Logical Shmogical

Logical Shmogical

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Maybe it’s just me, but when ever I see debates take a turn towards calling out logical fallacies, I just sigh. There are many forum posters that seem to use this as their “go to” for every topic. While the logic of it is fine, the over use of it/misuse of it really bothers me.

Is it just me?

Serenity now~Insanity later

Logical Shmogical

Posted by: QuartzMoped.2370

QuartzMoped.2370

Maybe it’s just me, but when ever I see debates take a turn towards logical fallacies, I just sigh. There are many forum posters that seem to use this as their “go to” for every topic. While the fallacious arguments are fine, the over-use/misuse of them really bothers me.

Is it just me?

Logical Shmogical

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

Logical fallacies are bad, because you’re building your case on a faulty foundation.

Posts that only comment about logical fallacies are bad, because they’re not building a case at all, just taking a poke at someone.

But in the end, if we’ve had ~30 years and can’t get rid of troll/net-cop behavior, I’m pretty sure we’ll never correct the logical fallacy related behavior either. This is particular true in a medium (such as this one) where the actual intent is usually complaint and venting and not debate and growth.

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Logical Shmogical

Posted by: Darque Intent.1674

Darque Intent.1674

Maybe find some “Rose-tinted glasses” and say things like, I remember when we didn’t have to use logic on the internet…

It’s been more than a decade of realative non-sense from the majority (vocal minority), why not start having proper conversations…?

I’ll help. There are 3 roles you can take when talking to someone. Child, Adult and Teacher.
If people are telling you that your logic isn’t correct they would be a ______, while you would take the role of a ______.
If your asking someone for help or advice, you’re taking on the role of a _______, asking an _______ or ________ for advice or information.
If you are talking at an informed level with someone else you are two ______ having a conversation.

This way of thinking falls down when people act like children that think they are better than the teachers, and don’t know how to act like adults. There are rules to logic, but not so much with non-sense.

All hail Emperor Anet, and their new clothes!

(edited by Darque Intent.1674)

Logical Shmogical

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Logical fallacies are bad, because you’re building your case on a faulty foundation.

Posts that only comment about logical fallacies are bad, because they’re not building a case at all, just taking a poke at someone.

But in the end, if we’ve had ~30 years and can’t get rid of troll/net-cop behavior, I’m pretty sure we’ll never correct the logical fallacy related behavior either. This is particular true in a medium (such as this one) where the actual intent is usually complaint and venting and not debate and growth.

I agree. I hope normal communication never falls into such a state.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Logical Shmogical

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I don’t know, I tend to enjoy the occasional full-on Stockholm Syndrome Cognitive Dissonance Fanatic response to clear violations of trust and honesty that we have seen countless times in the history of MMO’s bred from sheer avarice. The defense of these violations need to finally end, however, with the acceptance of the truth without the muddying of the issues players face today by censure and defamation. No design is infallible and no justice won by remaining dissevered. Players would be wiser to refrain from attacking other players when faced with posts about the problems these other players experience. Just because the attacking players have decided that no one could possibly ever have a bad experience in man-made entertainment venues that quite often are abused when fame and fortune amass quickly, does not instantly make these players wrong.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)