Looking to come back..

Looking to come back..

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Sath.3562

Sath.3562

Hello all,

I played at launch, leveled a thief to 80, and played in WvW for about 2 months. Through that time, I learned that WvW was just a zerg fest, running from door to door. Extremely boring.

I really want this game to be good. The world is great, the game looks beautiful, but I don’t want to reinstall and get instantly bored because it is exactly the same as it was at launch.

Are there any changes that would bring me and others back?
Is WvW any better? Or is it still boring? I used to play DAoC, and it was great fun – GW2 did not feel like DAoC at all unfortunately.

Thank you for any feedback.

Looking to come back..

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Actually, the GW2 economy has slowly declined in quality since about a month ago, people are getting bored and quitting left and right, and the rewards are still the same crap they have been. Anet brought in too much RNG and people got angry, and left. I’m lucky to see one person within 5 hours of playing, unless I go to LA, and then I see 10 people. So, simply, no. There are no changes that would bring anyone back to this game. WvW is also still boring, and Gw2 is just digging itself a grave with more pointless temporary content.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Looking to come back..

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

Actually, the GW2 economy has slowly declined in quality since about a month ago, people are getting bored and quitting left and right, and the rewards are still the same crap they have been. Anet brought in too much RNG and people got angry, and left. I’m lucky to see one person within 5 hours of playing, unless I go to LA, and then I see 10 people. So, simply, no. There are no changes that would bring anyone back to this game. WvW is also still boring, and Gw2 is just digging itself a grave with more pointless temporary content.

You see 10 people in LA, you mean 5 am in Vabbi ?

Ignore this guy.

And WvW is better than ever.

Looking to come back..

Posted by: Guns and Giblets.9308

Guns and Giblets.9308

WvW is still a zerg fest if you roll with the zerg. I tend to roam with some friends, usually a thief and a guardian. We coordinate over voice chat and have a good time.

Don’t expect too much, however. WvW is something to play an hour or two every weekend or so. Research the arrow cart changes, the new WvW rank/ability feature, culling and the new server match up system before installing to help with your decision.

“A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.” -Jewish Proverb

Looking to come back..

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Or guest over to Tarnished Coast server for free and see a thriving community. There have been some changes to WvW, including getting rid of culling completely. There’s also WxP added, a type of experience which allows you to gain certain passive abilities. And traps have been added to WvW, but I don’t know if anyone uses them or not. There are two, one is an anti steath trap and one takes supply away from a foe.

Plenty of people still in WvW, at last in the top tiers. Probably depends on what server you’re on.

Looking to come back..

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Through that time, I learned that WvW was just a zerg fest, running from door to door. Extremely boring.

Your character is a thief, right? Just find some more thieves, or a thief and a mesmer, and go gank people moving around the map in WvW.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Looking to come back..

Guns and Giblets.9308

Tarnished Coast is pretty “meh” community wise. Can’t count the number of times some newbie asks a simple question in Map Chat and the response is derision and incredulity rather than “Oh, hey, let me help you out instead of mock you.”

Looking to come back..

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Ignore this guy.

Funny. Please tell me how WvW is better than ever, when it wasn’t changed in the first place. I think you need to apply some logic here. If he said WvW was bad, and nothing changed, doesn’t that mean it’s still bad? And the 10 people in LA was on a Saturday at around 5:30 pm. That’s the most people I’ve seen in LA since about a month ago. Of course, there are some people that make things out to be better than they actually are, which is what this guy is doing. WvW is almost pointless. I say almost because buffs are given to the entire server for doing well in WvW. Other than that, pointless.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Looking to come back..

Vayne.8563

Tarnished Coast is pretty “meh” community wise. Can’t count the number of times some newbie asks a simple question in Map Chat and the response is derision and incredulity rather than “Oh, hey, let me help you out instead of mock you.”

I’ve had very different experiences here. Of course that can happen on ANY server, but I think Tarnished Coast is as helpful as any server out there. That’s often true of RP servers in games.

Anyway, even if a couple of people publicly say stuff when someone asks a question, you have no idea how many people might have whispered that person good advice.

Looking to come back..

Vayne.8563

Ignore this guy.

Funny. Please tell me how WvW is better than ever, when it wasn’t changed in the first place. I think you need to apply some logic here. If he said WvW was bad, and nothing changed, doesn’t that mean it’s still bad? And the 10 people in LA was on a Saturday at around 5:30 pm. That’s the most people I’ve seen in LA since about a month ago. Of course, there are some people that make things out to be better than they actually are, which is what this guy is doing. WvW is almost pointless. I say almost because buffs are given to the entire server for doing well in WvW. Other than that, pointless.

Not mentioning stuff like the end of culling, which is a major change for a lot of people, completely ignores the question the OP was asking.

Looking to come back..

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Daoc vet here too.

I’ve just been getting into WvW recently. I’d been ignoring it since I didn’t think it would be much like RvR. Its better than I thought it would be but doesn’t have the open Frontier RvR feel, more like the battlegrounds. If you liked running around in them then you still may enjoy WvW.

I doubt if you’ll find anything to match Daoc RvR so maybe consign that to the Fond Memory Vault and give this another try.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Looking to come back..

Guns and Giblets.9308

Anyway, even if a couple of people publicly say stuff when someone asks a question, you have no idea how many people might have whispered that person good advice.

I was referencing my own experiences as well as others I know, not just public responses to strangers—which is bad enough already.

Looking to come back..

Vayne.8563

I was referencing my own experiences as well as others I know, not just public responses to strangers—which is bad enough already.

Well in that case my experience still differs vastly from yours. Not much else I can say about that.

Looking to come back..

Posted by: Sath.3562

Sath.3562

It is really unfortunate that WvW has not changed all that much. The Culling fix does sound good – but that still doesn’t change some of the other problems, such as zerging.

Looking to come back..

Vayne.8563

Zerging is still one option. I often roam with a small group and no zerg (though sometimes we’ll join a zerg for short periods of time or to help take a tower or something, before we move onto the next thing).

I prefer the small group, taking out camps and dolyaks and other small groups of roamers to running with a zerg.

Of course you have to be watchful of running into zergs. We tend to scatter and regroup as soon as we see one, but it can be pretty exciting.

Looking to come back..

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

Some improvements have been made to WvW. Some things have gotten worse. Some things are just a matter of opinion.

But, Zergs are just as important as ever. You CAN do small group stuff, Ive seen plenty of small groups running around. But the majority of people find themselves running in zergs.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Looking to come back..

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Hello all,

I played at launch, leveled a thief to 80, and played in WvW for about 2 months. Through that time, I learned that WvW was just a zerg fest, running from door to door. Extremely boring.

I really want this game to be good. The world is great, the game looks beautiful, but I don’t want to reinstall and get instantly bored because it is exactly the same as it was at launch.

Are there any changes that would bring me and others back?
Is WvW any better? Or is it still boring? I used to play DAoC, and it was great fun – GW2 did not feel like DAoC at all unfortunately.

wvw is hardly boring. Well maybe boring if the matchups are drastically skewed. But that’s to be expected with the new matching system. Hopefully it’ll balance out soon enough.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Looking to come back..

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I originally found WvW to be boring and I still do. The only noticeable difference is the removal of culling.

Looking to come back..

Posted by: Resonance.4216

Resonance.4216

Current event, run around in Lion’s Arch pressing F.

Then go outside and kill 300 mobs.

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?

Elementalist of Oceanix [OCX]
http://www.oceanix.com.au

Looking to come back..

Vayne.8563

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?

I’m having fun with dragon ball and with my new helm.

Wish you were here.

Looking to come back..

Fernling.1729

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?

Wish you were here.

Does having a cosmetic helm actually increase your….fun?
Or is it just the combination of dragon ball and your new cosmetic helm?
Serious question, but expect you to say that it makes for better roleplaying or something.

Looking to come back..

Vayne.8563

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?

Wish you were here.

Serious question, but expect you to say that it makes for better roleplaying or something.

Making my character look cool DOES increase my fun. It’s the one item I was sort of missing from my charr warrior. He looks very cool, and I think that’s fun. In fact, I find completing a character’s looks quite satisfying. So do many people.

Looking to come back..

Resonance.4216

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?

Wish you were here.

Dude, how do you miss the obvious troll.

Looking to come back..

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?

Wish you were here.

I hate the helm. It looks ugly. But I like these events. The totality of the event. :p

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Looking to come back..

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

If you’re looking for an opinion, don’t ask on the forums, boot up your game and have a go, all you’ll get here is doom and gloom and trolls, people telling you the devs do not exist, RNG is the only thing in the game, and the rest of that crap. Not true, of course, so just give it a go yourself.

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

Looking to come back..

Vayne.8563

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?

Wish you were here.

What makes you think I missed it? grins

Looking to come back..

Fernling.1729

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?

Wish you were here.

Making my character look cool DOES increase my fun. It’s the one item I was sort of missing from my charr warrior. He looks very cool, and I think that’s fun. In fact, I find completing a character’s looks quite satisfying. So do many people.

I just find it interesting, which is why I asked. I personally have some gear in mind, like a legendary, but I don’t think It’s going to increase my “fun”. I guess I would just call it neat or cool.

Calling people trolls because they ask questions that you don’t think fit is real mature.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Looking to come back..

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

There’s also WxP added, a type of experience which allows you to gain certain passive abilities.

and they are GRRRRREAT!!
No, not really. IMO they are crap, and it`s just another pathetic attempt by AN.

@OP: just log back, guest, see what`s up and then decide.

Looking to come back..

Resonance.4216

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?

Wish you were here.

What makes you think I was talking to you?

Looking to come back..

Vayne.8563

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?

Wish you were here.

What makes you think I was talking to you?

Nothing actually. Nothing at all. I simply answered.

Looking to come back..

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

WvW is a lot different to how it was before.

There is World Exp now and you get WvW ranks while you play, fortunately almost everything you do to help your server win will give you xp. With each rank you get ability points to spend on different “skills”, there is no skill that gives a direct advantage over other players but, there are skills that give extra abilities to siege weapons, skills that let you deal more damage to Guards/Lords or even let you carry more supply.

There was a siege yesterday when a group of 20+ attacking a tower, for some reason they forgot to destroy the oil (the Tower was undefended), so one person got in there and with the help of a max 4 others wiped them all – it was fun. WvW skills are great, those Arrow Carts are particularly deadly.

With every rank you get, there is a chest reward, high chance of a greens, lower of rare, I think there is a chance for exotic in there but never got one. You also get badges in the chest.

Badges drop like crazy now. Back in the day players were farming the Jumping Puzzles to get the Badges they needed. Those days are long gone, doing a typical WvW season with lots of combat will net you far more badges than running the JP, which is a great change. They are no longer called Badges of Jumping.

Badges can be used to buy new gear, WvW gear now has multiple stats, not only Soldier (P/V/T), also, there is almost every possible karma gear skin available with Badges. So you don’t miss those skins if you don’t PVE.

Other changes include the removal of Culling, changes to the Outmanned buff (when your numbers are fewer than the opposition), it has been changed so your armor is not getting damaged when you die (explore freely), break out events help servers on the losing side get a Tower, traps offer some strategy, negating stealth or removing supply from enemies.

They added more Dailies to WvW, which means you can easily get your laurels/dailies by doing just WvW, no need to go PVE for Laurels anymore. They added a Laurel vendor in WvW that offers items with a discount in Laurels (but added a Badge cost)

Top tier servers and bottom tier servers have problems/issues with WvW, top have huge zergs, bottom are getting stomped when paired with higher ones. Those in the middle have a much better WvW experience, in my opinion. The most important thing is to identify good commanders, they make all the difference.

Defeating 20+ people with just 5 is a blast

(edited by maddoctor.2738)

Looking to come back..

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?

To appropriate a line from someone we all know… “you’re playing the game wrong”.

I started doing the event achievements like you described, then I realised that with the long duration of the event that it was ultimately pointless as most of it will be done just by playing the game as I normally do.

For instance, today I took my necro alt to dredgehaunt cliffs to gain some more levels and work on the daily. In the hour I spent playing there I finished the daily, gained 2 levels, killed about 30 holographic minions and had the wing cover drop from a mob (and I have no clue how many coffers I received).

The other good news is that the story part of this event will be kicking off very soon, so that should give you something else to do.

Looking to come back..

Posted by: razn.7160

razn.7160

unless I go to LA, and then I see 10 people.

What kind of server are you playing on… Even at 5AM we’re at least 30 in LA on Aurora Glade server.