Loot issues still exist for some.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

This keeps coming up in another thread of mine so I thought I might move it here.

Are there still people out there that experience the lopsided loot issues? The kind I’m talking about are where you’re in a group of friends doing an event and that one guy that gets everything every week walks away with 4 times as much loot as anyone else?

How about, where you’re in a group doing an event and not only do you get all greys 100% of the time it stops after about the 8th kill because DR still kicks in for mobs that appear only for events.

Or how about this one. You try to farm materials (T5 because you can’t ever get a T6 to drop even when mars is in retro) and you kill 6 mobs only to start getting bones? (and it’s no exaggeration when I say 6 mobs total)?

Keep in mind this is with or without magic find with the same results for both.

Because I’m quite sure it’s not just me, it’s not my imagination, and I had tons more coming in the first month of the game launching prior to the new dungeon focus in Nov.

I’ve tried those boxes with and without magic find, and all I get are more karma bottles. Anyone else get those all the time from the RNG laurel/karma boxes they put into the game? Talk about frustrating!

I’d like to hear from the people who are affected by this, please no derailing or flaming

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: Seraki.2753

Seraki.2753

Magic find definitely is not functioning all the time. I’m calling it “magic” find cause it magically vanishes in function most of the time then gives me a day every now and then where it works.

tigirius.9014

Magic find definitely is not functioning all the time. I’m calling it “magic” find cause it magically vanishes in function most of the time then gives me a day every now and then where it works.

Been my experience too, every one in a while like 1 time a month I’d get good drops for like five minutes and then poof stops entirely.

Posted by: AnonEMouse.7932

AnonEMouse.7932

The games RNG is really annoying at times. I often have the problems that the op has.. killing things for an entire evening and get one rare.. and then extremely rarely I’ll have rare periods (like last night), when I had 2 exotics drop in 30 minutes.

Crazy.

Posted by: raiden.9024

raiden.9024

Played for 25-30mins killed 70 odd mobs some in Orr some in the island place I got a whooping 1 blood and 1 green item, so 2 items in 20 mins and 70 mobs needless to say I just closed the game not worth it.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Tigirius, I’m not bashing you or anything, but the amount of times you bring up your loot issues is really becoming ridiculous. You say it in almost every post you write and it’s just got to the point that I don’t believe you. RNG is RNG, and whether you believe it or not, you aren’t being targeted by the dev’s to have no drops. I can’t see that happening. You have the exact same loot tables as the rest of us and I think you’re blowing it way out of proportion on the forums, looking for confirmation bias from other people who like to complain that they can’t make bank in game.

This is all my opinion, and I won’t post again in this thread.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: abefroman.4825

abefroman.4825

The seed they use for RNG is fubar. I doubt they would admit it or even bother looking into it. We have seen this kind of thing happen in games before.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

For the people complaining magic find doesn’t work often enough:

Magic find of 100% takes a 0.1% chance and ups it to 0.2%.

2 out of a thousand is still pretty low odds.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Stress.2436

Stress.2436

I have the same problem i have luck like half and hour in a day then magically disappears for 1 mounth or 2 or 3

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

Well, our mostly static group experiences such things constantly. There is always like 1 guy who never gets anything, 1 who gets rares\exotics all the time and the rest have medicore results. All with the same amount of mf.

One thing I am sure of is that the longer you farm some place (cs or dungeons) the better your loot will become over time. I don’t know why it happens but it does. And by “longer” I mean weeks and months. If you just started farming some place you probably won’t get much.

EU Aurora Glade

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

Like many mechanisms in the game, Magic Find has never been clearly defined, there is no tooltip that tells you what it is actually affecting or even a loot template that you can put a percentile increase against. So I have never bothered equipping any and you know what? I get very similar loot drops (ie…dreadful) to everyone I run with….whether they have full magic find gear or part.

Without any explanation of how it works and especially how it works in relation to DR (another mystical thing we know exists but nobody knows the details of). It is a stupid and pointless stat to accumulate.

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Magic find and rng are hopelessly broken currently. You can stack pure magic find and (usually after a server reset) have a burst of decent drop rates then magically nothing until next reset.

The only way to play currently for people still affected by this is to run your daily chests and any other content with guaranteed rewards and then find something else to do, because you won’t get it through effort.

I go farming with guildies frequently and they put up with my incessant nagging long enough to divulge what drops they got, and I’m usually if not always the player with the least drops. Yes, I make sure we have similar magic find and mobs are tagged and etc.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

tigirius.9014

Tigirius, I’m not bashing you or anything, but the amount of times you bring up your loot issues is really becoming ridiculous. You say it in almost every post you write and it’s just got to the point that I don’t believe you. RNG is RNG, and whether you believe it or not, you aren’t being targeted by the dev’s to have no drops. I can’t see that happening. You have the exact same loot tables as the rest of us and I think you’re blowing it way out of proportion on the forums, looking for confirmation bias from other people who like to complain that they can’t make bank in game.

This is all my opinion, and I won’t post again in this thread.

Well that’s the great thing about freedom is I don’t have to believe you either.

tigirius.9014

Well, our mostly static group experiences such things constantly. There is always like 1 guy who never gets anything, 1 who gets rares\exotics all the time and the rest have medicore results. All with the same amount of mf.

One thing I am sure of is that the longer you farm some place (cs or dungeons) the better your loot will become over time. I don’t know why it happens but it does. And by “longer” I mean weeks and months. If you just started farming some place you probably won’t get much.

yep this happens to me the most. one guy in my team would get everything (4 times as much rares) then anyone every single time we’d go anywhere and do anything. someone else owuld get like 2-3 good drops, and then the rest of us would be heartbroken/not-surprised-in-the-least because we got greens. Didn’t matter the content either. I usually don’t but on occasion I’ve run a couple of dungeons and it would happen there too.

RNG can’t possibly have a 100% fail rate in a group setting there’s something wrong seriously. And I don’t particularly like more RNG as the solution. To modify a statement of one of my favorite characters on one of my favorite (yet cancelled) shows.

“I got a share in this job. Ten percent of nothing is—let me do the math here. Nothing into nothin’. Carry the nothin’…” — Jayne Cobb

When is it safe again to farm? When will the bots actually be taken care of once and for all so that we can once again actually receive reward for time spent and why is that so difficult a problem for people to see? Why do people think that just because they are having good luck that there aren’t people out here who get nothing on a regular basis? Baffles the mind…

Also, If I had not received great rewards pre-November and then suddenly started getting nothing slowly more and more into today, then I would have nothing to complain about the pennies are pennies folks and they don’t exactly make it fun when everything costs.

Finally I’ve tried those boxes with and without magic find, and all I get are more karma bottles. Anyone else get those all the time from the RNG laurel/karma boxes they put into the game? Talk about frustrating!

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

It is not the RNG that is the problem, it it the anti farm (DR) code that seems to be the root of everyone’s woes. The DR is totally erratic in it’s application, sometimes you will get an hour before it kicks in and the next day it is as if it kicks in immediately, even if you leave 24 hours in between farming an area or a mob. When you have the RNG, MF and DR all being factors in determining your loot there is plenty of room for error to kick in and the DR modifier would be where I would look for the root cause. DR has to account for the area you are in, the time spent in that area and the type of mob you are killing in that area for that time period. Consider the math that goes into determining how rapidly your returns diminish.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Sadly DR has kicked in for every one on my lvl 80 toons. I am unable to shake it off. I farm orr and I can only assume that’s where I picked it up. 90% of the time I get porous bones or other white trash, some blues, a green or 2 here and there, and I am lucky if I get one rare a week, and I used to put a lot of time in this game. This problem started around the time that the one day Karka event took place. I run with over 100% magic find, I have even tried removing MF gear and I still get garbage most of the time. Because of drop quality I receive, I have reduced the number of hours that I play to only cover the dailies anymore, it’s just not worth it anymore. They ruined the game for me, while trying to punish bots!

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Maybe you should start doing 1hr farming sessions, and taking a screenshot of your loot after you’re done , and then post it here with farm location, time, and magic find used so people can see your actually drops, and compare it to their own.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

Sadly DR has kicked in for every one on my lvl 80 toons. I am unable to shake it off. I farm orr and I can only assume that’s where I picked it up. 90% of the time I get porous bones or other white trash, some blues, a green or 2 here and there, and I am lucky if I get one rare a week, and I used to put a lot of time in this game. This problem started around the time that the one day Karka event took place. I run with over 100% magic find, I have even tried removing MF gear and I still get garbage most of the time. Because of drop quality I receive, I have reduced the number of hours that I play to only cover the dailies anymore, it’s just not worth it anymore. They ruined the game for me, while trying to punish bots!

This happened to me for all of december into mid january, I used to run with magic find gear then one day I had an awesome loot day, lots of rates, a few exotic’s and the T6 mats were plentiful then all of a sudden all I started getting was grey items, 2-3 days later still nothing but grey items, month in a half later still nothing but grey items. So I took some time off, about 2 weeks, I started playing again, threw my mf gear back on and within 30min it was back to nothing but grey items, this went on for another week than I decided to play without mf gear and I started getting white and occasional blue items, so I salvaged all my mf gear, I refuse to use it now, its not worth months of DR for a shot of anything better than a blue item. I play for fun now and to spend time with friends, farming is not an option for me anymore.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

I believe you, tigirius. And I am so sad that the fix they introduced after they claimed for so long NOTHING would be wrong with the loot didn’t help you. :-(
I think it is okay now for me, not perfect, but it improved compared to before… but as I am doing now only rarely the orr farming thing (I switched to “farm” the world boss chests and the bonus chests) I do not know how lucky I would be in Orr..
The chests are a good distraction…
I was farming in Orr (for only a few minutes and definitely under < 1 hour) and it seemed to be worse than directly after they “repaired and fixed” it, but who knows, maybe I was unlucky as I tried it the last times..
AND on top of that the drop rate of the new mini chests that contain the rare/ exotic loot has decreased.. that is how it feels, I have no data to support this, but however, I – for myself -don’t need data.
We don’t know if they raised the loot/ drop rate a little bit and then made the boss chest farming popular to secretly decrease the loot again. However, maybe they didn’t and the tin foil hat is going strong. But you can never know, as we now know we were (NOT!) all just perceiving and x-filing those times the loot issue was really big!

Did you try to do the world bosses? Do the regular chests from them contain decent loot for you? Do you get DR from them quickly? (There are some existing issues that one may not receive the chest although one will receive the golden medal; sometimes its combined with DR.. there is something messed up.. for example: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/World-Boss-Bonus-Chests-Not-Always-Appearing/first)

Posted by: Kaiem.8297

Kaiem.8297

I have wildly differing loot experiences between my own characters. Of my five 80’s two occasionally get rares from mobs and regularly get one or more rares from world event chests, one seems to get rares fairly often from mobs but not too often from chests and another often gets rares from mobs and seems to always get at least one from chests often two or three.
My final character, the one I would consider my main, hasn’t had a rare from mobs since January and has never had a rare from a world event chest, not one! When the game very first launched he would get rares all the time, when I first hit 80 and was farming in cursed shore he would get 3-4 rares an hour then diminishing returns were introduced and his loot has never been the same.

A guild mate of mine has something similar, he does ok for rares from all sources on most his characters but on another he gets them all the time and often gets exotics from chests, sometimes 3 or 4 from one mornings world events farming!

I’m willing to accept that it’s most likely nothing more than a quirk, RNG is random after all! However, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn one day there is some unintentional factor that affects a characters drops.

tigirius.9014

I believe you, tigirius. And I am so sad that the fix they introduced after they claimed for so long NOTHING would be wrong with the loot didn’t help you. :-(
I think it is okay now for me, not perfect, but it improved compared to before… but as I am doing now only rarely the orr farming thing (I switched to “farm” the world boss chests and the bonus chests) I do not know how lucky I would be in Orr..
The chests are a good distraction…
I was farming in Orr (for only a few minutes and definitely under < 1 hour) and it seemed to be worse than directly after they “repaired and fixed” it, but who knows, maybe I was unlucky as I tried it the last times..
AND on top of that the drop rate of the new mini chests that contain the rare/ exotic loot has decreased.. that is how it feels, I have no data to support this, but however, I – for myself -don’t need data.
We don’t know if they raised the loot/ drop rate a little bit and then made the boss chest farming popular to secretly decrease the loot again. However, maybe they didn’t and the tin foil hat is going strong. But you can never know, as we now know we were (NOT!) all just perceiving and x-filing those times the loot issue was really big!

Did you try to do the world bosses? Do the regular chests from them contain decent loot for you? Do you get DR from them quickly? (There are some existing issues that one may not receive the chest although one will receive the golden medal; sometimes its combined with DR.. there is something messed up.. for example: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/World-Boss-Bonus-Chests-Not-Always-Appearing/first)

Thanks for your sincere concern.

The thing for me is that the boss loot was fixed when i have done metas but only for the guaranteed rares we’re all given. the loot from boxes remains the same. I’m almost never getting a rare or exotic from boxes from bosses just the guaranteed one that pops up after a daily boss kill. I don’t fight multiple world bosses often enough to see the loot change. I will have to check this out tho because I’ve only recently discovered an iPhone app with the boss timers on it, all of them, for my server.

So it’s largely and obviously NOT fixed, whatever the purpose of this is I dunno but I do know the severe lack of loot at the end of any kind of session whether it be a simple run through for a daily to be completed in multiple zones like it was today as well as another failed attempt at a farming session.

I’m not sure also that it only cuts off loot for 24 hours because I’ve come back after days of not playing only to be on any character cutoff from the loot again. It doesn’t seem to care if I’m days gone or that I’m on a completely different toon.

I spent a whole month away from the game and played other games (in which this is never an issue) so I know it couldn’t have a timer like this. I plan on contacting support next because something has to be done. Despite people’s claims that they get gold all the time getting pennies and the occasional silver doesn’t pay for repairs nor does it help with travel costs.

The majority of the time I get nothing. I every 2 weeks on average get a weird rare drop from a strange location. A pre-level 30 zone creature like a doe or a fawn or a mosquito. Nothing to count on definitely tho.

I have the need to gear my ranger with the appropriate runes and must purchase them from the TP since there’s absolutely no way of getting the runes i need for him thru crafting since the availability of the T6 mats are cut off from me with this problem as well as with my play style (can’t get the lodestones unless I run a dungeon it seems sigh so much for playstyle choice).

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

I think – speaking of “cut off times” – that it is related to ingame time. Time you spent ingame. And that cannot be reset by just quitting and waiting with real life time.
Say you hit DR and it kicks in and it would reset in 3h after you have done anything else with that certain character, then it will not help to log out and come back 24h later, because the 3h still have to expire.
Such a system wouldn’t make any sense, but it seems more likely that something like this is in place..
For example if one camps at a boss and kills him, then the next day you come back, have not switched the character for that boss and have not done anything in between it is very likely that you will hit DR/ whatever and you will not get the chest(s) from the boss!!!
How can that be?
Logically and how it would feel right for me, the DR or whatever should reset always with the daily reset.. does that make sense for any of you?
So if one ever hit the DR (and like described above it can happen and does happen (like the linked threads show) that you do a boss in such a way, but why should it ever be punished with DR, if you only do that boss once per day?? The first try NEVER EVER should give you NOTHING..) it would reset every 24 hours. And I am speaking of real world time, not ingame time.

Except that you could experience a bug with the DR mechanic, the system itself has to be improved. It has to be gamer friendly. Right now the bots don’t care, because they just farm 24/7 or exploit the nodes and still get enough money. The only one that is really hurt is the legit player.
They don’t want us to farm?
Tell us.
But – what they did – they told us they are okay with farming, they just don’t like botting and exploiting. And that is fine with me. BUT what someone says and what really happens.. yeah.. it can be poles apart.

(edited by Navi.7142)

tigirius.9014

I agree Navi they need to tell us but Jon told us he likes Legit Farmers and my answer to him is this, if you like us so much then give us the choice to farm, your game is supposed to be all about choices and all playstyles are supposed to lead to the same end game, well let us farm freely. Other games do and use other more tried and true and non-customer harming techniques to deal with the bots than DR. In fact most games that have used DR have either lost 60% of their playerbase (D3) or they’ve completely crashed because they lost almost all of their playerbase when they put it into use (in subscription based games) which closed those games permanently.

The only reason it’s still going strong on this game is that it’s not happening to everyone which leads me to believe like you that there is a bug involved.

Colin recent post talking about the months ahead told us “It’s extremely important that we stay true to our philosophy that you should be able to play Guild Wars 2 the way you want to play the game in order to reach the most powerful rewards.”

At any rate I’ve reported my problems to support and asked them for a real solution or at the very least someone to look into my account to see if there’s some flag or bug with just me. We’ll see what happens next.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m wondering what would happen to the luck of some farmers if they spent like 2-3 hours just running around a low level zone, in an attempt to reset their DR. Yeah, I know, you wont’ get as much loot, but it’s worth the experiment if it upsets you so much. Either get a friend, or play some music, give it a try and see if it resets the DR (if that indeed is the problem).

Posted by: Drew.1865

Drew.1865

Ok let’s think logically here. If the loot was not an issue for MANY players then why would they give guaranteed yellow drops from a chest. Also if it’s really all RNG then how can they control just that one drop? Basically ALL the drops in this game are tweaked just like slot machines in a casino. The spamming of yellows or exotic drops in chat are just like the lights that flash and the alarms that go off when someone hits the jackpot on a slot machine.

This is no more a game than a slot machine but with each mob kill it’s a pull on the lever.
If you want to play a game where you aren’t on a hamster wheel then play a game with a sub. Sub games are a lot more honest as far as what the games real rewards are. You might have to grind a lot in a sub game but you know what’s at the end of the grind.

Is GW2 a game or a virtual casino?

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I’m wondering what would happen to the luck of some farmers if they spent like 2-3 hours just running around a low level zone, in an attempt to reset their DR. Yeah, I know, you wont’ get as much loot, but it’s worth the experiment if it upsets you so much. Either get a friend, or play some music, give it a try and see if it resets the DR (if that indeed is the problem).

It’s a good idea, as it fits with the anti-DR sentiment that you shouldn’t remain in one area too long. But I think the problem has more to do with perception than reality.

No one can say what loot he should have gotten, but didn’t. The program doesn’t tell you, “you can’t have (item) because you’re in DR… go do something else for 20 min and come back.” So how much is RNG being RNG and how much is a player’s expectations that he deserves a specific grade of loot because it’s been a while since (rarity) dropped?

Random means that 11111 occasionally happens just like any other particular combination of numbers. Gamblers can convince themselves that they’re “hot” when they win a few times in a row, then luck can turn on them in an instant. People naturally want to find patterns in random events, even though there are none to find.

Memory plays tricks on us, too. You might forget the three rares you got last week that were “only” worth 15 silver each, but the exotic worth 15 gold you got a month ago still seems as fresh in your mind as if you opened the chest an hour ago. So when someone says they’re getting nothing but junk, you remember the big score a month ago and say “yeah, I haven’t got anything worthwhile in weeks!”

I can’t say that DR never applies to players, or even that it’s working perfectly. But I think a large part of the complaints are the results of unrealistic expectations. I never raided in other games, but I did take part in a “raid rift” once in Rift, and at the end of the encounter, there were about three or four pieces of valuable loot that were handed out to players by random roll. The other fifteen or so people who were there (maybe more I don’t remember) got the “normal” rewards but didn’t get any special loot. Is this normal? If so, how many raids do you go to where you don’t get that super-awesome sword or mega-heavy armor piece? The bonus chest may not always be a valuable item, but at the very least it’s guaranteed to be something you can salvage or sell.

Do you fully gear up in ten raids or less? Or twenty? Thirty?

I don’t think the system was set up to hand out rares and exotics like beads at Mardi Gras. I don’t think that Magic Find is supposed to guarantee good loot. But I think that a lot of people had unrealistic expectations, and that the bonus chest with a guaranteed rare was a concession to them, just like Ascended gear is a bone thrown to the progression crowd.

And I think that a lot of the problems are in players’ heads, not the game.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

It’s a good idea, as it fits with the anti-DR sentiment that you shouldn’t remain in one area too long. But I think the problem has more to do with perception than reality.

No one can say what loot he should have gotten, but didn’t. The program doesn’t tell you, “you can’t have (item) because you’re in DR… go do something else for 20 min and come back.” So how much is RNG being RNG and how much is a player’s expectations that he deserves a specific grade of loot because it’s been a while since (rarity) dropped?

Random means that 11111 occasionally happens just like any other particular combination of numbers. Gamblers can convince themselves that they’re “hot” when they win a few times in a row, then luck can turn on them in an instant. People naturally want to find patterns in random events, even though there are none to find.

Memory plays tricks on us, too. You might forget the three rares you got last week that were “only” worth 15 silver each, but the exotic worth 15 gold you got a month ago still seems as fresh in your mind as if you opened the chest an hour ago. So when someone says they’re getting nothing but junk, you remember the big score a month ago and say “yeah, I haven’t got anything worthwhile in weeks!”

I can’t say that DR never applies to players, or even that it’s working perfectly. But I think a large part of the complaints are the results of unrealistic expectations. I never raided in other games, but I did take part in a “raid rift” once in Rift, and at the end of the encounter, there were about three or four pieces of valuable loot that were handed out to players by random roll. The other fifteen or so people who were there (maybe more I don’t remember) got the “normal” rewards but didn’t get any special loot. Is this normal? If so, how many raids do you go to where you don’t get that super-awesome sword or mega-heavy armor piece? The bonus chest may not always be a valuable item, but at the very least it’s guaranteed to be something you can salvage or sell.

Do you fully gear up in ten raids or less? Or twenty? Thirty?

I don’t think the system was set up to hand out rares and exotics like beads at Mardi Gras. I don’t think that Magic Find is supposed to guarantee good loot. But I think that a lot of people had unrealistic expectations, and that the bonus chest with a guaranteed rare was a concession to them, just like Ascended gear is a bone thrown to the progression crowd.

And I think that a lot of the problems are in players’ heads, not the game.

I remember each of the 3…yeah 3, open world exotic drops I have gotten in my 2,772 hours of play. I highly expect my ratio to be 1:1000 hrs and yeah I do expect better b/c that is pathetic at best.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Vayne.8563

Ok let’s think logically here. If the loot was not an issue for MANY players then why would they give guaranteed yellow drops from a chest. Also if it’s really all RNG then how can they control just that one drop? Basically ALL the drops in this game are tweaked just like slot machines in a casino. The spamming of yellows or exotic drops in chat are just like the lights that flash and the alarms that go off when someone hits the jackpot on a slot machine.

This is no more a game than a slot machine but with each mob kill it’s a pull on the lever.
If you want to play a game where you aren’t on a hamster wheel then play a game with a sub. Sub games are a lot more honest as far as what the games real rewards are. You might have to grind a lot in a sub game but you know what’s at the end of the grind.

Ummm because they’re supposed to be meta events and people were complaining they weren’t worth doing. And because by putting those rewards into those meta events they managed to get people out of Orr (one of their goals) and into the world. Because a lot of people while waiting for meta events to spawn in a zone go and do other events and it makes the world busier.

I can think of a host of reasons that have nothing to do with loot bugs as a reason why Anet would change loot distribution.

tolunart.2095

I remember each of the 3…yeah 3, open world exotic drops I have gotten in my 2,772 hours of play. I highly expect my ratio to be 1:1000 hrs and yeah I do expect better b/c that is pathetic at best.

Thanx for proving my point… if you expect to see a pattern come out of random events, then I can almost guarantee disappointment.

Shortly after I began following the dragon timer and getting those bonus chests, I got two exotics. One from a chest, the other from the Mystic Forge, on two consecutive days. It’s been about two weeks since then and I haven’t seen another. I never got an exotic before, and I may never get another exotic drop, or I could get one tomorrow. I have no expectations.

tigirius.9014

Thanx for proving my point… if you expect to see a pattern come out of random events, then I can almost guarantee disappointment.

Shortly after I began following the dragon timer and getting those bonus chests, I got two exotics. One from a chest, the other from the Mystic Forge, on two consecutive days. It’s been about two weeks since then and I haven’t seen another. I never got an exotic before, and I may never get another exotic drop, or I could get one tomorrow. I have no expectations.

I think it’s more then that for me because even after they put DR in it was still bearable to a degree, I was still getting loot, not it’s just not acceptable because one needs gold to do things and the copper and tiny bits of silver I sometimes get from finishing dailies just won’t cut it, the costs for teleports are higher then that!

We’ll see what they say, but I have a feeling this is going to be handled just like last time, where they will sweep it under the rug.

tigirius.9014

Ummm because they’re supposed to be meta events and people were complaining they weren’t worth doing. And because by putting those rewards into those meta events they managed to get people out of Orr (one of their goals) and into the world. Because a lot of people while waiting for meta events to spawn in a zone go and do other events and it makes the world busier.

I can think of a host of reasons that have nothing to do with loot bugs as a reason why Anet would change loot distribution.

don’t forget the large numbers only running dungeons because that’s the only other place that loot was dropping at the time that is until the chests started globally disappearing no matter what you were doing.

Drew.1865

Yeah even the meta events had bad drops so they literally had to guarantee you would get a drop just so they could get people to do those events. When you have to do something like that you’re admitting there’s a problem. It didn’t help when they conviently deleted the post about loot drops lol. Notice the dev response is posted so people can’t respond or continue the discussion ;-)

Essence Snow.3194

So your point is that those 3 drops I have had is only pathetic in my mind? That we should not expect loot at all in a game where loot is a major aspect of said game? Maybe we shouldn’t expect stories, dungeons, modern graphics, or anything for that matter?
Where is that line? What should be expected from this type of game? I feel that my expectations are completely reasonable given the context of the game. Expectations are not all unreasonable or unfounded.

Drew.1865

don’t forget the large numbers only running dungeons because that’s the only other place that loot was dropping at the time that is until the chests started globally disappearing no matter what you were doing.

Even the dungeon rewards were so bad many players started to only run COF lol.

Vayne.8563

Yeah even the meta events had bad drops so they literally had to guarantee you would get a drop just so they could get people to do those events. When you have to do something like that you’re admitting there’s a problem. It didn’t help when they conviently deleted the post about loot drops lol. Notice the dev response is posted so people can’t respond or continue the discussion ;-)

But they fixed the problem, because at least I get yellows from the big chests relatively often, in addition to the yellows I get from the daily chest. You’re saying they didn’t fix the problem, when in fact, for most people anyway, they did. I don’t know if there really is something to some people or characters being unlucky but I will say that my drop rate from the big chests, not the daily chests, have signficantly improved.

Ergo, from my point of view this problem is fixed.

Drew.1865

So your point is that those 3 drops I have had is only pathetic in my mind? That we should not expect loot at all in a game where loot is a major aspect of said game? Maybe we shouldn’t expect stories, dungeons, modern graphics, or anything for that matter?
Where is that line? What should be expected from this type of game? I feel that my expectations are completely reasonable given the context of the game. Expectations are not all unreasonable or unfounded.

The fanboys will next use the “but there’s no sub” excuse. There’s always a reason why criticism of the game is unreasonable as far as they’re concerned.

Drew.1865

But they fixed the problem, because at least I get yellows from the big chests relatively often, in addition to the yellows I get from the daily chest. You’re saying they didn’t fix the problem, when in fact, for most people anyway, they did. I don’t know if there really is something to some people or characters being unlucky but I will say that my drop rate from the big chests, not the daily chests, have signficantly improved.

The problem of meta events was fixed but none of the other areas of the game had rewards adjusted. If anything they were nerfed into the ground to try and balance the meta event rare loot to keep the pressure up for players to use the gem store as much as possible.

tigirius.9014

The problem of meta events was fixed but none of the other areas of the game had rewards adjusted. If anything they were nerfed into the ground to try and balance the meta event rare loot to keep the pressure up for players to use the gem store as much as possible.

I’ll be seeing if they give me the usual flack about it being my imagination, sorry 8 months of the same loot experience, a different experience mind you than what I experienced when the game was without loot nerfs and DR prior to DR being implemented, says otherwise. Will they still claim it’s all in our heads a year from now?

It’s true, the rest were not adjusted. I firmly recall getting rares and exotics from level 75-80 zone chests with or without a champion defending them and I firmly recall getting rares, and T6 mats from farming in those zones.

Drew.1865

I’ll be seeing if they give me the usual flack about it being my imagination, sorry 8 months of the same loot experience, a different experience mind you than what I experienced when the game was without loot nerfs and DR prior to DR being implemented, says otherwise. Will they still claim it’s all in our heads a year from now?

It’s true, the rest were not adjusted. I firmly recall getting rares and exotics from level 75-80 zone chests with or without a champion defending them and I firmly recall getting rares, and T6 mats from farming in those zones.

I’m playing a sub game now and I can farm until I’m blue in the face and never hit DR. The economy in that game is just as good if not better too.

There’s nothing free about F2P or B2P. Check out neverwinters forums. The cash shop in that game is so bad it’s funny.

Drew.1865

They even thinned the mobs out. Changed the actual drops to a bag if you got anything besides a porous bone in Orr and added Champions just to make sure it was nerfed lol.

I feel sorry for a new player just starting to play this game. I can’t imagine how hard it is for them.

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

I’m semi casual semi hard core player and been playing since 1st beta. The drop rate for me now is just a joke, i dont get exo’s, lucky if i get a rare other then the 1st boss kill a day rubbish which i think is stupid in itself and the odds on getting a precursor without buying $100’s and 100’s of dollars worth of gold is rediculous. How the hell do people do it? What am i doing wrong? I do cof p1 runs, salvage dungeon armor for ecto’s to sell but i get the impression unless your playing the trader market with spread sheets your not going to make the gold to have the good stuff? I got 4 80’s 2 40’s and 2 30’s, Im not a complete noob but things like four leaf clovers and the Luck forge seem to be killing what should be fun. I dont want things handed to me but precursor’s need to be attainable without a 0.00000001 chance of it dropping. I get greens and blues from all dragon chests and dungeons. This isnt one weeks worth of kitten. This is months of this. WTF Anet?

tolunart.2095

You do not know the chance of an exotic item dropping, therefore it’s unreasonable to place demands on the event such as “an exotic should drop once every X hours.” The chance of it happening is not cumulative, and nowhere in the program is a counter going “x + 1 < y therefore no drop…. x + 2 = y therefore time to drop exotic” as though you deserve one for playing for however long.

A long time ago a friend of mine had an idea that he wanted to try to win the Powerball lottery. The idea went something like:

The more tickets you buy, the greater the chance to win something. But the chance to win anything worthwhile requires the “power” number, so any combination you choose would have to include every possible power number. There are so many possible combinations that if you could afford to buy a ticket for every one, you wouldn’t need to win. So he wanted to eliminate every regular number drawn (I think the numbers went up to 60 or so) in the last month and choose a set of numbers from the remaining “undrawn” numbers and buy a ticket with those numbers and every possible power number, something like 45 tickets per drawing.

His reasoning was that every number comes up eventually, and picking “fresh” numbers that hadn’t been drawn recently would eventually come up with a winning combination, or at least close enough to pay for the next few rounds of tickets, like three or four numbers + the power number. But when I looked at the last few months worth of drawings, I saw many numbers came up several times within a few weeks of each other, sometimes in consecutive drawings.

I realized that each drawing was its own event, and so every number was “fresh” whether it had been drawn recently or not. The whole idea fell apart when I told him that picking numbers that hadn’t been drawn doesn’t increase the chance of winning, and eliminating numbers because they had been drawn may actually decrease the chance of winning something because the same number could come up in two drawings in a row.

This is what you are doing. You think that because an exotic has or has not come up recently, that the chance to get another exotic should change. I got two exotics in two days, some people go months without seeing a single exotic drop. Each loot roll is its own event, and each has exactly the same chance to drop an exotic, other events will not influence that chance in any way.

So, an exotic dropping is a unique event dependent entirely on the chance set within the program that it will happen, and modified by things such as Magic Find, which may or may not work because no one knows how to test it accurately except the devs, who won’t explain exactly how it works. What you expect to happen is irrelevant, and having any expectation at all when you have no idea what the chance is of actually getting an exotic – beyond “a very very small chance” – is pointless.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Colin recent post talking about the months ahead told us “It’s extremely important that we stay true to our philosophy that you should be able to play Guild Wars 2 the way you want to play the game in order to reach the most powerful rewards.”

I didn’t see that so they’re still trying to maintain this fiction.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

tigirius.9014

I’m playing a sub game now and I can farm until I’m blue in the face and never hit DR. The economy in that game is just as good if not better too.

There’s nothing free about F2P or B2P. Check out neverwinters forums. The cash shop in that game is so bad it’s funny.

I’m actually a founder in NW and while bags and the completely option T3 mounts are a little much, there’s a 4 currency system for their economy. It’s the best economy out there in mmo’s because you can farm all day never hit DR and never see the Devs adjusting the loot to require you to buy gems to keep your character’s armor repaired, your enchantments (on here runes/sigils) current or updated based on balance issues they created, and never do you have to worry about suddenly getting nothing in drops and it persisting for 7-8 months without a fix.

I seriously thought that laurels and karma boxes would fix these issues for me but more RNG in this game doesn’t do anything but get more frustrating. Just went thru on two toons in GW2 and opened about 20 boxes from Orr got nothing but karma bottles. Did that with laurel bags to, you think I actually got a single lodestone? Nope.

Let’s see, RNG + RNG carry the RNG = 0. So nope not the solution.

Meanwhile I log into LOTRO, I log into NWO and bam, got loot all the time, think the economy is hurting? nope.

Drew.1865 "I feel sorry for a new player just starting to play this game. I can’t imagine how hard it is for them.:

Me too, the last time I said something like that my thread was flooded with naysayers all scrambling to tell me there was nothing absolutely nothing wrong with their drops so it must just be me.

tolunart.2095

I’ve gotten up to three rares (bonus chest + 2 from big chest) after killing a zone boss or dragon, and I’ve only been doing it off and on for a few weeks. I don’t track how many rares I get, however, so I don’t know how often it happens, just that it has happened recently.

So, nothing wrong from here, either. Perhaps the changes to the way loot is distributed interacts with DR, I don’t remain in one area or “farm” events so I don’t believe I’ve ever triggered it. But perhaps if you are or were under DR then it may alter the way the loot is distributed beyond that period.

Anyway, the biggest difference in my point of view is that I play the game for the sake of playing the game, not to have bigger shinies than everyone else. So I don’t look at the rewards as something I deserve for giving Anet money, but rather as a bonus for playing the game. So when a rare pops up, I say “hey, cool!” instead of “it’s about time!”

Essence Snow.3194

No offense, but that was a lot of fluff to say basically “you have no reason to expect anything”, which I do not agree.

If one were to get nothing but spikes, by your logic, that would be perfectly fine and pointless to expect anything but. I do not accept that rational as reasonable.

I believe that we should expect that a major component of the game should have such characteristics to where it is not in direct conflict with the game’s primary mission. I expect that if something detracts fun from the game, that something is not working as intended. After all what good is a game if it is not fun?

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

What I’ve found is that the more and more I pay attention to the loot I’m getting, the worse it seems to be. I’m not saying its in your head, but maybe what would help is do what someone suggested: over a week, go to the same place you normally farm, farm it for an hour or so (or the same amount of time), and just keep a log of the items that you get (in terms of quality).

Many people are saying their statistics are bad, but have you actually CHECKED your statistics? Do it, and maybe see how it is, and see if other players can do it to compare

For the people too that keep quoting, RNG, remember, RNG are never actually truely random, just pseudo-random. I’d be interested to hear a comment from a dev about their generators. A good one might start repeating after billions of number “pulls”, but in an MMO, that’s not very much. So, just the curious side of me would like to know how they do the RNG. Do different aspects of the game get different generators, etc…

I don’t get exotics very often, but I still get them (I’ve never gotten one in WvW though and some of my guildmates in the same length of time have gotten a couple of precursors).

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

Vayne.8563

The fanboys will next use the “but there’s no sub” excuse. There’s always a reason why criticism of the game is unreasonable as far as they’re concerned.

Except that I don’t use that excuse, and most of the “fan boys” I’ve seen don’t either. Why invent stuff?

tolunart.2095

No offense, but that was a lot of fluff to say basically “you have no reason to expect anything”, which I do not agree.

If one were to get nothing but spikes, by your logic, that would be perfectly fine and pointless to expect anything but. I do not accept that rational as reasonable.

I believe that we should expect that a major component of the game should have such characteristics to where it is not in direct conflict with the game’s primary mission. I expect that if something detracts fun from the game, that something is not working as intended. After all what good is a game if it is not fun?

Ok. You have no reason to expect anything. I do not require your agreement, nor does the game, which will continue to distribute loot according to its program and not according to your preferences.

I have fun every time I play. When I’m not having fun, I stop playing. Maybe you should try that.

tigirius.9014

snip

Anyway, the biggest difference in my point of view is that I play the game for the sake of playing the game, not to have bigger shinies than everyone else. So I don’t look at the rewards as something I deserve for giving Anet money, but rather as a bonus for playing the game. So when a rare pops up, I say “hey, cool!” instead of “it’s about time!”

The purpose of people needing loot isn’t to have bigger shinies, there’s a cost of living in this game like there is in every other game but only 1 currency for it, thus the need for drops to be sold or items from drops to be sold to earn enough currency to survive.

When the loot isn’t equal there’s an issue.

It’s not different then pay. If the pay isn’t equal for the same job, same amount of money, same equipment being used, with no discernable reason other then one person is mysteriously different then the other (somewhere in the aether) then there’s a problem.