Losing interest...for the third time

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Valderius Rex.4108

Valderius Rex.4108

I’ve played this game since day 1 (broken trading post and all) and twice in the past I’ve taken extended absences due to a lack of compelling reasons to keep playing. Sure, it’s nice to have 6-12 months of content to work through when I get back, but I very quickly feel like I’ve run out of things to do. Silverwastes was great for a while and fractals held my interest for a while but I can only do the same content so many times.

PvP doesn’t do it for me either. WvW feels like a disorganized mess and sPvP, while better, doesn’t offer a significantly better PvP experience than something like league of legends.

In a world where balance changes are slow, (condition builds made viable YEARS after the game’s release) poorly tested, (massively overpowered burn stacks, gamebreaking guardian sigil bug/exploit) or outright broken (non-functional traits everywhere, incorrect tooltips are common, and…rangers…) What keeps you motivated to play?

I like the core experience of GW2, but I don’t feel like Anet is really dedicated to making sure their game continues to improve…except as far as new cash shop cosmetics are concerned. As more and more content starts to vanish behind pay walls (living world season 2, the heart of thorns “expansion”) I find myself wondering if GW2 has a future as a game worth playing.

Posted by: Tiger.9786

Tiger.9786

“I don’t feel like Anet is really dedicated to making sure their game continues to improve”
They’ve said they’re gonna be rolling out balance patches frequently in the coming weeks up to launch of the expansion or something like that.

“expansion” – Yes it’s an expansion even if it’s small in zones. There’s still some features being added. It’s more of a setup for making the game better overall and less of a “here take this whole new continent” expansion. I’m too tired to explain why that’s ok because I’m not even sure as I stare at the wall with one eye losing focus.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve lost interest too. I don’t play much atm but do have some hopes for the xpac

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Can you tell me a game that does regularly add enough content that after 3 years players still have new things to do, and doesn’t charge for it?

Also as far as taking a break goes that’s not a bad thing. I’ve often seen people say that one of the benefits of GW2 not having a sub is that players can come and go as they want without worrying about wasting money or having that barrier to re-entry when they come back. That’s definitely a selling point for me. I’ve not taken any long breaks but there will be weeks and months when I don’t play much, either because I’m too busy with other things or just because I’d rather play another game.

I’m unconvinced that any game could constantly occupy someone for years on end without them getting bored so I don’t see any harm in taking breaks. Especially now when we can be reasonably sure there won’t be much/any new content before HoT comes out.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

It may simply be that this game isn’t/no longer what you’re looking for, and all that’s drawing you back is prior time investment. There’s nothing wrong with ceasing to play a game you no longer enjoy, especially if there are other games out there that do what you actually want better (you named LoL)

Don’t be so quick to dismiss wvw though. if you’re in the top two tiers of servers it can be a very engaging tactical experience – this might require you to pay to realm transfer, though, which given your expressed dissatisfaction with the game mode might be asking too much.

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

Honestly, I would welcome a couple of large expansions, but this mini-expansion for $50 hasn’t really gotten me interested. I’m higly disappointed on the LS2 being a paid feature and not being included in the “expansion.” I don’t do micro-purchases with cash in games; it’s a bad habit, and one that GW2 originally claimed to want to avoid. (Yeah sure…)

Games just aren’t made to be played 24/7 like they used to be, the “end-game” is the “in-game store.” It’s just the ghost of the times.

Posted by: foxcat.4096

foxcat.4096

Living story 2 was free all you had to do was log in during the period that a chapter was current and you would have it unlocked forever. The option to buy it was just for people who missed out and even then you can just do it with a friend who has the story unlocked and not pay anything.

You say you don’t do micro-purchases that’s fine you can get access to every single thing in the game without spending a cent besides the initial purchase. You should just be happy their is no monthly fee and the people that use the gem store are the ones paying for the new content in which you can enjoy.

Posted by: Doflamingo.6957

Doflamingo.6957

The only thing they need to do is bring the kitten game to Steam already were tired having it abandoned here come on bring it on Steam kitten

Posted by: Sir Meta.3402

Sir Meta.3402

As long as it is not steam only. I hate steam.

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

I’ve played this game since day 1 (broken trading post and all) and twice in the past I’ve taken extended absences due to a lack of compelling reasons to keep playing. Sure, it’s nice to have 6-12 months of content to work through when I get back, but I very quickly feel like I’ve run out of things to do. Silverwastes was great for a while and fractals held my interest for a while but I can only do the same content so many times.

PvP doesn’t do it for me either. WvW feels like a disorganized mess and sPvP, while better, doesn’t offer a significantly better PvP experience than something like league of legends.

In a world where balance changes are slow, (condition builds made viable YEARS after the game’s release) poorly tested, (massively overpowered burn stacks, gamebreaking guardian sigil bug/exploit) or outright broken (non-functional traits everywhere, incorrect tooltips are common, and…rangers…) What keeps you motivated to play?

I like the core experience of GW2, but I don’t feel like Anet is really dedicated to making sure their game continues to improve…except as far as new cash shop cosmetics are concerned. As more and more content starts to vanish behind pay walls (living world season 2, the heart of thorns “expansion”) I find myself wondering if GW2 has a future as a game worth playing.

If GW2 has a future as a game worth playing? What does this mean? Any game you play doesn’t mean squat in real life. Play when you feel like playing and don’t when you’re bored. You shouldn’t be playing if you feel it’s wasting your time. In fact, honestly, no video game is actually worthwhile.

Why did you have to make a thread.to dramatize “I’m bored?”

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

It’s hard to have faith when they fail time and again to put forward changes that even hint at basic understanding of game balance.

Posted by: Stiofan.6720

Stiofan.6720

Can you tell me a game that does regularly add enough content that after 3 years players still have new things to do, and doesn’t charge for it?

Off the top of my head, All f2p and still popular:

Linage 2 (2003), Aion (2008), Rift (2011), Tera (2011).

I’m sure there’s at least a half a dozen more.

Posted by: Toxophile.6215

Toxophile.6215

I’m unconvinced that any game could constantly occupy someone for years on end without them getting bored ….

I played SWG for about 3 years non-stop. I put in at least 14 hours a week, and was not playing any other game during that time. But then, I was a crafter/merchant/miner/guild leader/mayor, and always had lots to do (and I was younger and had less responsibilities, heh). The point is that if the game has enough gameplay options, players will find more to do. I think GW2 is in a decent enough place though. It was never meant to be a sandbox. I just took a year+ break, and should find enough to keep me busy for a little bit. Well, once I figure out the trait change stuff.

To be honest, I think they should put some effort into the guild structure and functions to make it easier for guilds to succeed, and also to let us customize our home instances dramatically. Those two things could help make the game a little stickier.