Loot rolling question

Loot rolling question

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Has Arenanet ever stated if your loot is rolled upon opening a chest, or if it’s rolled when the chest is created?

To put it more directly, if you die, and that champion chest is sitting right next to you, but is gone by the time you get back, was there really anything in it, or just the chance?

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Loot rolling question

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

When you open the chest, i think i remember someone from Anet stating that recently.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Loot rolling question

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

So I always rush to the loot. Maybe I should let it sit, it might work better.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Loot rolling question

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

It definitely seems to be rolled on opening. Using champ loot bags as an example: If you kill a champ on a level 30 character and then give said bag to a level 80 character to open, the loot will be level 80 loot.

Loot rolling question

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Well, it’s a silly thing. It’s easier to part with a lost bag if you know it doesn’t contain anything until you open it. If that makes sense.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Loot rolling question

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Actually there’s 2 answers to this.

1. The champ’s loot is determined when the champ is killed.
Here’s an example which will help:
Suppose you killed a veteran air elementalist and it dropped a Charged Lodestone. You would see a wooden chest appear on the ground. That drop was determined BEFORE you hit the loot button. It is the RESULT of the Charged Lodestone that you’re seeing the chest. The lodestone IS NOT the result of the chest.

2. The champ loot bag’s contents (Embriodered Coin Purse for example) are not determined until the moment when you open them.

And to answer your other question. If you die and run back, that should have no affect on what you get for loot, provided you return fast enough.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Loot rolling question

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s definitely on opening. I give the loot bags from my level 10 to my level 80 to open and get level 80 items, including an exotic once.

Loot rolling question

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Well, I’ve gotten a level 80 exotic on an alt in the 30’s (it did startle me to have that happen). Maybe the loot tables just get weighted by level, not completely determined by it.

Loot rolling question

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

It’s rolled on opening, because if you get at level 50 and open it at level 80 it will be higher level gear.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Loot rolling question

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Well, I’ve gotten a level 80 exotic on an alt in the 30’s (it did startle me to have that happen). Maybe the loot tables just get weighted by level, not completely determined by it.

It was level 80 because it was exotic, exotic is always level 80, except for the craftable back pieces for some reason.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Loot rolling question

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

It was level 80 because it was exotic, exotic is always level 80, except for the craftable back pieces for some reason.

There’s plenty of sub-80 exotic stuff…

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Loot rolling question

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

The champ weapons (Shiverstone, Arc, Bonetti’s Rapier, etc) can be gotten from champ bags regardless of the character’s level that is opening it. You can also get crafting mats appropriate to the type of champ bag.

Example: I send my exotic champ bags to my level 33 or 51 for cotton/wool/linen and since they’re exotic bags I still get T6 materials and the occasional champ weapon. All of the other weapon/armor items are appropriate to that character’s level.

Loot rolling question

Posted by: Bernie.8674

Bernie.8674

There’s plenty of sub-80 exotic stuff…

I second this statement. I got an account bound exotic level 18 hood from somewhere (I think it was an achievement chest, but I’m not positive). I also have exotic level 71 boots.

Loot rolling question

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

As far as actually picking things up off the ground, the loot is rolled when the mob dies.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wooden_Chest
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Steel_Chest

Basically, if you see a Steel Chest, you’ll want to pick that up asap.

Loot rolling question

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

It exists in both states simultaneously, effectively making it the Tyrian version of the Schrodinger’s Cat Paradox.

Loot rolling question

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yeah this happened to me. Doing the QD champ train before it was killed(R.I.P.) I got he highborn on my level 30 necro.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|