Longevity

Longevity

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Guns and Giblets.9308

Guns and Giblets.9308

The enduring elements of any good MMORPG are lacking in GW2. Once you get past the very fun wrapping, you find a game that ages quickly. Here are some of the reasons why:

(1) PvE is shallow.

Most of the content in this game is easy. The content that isn’t easy is difficult by virtue of cheap mechanics rather than intelligent fights.

GW1 had a decent solution when it introduced Hard Mode. Having instanced areas that are significantly more challenging could provide some much needed content. Rewards could be scaled or added as needed from dungeon to dungeon, including titles that demonstrated mastery of the most difficult content in the game.

Of course, if the dungeon content remains insipid, there would be little motivation to play a hard mode.

Something that would make the game more interesting is a complex system of buff/debuff and condition/cleanse. This way support and condition builds would have a real and meaningful role to play in encounters. Such a system could also apply to PvP. As it is, the system is dull because it gives incentive and is designed (intentionally or not) for players to take up dps roles.

Additionally, GW1 had an enjoyable elite-skill capture system. Something like this kept me engaged in the first game for quite sometime. Nothing similar exists in this game.

Finally, atmospherically the game is hobbled by poor story telling. The personal story is a particularly egregious example of this, as it morphed into Traherne’s story. That would have been acceptable (barely) if the story had at least credibly communicated how important and vital his role was. Also, dragons destroying the world is a lowest common denominator fantasy trope. And don’t get me started on Orr.

(2) Build variety is non-existent.

It’s clear that the general skill and abilities in this game were not thought out well, either from a balance or fundamental design perspective. The fact that there is clearly one (occasionally two?) best build for each profession that far outstrips the performance of other builds is evidence of inadequate design.

This is a problem compounded by the shallow PvE. When everything is centered around damage/damage/damage, and “challenging” fights in dungeons reduce to slaying an HP sponge, it’s difficult, if not near-impossible, to design abilities and skills that provide anything meaningful other than different ways of dealing damage.

The trinity just reduces fights to battles over hp bars, but you still need something more interesting to replace it.

(3) Competitive play is shallow.

One of the great draws to PvP in Guild Wars 1 was the ever-changing meta as players moved from one flavor of builds to another. This system was far from perfect, and indeed suffered from some serious flaws, but it did have a degree of customization and strategy that is otherwise completely lacking in Guild Wars 2.

WvW is a trite affair. It’s highly repetitive, and victories in the zones don’t feel significantly attached to the rewards given to the server that captures important territory. Not only are there few compelling reasons to fight in WvW, but the fights that do occur are largely reduced to zerg strategies.

Additionally, the rewards from PvP (and to some extent WvW) are too detached from PvE. It would be beneficial to have better ways to display your commitment to and skill in structured or tournament play.

“A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.” -Jewish Proverb

Longevity

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

Well folks, it is time to quit the game.
He got some strong points here, I have completely changed my mind about this game.

1+1 = potato

Longevity

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

It depends on the person though. I mean, I don’t think the game’s PvE is shallow or anything.

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Longevity

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

This post seems very familiar. Not sure, but I could have sworn I saw it in a closed thread. ?

Longevity

Posted by: Guns and Giblets.9308

Guns and Giblets.9308

This post seems very familiar. Not sure, but I could have sworn I saw it in a closed thread. ?

Yes, I had hoped to have it discussed but the thread was closed for other reasons.

“A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.” -Jewish Proverb

Longevity

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

here is your discussion:

per Colin Johanson:

We’re trying something very unique and different with Gw2, and a lot of it plays back on the original ideas and concepts we had for the game all these years we’re trying to build towards and accomplish. It’s important to us to continue to try new things, looking at ways of evolving and innovating what a live game can be. In many cases, we’re learning right along with you guys how all of this is going to work for a live game, and constantly adjusting as we see the outcomes and find ways to innovate on what a true online world experience can be.

Living World is above all, the attempt to really give the sense the world is constantly changing and evolving. That there is events and content that change the world in the short term (like our current events) and events that can occur or change for the long term, which is what we’re slowly building towards in the future with Living World content.

Living world absolutely does not mean nothing but content that comes in and leaves again a few weeks later, and though so far that’s primarily what you’ve seen, it’s not all we will do in the future. The intent is living world provides us with a story and narrative experience, sort of like your favorite TV show, to constantly update and change the world and provide unique and exciting rewards on a regular basis.

We might have events that occur and came back again with a few modifications in the future. We may have events that occur and then find new homes permanently down the road. We may have bosses from a storyline that continue on forever as guild bounty hunts when a story completes. Living world also allows us the opportunity to upgrade and make parts of our existing game better permanently, a living world narrative could allow us to rebuild and change an existing zone or dungeon, or could destroy one entirely.

Our goal is to get to a point where on a regular basis, the world around you is not only changing in the short term through our normal event system, it’s changing and evolving permanently through our living world releases as well. What you’ve seen so far is primarily some tests and warmup stuff while we in the background organize the company to support this exciting future for our game, the future for living world is filled with endless possibilities.

Enjoy the ride!

May 2nd, 16:49

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Official-explanation-for-temporary-content/first

Additionally:

since you don’t understand the game and wish to re-post a locked thread best go some where ese

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Longevity

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I disagree. I don’t find PVe or competitive play shallow. I’d say that’s an opinion.

Build variety is okay in some professions, not so okay in others. Anet is working on it and will continue to work on it.

The fact is, everything you feel about this game is pretty much your opinion, and other people have other opinions.

And for a game that’s shallow, I’m still playing it 9 months after launch and still happy with it.

Today we did a great guild rush, got by it by the skin of our teeth. We failed our bounty before that. Took us too long to down Mayana. There’s always next week for that.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just what you’re looking for in a game isn’t here..which doesn’t make the game shallow. It just don’t fill your expectations.

Other people have different expectations.

Longevity

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

Almost nine months in and I’m still getting kicked to overflow. I don’t think the game has any problems with longevity.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Longevity

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

I see threads like this on every mmo forum.

Longevity

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

some ppl come and disagree they don’t understand that our problem is that we are not having fun playing the game because of what the OP said.

Longevity

Posted by: r z.7261

r z.7261

Almost nine months in and I’m still getting kicked to overflow. I don’t think the game has any problems with longevity.

Longevity has nothing to do with being kicked to overflow.

Longevity

Posted by: r z.7261

r z.7261

The PvE in GW2 is very shallow and very easy. I can spam 1 while watching TV, not even looking at my screen and not die.

Longevity

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

100% totally agree OP, i barely login these days and its usually to do my daily or the world events because the rest of the game is pointless and has zero rewards systems..

Need to farm/grind for things but oh not allowed, half the classes are toast to play..

Longevity

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

I agree with most of what he said, it seems when they made this game they were thinking something along the lines of…

“lets take the Guild Wars universe, and make it “appeal” to a more casual audience".

I think this resulted in some major problems that the game is experiencing now. The build meta is boring and unexciting. Everything feels really shallow. This game keeps making me think it was designed for casual players and that playing it hardcore is something you weren’t supposed to do. Why do I think this? Remember at release how there was little to nothing to do once you got to the end. The personal story wasn’t challenging at all and there was little to no endgame. So they start introducing time locked content with dailies, guild missions, diminishing returns, etc. It is like they weren’t anticipating so many people would try to play it hardcore and are attempting to slow players down.

Longevity

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I agree with most of what he said, it seems when they made this game they were thinking something along the lines of…

“lets take the Guild Wars universe, and make it “appeal” to a more casual audience".

I think this resulted in some major problems that the game is experiencing now. The build meta is boring and unexciting. Everything feels really shallow. This game keeps making me think it was designed for casual players and that playing it hardcore is something you weren’t supposed to do. Why do I think this? Remember at release how there was little to nothing to do once you got to the end. The personal story wasn’t challenging at all and there was little to no endgame. So they start introducing time locked content with dailies, guild missions, diminishing returns, etc. It is like they weren’t anticipating so many people would try to play it hardcore and are attempting to slow players down.

I don’t believe this can possibly be news for you but yes the game was designed for more casual play hence the huge world, downscaling, business model and anti farming methods.
What completely blows my mind is that some people still don’t seem to realise this.

The game is not shallow- it is very well designed.
It does not lack content or “endgame” it is filled with it from Queensdale to Orr.

What it does not have is a game that magically starts once you hit cap- that forces you to grind levels so that you can get to the top, be the top dog and have the best stats or whatever it is that floats the boat of “hardcore players”

As for shallow- this is actually hilarious because if “hardcore” players were not busy rushing to where ever it is they go, maybe they would actually take a look at the world around them.
Gods I have been playing since the betas and I still see stuff I have never seen before
Don’t get me started on combat- someone wrote a really nice guide at some stage- go read it

Gunnar’s Hold

Longevity

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

I don’t believe this can possibly be news for you but yes the game was designed for more casual play hence the huge world, downscaling, business model and anti farming methods.
What completely blows my mind is that some people still don’t seem to realise this.

It does not lack content or “endgame” it is filled with it from Queensdale to Orr.

What it does not have is a game that magically starts once you hit cap- that forces you to grind levels so that you can get to the top, be the top dog and have the best stats or whatever it is that floats the boat of “hardcore players”

As for shallow- this is actually hilarious because if “hardcore” players were not busy rushing to where ever it is they go, maybe they would actually take a look at the world around them.
Gods I have been playing since the betas and I still see stuff I have never seen before
Don’t get me started on combat- someone wrote a really nice guide at some stage- go read it

Yes and as we can tell all this endgame content is working, right? It is not like half the zones have little to no people in them. Most population is in WvW, farming in cursed shore, or LA. Oh, the good ol hardcore players rush too much? Yeah that is a good argument, it worked amazingly well for star wars the old republic. You can get snotty and upset if you want, but there’s plenty of evidence in game to find that this game is pretty shallow in a lot. Don’t get me wrong, I got my moneys worth with this game. However, in the aspect of an MMORPG it starts out good, then once you get to the end game there’s nothing really to do. DE need to reward players more once they reach 80 (rares are all fine, but with a TP that has items 50g + and players making 100g+ off of flipping the market or farming CoF, it doesn’t suffice in the economy). DE need to effect the world more instead of just uncontesting a waypoint, like promised. Fractals need to be reworked to not seem so much like a treadmil. Honestly, doing fractals to get ascended gear to do more fractals…really?

I’m done ranting and I wont argue with you any further, just saying I’ve seen your argument a thousand times. I saw it with swtor, APB, and the secret world, and those all were considered quite poor, resorting to f2p and cash shops to try to recover their players (which worked for the most part).

Longevity

Morrigan.2809

Yes and as we can tell all this endgame content is working, right? It is not like half the zones have little to no people in them. Most population is in WvW, farming in cursed shore, or LA. Oh, the good ol hardcore players rush too much? Yeah that is a good argument, it worked amazingly well for star wars the old republic. You can get snotty and upset if you want, but there’s plenty of evidence in game to find that this game is pretty shallow in a lot. Don’t get me wrong, I got my moneys worth with this game. However, in the aspect of an MMORPG it starts out good, then once you get to the end game there’s nothing really to do. DE need to reward players more once they reach 80 (rares are all fine, but with a TP that has items 50g + and players making 100g+ off of flipping the market or farming CoF, it doesn’t suffice in the economy). DE need to effect the world more instead of just uncontesting a waypoint, like promised. Fractals need to be reworked to not seem so much like a treadmil. Honestly, doing fractals to get ascended gear to do more fractals…really?

I’m done ranting and I wont argue with you any further, just saying I’ve seen your argument a thousand times. I saw it with swtor, APB, and the secret world, and those all were considered quite poor, resorting to f2p and cash shops to try to recover their players (which worked for the most part).

Yes I was snotty and sarcastic and for that I apologise.
I do not agree with you at all however.
I will just say that my main has been 80 since Sept and I have no problem finding stuff to do, or the people to do it with.

Gunnar’s Hold

Longevity

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

Look, not coming here to defend the game, but you don’t realize that Arenanet’s business model revolves around fresh updates every month, bring the old and new players alike back to the game.

There will always be new turnover of players, I don’t care if Bob the mighty stopped playing, since he will be replaced by Joe the invincible whom will be replaced by Mike the Warrior.

And I promise you, I PROMISE, that you and all the complainers will buy any new expansion that will come out as soon as it does.
Why?

• Because you love to complain
  • Because you love venting
  • Because you think you deserve more
    But you won’t admit that you won’t be able to stop playing this game every time a new interesting content will come out. And this is how Arenanet will keep this game alive, because you won’t quit, not 100%, not ever.
1+1 = potato

Longevity

Vayne.8563

And there are some people who are playing since launch who are still having fun. That core population will probably remain also.

Longevity

Uruz Six.6594

Longevity has nothing to do with being kicked to overflow.

It does when you factor in that its almost nine months into the game’s life. We’re over the hump.

Longevity

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Yes I was snotty and sarcastic and for that I apologise.

Off topic: Never apologize for expressing your views and by being yourself. Snotty or not, that’s your right. Honestly, I didn’t find any issue with your post.

And I promise you, I PROMISE, that you and all the complainers will buy any new expansion that will come out as soon as it does.
Why?

But you won’t admit that you won’t be able to stop playing this game every time a new interesting content will come out. And this is how Arenanet will keep this game alive, because you won’t quit, not 100%, not ever.

I ‘lol’ed to the point of tears at this. QFT, hun, QFT!

(1) PvE is shallow.

I disagree that all of PvE is shallow. Yes, the main story could use some work. It wasn’t as in depth or as immersive as it could have been. However, the little side stories and subplots you can find around the world, and even the living story elements do have depth. The living story especially, I can’t wait to see where they go with it, as there are so many paths it COULD take. Finding the addition of true cinematics in the living story was really nice. Were they the best cinematics they’ve ever done? No. Overly long? No. But they are a step in the right direction, and I can’t wait to see more of it.

(2) Build variety is non-existent.

Yes and no. We don’t have the billions of options we had in GW1, but then again, in GW1 only a few were ever truly used. They have simply scaled that down, and as with all games some people will prefer 1 or 2 over others, but that really doesn’t make them right or wrong, or the others less viable. It’s like people saying d/d ele is no longer viable because of the mistform change. There’s a whole kitten thread of people that disagree. Admittedly, I have not leveled all of the professions to 80, nor do I spend hours and hours in pvp, but from what I have played, I don’t generally find one weapon set / skill set being glaring better than another. There are some skills that need individual tweaking, but that’s pretty typical of games in general.

(3) Competitive play is shallow.

I can’t really speak to this one as I don’t dedicate my time to it. All I can say is that the time I have spent in hot joins, and WvW has been enjoyable for the most part, and seems to be for those I know ( as well as a lot of people on here).

All in all, it seems like there are just as many that like things as they are, as there are that feel as you do, to some extent anyway. Am I saying there are no issues? Not at all. I’m simply saying that I don’t think they’re as bad as you seem to think they are.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Longevity

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

The WvW in this game is fun, kinda like a sideshow realm war from DAoC. Very fun to me.

The PvE is awful though, this I will agree with 100%.

Never, even when going from quest hub to quest hub in “those” games, have I been as bored in PvE.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Longevity

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I dont thinkPVE is shallow. Some of the best PVE content and interwoven mini stories with each DE. Very nicely done. I thnk this game has as much longevity as WoW does. Arenanet just needs to stop with the currency grinds.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Longevity

Posted by: Zelthios.5902

Zelthios.5902

Look, not coming here to defend the game, but you don’t realize that Arenanet’s business model revolves around fresh updates every month, bring the old and new players alike back to the game.

There will always be new turnover of players, I don’t care if Bob the mighty stopped playing, since he will be replaced by Joe the invincible whom will be replaced by Mike the Warrior.

Why?

Not really considering by the time the expansion comes out WildStar will be out and if this game doesn’t change by then I guess I’ll be checking that out.

Longevity

Aeonblade.8709

What it really boils down to for me personally is, can they fix the game before ESO, FFXIV, WildStar, Camelot Unchained, etc. come out.

They are quickly running out of time, let’s just say Square did FFXIV right this time, and I’m not even a big FF fan. I want them to succeed, but they will have to start listening to the players at some point.

Longevity

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Not really considering by the time the expansion comes out WildStar will be out and if this game doesn’t change by then I guess I’ll be checking that out.

What it really boils down to for me personally is, can they fix the game before ESO, FFXIV, WildStar, Camelot Unchained, etc. come out.

Playing one does not necessarily mean you won’t also play another. Although, maybe you guys are the one trick pony type. I honestly don’t know.

I do know that there are many that play multiple MMOs at any given time simply because they have a touch of ADD. lol. So, while these other ones may come out, and (may) do well, and some of the GW2 players will try them, it doesn’t necessarily mean that those players are lost to GW2 forever.

Although, who knows, the other ones might launch, and be just as wonky at start up. Lot of unknown factors.

Longevity

Vayne.8563

They are quickly running out of time, let’s just say Square did FFXIV right this time, and I’m not even a big FF fan. I want them to succeed, but they will have to start listening to the players at some point.

It’s not really relevant, since every single one of those games is going to need a period of time before they’re fixed themselves. People think MMOs release in a fixed state, but it’s very rare that that ever happens.

Longevity

Morrigan.2809

I want them to succeed, but they will have to start listening to the players at some point.

The irony, it burns….

Gunnar’s Hold

Longevity

Vayne.8563

I want them to succeed, but they will have to start listening to the players at some point.

The irony, it burns….

Made me laugh out loud. You should see the way the dog just looked at me. lol

Longevity

Aeonblade.8709

It’s not really relevant, since every single one of those games is going to need a period of time before they’re fixed themselves. People think MMOs release in a fixed state, but it’s very rare that that ever happens.

I agree with ya here Vayne, I mean hell, they shut FFXIV down completely and are rereleasing it. But the point is, they learned from their mistakes. I wish other companies would use the trouble they had with that game as a shining example of why you should listen to the players when they tell you something is broken or not ready.

Another example is Rift. That games devs are completely involved in the community all the time. And they have implemented many many things that portions of the community ask for. Really even if it is just another WoW clone, people could take a big leaf from the book of the Rift community, if the players tell them something is broken, they look into it, not 2 months from now, but literally when they find out about it.

Longevity

Aeonblade.8709

The irony, it burns….

I’d suggest buying a nicer Iron, the cheap walmart ones burn me too

Longevity

Vayne.8563

I agree with ya here Vayne, I mean hell, they shut FFXIV down completely and are rereleasing it. But the point is, they learned from their mistakes. I wish other companies would use the trouble they had with that game as a shining example of why you should listen to the players when they tell you something is broken or not ready.

Another example is Rift. That games devs are completely involved in the community all the time. And they have implemented many many things that portions of the community ask for. Really even if it is just another WoW clone, people could take a big leaf from the book of the Rift community, if the players tell them something is broken, they look into it, not 2 months from now, but literally when they find out about it.

See and I ended up disliking Rift immensely, because I felt they didn’t cater to the kind of game I wanted to play. Different strokes, I guess.

Longevity

Aeonblade.8709

See and I ended up disliking Rift immensely, because I felt they didn’t cater to the kind of game I wanted to play. Different strokes, I guess.

Well I’m here and not playing Rift at the moment, but I played for about a year and a half. It had it’s quirks, and is not my favorite game by any means, but the devs listened, even if Rift isn’t for people like us, the community just blew me away.

It’s nothing new or different, it’s just run very effeciently imo, you don’t wait 6 months for basic bug fixes, they patch those once a week as they pop up.

Longevity

Vayne.8563

Well I’m here and not playing Rift at the moment, but I played for about a year and a half. It had it’s quirks, and is not my favorite game by any means, but the devs listened, even if Rift isn’t for people like us, the community just blew me away.

It’s nothing new or different, it’s just run very effeciently imo, you don’t wait 6 months for basic bug fixes, they patch those once a week as they pop up.

I don’t know…Rift had a much smaller, much less ambitious game from the start. I think it was somewhat easier to patch because they didn’t have the same issues that a game like Guild Wars 2 has.

Anyway, when it launched, how many times did they completely change the skills and the skill trees of each profession. You may have seen this as a benefit…I got tired of free respecs. Every time I got a build down I liked, they completely changed everything. Not just one skill….entire trees. Too fast for me to get a real feel for the game.

Sometimes, you can patch too fast. I also remember them bringing things into the game people told them not to that they later had to retract. And let’s not forget their very first world event, which they had to apologize for, because for the most part, they couldn’t pull it off. It made the Karka event seem well run.

Longevity

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I’ve played probably to many games in my life and this game is in my Top 5 but I as well have become a little tired of the game. Its not because the game lacks content or things to do. Its mainly because just like any other game if you play it enough you just start to lose interest. Some times you just need to “take that break” from the game and come back to it when it feels fresh again.

The only problem I am having is trying to pull myself away from this game….

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Longevity

Zelthios.5902

Playing one does not necessarily mean you won’t also play another. Although, maybe you guys are the one trick pony type. I honestly don’t know.

I do know that there are many that play multiple MMOs at any given time simply because they have a touch of ADD. lol. So, while these other ones may come out, and (may) do well, and some of the GW2 players will try them, it doesn’t necessarily mean that those players are lost to GW2 forever.

Although, who knows, the other ones might launch, and be just as wonky at start up. Lot of unknown factors.

Actually it does considering I’ll have more fun playing the other game than this one so I probably won’t come back to this game after that point. I’ve already taken a few months off this game and frankly there isn’t much here to keep me interested right now. All I do right now is WvW

Longevity

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

The OP is mostly right, the game is too easy and is lacking some features that foster longterm interest.

Longevity

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Actually it does considering I’ll have more fun playing the other game than this one so I probably won’t come back to this game after that point. I’ve already taken a few months off this game and frankly there isn’t much here to keep me interested right now. All I do right now is WvW

Which makes you a one trick pony. No biggy.

Some will be like you, some will be like my frienkittenhat plays multiple at once simply because he enjoys them all. How he finds that many hours in a day I have no clue, but he does…

Either way, whatever makes you happy bud

IMO the OP is mostly right, the game is too easy and is lacking some features that foster longterm interest for me.

Fixed (bold)

Longevity

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Ok lets post here then.
1. Most content in new games are easy and this seems to be the new trend. BUT the thing about GW2 there is content that is hard but you must take time to get at it. The truth is there a more of a mix in this game but your coming off as if you have a big ego and most ppl would call things like AC as a true hard and inventive dungeon. So your views are not that of the gaming community just a few ppl truly. Most finds AC as a truly hard dungeon.
The thing is ppl feel that PvE as is has a lot of story its just the type of story you must work out for your own. In GW1 the story was writen out for you it was comply told nothing was hinted at all that much. Story writing has changed a lot over the past 5 years your more likely to get story to hit at something and lets the reader work out how they want to take it. Most tv show are going this way because it lets the reader use there imagination making the story greater. The truth may be that you have a very bad imagination and you need to be told every thing.

2. For as few of skills you can chose from there are still a good number of skill to pick from becuse most of them are more then one use. You can play a lot of skill as aggrsive or def or some type of support all in the same ability. Also a lot of GW2 build is off of gear there is a lot and there going to be a lot of combos for gear. We just got a new set the V/t/p some what of a copy of T/v/p but not a true one this show that we are going to get EVERY combo of existing gear (i am looking forwarded to T/h/p a healing knights gear).
There are a lot of hidden skills that you cant do on command main thing being combo fields and combo finisher adds a lot of new skills that you and other players near you can pull off. As for other PvE skill a major one is environment skills there are ability scared though out the world you play in and even some of them come from players them self. Where in WvW is mostly an environment weapon game bring the “build by player” game to its most.
The truth is your turning a blind eye to a lot of the game and its chose because your unwilling to adapted to a new type of mmorpg and this IS the way mmorpgs are going more simple seeming skills sets that have you playing in a real world like environment.

3. GW1 was a gimmick game you had team comps and build that worked for a time because there needed fixed and ppl used them until the nerf it. The only thing GW1 had over GW2 was that GW1 was far harder to balanced so ppl where able to explored this fact and make build off of this. The simple truth is that if GW1 PvP was a good as ppl say it was then it would of becomes an E-sport. We have old games that are still played today as E-sport but GW1 was never able to get to this point because of it having too many skills.
As for GW2 a lot of what i explaned is in #2 of this post for both pve and pvp even wvw.

It all comes down to your argument that GW2 is not like other mmorpgs so you hate it. THAT THE IDEAL OF GW2 not to be the stander mmorpg that you as a player must adapted to. Even GW1 was a stander mmorpg nearly a WoW clone in it self (not comply but still was closer to WoW like then GW2 will ever be).
If you truly sit there and look at GW1 objectively it has not stand the test of time and it could never so we have GW2 this is a great deal better but it has not been out nearly as long so it will have less.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Longevity

Aeonblade.8709

In a lot of opinions the OP is mostly right, the game is too easy and is lacking some features that foster longterm interest for a lot.

Fixed the fix. See, this snarky passive aggressive stuff goes both ways. Ugh.

Longevity

LanfearShadowflame.3189

In a lot of opinions the OP is mostly right, the game is too easy and is lacking some features that foster longterm interest for a lot.

True, yours works too. However, I simply viewed his post as his personal expression, not him speaking for the masses.

Longevity

Aeonblade.8709

True, yours works too. However, I simply viewed his post as his personal expression, not him speaking for the masses.

Fair enough

Longevity

Posted by: helladoom.4317

helladoom.4317

There are three ways in this business to make a living: be first, be smarter, or cheat.

WoW was first and it has outlived every other mmo (aside from Eve i suppose, but that’s a niche market).
That’s not to say WoW is any good. I have never played it, but i have played several mmo’s that followed the WoW formula (except for the being first part) and then died. But WoW was first (first big mmo) and it is still around.
GW1 looked like it could outsmart WoW but although the servers are still up that game is essentially dead, as are many others who have tried for longevity.
Wrt GW2 it’s to early to tell, but it’s neither first nor smarter than the others.

Longevity

Jski.6180

There are three ways in this business to make a living: be first, be smarter, or cheat.

WoW was first and it has outlived every other mmo (aside from Eve i suppose, but that’s a niche market).
That’s not to say WoW is any good. I have never played it, but i have played several mmo’s that followed the WoW formula (except for the being first part) and then died. But WoW was first (first big mmo) and it is still around.
GW1 looked like it could outsmart WoW but although the servers are still up that game is essentially dead, as are many others who have tried for longevity.
Wrt GW2 it’s to early to tell, but it’s neither first nor smarter than the others.

How is GW2 not smart? You can make claim with out any back up but they mean nothing. I think you can apply your view point to making a post you can be first, be smarter, or cheat and i think by making points with nothing to back them up your choosing cheat.

Btw WoW was not the first lol not by a long shot.

Longevity

Uruz Six.6594

I’m reminded of all the talk about how other games were doomed because of TOR.

When another game comes out that eschews quest logs, need/greed, node claiming, subs, trinity, et al, then maybe, just maybe. But I’m not seeing that game on the horizon just yet.

Longevity

Zelthios.5902

Which makes you a one trick pony. No biggy.

Some will be like you, some will be like my frienkittenhat plays multiple at once simply because he enjoys them all. How he finds that many hours in a day I have no clue, but he does…

Either way, whatever makes you happy bud

IMO the OP is mostly right, the game is too easy and is lacking some features that foster longterm interest for me.

Fixed (bold)

One trick pony? Not really this game is just not delivering the promises it made really and I’m becoming quite bored with its failure. The buffs to orr were not needed first off. The zone was already dead and that killed it.

Longevity

Zelthios.5902

I’m reminded of all the talk about how other games were doomed because of TOR.

When another game comes out that eschews quest logs, need/greed, node claiming, subs, trinity, et al, then maybe, just maybe. But I’m not seeing that game on the horizon just yet.

You’re implying the holy trinity was a bad thing.

Longevity

Uruz Six.6594

I’m stating the trinity is not for everyone.

Longevity

Aeonblade.8709

This is probably true, but like I said in a post a few weeks ago, if you aren’t going to use the trinity, have a viable alternative. Having most of the players stack Berserker gear and hope they kill things before they die is not a replacement for a balanced combat system imo :P

To each their own as you said.

Longevity

Jski.6180

This is probably true, but like I said in a post a few weeks ago, if you aren’t going to use the trinity, have a viable alternative. Having most of the players stack Berserker gear and hope they kill things before they die is not a replacement for a balanced combat system imo :P

To each their own as you said.

Well no if your trying to kill things before you die in a berserker set you will die every time before you can kill any thing. You must fill all roll at any given moment there no more easy mod mob always on the tank a healer to keep you alive and a dps to kill the mob you must help with every thing.