Looking for Options for Handicap

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dimadar.2908

Dimadar.2908

I am trying to find a way to adapt to this game such that I can become functional in groups and PvP. In January, 1991 I was in a tank during the Gulf war that got hit. I lost my right arm, right leg, and have nerve damage on my left side.

The way I have been playing is kinda choppy. I move, stop, attack, move. I cant move and attack at the same time, except when I am auto attacking. This doesn’t work at all in PvP, and gives me trouble for guild events that require a lot of jumping.

This really didn’t bother me much because there is a lot of soloable content. But now I decided to work on legendary weapons and the wings of assention, which requires PvP. I lose about 3 games to 1 win, and I usually get the one win because I land in a very good group in the match system. Unfortunately with the pip loss I am making no headway in earning league tickets to buy what I need.

I am looking for suggestions from others that have handicap issues that might help me improve my game play such that I can become more functional in raids, guild events, and PvP.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

I would suggest get one of those mouse that have keys on the side of it. There for you can bind skills to them for easier casting. Also you could play build like staff ele where there are not much movement involved during combat.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Buy a gaming mouse with lots of side buttons like logitech G600, i bet there is a left handed version too. And just keybind movement and attacks to it also jumping (there is like a little leyboard on the side of the mouse), it will take some time to get use to it but i think you will catch on in no time.

(edited by Oxidia.8103)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Thank you for your service, and condolences on your losses. I hope some of these suggestions enable you to get the most out of your gaming adventures. =)

Good luck.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Razer have made a few left-handed versions of their gaming mice – the ones with 12 buttons on the side (so at least 15 buttons total).

That would probably help a lot because then you could use skills etc. without taking your hand off the mouse, meaning you’d be able to move at the same time.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

On top of the gaming mouse, I’ve heard of USB pedals that could possibly be configured to help with some functions.

Also, with deepest respect, thank you for your service.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb%20pedal

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. This is a situation where ANet needs to allow true macros (more than one action per key press). They are quick to jump on those players using helper software but they forget there are players out there that have various levels of physical difficulties and require it.

I use an older Belkin Nostromo N50 which is used on the left hand. It’s a device designed for thumb and button controls. It’s out of production now but the device was re-marketed in a newer more buttons version by Razer as the Tartarus. I had to get one for someone else with a Mac because the older software doesn’t work. I use a single key binding layout. On the device’s software I bind it to the numeric pad keys 1 to 9 then zero to key 10 on the pad. In game here is my layout:

01 = Walk
02 = Weapon Skill 1
03 = Hero Dialog
04 = Inventory Dialog
05 = Dodge
06 = Autorun
07 = Show/Hide Chat
08 = Look Behind
09 = Map
10 = Jump

I rarely have to go to the keyboard unless I’m chatting. As far as mouse usage I’m not sure what options are out there. Maybe stirrup peddle with down being left mouse and up being right mouse. It could be spring loaded to neutral which is why you would need a strap across the foot to pull it up. A center pivot heel to toe peddle could work to. It depends on your level of control. Mouse movement wise I’m not sure. Maybe you could get with a local maker group to see what they could come up with. If you have a normal desk chair then someone could link sensors to the pivot and rotate movements to shift the mouse around the screen. Sensors could be used to detect your head left to right movements to shift the view. A platform pivot could be put under a Nostromo/Tartarus for left/right view shift.

People in the maker communities are usually looking for unique builds. In the Dallas area there is the Dallas Maker Space.

If you don’t have the full Pact Commander mastery to auto loot you could talk to ANet support to see if they can give you auto loot. That should be part of a basic package for people with handicaps.

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

MMO gaming mouse could solve your problem pretty well, Logitech G600, Razer Naga, Corsair Scimitar or any other with more than 15 keys. Also I used successfuly in past wheel pedals as extra buttons.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

I was looking at the forums to find interesting topics, and came across this one. First off thank you for your service and sacrifice. It is also great that you have not given up you are an inspiration to many.

Yes there are mice with extra keys on it that may help you, but I may have found something way better for your situation. It is a left hand gaming key pad it combines the main keys on a keyboard you use most, along with a thumb style mouse and scroller.

All of the keys are customizable to your program preferences. It would be perfect for your situation. Just look up Left hand gaming keyboard I would put a video of one but it would be like I’m trying to sell them to you lol.

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

Thank you for your service. Very valuable topic and I hope it gets more views. Is it naive of me to suggest voice to keyboard software? It would make playing in TS a bit more challenging but it might fill in some gaps with some specialized mouse suggestions above

Dimadar.2908

I had thought that GW didn’t allow macros. I had gotten a G710 keyboard hoping I could program a run forward with a jump action, but so far I couldn’t. Left handed mice are hard to find. I had bought a G602 mouse about 8 months ago online, but the buttons were too small and they were on the wrong side.

If I could use either mouse or keyboard, without switching between the two, it would help a lot. I’ll look into the mouse thing again and see if I can find one that works left handed. I kinda gave up on that when my G602 came in and couldn’t make it work

Dimadar.2908

and require it.

I use an older Belkin Nostromo N50 which is used on the left hand. It’s a device designed for thumb and button controls. It’s out of production now but the device was re-marketed in a newer more buttons version by Razer as the Tartarus. .

I just looked this up, now this looks like something that might work! But can you program the keys to function with GW2? I have a G710 KB and I couldn’t bind the G keys to any usable functions.

Some of the other problems I have when in combat is window popups. For example, sometimes when I want to turn left, I hit the “d” key, but my left hand can get jerky at times and I hit the “G” and the guild window pops up.
The keys on this look large, which will help to reduce hitting the wrong thing. Ill look into getting one.

Thanks

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

and require it.

I use an older Belkin Nostromo N50 which is used on the left hand. It’s a device designed for thumb and button controls. It’s out of production now but the device was re-marketed in a newer more buttons version by Razer as the Tartarus. .

I just looked this up, now this looks like something that might work! But can you program the keys to function with GW2? I have a G710 KB and I couldn’t bind the G keys to any usable functions.

Some of the other problems I have when in combat is window popups. For example, sometimes when I want to turn left, I hit the “d” key, but my left hand can get jerky at times and I hit the “G” and the guild window pops up.
The keys on this look large, which will help to reduce hitting the wrong thing. Ill look into getting one.

Thanks

I have a similar device (logitech G13), and I simply bind the G keys to normal keyboard functions, which then correspond to ingame keybinds.

As a side note, the G13 has 24 bindable buttons + stick, and can have four quickchange subprofiles, so it can hold all commands you might need

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

and require it.

Thanks

I have a razer orbweaver which is pretty much the same as the nostromo/tartarus and you can completely rebind the keys. For me the best thing about are all the thumb controls (I mapped the F1-F4 keys to the d-pad, for instance) I can definitely recommend it.

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

and require it.

Thanks

You can bind any key you want to the pad. The only problem with the Nostromo is that the product isn’t supported anymore. The software works with Win 7 with some configuring but I haven’t tried it on any later version of Windows. It definitely doesn’t work with the Mac anymore. The Tartartus is a current product and has support. It’s available in Best Buy and various other places. While the newer one has more buttons I like the n50 better because I can grip it in the gap when I get aggressive in game play. I just leave my index finger out to hit the jump/evade buttons. If I wasn’t so rusty at programming I would write a dedicated driver for it to translate my preferred layout without any configuring except in games. I would set the wheel to system volume control which wasn’t done in the software for it.

If you find an old n50 somewhere you want to keep the USB plug accessible because it sometimes has to be unplugged and replugged back in. I don’t know if the n52 or Tartarus has that issue.

Dimadar.2908

In PvP, what is the difference between stronghold and conquest. I lose pips doing both. One of the people who yelled at me for causing them to lose PvP suggested I do conquest only matches since I cant win at pvp at all.