all patch notes (though I do tend to skim the profession changes for some classes), and knowing that the update was coming on February 26, I decided not to risk having leftover commendations and traded them all in on February 25. However, I can easily see how someone less attentive would miss all of that. I mean, I have an app on my phone that constantly checks the GW2 Twitter, Facebook, and blog, plus a Dev Tracker RSS. I listen to GuildCast and Tales of Tyria podcasts, too. I work hard (harder than I’d realized before typing this) to stay aware of GW2 developments, and that’s the only way I knew that Lionguard Lyns was leaving— and I wasn’t 100% sure that would happen on February 26.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Posted by: Candlelight.1376

Candlelight.1376

What bothers me the most isn’t that she’s gone nor that I have commendations left that I didn’t spend. What bothers me is that I did read the patch notes but somehow missed this anyway. Still, I understand ArenaNet’s point of view and why they’re probably not bringing her back, but they really could have communicated it better.

Posted by: Kaleston.5671

Kaleston.5671

Yep exactly. I read all patch notes quite carefully and I missed it as well. There are things, that you can do this way… but removing a special vendor and only putting a line in patch notes, to update month ago? I hope someone actually reads this and this message carry over so that it doesn’t happen again.

Posted by: Bloodthirsty.5712

Bloodthirsty.5712

So i was away for almost 2 months now. I came back and i still have over 1k Captain’s Council Commendations. At the time before i left Liongard Lyns was unavailable for a really long period of time. Are you telling me that my Commendations are completely useless now?

Posted by: bcd.4352

bcd.4352

So i was away for almost 2 months now. I came back and i still have over 1k Captain’s Council Commendations. At the time before i left Liongard Lyns was unavailable for a really long period of time. Are you telling me that my Commendations are completely useless now?

Yes!

Posted by: Athena.4682

Athena.4682

Well, despite all the arguments and all, i do hope that anet would consider again bringing Lyns back for a while more. Maybe let her stay a week so that those who didnt get to clear their crates can do so once again. Kind of like a second chance to those who didnt get to do it.

I mean, whats there to lose when you already removed the keys from Lyns? That way you wont have a sudden economy collapse on GW or something.

Posted by: Phatt Dude.7538

Phatt Dude.7538

Ok, I am among those who were outraged to discover Lyns gone, and admit, I tend not to get my info from the forums, primarily because it is not organized like wiki is. My question today is: “Is it over?” I’ve waited patiently while impassioned players, made their case for restoring Lyns, and read all the cynical responses, essentially saying: "really? more people who didnt read the forum??? OMG!!!!

But its all, it seems for naught, because anet folks are no longer weighing in on the issue. So does that mean, its ok to unload remaining CCC’s. Might I add, CCC’s that have a big zero face value.

Perhaps going forward, when Arenanet discovers some other valuable in the game has somehow been used and abused, they could give the soon to be worthless items some value at the merchant at least?

More importantly, it would be nice, if since we are in a fantasy world here, Anet would try to use some wisdom in future, to not allow people who exploit the game to use arenanet’s own hand to get the last laugh on honest players when our riches get marked down to zero.

Just because counterfitters exist in real life does not mean its appropriate for governments to come out and state that as of tomorrow, dollars, or euros, or whatever other cash equivalent has no value.

Perhaps its possible too, to change the icons, of items that are soon to be removed, into say….a little man with a construction hat on. That way, players glancing at their inventories, would know immediately something is up, and go looking for the facts.

I hope you are reading this up there!!

Nicer still would be some sort of central list, that would say, these items will absolutely have no use going forward in the game. This list might include things like: Map Fragment and Mysterious Soggy Bag from the Lost Shore prelude content. Maybe it includes, Mystical Cogs, Stuffing, and Glue??? You might even insert a small shop somewhere in the game for orphaned items in game, with a curator looking to acquire rare items. So that boobs like me might not feel so sad, so often, when we discover some new exploit, has destroyed our in game wealth, which is often created with the days of our lives, the most irreplaceable commodity in the game.

Posted by: bcd.4352

bcd.4352

Ok, I am among those who were outraged to discover Lyns gone, and admit, I tend not to get my info from the forums, primarily because it is not organized like wiki is. My question today is: “Is it over?” I’ve waited patiently while impassioned players, made their case for restoring Lyns, and read all the cynical responses, essentially saying: "really? more people who didnt read the forum??? OMG!!!!

But its all, it seems for naught, because anet folks are no longer weighing in on the issue. So does that mean, its ok to unload remaining CCC’s. Might I add, CCC’s that have a big zero face value.

Perhaps going forward, when Arenanet discovers some other valuable in the game has somehow been used and abused, they could give the soon to be worthless items some value at the merchant at least?

More importantly, it would be nice, if since we are in a fantasy world here, Anet would try to use some wisdom in future, to not allow people who exploit the game to use arenanet’s own hand to get the last laugh on honest players when our riches get marked down to zero.

Just because counterfitters exist in real life does not mean its appropriate for governments to come out and state that as of tomorrow, dollars, or euros, or whatever other cash equivalent has no value.

Perhaps its possible too, to change the icons, of items that are soon to be removed, into say….a little man with a construction hat on. That way, players glancing at their inventories, would know immediately something is up, and go looking for the facts.

I hope you are reading this up there!!

Nicer still would be some sort of central list, that would say, these items will absolutely have no use going forward in the game. This list might include things like: Map Fragment and Mysterious Soggy Bag from the Lost Shore prelude content. Maybe it includes, Mystical Cogs, Stuffing, and Glue??? You might even insert a small shop somewhere in the game for orphaned items in game, with a curator looking to acquire rare items. So that boobs like me might not feel so sad, so often, when we discover some new exploit, has destroyed our in game wealth, which is often created with the days of our lives, the most irreplaceable commodity in the game.

Yeah I know, I was sad when I discovered Lyns gone and my commendations useless.

Other users had vary valid points, in the future, send out in game mail or something to warn players of impending changes.

Or just bring Lyns back in some remote corner so people can trade in their commendations.