Lost Shores heads up....

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Clone.2874

Clone.2874

@Clone

The one time event is one time for everyone, so that way it cannot be spoiled across time zones.

I’d be interested to see if most people here go to church, never mind if most people are still at church at that time. Also, 12 noon PST is 3pm noon EST, I doubt that people will be in church that late? Anyway, not trying to start a religious debate (Definitely not the place for that), I am just saying that might not be the best argument against noon for the event.

Personally, noon on Sunday is one of the most ideal times for me to log in.

Also… if you were there at the halloween event, you know that you had 2 full days to run the Mad King dungeon. The only thing missed at noon was a pretty cool cut-scene (easily watchable on youtube). This cannot be repeatable, because it wouldn’t make sense. The cutscene opened the gateway to the dungeon.

ANet, I think you are doing a fantastic job with these events. I love that some things are one-time. Even if I miss them, it makes the world feel more real and dynamic. Cheers

Please understand. the fact I brought up about church was simply directed towards the topic of concurrency in the amount of people online nothing to do with a debate on who goes and doesn’t. You can log on at those times and see how dead the servers are compared to 5-6 est look at wvw and cursed shore karma farm spots. nice that it suits you though.

I believe that the talk about player concurrency is bunk I think this is the best time for ANet workers simple as that so just say it.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: melkathi.5203

melkathi.5203

I find it funny that they designate some servers “euro” and some “north american” .. yet run world events all at the same time? … what was the point of splitting them?

and would it hurt to designate one or two an “Asian/Australian” server and have events on our time?

Seeing how many american players complain about people asking for just a little consideration (had an argument in my guild about it), apparently it would hurt some people a LOT if others were given a chance to enjoy the content

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I am actually one of the lucky ones who can be on at the specified time, so I am not speaking for my own advantage.

1. Highest concurrency
If the ‘one time event’ is arranged 24 hours earlier, on Saturday, people will come. They will make an exception for the event instead of other fun, if they deem it important. And the enthusiasts in Oceania will get up early on a Sunday morning to see it.

2. If the ‘one time event’ is, like the Mad King Explosion, a cinematic scene, can a copy not be made to play for every player when they next log in the game? Or give them the option to view it? (Youtube just does not capture the moment. The videos are small and not high res.)

Not every single player can ever be on at the same time, but having the events always at the time that so many people need to be at work/school, is not a good policy. Someone is going to miss out, but it would be more fair if it weren’t always the same someone.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: melkathi.5203

melkathi.5203

I think its good to have events that you can miss it gives the game a life of its own and not a life of “this game only happens when i am on” feeling. Its like its own world though there are ppl who think the the real life world dose not go on with out them.

Real life doesn’t go on without me
I took one day off to sort some personal things out and I still got an emergency call from the office…
And I thought quitting architecture and supervision of construction sites would give me a respite from that. grumble grumble Building sites, now that’s a thing that really doesn’t go on without you

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

2. If the ‘one time event’ is, like the Mad King Explosion, a cinematic scene, can a copy not be made to play for every player when they next log in the game? Or give them the option to view it? (Youtube just does not capture the moment. The videos are small and not high res.)

FYI…The announcement indicates that it’s a “onetime only event chain that will run multiple hours” (emphasis mine).

If the one-time event were just a cinematic scene like the Mad King Explosion, I don’t think as many folks would be in such a tiff. A cinematic is something that can be easily be caught after the fact on YouTube (yeah, the res sucks, but you still can see it). But folks aren’t too thrilled they’re going to be missing a game changing event chain (i.e. playable content) because it’s only available for “multiple hours.”

I’d personally prefer these one-time events be handled in a similar fashion as the Halloween event (at a minimum). At least with the Mad King Dungeon, it was a one-time cinematic followed by a limited-time dungeon that was available for several days. Cinematics as one-time events, no worries! Folks can easily catch those after the fact.

But IMHO, any “game-changing” playable content should be offered for at least a couple days so all players in all time zones and work schedules have a chance to experience it. ‘Cause even though this is being offered at the time with highest concurrency, a significant portion of the playerbase is going to miss out on this one-time event chain. There are some obligations that folks just can’t work around…out-of-town trips, work, family obligations, sleep (for those non-NA players), etc. Sure it’s impossible for ArenaNet to make it convenient for everybody and there’s always going to be someone who is disappointed because they missed it. But the least ArenaNet could do is increase the odds that more players can experience playable content by offering it for a bit longer than “multiple hours.”

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Replect.3407

Replect.3407

If the out-come of those one-time events are really effecting what permanent stuff will be/stay in the game, then I’m all for those one-time events, even if I’m not able to be part of them…
If such one-time events are going to happen on regular base that would actually be quite awesome, if all the time different players were able to experience things that nobody else aftwards is able to discover, just being able to read/watch the history…
Actually my biggest wish is, make those stuff (actually more events in general) challenging and something you really have to fight (together) for your live and the success of the events… Failure aren’t the end of the world, they just give you different options. You have this actual great option, use it!

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

to note, again, i am of the stance that they SHOULD do these one-time events. this is my first MMO, so i am not included in the general public that have been asking for these events for how many years. and i am not bagging the game in any way. rather, offering suggestions from my perspective of how to better capture even more potential audience as opposed to just going based off of the “highest concurrence” times. just would like to see better scheduling choices that would at least give a chance to a i want to say pretty darn large population of the game to try to make these type of events going forward.

i guess it’s hard to say who is playing the most at what times, and where (when) these people are playing. but i can’t imagine moving the finale a day forward at least, Noon Saturday PST, Saturday pm EST, and Sunday for all Europe / Asia.. again, this is based on the assumption that most of us have work / school on Monday. which is of course, not the case, but perhaps a good portion.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: phabby.8945

phabby.8945

If you ppl in the usa actually realize that here in Australia we get riped to the hilt by gaming companies constantly, We pay alot more for games even with our dollar being equal or better then yours, so why can’t we have equality in the game .
Sure time zones are effectively set for peak usage but really have a look at how many Aussie and Asian players there are, and to say just deal with it shows just how immature you are, when you grow up and get a job , see if your boss would then let you have time off for an event.

Why cannot Anet just make it so a player can have the opportunity to to do the event chain once per account, which would make it fair for everyone world wide to enjoy this great game to its fullest, without all the privileges going to a select few.

cheers

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Wendigo.7931

Wendigo.7931

We run one-time events at the time where we have the highest concurrency.

But people who cannot play at the time of highest concurrency paid for the game too.

Now, if there are no items or achievements or anything permanent associated with participating in these events, then the occasional “be there or be square” event is forgivable. Occasional. Like, once per lunar eclipse (over Seattle). Otherwise, if you want frequent one-time world changing events, you did it wrong as GW2 is not EVE.

If any one of the monthlies are tied to this, if the work we have already sunk into putting up with WvW and/or dungeons (’cause there are people who dislike both here) is undermined by a monthly “Run the One-Time Event” requirement, then puppy you! Go and puppy yourselves in the puppy puppy until your puppy puppies puppies. Puppy.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Shifty.5187

Shifty.5187

But people who cannot play at the time of highest concurrency paid for the game too.

So the relatively few should ruin it for the relatively many?

People sometimes can’t get what they want while others do. Let’s not ruin the possibility for something truly awesome.

Also, perhaps we should delay the complaints to after the event. The same issue was discussed before the Mad King event, and that didn’t turn out to be a big deal. This time it will be at least somewhat different, but perhaps nothing worth getting butthurt over.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

A little question to people talking about having the finale on Saturday:

You do know that would mean Friday event would need to start on Thursday right?
And the Saturday event would start on Friday.

Wouldn’t that mean even more people would miss out on stuff?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Wendigo.7931

You don’t know that it’s the “many” at all. This is the time of highest concurrency, which is not the same as the time when 50%+1 or greater are on.

People sometimes can’t get what they want while others do. Let’s not ruin the possibility for something truly awesome.

I looked up the definition for awesome. Strangely, I can’t find the part where it occurs in a narrow time window. Can you point it out for me? Are you looking at Websters or Oxford for that?

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: konggorilla.2643

konggorilla.2643

Finale at 3 am Monday morning for me….

I bet there’s a ton of people from the oceanic/asian area that will be sitting this one out as well.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Shifty.5187

You don’t know that it’s the “many” at all. This is the time of highest concurrency, which is not the same as the time when 50%+1 or greater are on.

The comparison here is to have one-time events for as many people as possible, or none at all. Some cannot experience it, so nobody can have it. That’s the attitude, the silly attitude.

I guess the issue that’s up for discussion is whether or not they should hold the event at different times and let it occur several times, but that of course detracts from the awesomeness of the event.

I’d agree with you if they really offered something of great value during this event. But in all likelihood it is at best an achievement (and the experience) , and that simply does not make it worth not doing the event.

I looked up the definition for awesome. Strangely, I can’t find the part where it occurs in a narrow time window. Can you point it out for me? Are you looking at Websters or Oxford for that?

/ignore for being a kitten.

(edited by Shifty.5187)

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

With all due respect, that doesn’t really account for the players who are heavily invested in the game and the lore in particular. As a role-player and lore fan, I love seeing events unfold in real time. I’m lucky enough to be able to be around when they occur, but I can only imagine the sheer frustration that like-minded players who cannot make it endure.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I do feel a little troubled by a supposedly ‘innovative’ game taking the ‘majority rules’ approach.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Darknass.1903

Darknass.1903

I looked up the definition for awesome. Strangely, I can’t find the part where it occurs in a narrow time window. Can you point it out for me? Are you looking at Websters or Oxford for that?[/quote]

If it happened repeatedly the “awesomeness” of it would most likely diminish. I would rather witness something exceedingly epic that was scripted to only happen once rather then something that is much less fun that happens every couple of hours or something.

HoD – Ranger, Ele, Guard, Engie.

“The best defense is a strong offense.”

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

lordkrall.7241

With all due respect, that doesn’t really account for the players who are heavily invested in the game and the lore in particular. As a role-player and lore fan, I love seeing events unfold in real time. I’m lucky enough to be able to be around when they occur, but I can only imagine the sheer frustration that like-minded players who cannot make it endure.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I do feel a little troubled by a supposedly ‘innovative’ game taking the ‘majority rules’ approach.

I am also a role-player and lore fan and as of now I have no idea if I will be able to attend. And yet I have no problem with it.

Being a role-player however I would personally HATE to have world-changing events repeated several times. That would totally destroy the whole RP part in my eyes.

When you RP you are the character, if the character is not there when something doesn’t happen they are simply not there.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Wendigo.7931

If it happened repeatedly the “awesomeness” of it would most likely diminish. I would rather witness something exceedingly epic that was scripted to only happen once rather then something that is much less fun that happens every couple of hours or something.

“Repeatedly.” Where does this word come from? I read my post, and yet cannot find it.

You people have very narrow definitions of what is “awesome.” To me, awesome is I’m walking around in Timberline Falls, and suddenly a dragon swoops down and starts tearing puppies up, without any announcement ahead of time that something like that was going to happen. THAT is awesome. These announced events that must always happen on a Sunday because of ANet’s agreement with Dragon Minions Local 137? Decidedly less awesome. I mean, they’re on the clock. They’re The Man. That’s a 50% awesome tax right there.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Shifty.5187

“Repeatedly.” Where does this word come from? I read my post, and yet cannot find it.

You people have very narrow definitions of what is “awesome.” To me, awesome is I’m walking around in Timberline Falls, and suddenly a dragon swoops down and starts tearing puppies up, without any announcement ahead of time that something like that was going to happen. THAT is awesome. These announced events that must always happen on a Sunday because of ANet’s agreement with Dragon Minions Local 137? Decidedly less awesome. I mean, they’re on the clock. They’re The Man. That’s a 50% awesome tax right there.

I agree that that is freakin’ awesome. But an epic event that happens only once and causes a permanent change in the world, well that’s also awesome.

Let’s just have both.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Wendigo.7931

I agree that that is freakin’ awesome. But an epic event that happens only once and causes a permanent change in the world, well that’s also awesome.

Let’s just have both.

Agreed. But this isn’t an epic event, as it lasts all of two hours.

You must be 24 hours to qualify as epic. Otherwise, you’re a poser.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Shifty.5187

Agreed. But this isn’t an epic event, as it lasts all of two hours.

You must be 24 hours to qualify as epic. Otherwise, you’re a poser.

Haha. Baby steps. The Mad King one-time event was a lame cutscene (sorry Anet) that wasn’t even working right for me since I only saw some smoke and flashy lights. Now this one is two-hours. We’ll get there!

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Miss Sugarific.8471

Miss Sugarific.8471

That’s great for all the americans then… Will we get special aussie one-time events? >.> The final event is happening right in the middle of a monday for me. I wouldn’t really mind, but why can’t it be extended so you cover all the time zones for appropriate playing times? Is that hard….?

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

MAD KING Event 1 Time Event!!!!!!!!

Pacific Players Panic, What Will Happen? I’ll Quit if I Cannot Be a Part of the One Time Event!

Event comes, its a brief cinematic. Feel like you missed anything? Probably not.

Queue November One Time Event:

OH NO ILL MISS THE ONE TIME EVENT!!

Its probably another brief cinematic, signalling to players that they can now enter the new instance. You wont miss anything, im sure the cinematic can be viewed on utube again only minutes after it happens live.

Ummm…

The event will culminate in a big Finale on Sunday November 18, make sure you will not miss it. This will be a onetime only event chain that will run multiple hours, and it will kick off at noon PST (20:00 GMT). Again, this will only run once, so make sure you will be there!

Emphasis mine.

If this one-time event goes down exactly as described, this is going to be an event chain. Not just a cinematic. And I find that problematic.

One that all of the Oceanic players are going to miss.

Depending on the length of that chain, I think a lot of European players as well. It will start at 21:00 on mainland Europe and 22:00 on the eastern part of Europe. If that chain lasts 3 to 4 hours, I bet a lot of European players who have a job will quit halfway through..

Oceanic players might see the end of it while European players see the start and only the American players will see it completely.

Naturally, if it’s an event that must be done only then and can’t be repeated. If it’s more like the Mad King’s breaking out, it’s only a cinematic you’d be missing, the event chain could be done afterwards…

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Robbyx.1284

Robbyx.1284

You know why no other MMO uses one time events any more ? because they are extremely divisive and a very bad idea…run them for a week so all customers can take part, or dont do it at all.
For a game that likes to tout its “innovation”, GW2 sure has taken some giant leaps backward.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I still think they should make these visual one-time events so they can be replayed inside an instance by talking to an NPC and asking about what happened there.

It’ll solve the problem altogether, and also make sense lorewise. If you miss something, you can ask those who were around at that moment.

And since the event is already made, they ‘only’ have to create a way to replay it inside an instance.

It may not be a big deal for many people (the king thorn kept appearing every now and then) but others want to see the cinematic with the camera movements and the letterbox, and for them it’s not the same without that.

While the amount of complaints in this thread with which I don’t agree is significant, I find it curious what will become of this one-time special event chain if it becomes bugged in the middle…

Considering how many and how often events get bugged in Baruch Bay (I haven’t seen the Behemoth in over a month, and many events that update notes say are supposedly fixed are still bugged in Baruch) It also worries me how highly probable that is. In Baruch we had the Pumkin doors bugged hours before the first one bugged in another world.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: obiemvy.5632

obiemvy.5632

I wonder if there would be a way for a special “Time Travel” Asuran portal to be implemented, that would create an instance of the one time events of the past, so that people can participate in them, even if they miss the original.

Just an idea… would allow some people to participate in the one time events they missed, without breaking the realism of the world of Tyria.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: rta.7563

rta.7563

I was standing there at work yesterday staring at my weekend schedule wondering, “Ok…who can I shift swap with to make these events…nobody…danggit.”

Maybe ArenaNet can have an Asuran pretend like he is filming the event with some sort of video camera for folks to watch later…like an Asuran newscaster or something. Make a Youtube series out of them.

Maybe set up some sort of in-game kiosk that would kick out in-game event news videos? Something that could keep you in character but still provide up to date event news.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Kodama.9417

Kodama.9417

Yeah I don’t like them. They run them when the most people are on. Does that mean that they are running them when the majority of people do not work during these times.

Does that mean that they are excluding those who have the ability to pay for items during such events?

If it is some video sequence I miss out on, I could care less. But to miss actual quests, is bad form.

I think they should really re-think the logic behind these timed specific events. I manage to do all of the Halloween one, because I was given the time. So that I could play around my work schedule.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: CelticWish.2314

CelticWish.2314

Just think if Dynamic Events were really dynamic, that would make them one-timers.

That is what people wanted from their DE’s. But (In Jeff Goldbloom’s voice) would they then find out they were missing something only others saw and feel they were short changed? Going by feedback here, yes!

So that is what I’m reading. We ask for live developer events in mmo’s as a dream feature, but when they happen (next to never) you are always going to have people that will miss it. If you are going to complain about it, then just assume you will always have to go collect 10 boar kitten and return to Elma so she can make stew for her sick uncle quests. Because that is all you deserve.

I hear Macy’s has a sale going on soon at their stores only, how can this be? I cannot make it.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Wendigo.7931

So that is what I’m reading. We ask for live developer events in mmo’s as a dream feature, but when they happen (next to never) you are always going to have people that will miss it.

It is not that some people will miss an event. It is that, as per ANets current policy, the same people will miss every event. That’s bad. That’s wrong.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Phima.6134

Phima.6134

Have to agree having one off events always at the same time is a pretty bad idea and not particularly fair on players in certain regions. Either run them several times in a day or run them at a variety of different times to give everyone a chance to get to some of the events.

And no, I’m not sulking that I miss out, 12pm PST Sunday is a perfect time for me, I just don’t believe the world revolves around me and think that other players should have a chance at having their share of the events.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Niteip.8301

Niteip.8301

Geez why does everyone sound like spoiled little brats. Life is not fair you are not going to be able to make every event. I was fortunate for the Halloween event. this one I work everyday and it does not bug me cause this is what makes the game great are events like this but I don’t expect that I can do them all. And stop speculating the future you have no idea how the next event will go down after this one. crying about the one after Lost Shore is a waste of your time and energy when we don’t know how it is going to be. for all we know they will stop these events because of everyone crying that they cant make it how. “how unfair” cry cry cry.

Stop and be glad that they do stuff like this. You will miss some and make it to some events, that’s if they continue to do this type of cool stuff. If we are not appreciative I bet they go away someday in the future.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

To reiterate, I don’t mind them doing one time events, but I think they should consider the following.

1. US and EU should have their own event start times. It’s simply not cool to favour one timezone over another. Trying to accommodate both timezones just creates headaches for players (trust me, my work partner is in UK and it’s always a pain).

2. Put up a calendar with events (even if they’re tentative). Most people, given enough time can plan for these things.

3. Consider the time requirements to participate. If the start and end of an event are one time only things that require participation (not a cutscene), then space out the events so they’re easier for people to attend.

There is really nothing wrong with one time events. When I played Batman: Arkham City, I had to talk to Calendar man every holiday for a year. I played the game for a few hours those days because I was able to plan well ahead for them.

Players won’t mind missing a few events, but ANet needs to be flexible and transparent.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

I remember in the days leading up to the Mad King reveal the forum was full of people raging and calling favoritism and threatening to quit playing if they couldn’t access the stuff the people that attended could access. Players were calling players names, players were calling Anet names. Life isn’t fair, Money grubbers, entitlement…it was a blood bath. Even Australia and Canada got involved, and they never really get involved in anything.

It was Nerd-rage-ageddon.

You know what happened? A 15 second, non-interactive, in-engine cut scene that sort of bugged out for a lot of people.

In the wake of that event forum warriors picked themselves up, dusted themselves off, spit out some loose teeth, and realized that most of them looked like total morons after the fits they threw over it. And then…the conflict was forgotten. The rational and reasonable side not allowed to post “I told you so. …idiots.” because it was against the forum rules, and all of the opposed sort of skulked away silently not wanting to bring attention again to their wild accusations and speculation.

Let us learn from our history. Because you’re all doing it again. >.<

Just be nice and let’s see what happens and enjoy the content that our real lives allow us to enjoy with the understanding sometimes your schedule will work out and sometimes it won’t.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Kodama.9417

Kodama.9417

Geez why does everyone sound like spoiled little brats. Life is not fair you are not going to be able to make every event. I was fortunate for the Halloween event. this one I work everyday and it does not bug me cause this is what makes the game great are events like this but I don’t expect that I can do them all. And stop speculating the future you have no idea how the next event will go down after this one. crying about the one after Lost Shore is a waste of your time and energy when we don’t know how it is going to be. for all we know they will stop these events because of everyone crying that they cant make it how. “how unfair” cry cry cry.

Stop and be glad that they do stuff like this. You will miss some and make it to some events, that’s if they continue to do this type of cool stuff. If we are not appreciative I bet they go away someday in the future.

Anyone who works Sunday will never be able to attend these events. Because that is when most people are on. And that is when they will run the events. So we would be thankful for one time events that we never get to attend?

I honestly don’t think anyone is acting like a spoiled little brat, if they just want the opportunity to enjoy the same content as the rest of the players. I think with the Halloween one the issue was those without power. That was an outside issue, which could not be helped. However when they plan these events, and it does exclude those players who can’t play in such a short period of time. It is within their control to adjust it, so everyone can enjoy the festivities.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Oldbugga.7029

Oldbugga.7029

We in the Antipodes always cop this (remember WoW anyone)….it is the Sunday (PT)/Monday ( Oceanic work-time) issue we have all experienced before and unfortunately numbers rule apparently….if we are not from the USA or Euro then bad luck…

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Geez why does everyone sound like spoiled little brats. Life is not fair you are not going to be able to make every event.

The issue isn’t about people not being able to make every event it’s about some people not being able to make any of them.

^ Basically this. If ANet had made it so that the events started at 9pm +8 GMT (making it 3am for PDT US players) EVERY single time, resulting in people on the West Coast of the US being constantly unable to make each event, wouldn’t you think they’d be upset too?

Yes, if these “one-time events” turn to be nothing more than 30 second cutscenes each and every time, you’re not really missing much, but watching a video on Youtube isn’t the same as actually BEING there, any more than watching a music video of Justin Bieber (sorry, first name that popped into my head!) is the same as attending one of his concerts.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

lordkrall.7241

So, some people simply want them to do event that the vast majority of players will miss, just so a small minority will be able to compete in it?

I might have missed something but I thought it was better for a company to cater to the majority and the the vocal minority?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Zaxares.5419

So, some people simply want them to do event that the vast majority of players will miss, just so a small minority will be able to compete in it?

I might have missed something but I thought it was better for a company to cater to the majority and the the vocal minority?

Well, we could mix it up! How about the Lost Shores event kicks off at 12 noon PDT, Day 2 kicks off at 12 noon UTC, and Day 3 kicks off at 12 noon +8 UTC? That way, everybody gets to miss one event! :P

No. What most people are suggesting is that ANet move to a system closer to what they used in GW1, either a repeatable event that occurs every 3 hours for a 24 hour period, or perhaps an “instant-replay” NPC where you can talk to an NPC (with your party) and be taken to an instance where you can play out what happened earlier.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

lordkrall.7241

Well, we could mix it up! How about the Lost Shores event kicks off at 12 noon PDT, Day 2 kicks off at 12 noon UTC, and Day 3 kicks off at 12 noon +8 UTC? That way, everybody gets to miss one event! :P

No. What most people are suggesting is that ANet move to a system closer to what they used in GW1, either a repeatable event that occurs every 3 hours for a 24 hour period, or perhaps an “instant-replay” NPC where you can talk to an NPC (with your party) and be taken to an instance where you can play out what happened earlier.

It would only work if instanced.

The main problem with that system is the fact that it would require massive amount of extra work. And it might not even be possible to do with the current code.

And by the sound of it I would think that these events actually need rather many people. So even if people could replay it they might not be able to do it anyway.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

again, not saying this is a bad idea. not saying i don’t want thes eone-time events. and i seem like i am complaining, but that’s not my intention. i have already made plans to sleep early, then wake up and play til i have to work. i’ve no qualms with that. rather just more concerned with ANet’s approach to this? as in, i think it could be done better. and how they’re goign to keep doing this in the future. if they are aiming for dynamic and one-time, a little variation to the time when these would be appreciated, after all, it’s supposed to be one-time, dynamic things, no?. i see the flip-side as well, if it’s always the same time, people will know what to expect.

i guess big picture bottom-line is: you can’t please everyone. and there will always be people who miss out and will be upset. but with that said, it doesn’t mean you should just ignore those who voice their opinions.

and someone mentioned having the finale on saturday is a bad idea. Saturday evening PST, which would mean Friday evening PST, and Thursday evening PST. isn’t this even more optimal? at least those who have work on Friday (noon PST or even afternoon EST)won’t be msising the event.

then again, we’ll run into people who have night shifts….

ha, i see what’s going on here. is ou only option to just “get over ourselves”? i’m not for gamers entitlement. of course, we want everything. again, going back to how ANet advertised and marketed this. “you must be there. but sorry, it’ll be at a time you definitely won’t be able to make it”. you know what? i’m not even sure what my argument is anymore. sigh.

just saying, having one time things “simply” during the highest most populated times is not the only option we can look at.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

lordkrall.7241

and someone mentioned having the finale on saturday is a bad idea. Saturday evening PST, which would mean Friday evening PST, and Thursday evening PST. isn’t this even more optimal? at least those who have work on Friday (noon PST or even afternoon EST)won’t be msising the event.

then again, we’ll run into people who have night shifts….

Problem with that is that in that case is that more or less every single European will miss most of the events, seeing as they already start quite late.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Zaxares.5419

Yeah, whichever way you cut it, somebody’s going to be upset. I’m just saying, “Does it always have to be the SAME people who get upset?”

And if that is the way it has to be (I’m realistic enough to know that’s just the way it is sometimes when you’re in the minority), can we at least get a little something for the trouble we have to go through, ANet? An Abyss dye would look awesome on my Necro. Just saying.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: sablephoenix.1593

sablephoenix.1593

I don’t think that any event should be “one-time”. One-day events, maybe, repeated every couple hours. But with one-time events at the time they currently are, I’m always at work. There’s no way I’ll ever see any of them. In fact, I’d wager that the majority of North American players won’t see any of these events.

Bad choice, ArenaNet.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

lordkrall.7241

I don’t think that any event should be “one-time”. One-day events, maybe, repeated every couple hours. But with one-time events at the time they currently are, I’m always at work. There’s no way I’ll ever see any of them. In fact, I’d wager that the majority of North American players won’t see any of these events.

Bad choice, ArenaNet.

And yet it is the time when the highest amount of player are playing.
And I actually doubt the majority of North American players actually work on Sundays.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: sablephoenix.1593

sablephoenix.1593

Bad choice, ArenaNet.

And yet it is the time when the highest amount of player are playing.
And I actually doubt the majority of North American players actually work on Sundays.

I would imagine they are on Friday at 12 noon, however. And for people like me who work weekends, Saturday at 12 noon too. I’ll probably be able to make the Sunday event but I’ll miss all the rest of it.

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

lordkrall.7241

I would imagine they are on Friday at 12 noon, however. And for people like me who work weekends, Saturday at 12 noon too. I’ll probably be able to make the Sunday event but I’ll miss all the rest of it.

The actual one-time event is actually on Sunday at noon however. The others are just pre-events.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Falcon Night.4653

Falcon Night.4653

LOL,
Come on guys and gals, chill…

This is my schedule based on my timezone for the huge Nov 16th to 18th content update come live multi-phased ,event chained, world changing, one time events.

Saturday 4am – Bars close at 3, so if I not otherwise occupied and am sober enough I might log on.
Sunday 4am – Sleep (not enough of it over the work week.)
Monday 4am – Sleep (need to wake up at 630 to go to work.)

LOL… It’s just a game.

These are not the droid you are looking for, move along… → ESO, FireFall, NW :)

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Wrathofgod.2804

Wrathofgod.2804

The events in Rift go on for weeks =) Just saying…..
I work during this event and can’t play everyday

Lost Shores heads up....

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

I find it funny how uncreative they are with the event designs… It wouldn’t be that hard to make a “one-time event” designed in a way that players don’t have to revolve their lives around one kitten game.

Anet has begun to disappoint me; oh well within the next few years I’ll have positioned myself to create a game far superior to anything they could ever do.