Logic behind making asc. mats more demanded

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Is there any? I did some rough calculations and light ascended armor set costs now around 700 gold.
Also, spiritwood planks are for double the price since Nevermore release…. What a unwise decision to make ascended material part of new legendaries and precursor crafting.

What’s done is done, now remove daily time gate so the prices stabilize at least a little bit.

(yea and it is cheaper to sell ascended mats and buy precursors of the TP. I just did.)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

There is lots of logic behind it because if you think about it, most people don’t need ascended and the cost barrier is a way to get people to rethink and break out of their “new gear, must get” MMO thinking so embedded in gamers from decades of other MMO’s. Plus, I got no problem profiting off of people wanting to get ascended gear, needed or not. It’s actually a great way to get lower level players/newer players some gold as well.

Mortifer.2946

You actually need ascended now. Forgot?

Posted by: Llethander.3972

Llethander.3972

Nah, you don’t NEED ascended gear. Ascended is only a marginal increase in stats over Exotic and, as Anet has stated, will make it raids -easier- to complete within the time limit. It is not a requirement, simply a convenient upgrade as it has always been.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Is there any? I did some rough calculations and light ascended armor set costs now around 700 gold.
Also, spiritwood planks are for double the price since Nevermore release…. What a unwise decision to make ascended material part of new legendaries and precursor crafting.

What’s done is done, now remove daily time gate so the prices stabilize at least a little bit.

(yea and it is cheaper to sell ascended mats and buy precursors of the TP. I just did.)

I think its was part of a bigger reward design decision. Anet wants rewards to be more balanced across all game content, also lower level maps and for lower level characters.
Ascended mats as well as the new gifts of condensed might and magic to forge the new legendaries need plenty of mats that are easier gathered in lower level maps and from lower level characters but are mostly demanded by veteran players, so its a good way to combat wealth disparity in game.
This might be a frustrating situation, if you want to craft a new legendary or ascended gear but for the people that dont (you know, casuals that this game was designed for) its a great system.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Well, the whole expac is mostly about gold and mats sinks. This is just one more of those

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

Nah, you don’t NEED ascended gear. Ascended is only a marginal increase in stats over Exotic and, as Anet has stated, will make it raids -easier- to complete within the time limit. It is not a requirement, simply a convenient upgrade as it has always been.

some of us do indeed play fractals beyond rank 30 , ascended isnt optional

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

They wanted to make leather more demanded. Unfortunately they primarily increased the mats required to make ascended, and thus it’s obviously more costly.

Also raids and the new fractals increased the demand for acended equip considerably, increasing the cost even more. While at the same rate, ascended drops in fractals were nerfed.

It should normalize a bit at least, when the players wanting to raid have all gear they need. Though you should expect another spike when a new raid wing/new fractals are released.

Posted by: Alex Eternity.8195

Alex Eternity.8195

i have to say, i am quite shocked bc of the prices right now. guess i got my reality check, when i was pondering the use of coni warriors – and i researched what was needed to lets say get an ascended viper set. NOW i dont see the lack of condi dps in raids as a coincidence! This will cost you around 1500g for the armor set alone…i just cant…

seems like i will stay zerker, i am glad i dont play condi classes which now are effed bc viper is a straight up better condi stat than anything before and i guess its kind of a gear treadmill. not gear itself but the new prefixes which get more and more stats and are nondebational just better.

While im at it, i find it disturbingly annoying that the new stats are gated behind more and more grind and mats than ealier versions. why cant it be like in the old days, where we buy the recipes at the vendor and be done with it. but now getting a optimal viper/sinister set? farm season 2 living story achievments for 2 weeks to get the trinkets, throw 2000g at the tp, farm meta event maps for the exotic AND asc insignia/insrcription for another 2 weeks. gone are the days where i could try out new builds on a fly with only mats and gold needed…

/rant

Warrior player – through thick and thin…

Posted by: Ehra.5240

Ehra.5240

It is not a requirement, simply a convenient upgrade as it has always been.

Anet is designing the later parts of the raid around the assumption that the players have ascended gear. A designer literally said " Last boss should be full asc." The closest they’ve said to what you’re claiming is when Isaiah clarified that they were “merely” saying that the fights would be so tightly tuned that the improved stats would be necessary, rather than there being any hard-coded requirement (such as how Agony Resistance is a hard coded requirement for fractals).

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

i have to say, i am quite shocked bc of the prices right now. guess i got my reality check, when i was pondering the use of coni warriors – and i researched what was needed to lets say get an ascended viper set. NOW i dont see the lack of condi dps in raids as a coincidence! This will cost you around 1500g for the armor set alone…i just cant…

seems like i will stay zerker, i am glad i dont play condi classes which now are effed bc viper is a straight up better condi stat than anything before and i guess its kind of a gear treadmill. not gear itself but the new prefixes which get more and more stats and are nondebational just better.

While im at it, i find it disturbingly annoying that the new stats are gated behind more and more grind and mats than ealier versions. why cant it be like in the old days, where we buy the recipes at the vendor and be done with it. but now getting a optimal viper/sinister set? farm season 2 living story achievments for 2 weeks to get the trinkets, throw 2000g at the tp, farm meta event maps for the exotic AND asc insignia/insrcription for another 2 weeks. gone are the days where i could try out new builds on a fly with only mats and gold needed…

/rant

Don’t forget that you can reforge ascended equipment.

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

There is lots of logic behind it because if you think about it, most people don’t need ascended and the cost barrier is a way to get people to rethink and break out of their “new gear, must get” MMO thinking so embedded in gamers from decades of other MMO’s. Plus, I got no problem profiting off of people wanting to get ascended gear, needed or not. It’s actually a great way to get lower level players/newer players some gold as well.

The only logic from this system is it encourages people to use real life money → buy gems → convert to gold. That’s the only thing Anet cares anyway. Gem store item is a tiny fraction of income compare to this.

Mortifer.2946

I don’t know if it encourages anyone to buy a little bit of gold for a large sum of real life money, but the only thing it encourages ME to do, is to stop playing. Or at least caring about raids at all… I wanted to get legendary armor so I don’t need to care about changing armors anymore. Now I have to pay several thousands of gold to get all the armors needed for raids, thus legendary armor would be good just for its skin. Not worth the effort IMO.

(edited by Mortifer.2946)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

/rant

if you cant be bothered to farm the 75 fulgurite per piece, you can just craft another stat piece and change the stats with an exotic insignia.

I did that and used old asc weapon/armor boxes that i had left over to get my condi set for my warrior.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Don’t know much about the logic behind it, but the end result is making me wealthier. All the players needing the ascended for raiding etc. are making the prices of raw mats skyrocket. I have 1 full set of ascended on my main and seeing as I play no other class I am all set to sell all my mats to the TP.

If I get another ascended drop I will be happy and of course and find a use for it, although they have been massively nerfed since HoT. Grinding for the mats/gold does not appeal to me in the least even though I have max crafting in everything save scribe.

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

/rant

Don’t forget that you can reforge ascended equipment.

Yep, which costs and also wipes your runes, which quickly becomes both expensive and annoying.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

There’s people sitting on over 100K gold.

They want those people to use that gold.

Because of that, prices and scarcity are set considering those amounts.

Just look at freaking scribe. Right now someone with over 1k gold can easily get as many dye pigments as they want.

Someone with less than 10g will run out in seconds if they try to make more than 3 scribe recipes and buy dyes or pigments off the trading post. And they never freaking drop. You can literally gather every single plant node in the game and get less than 10 pigments of each color.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Mortifer.2946

You get pigments from salvaging cheap dyes….just saying.

Posted by: Sthenith.5196

Sthenith.5196

Well, i would call that a nice try, but it won’t work. Players who have that kind of cash ingame don’t need to spend their cash anymore.
- they already have the gear they want, so no need for mats.
- they already have (multiple) legendaries
- they know how to make cash. and that’s by not spending it without good reason.

People stay rich because they don’t throw it away. And they farm. A lot.

MithranArkanere.8957

You get pigments from salvaging cheap dyes….just saying.

Open your trading post and do a search.

The cheapest brown dye is now over 60 silver.

What people are gathering isn’t compensating the demand. Flax value got stabilized rather fast, there’s a couple of flax farms people can gather daily to get guaranteed flax.

Pigment and dye prices went bananas, there’s no reliable daily way to get dyes (map bonus rewards give very few, laurels are limited), there’s no reliable daily way to get specific pigments. I gathered every node farm recorded to ever drop them, got not even one of them.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

There’s people sitting on over 100K gold.

Because of that, prices and scarcity are set considering those amounts.

Just look at freaking scribe. Right now someone with over 1k gold can easily get as many dye pigments as they want.

Someone with less than 10g will run out in seconds if they try to make more than 3 scribe recipes and buy dyes or pigments off the trading post. And they never freaking drop. You can literally gather every single plant node in the game and get less than 10 pigments of each color.

I don’t think that’s true for a couple reasons:

1) That would be hurting the gameplay of countless players just to get gold sunk from a few rich (cost/benefit would be wonky as hell).

2) People who have stockpiled that kind of gold aren’t likely to be the type to go and blow it on five sets of ascended and full scribe. There is a misconception that rich people spend as easily as they gain, but those who are actually like this don’t stay rich for long. People who stay consistently rich do it because they spend conservatively.

In other words, trying to get gold off a bunch of rich players is as fruitless as it is unnecessary (e.g. because they spend conservatively, most of their gold doesn’t make it into the economy anyway… the exception here would probably be hardcore TP market players and you aren’t going to trick them into spending their money).

No, I think it’s more likely that they are trying to avoid the “material becomes useless and has no market value” thing. Which is basically what they did with leather (they made it worth something again). AFAIK, they didn’t make the other mats more exclusive. It’s just the demand has skyrocketed because so many are wanting ascended gear for raids, mixed with the increase in value of leather.

I don’t know that there’s a simple solution that everyone would be happy with. I mean, look at the Bloodstone situation. They actually made special items that consume things like Bloodstone daily because there is such a glut of it that everyone has way more than they will ever need. If they tweaked most ascended mats even a margin too far in the wrong direction, it would be Bloodstone all over again (as it is, that was already the case with leather, prior to the HoT tweaking).

I’m not sure there’s much middle ground they can do. Because ascended materials and creation is so heavily influenced by demand, droprate of materials that is even a margin away from Bloodstone can still be uber expensive (overall) because of how many people want those materials.

That said, I’m of the opinion that some of the mid-level materials could do with a touch more tweaking in the Bloodstone direction. The issue with them (ex: Linen) is that there is no way to acquire them at the same rate of other materials on a level 80 character. They could mix stuff like Linen into high level mat drops, but then you have the issue of getting less of the high level ones (creating roughly no change overall). It would have to be a “in addition to…” kind of tweak for it to work.

Or words to that effect.

MithranArkanere.8957

Account-wide nodes would work.

Nobody ever complains about ancient wood or orichalcum. It’s limited, you don’t always get it salvaging, but there’s maps that always have 2-3 daily nodes. HoT maps maybe more. If you don’t have the coin, and you don’t get lucky with salvage, you can always go find them and gather. And you get the stuff guaranteed.

For pigments, cloth and leather, since they have no nodes, there could be a new kind of node scattered around the world, found usually at camps of enemy factions.

You go to a grawl encampment, and they have a ‘stack of pelts" node you can use to get some leather and a pigment of that area’s loot tier. You assault a bandit camp, you can use their cloth rack to get some cloth and pigments. Like T6 wood and metal nodes, they’ll be account wide, so they can’t be overfarmed with multiple characters, each map would have just 1-2 of these. So each day you could go to Queensdale raid a bandit camp, pay a visit to a flame legion settlement in ashford, say hello to a few dredge in wayfarer, rummage through some skritt shinnies in metrica and search the premises of a nightmare court village, and end that day with 5 pigments, and 5-20 jute and 5-20 rawhide leather. Not enough to craft anything, but it’s at least something if you don’t have cash, and the next day you do it some more and may actually get anything crafted.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!