Little sad there no Tengu playable race

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: vonbladewing.5973

vonbladewing.5973

I was really hoping for Tengu playable race but I guess I’ll wait Cantha themed expansion.

I know there people out there like me that want new playable races and I know there people that don’t want them. For myself a new race means new lore / culture lore a new character since I don’t like to create more then one character per race and i can finally create my Tangu Thief that I create allot of back story, class build concept on

So yeah Tengu

Captain Commander of a Sky Edge Piracy

Posted by: SrebX.6498

SrebX.6498

I’d like that just as much you pal, believe me, but it ain’t going to happen and people have to stop hyping and talking about this because it creates unrealistic expectations, which result in complaints and salt.

The truth is that they’re struggling as it is when it comes to creating or even fixing content that’s related to the races. They’ve pretty much stopped putting out new armors, the ones we do have clip, Personal story is crap and some races barely have any lore (looking at you norn).
It ain’t going to happen people, let it go

[EG] Ethereal Guardians, Fort Aspenwood
Violette Glory [Warrior]
Bala Rama [Herald]

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

There are workarounds for most issues, but I have to figure if there is a playable race we are going to see some signs in the lead-up. I was already pretty sure after playing LS3 Ep5 that wasn’t going to happen this time.

Maybe next time (like always).

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

vonbladewing.5973

People said mounts was not even to happen then BOOM here they are, even though I don’t care if mounts in the game or out unless they go FFIX route with having a hand full of iconic with appropriate lore mounts that you can change colors paletes, add armor, fight in combat with and breed I’ll be interested in. But if they go hey new content here 10 new random no lore, no customization, no attachments aka " collectors mounts" then I don’t give a care

But back on topic

I will never let it go if I pay money for something then I have the right in a free market country to suggest for a feature.

SrebX.6498

People said mounts was not even to happen then BOOM here they are

That’s hardly any evidence that there’s truth to that and you know it.
They weren’t struggling with mounts. In fact, they just introduced gliding, which means they are not afraid of new movement gimmicky mechanics and are in fact willing to implement them even into core Tyria.
With playable race it’s hardly the case, every indication we have points out towards the negative direction unfortunately.

Violette Glory [Warrior]
Bala Rama [Herald]

vonbladewing.5973

Did you not see the 500pages or something like that of people saying no mounts to game everyone it been requested since the game launched?

Posted by: Garb Cost.3718

Garb Cost.3718

I think the requests for mounts and capes were the first on the GW2 forum. Probably before anyone had got out of the starting zones.

SrebX.6498

That’s hardly any evidence that there’s truth to that and you know it.

Deja vu anyone?

Violette Glory [Warrior]
Bala Rama [Herald]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

People said mounts was not even to happen then BOOM here they are,

It’s a completely different situation. ANet is going to add features with each new expac. They could choose mounts or e.g. dyeable weapons or a variety of things that affect everyone’s game play.

However, a new race uses the same people that would be used on the stories for expac, LS. It requires adjust armor and testing weapons for an entirely new group of designs. It requires 10 new voice actors, and, if done properly, is going to include new zones specific to the race.

Further, while everyone benefits from mounts (even if some don’t find them appealing), not everyone is interested in playing multiple races. It always surprises me just how many people there are who play only humans or avoid one race or another for specific reasons.

In other words, mounts don’t compete directly with existing needs of the game. A new race does, plus it adds to future costs of just about all content.

Now, things can change, so just because the cost:benefit is poor today doesn’t mean that will always be true. However, for the foreseeable future, folks should not be surprised or even a “little sad” that there’s no new race (Tengu or otherwise).

If we keep getting an expac every 2 years, I wouldn’t expect it to hear ANet change their mind about it until after the one that follows PoF.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Fenom.9457

Fenom.9457

If wasted effort is the problem they could charge separately for the new race id buy it

Want to read about a nice mini expansion to make Mordremoth and Zhaitan better?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mini-Expansion-Vengeance/first#post6473305

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Maybe with the next expansion, which hopefully will be Cantha.

Then again, by now Anet has reduced races to mere cosmetics, so it doesn’t make that much of a difference.

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

the reality is the direction the game was going pre launch is now over. Those devs are all gone(or mostly gone). NCsoft is dictating new terms and alot of stuff that wasn’t on the table now is. New races are a possibility, but not this time round obviously. The charr model is close to the Tengu model. Fitting skins isn’t that big of a problem with this race, though it will take work, but hey Mounts happened so can this. I’m sure there’d be a team soley dedicated to this if they decided the time was right. Never say never, they are always creating new lore, i’m sure it will happen eventually.

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I’d like that just as much you pal, believe me, but it ain’t going to happen and people have to stop hyping and talking about this because it creates unrealistic expectations, which result in complaints and salt.

I think it’s the opposite. You have to keep talking about this stuff to express that the desire is there. There’s a difference from suggesting additions be made and demanding additions to be made.

They’ve pretty much stopped putting out new armors, the ones we do have clip, Personal story is crap and some races barely have any lore (looking at you norn).

All the more reason it could and should happen: fewer armors being made = less armor in the future to reform.

Well not with that kind of attitude.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Race would be nice but it is simply cosmetic (racial skills are a joke) and flavour. Compare this to the huge amount of work (adding all armor skins etc.). Maybe next exp. But I still wonder why they haven’t added any new dungeons. Why are they denying them so much? I loved them back them and I know a lot of people who want them. To me dungeons were always a highlight in MMOs…

Also… not any additional new weapon? Hm probably a feature for next exp. I see where this is going

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

(edited by ProtoGunner.4953)

Posted by: Rong.5470

Rong.5470

Have you ever seen any Tengu in Elona? … no? Me neither.

vonbladewing.5973

Have you ever seen any Tengu in Elona? … no? Me neither.

This is why I said Cantha themed Expansion

Posted by: Alneor.3986

Alneor.3986

I agree with the fact we will see Tengus in about 2 years with Cantha.

First there was no reason to see a new race in Elona except a dead body or something like that.
Second, we got the mount for PoF, we will get Tengus for the next expansion. It will be the same level of new gameplay content in my opinion.

Then, we’ve seen more and more players asking for Tengus while the devs were working on PoF. So they had already chosen the way to go and the new content. Now we can hope they take note and choose this way in 2 years !

vonbladewing.5973

Race would be nice but it is simply cosmetic (racial skills are a joke) and flavour.

This statement I disagree on, Let me ask you this let’s say someone came in and changed the look of your top three favorite characters all the way down to what race and sex they are. Would you care or would you shrug it off and say it’s just cosmetic.

For myself I would deeply care as I spent allot of time, thought and work to have my characters look, play and act the way they do. To me my characters are a small part of me or more of my imagination.

If we did not care about what things look like then why do people invest time, work and money in video game with graphics then rather play a mud or a text base RPG, FPS, RTS and so on?

And a new race just not mean a new cosmetics but also new lore, culture, villiens, playable areas, themed armor, areas, view of the world and current story.

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

What’s the fascination about Tengu anyway?

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Yeah, what could possibly be the fascination about mystical artisian bird-people who inhabit one of the most mysterious cities to have ever existed in Tyria.

Oh, and they look cool I guess?

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

vonbladewing.5973

There Samurai like culture that treat there bows as a the Samurai Katana, There architecture resembles India old architecture, There giant bird like race which not many MMOs have not done before to my knowledge…

I would like to see more original none animal or rl pantheon race like the Asura, I thought they was a good take on classic d&d/eq gnomes.

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Yeah, what could possibly be the fascination about mystical artisian bird-people who inhabit one of the most mysterious cities to have ever existed in Tyria.

Oh, and they look cool I guess?

The question was a genuine one, not meant to be sarcastic in any way. I don’t find myself that interested in lore hence my asking.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: dragonkain.3984

dragonkain.3984

The truth is that they’re struggling as it is when it comes to creating or even fixing content that’s related to the races. They’ve pretty much stopped putting out new armors, the ones we do have clip, Personal story is crap and some races barely have any lore (looking at you norn).

So you think giving people less of what they want would prove to be more successful? No, it would create an effect of reducing their interest even further.

Just look at how WoW dealt with their expansion fiasko. They instantly gave players what they wanted for a long time (demon hunters), and guess what, it worked! GW2 however went the stupid way of giving us less of what we want, so I bet their sales wont improve at all after that.

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Like others have said I could see them being in a Cantha expack.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

As for the Tengu, I’m not really sure they will be playable. However, I do think the painted “fog” over their city has somewhat changed since the last time I looked at it. I do think they will play a role at some point and that we get to visit their city.

I fear Cantha might not happen. As far as I know, it was originally planned that you didn’t pick street rat, commoner or noble in the human character creation, but your lineage from Cantha, Elona or Kryta. But the guys at NC Soft didn’t like that and so Arenanet had to scrap it, along with the Canthan district in Divinity’s Reach, which became the great collapse and later the queens pavillion.

We also have to consider all the points in the NPC dialogue that would conflict with the Tengu suddenly becoming a part of the fight against the dragons. For example in the Zhaitan-arc there is this Tengu blacksmith that mentions how his race wouldn’t join the fight against the dragon.
If the Tengu would join in as a playable race, all the story so far has to be sifted for eventual mentions of the Tengu, possibly the same VAs have to be hired to record new dialogue and everything has to be patched into the game.
Either that, or they would need completely new story arcs where they act from the shadows during the fight with zhaitan and mordremoth.
Another option would be: Tengu can’t play all the content so far the same way the other races do. They have to use some kind of asuran device to revisit/play “simulations” of the events as one of the other races.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

As for the Tengu, I’m not really sure they will be playable. However, I do think the painted “fog” over their city has somewhat changed since the last time I looked at it. I do think they will play a role at some point and that we get to visit their city.

I fear Cantha might not happen. As far as I know, it was originally planned that you didn’t pick street rat, commoner or noble in the human character creation, but your lineage from Cantha, Elona or Kryta. But the guys at NC Soft didn’t like that and so Arenanet had to scrap it, along with the Canthan district in Divinity’s Reach, which became the great collapse and later the queens pavillion.

We also have to consider all the points in the NPC dialogue that would conflict with the Tengu suddenly becoming a part of the fight against the dragons. For example in the Zhaitan-arc there is this Tengu blacksmith that mentions how his race wouldn’t join the fight against the dragon.
If the Tengu would join in as a playable race, all the story so far has to be sifted for eventual mentions of the Tengu, possibly the same VAs have to be hired to record new dialogue and everything has to be patched into the game.
Either that, or they would need completely new story arcs where they act from the shadows during the fight with zhaitan and mordremoth.
Another option would be: Tengu can’t play all the content so far the same way the other races do. They have to use some kind of asuran device to revisit/play “simulations” of the events as one of the other races.

Well, the new business model is that going forward, like GW1, each map is a slice of time that is frozen like that forever after release. So, going by this model, if the Tengu were introduced in a future expansion they would not be particpiating retroactively in content, they would just have a unique personal pre-story that would then pick up as they join the fight against the enemy of that expansion.

This means they wouldn’t be the “Pact Commander” for example in open world, they would just be some Tengu adventurer wandering Central Tyria maps.

If they want to go back and play the normal personal story, they could do it by purchasing a package from the gemstore that would allow them to experience the past with their character details filled in using some generic data- but of course, seeing their own character model and name on dialogs. Basically, the PS would be introduced to them the same way LS2 and LS3 are to other races.

Yes, I know this wasn’t done with Revenant, when it should’ve been. Hopefully ArenaNet has learned from that past mistake with the massive holes in the lore that it created to have Revenants fighting against Zhaitan in personal story.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Does want. Can’t has. Sad.

I even have names picked out. Though, that reminds me, here’s to hoping there’s a character slot sale between now and the expansion, so I can register some characters.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Leo G.4501

You should question what the fascination with “fashion wars” is and then you’d get your answer. The more variety in all aspects, the more unique and varied a character you can create.

vonbladewing.5973

Well, the new business model is that going forward, like GW1, each map is a slice of time that is frozen like that forever after release. So, going by this model, if the Tengu were introduced in a future expansion they would not be particpiating retroactively in content, they would just have a unique personal pre-story that would then pick up as they join the fight against the enemy of that expansion.

This means they wouldn’t be the “Pact Commander” for example in open world, they would just be some Tengu adventurer wandering Central Tyria maps.

If they want to go back and play the normal personal story, they could do it by purchasing a package from the gemstore that would allow them to experience the past with their character details filled in using some generic data- but of course, seeing their own character model and name on dialogs. Basically, the PS would be introduced to them the same way LS2 and LS3 are to other races.

Yes, I know this wasn’t done with Revenant, when it should’ve been. Hopefully ArenaNet has learned from that past mistake with the massive holes in the lore that it created to have Revenants fighting against Zhaitan in personal story.

Agreed since A net dropped the “living world” to living story back in the day they can easily add content without stress of running over past story lines and arks… I miss the lw concept it’s what got me interested in the game

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

If people would accept a compromise, they could make Tengu easily. The compromise would be limited functionality with armor skins from the previous expansions and core game. But too many people would complain. The need to make another race work with so many skins is why it’s so difficult to implement.

Leo G.4501

Agreed since A net dropped the “living world” to living story back in the day they can easily add content without stress of running over past story lines and arks… I miss the lw concept it’s what got me interested in the game

My opinion of the living world is, I wouldn’t deny it, but I did miss parts of it. I’m ambivalent toward it but compared to the living story, I appreciate it beyond locking more hero points behind it.

Just think if they locked hero points behind living world. Basically points lost forever into the void…

Leo G.4501

If people would accept a compromise, they could make Tengu easily. The compromise would be limited functionality with armor skins from the previous expansions and core game. But too many people would complain. The need to make another race work with so many skins is why it’s so difficult to implement.

I, personally, wound’t be oppose to locking new races behind Outfits and Cultural Outfits (outfits earnable by their Personal story/Achievements) if it meant I could play a Skritt or a Tengu or a Grawl (not really all, but more “all of the above”).

My personal stance on compromise is “End the war on Armor and bring forth the era of Outfits”. At least then, you have full control over what race gets what, how it looks for each and when it is released. At that point, you can accentuate the features of the race vs trying to fit within an armor set’s functions. It’s battle of “how unique you want to be vs how good you want to look”. This would only start as a “new race issue”, since armor isn’t going to be removed. It’s only the new races that would be limited at the start.

vonbladewing.5973

“End the war on Armor and bring forth the era of Outfits”

Sorry this would be a game breaker for me. If I can’t be the character I want to play, why play an MMOrpg. Know with that said I would not mind if for new races A net did not add the armor from GW2 vanilla or we can have dungeon armor but not anything else from base that would be acceptable

(edited by vonbladewing.5973)