Losing interest? Try this!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lagrangeify.5641

lagrangeify.5641

ANet are very clever guys. They know who their core audience is, but they’re not going to turn away suckers who buy any AAA MMO that comes along in the mistaken belief that it has that magical formula that actually does not exist and never will.

I think they know there is a huge percentage of initial sales to people who will never, ever be satisfied. They know those people will be there for launch and they know they won’t stick around because they’re voracious content piranhas who have appetites that can never be sated, certainly not by a game designed to be played the way GW2 has been.

I think I’m ANet’s core audience. All the things you cite as lacking in this game, I consider positive design choices intended to appeal to me and my ilk. I’ve done my fair share of monthly sub endgame dungeon grind for inch by inch gain – too much like a job these days, and mine’s demanding enough as it is.

I’m extremely happy with GW2. And I’ll be buying future expansions. That’s all I know.

Posted by: Michael Walker.8150

Michael Walker.8150

Just do a Tyria run, set yourself some rules like, all the zones, set path, do all the events that you run into, do a certain amount of gathering and maybe revisit some nice vistas (or see them the first time if you dont have 100%), do 1 explorable dungeon run of every dungeon etc..

way more fun and money wise almost as rewarding, especially considering the price drops on t6 mats.

you wont be running into diminishing returns either probably and even though the game levels you down you will still be breezing through the lower level areas and thats quite a nice change

also experiment during this time with other builds as you really dont need to worry about dieing in areas below 70-80

this is gonna take you a while, believe me, split it for a week and then worry about something else (im not speaking to the thread starter btw)

oh and while you are at it, please try to get the jumping puzzles, they are the most beautiful locations in guild wars 2 by far (not all of them oviously)

Posted by: Raven Paradox.1860

Raven Paradox.1860

People in-game = This game is great!
People on forums – QQ I like worse games because I played WoW for 7 years.

Seriously, if you don’t like it, get out. This game still has tons of players playing it and enjoying it. We’re sick of the vocal minority thinking ArenaNet needs to cater to them because they rushed through all the content only going to use the bathroom, eat, and sleep when their mothers told them to while being disappointed in their child.

Game’s got problems every MMO has that can’t be fixed, but it’s not lacking content, it’s not lacking endgame, it’s far from boring, and none of the bugs make the game unplayable. The problem is you either rushed through it all or the game isn’t for you, in which means you need to just get out and go elsewhere. There are those like me that waited 5 years after playing GW1 since launch and are loving the hell out of this game. We don’t need things changed because morons on the forum have to QQ all the time.

Posted by: Jhu.3965

Jhu.3965

Yeah, it’s funny how different the forums are from the game.

If all you’re reading is the forums then you imagine GW2 to be an empty, bug filled game with nothing but bots grinding events.

If you’re just playing you know GW2 is a fun game with a good population, even in the mid level zones, and a healthy PvP scene.

Don’t read the forums, is what I’m saying here.

Posted by: Arvin.3124

Arvin.3124

As someone who played most major MMO´s, and a lot of WoW in that I think it is the WoW mentality that is hurting a lot of the players who complain in this thread.

I run a company so have no time to mindlessly grind my next pvp set only to find it obsolete with the next patch or expansion. I am sick and tired of the WoW gear>skill that is their pvp.

I find GW2 an utter breath of fresh air in this respect. I have plenty of reasons to visit lower level areas to help friends or find that elusive jumping puzzle for 100% completion. The crafting rocks.

The WvW is more of a gear/level check and a total blast if you have the rig to handle it properly, even though I get owned most of the times because I am still level 50 (sPvP is just too much fun oO).

SPvP is amazing, and I love the fact the only thing that sets you apart from someone who stuck 200 hours into it is your skill and cosmetics. I even love discovering new armor skins in it.

All in all, for every person saying they are leaving in this thread. I reckon there are 10 like me who are having a total blast.

I have hardly touched Torchlight 2, Diablo 3 or Borderlands 2 either because of Guild Wars 2.

I didn´t even talk about the great graphics and awesome music score.

Posted by: Amiron.1067

Amiron.1067

Yeah, it’s funny how different the forums are from the game.

If all you’re reading is the forums then you imagine GW2 to be an empty, bug filled game with nothing but bots grinding events.

If you’re just playing you know GW2 is a fun game with a good population, even in the mid level zones, and a healthy PvP scene.

Don’t read the forums, is what I’m saying here.

If -anyone- bases their judgement on a game by its forums, they seriously need a reality check.

This game is awesome. Probably why I’m not on the forums much

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

You forgot:

5. Take into consideration that this game just might not be for you, personally. ArenaNet said it best themselves; “If you love MMOs, you want to check out Guild Wars 2. And if you hate MMOs, you really want to check out Guild Wars 2”. Basically, Guild Wars 2 was primarily made for people that really don’t like MMOs. So if you love the original MMO structure, as seen in WoW, SWTOR, or Rift, then that’s probably why you don’t like Guild Wars 2. Which is perfectly fine. What isn’t fine, however, is coming in here and complaining that the game should change, because it’s not what you are use to from other MMOs. There is not going to be raids, or a gear treadmill. This is a game that’s trying to introduce something new to the genre.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Agerian.5302

Agerian.5302

I’m starting to feel a burnout with PVE but i’ve not yet started my quest to get legendary items. Got my ranger to lvl80 and master leatherworker mainly so I could craft good stuff for friends and my alts. Most importantly WvW is where i’m at most of the time I play. It’s a huge amount of and that’s generally where you find the most sociable people.

I will sympathise though, even though I’ve only done a few dungeons, i’ve experienced all the PVE bosses and feel everything should definitely be more dangerous.

Adding HP to them & mobs would be a ridiculously cheap attempt to fix it, if anything it would make it more boring. What I would do is add bigger bursts of damage, barely survival attacks. Make the 30+ people attacking the monster feel like it’s a genuine threat. A real struggle, just like when you start the game and wander haplessly into lvl6 or 7 mobs or just like in WvW when you meet a few invaders and you instantly know you probably won’t make it out alive.

Whiteside Ridge: [VCP] Rob Lockstar (lvl 80 Ranger)

Posted by: Apos.5184

Apos.5184

You forgot:

5. Take into consideration that this game just might not be for you, personally. ArenaNet said it best themselves; “If you love MMOs, you want to check out Guild Wars 2. And if you hate MMOs, you really want to check out Guild Wars 2”. Basically, Guild Wars 2 was primarily made for people that really don’t like MMOs. So if you love the original MMO structure, as seen in WoW, SWTOR, or Rift, then that’s probably why you don’t like Guild Wars 2. Which is perfectly fine. What isn’t fine, however, is coming in here and complaining that the game should change, because it’s not what you are use to from other MMOs. There is not going to be raids, or a gear treadmill. This is a game that’s trying to introduce something new to the genre.

Ye,sure, if someone was actually asking for that.

The common request is simple, we don’t want loot to be stripped away from us just cause, due to diminishing returns. Especially since it’s arenanet who introduced crafting proffessions that require such an extensive amount of the same materials that drop from the same type of monster. It’s not like we made that design ourselves you know.

And we are not the ones who decided that Orr should be populated with only one type of monster actually, making it a 30 minute theme park for the players before starting to ignore them. (and same goes to WvW, because hey, bots obviously do that as well, so why bother deactivating the code for those battlegrounds, right?)

Generalize the complains all you want, they don’t come from the same people.

If someone wants raids, then obviously he is asking for a different game, if someone wants to look for gear over and over again, then the same goes. If someone wants to just have a stop on the game punishing his legit actions that are within the game limits, then there is nothing wrong with complaining.

(edited by Apos.5184)

Posted by: callaleonard.1728

callaleonard.1728

The game is great, but the lack of endgame makes me kind of like “what now?”

Bonsai
West-Coast guild on Dragonbrand.
http://bonsaiguild.com

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

I’m liking the game so far, but I have one complaint for the most part. Their whole focus was letting us play the way we want to play, so instead they give us fixed skill bars with fixed strategies for those skill bars. The professions have watered down roles, which essentially makes team aspects of the games like 5 year olds ymca soccer, aka a zergfest. They say roles are no fun which is their opinion, but is ok since it is their game. I like that my main character can choose to switch roles, but none of them feel particularly effective at them. Roles are the most efficient ways to complete tasks, just look at work environments, bee colonies and ant colonies. I feel like those insects have this kitten more figured out then Anet.

People are going to divide into roles because it is most effective. Since they don’t give us the resources to make those roles effective enough, they aren’t fun. It’s sorta a shame.

Posted by: Derpinator.2894

Derpinator.2894

I for one am not losing interest in what’s here. I never had much interest in what turned out to be here. I was interested in what was promised by the company, which it has utterly failed to deliver so far.

There have been many threads about the differences between the manifesto and the delivered game so I won’t go into it, but I suspect that people with theories like, “This isn’t the game for you.” and the “MMO locusts always go to what’s new” and the “just wait, they’ll fix it” and the “this is different than other MMO’s” and “there is no gear grind” and all the others that support the game as it exists, either didn’t get exposed to the manifesto, ignored it, or never cared and just wanted another arenanet product because for whatever reason, the shine has worn off of GW1.

There is nothing revolutionary or even different about this game. It’s a massive time suck with beautiful artwork. It’s a digital museum featuring the work of a highly talented group of people.

And what others of my ilk are and have been looking for is a world to be a part of.

That’s what was promised. It’s not what was delivered.

Thus, loss of interest, with very little hope of redemption by the developers.

But they talked a good enough game that I’ll check back occasionally. I already paid for it, so no harm in it.

Posted by: phototed.6192

phototed.6192

It’s a healthy thing to take a break from anything that you are doing. If you feel like this is just a solo game, play with friends or make new friends with other players.

I am enjoying the game even with my main close to hitting 80. It’s a game. And I am enjoying the fact that I am not devoting my waking hours to it to “get” things in it.

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

While I wouldn’t call myself a Vet I’ve been playing MMO’s for the last ten years and rpg’s the last 20. I’m pretty disappointed too, got my Ele and Guardian to 80, working on a Mesmer now. The impulse to log in just isn’t there. I’ll likely go back to The Secret World and here I was rooting for GW2 to take the crown. Perhaps the DR fix will help since running a dungeon now has a point, albeit a long and boring one.

Anet get spies to play TSW and take notes of how they do their dungeons please.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

Posted by: GenericName.5046

GenericName.5046

If your bored…. don’t play.
But i really don’t get how people say there is no end-game… the whole thing is end game.
Spvp and WvW keep me very enertained at lvl 80. Dungeons are fun and challenging as well, and those kitten jumping puzzles are actually fun too. I especially like the jumping puzzle in WvW, nothing like using traps on enemies in a Indiana Jones style area.
Besides that i find the gameplay a blast, also playing different classes, quest and exploring is very cool too.
It seems most poeple want a very long painful gear grind, or a grind to max level. At the same time these poeple dont want a grind. So they are kinda at odds.
Anways im having fun, if you’re not stop playing very simple.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Too many of you came to GW2 with too lofty an expectation of what it would deliver, an over-awed anticipation that could never be reasonably satisfied. But then you know that, you’ve done it before right?

Actually the game delivered exactly what I expected it would and what they said it would.
I’m pretty satisfied, the game just needs some debugging and tweaking in a couple sectors.

All the people I’ve seen so far claiming the game hasn’t delivered what they expected were people who expected things Anet never told we should expect; just look at the amount of threads about raids, lack of gear treadmill etc.
I wish people paid a bit more attention to informations about a product they purchase – or at least not complain when they make an uninformed purchase.

Not saying if the game is good bad etc, that is subjective.
I love MMA, my friend hates it. Matter of tastes. And ability to take some beating :p

Posted by: Lunesta.3742

Lunesta.3742

The key to any MMO (or used to be) was the community that was created.

IMO, they need server forums (maybe they will when free transfers stop). In many MMOs, those are THE most visited forums and it’s the people you meet that keep you sticking around.

Librium – Elementalist – IoJ

Posted by: Runar.1342

Runar.1342

I’m really sorry to say that I opted for #1 in the OP’s post but when I came back I found the PvE content just as dull (if not more so due to other people kept playing and moved out of the area so now i’m more alone) as it was prior to taking a break.

I really don’t feel like I’m working towards anything in the game, it’s too easy to max level and crafting sucks kittens (spelled, kittens) since this is not really a gear driven game so why even bother to craft.

The different quests/hearts whatever you’d like them to be named are dull, especially after doing them the first time and seeing and participating in them multiple times.

I don’t find the enemy to be exciting at all thus far, it just feels like some other skin has been placed on a mob that they’ve added a couple more 0’s to it’s HP. No real diversity in action to me.

Honestly, I think if they wanted to make the really big bucks which everybody does, they really should have gone with a more gear driven game. Just my opinion.

If your bored…. don’t play.
But i really don’t get how people say there is no end-game… the whole thing is end game.
Spvp and WvW keep me very entertained at lvl 80. Dungeons are fun and challenging as well, and those kitten jumping puzzles are actually fun too. I especially like the jumping puzzle in WvW, nothing like using traps on enemies in a Indiana Jones style area.

Unfortunately, I don’t think that a lot of people understood that would be the end game, not everybody is into pvp or wvw but would rather just have more game content in PvE.

I knew what this MMO’s end game was going to be and quite honestly I’m considering this game to be less and less of an MMO at all, but rather just a persistent multiplayer gigantic world, to me MMO’s will have regular content updates.

Yeah I know, we don’t pay a monthly, but that is the choice that Anet made with GW2, not ours. If it doesn’t afford them to keep adding onto the game in a timely manner then it’s a lost cause to me, the non PvP’er, non WvW’er.

I’ve not quit completely, when I’m super bored I’m sure I’ll come back to see what has changed, what has been added, but in general GW2 isn’t take up nearly as much of my play time as I had originally thought/hoped it would do.

(edited by Runar.1342)

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

Whats wrong with killing bunnies?

Little feral pests are every where, ranger raven pet a torch and a good supply of bunnies i can keep a 33% speed buff up for ages

If bunnies wernt ment to be burnt they wouldnt be flamable.

Ulfar SOR

Posted by: fen.3102

fen.3102

Not max level yet so I dunno, but isn’t GW2 about PVP? Like you kill other playesr ala Counter Strike except with magical weapons and kitten. You never hear ppl say “I’m so bored of CS there is nothing to do”