Love-Hate relationship with casters - what do

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AdelaisAer.4109

AdelaisAer.4109

I have a love-hating relationship with casters…

Ever since Guild Wars 1, I’ve had this issue, sort of. In GW1, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the elementalist the most, as it quickly became my favourite. In GW2, it sort of became love-hate because it changed a bit, so it’s just not the same anymore. Ditto with the mesmer, though with mesmers, the love-hating relationship is even more exaggerated.

Right now, I am torn between mesmers and elementalists and which to go for, as I have both love and hate for them, but I am absolutely in love with the 3rd tier caster armor for Asuras and Humans, and it kills me. I don’t know what to do.

My main currently is an Engineer (human), but I really want to try and get back into my caster roots.

TL;DR – Love-hate relationship with casters, but obsessed with their cultural armour. What do.

One who prefers their own Elysium, a collected being of brilliant ambience and nurturing.

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

No love for necromancer? True that all three caster professions are different from what they used to be, they still provide tons of fun, more so for mesmers and elementalists, if you even care to enjoy them.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Mesmer and Elementalist are great classes, just open your mind and play them as they are now, you might be pleasantly surprised

Gunnar’s Hold

AdelaisAer.4109

Well, I forgot to mention that I did play every single profession when GW2 came out. Some I hate no matter what (Guardian and Warrior especially; sorry), but Engineer, Mesmer, and Ele are the only ones that I really enjoy (again, sorry to Necro-fans). But as I said, when it comes to Mes and Ele, I just have a love-hate relationship with them. :s I don’t know why, either. They are great, but at the same time, they kitten me off.

I think one of the main problem I have with Eles, for example, is the fact that they have no sidekicks/guardians (Rangers have pets, mesmers have phantasms, engineers have turrets, necros have minions, etc.), as well as the fact that some skills from GW1 didn’t make it into GW2.

The main problem I have with mesmers is…uh…well, I don’t know, actually. o-o; But yeah.

One who prefers their own Elysium, a collected being of brilliant ambience and nurturing.

Recycle.5493

I think one of the main problem I have with Eles, for example, is the fact that they have no sidekicks/guardians (Rangers have pets, mesmers have phantasms, engineers have turrets, necros have minions, etc.), as well as the fact that some skills from GW1 didn’t make it into GW2.

The main problem I have with mesmers is…uh…well, I don’t know, actually. o-o; But yeah.

Elementalists have 2 pet-summoning skills, one utility and one elite, pretty useful in PvE if you ask me. Ele’s also have a wide range of skills that should cover most of your needs.

If you don’t like a profession, don’t play it. There’s no reason to force yourself to like it.

AdelaisAer.4109

Elementalists have 2 pet-summoning skills, one utility and one elite, pretty useful in PvE if you ask me. Ele’s also have a wide range of skills that should cover most of your needs.

If you don’t like a profession, don’t play it. There’s no reason to force yourself to like it.

I guess, but those have a much higher recharge rate. Also, I do like the Elementalist; I just find it far more difficult to play in GW2 than in GW1, but that’s just me.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I get that Mesmer in GW2 is not like Mesmer in GW1- it is a unique class.
Try it and see how it goes, atm I have my main 80 Mesmer but I am leveling a second Mesmer, now at 29.
Elementalists are great fun as well as long as you realize they play very different from classic casters.
Think more element dancer and you will have a good idea of how the class plays

Gunnar’s Hold

AdelaisAer.4109

Well, I am trying to work on an Ele right now, but I am finding it very difficult. o-o; Far more difficult than my engineer. As for mesmer, I may remake one later. I’ve always been an ele-type char. in any game that had such, so I am trying to work on it now.

Recycle.5493

I guess, but those have a much higher recharge rate. Also, I do like the Elementalist; I just find it far more difficult to play in GW2 than in GW1, but that’s just me.

I was referring to mesmer since you have no idea why you don’t love nor hate it. Also, elementalist is the squishiest combination possible with lowest health and cloth armor, if you play it like other MMO’s where you stand in front of mobs and take hits, you’ll find yourself dead most of the time. You need to take advantage of elementalist being one of the most agile profession, .

AdelaisAer.4109

I was referring to mesmer since you have no idea why you don’t love nor hate it. Also, elementalist is the squishiest combination possible with lowest health and cloth armor, if you play it like other MMO’s where you stand in front of mobs and take hits, you’ll find yourself dead most of the time. You need to take advantage of elementalist being one of the most agile profession, .

That’s another one of my issues. In GW1, it was just another caster. In GW2, it’s far too weak (physically-speaking). Granted, it has some of the best offensive skills I have seen in the game (and I have played every profession), with most of them (if not all) being AoE. >___<;

AdelaisAer.4109

Also, I find it weird no one address my issue with the cultural armour obsession. > 3>;

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

I do like the Elementalist; I just find it far more difficult to play in GW2 than in GW1, but that’s just me.

It’s not just you: it’s working as intended. The recent patch notes make explicit ANet’s vision for the classes, and what defines the Elementalist according to those notes is the class’s “exceptional skill ceiling.”

AdelaisAer.4109

I do like the Elementalist; I just find it far more difficult to play in GW2 than in GW1, but that’s just me.

It’s not just you: it’s working as intended. The recent patch notes make explicit ANet’s vision for the classes, and what defines the Elementalist according to those notes is the class’s “exceptional skill ceiling.”

The difficulty of managing an elementalist removes the fun from it – for me, at least. It’s not that I don’t like a challenge – it’s that I don’t like it when things are more difficult than they need to be.

Recycle.5493

I find it fun to be managing attunements and chaining my skills, rather than changing between 2 weapons; the more difficult, the more interesting, but that’s just me.

AdelaisAer.4109

I find it fun to be managing attunements and chaining my skills, rather than changing between 2 weapons; the more difficult, the more interesting, but that’s just me.

No no, I agree with you. It’s just that the lack of sidekicks (aside from the 2 golem skills with their long recharge rate) and the squishiness make it difficult to play, especially if you have no one to play with. :s

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

The difficulty of managing an elementalist removes the fun from it – for me, at least. It’s not that I don’t like a challenge – it’s that I don’t like it when things are more difficult than they need to be.

Why not go with your Engi, then? Both have the versatility to switch between different roles mid-fight, but the Engi doesn’t have all the Ele’s frantic button-mashing.

And the human T3 leather is one of the few good-looking medium sets in the game.

AdelaisAer.4109

Why not go with your Engi, then? Both have the versatility to switch between different roles mid-fight, but the Engi doesn’t have all the Ele’s frantic button-mashing.

And the human T3 leather is one of the few good-looking medium sets in the game.

Well, T3 leather does look nice, but I seem to be attracted to T3 cloth human and T3 cloth asura….especially the Asura one. ____ -drools- Why does it have to be cloth…

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I have a love-love with melee, ranged, pure spell caster et al, so for me it’s collect them all. But, I have to agree with you on the Asuran T3 cultural light armor. My Mesmer with her T3 cultural armor and greatsword is easily the best looking level 80 I have. My advice is to pick one and dive in, as it takes awhile to amass the gold and karma.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

On a side note, I have an ele and mesmer at 80. While I love the “fire mage” archetype (great balls of fire!), I find I have more fun with the mesmer in terms actual playstyle. The abilities flow perfectly for someone who enjoys the kiting mechanic as I do. Grist for the mill.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Don’t be put off by the elementalists extra buttons. Before long it isn’t a big deal and feels completely normal.

Only downside is that the other 7 classes become complete snoozefests to play after you’re used to elementalist.

AdelaisAer.4109

I have a love-love with melee, ranged, pure spell caster et al, so for me it’s collect them all. But, I have to agree with you on the Asuran T3 cultural light armor. My Mesmer with her T3 cultural armor and greatsword is easily the best looking level 80 I have. My advice is to pick one and dive in, as it takes awhile to amass the gold and karma.

Asura T3 cultural light armour is my favourite armour in the entire game. For me, nothing beats it. I actually have a Lv. 51 Asura Elementalist, but I feel like the gameplay became a bit stale, and so I concentrated on a human engineer, who is Lv. 56 right now.

On a side note, I have an ele and mesmer at 80. While I love the “fire mage” archetype (great balls of fire!), I find I have more fun with the mesmer in terms actual playstyle. The abilities flow perfectly for someone who enjoys the kiting mechanic as I do. Grist for the mill.

I actually enjoyed the Mesmer more than I expected to, and perhaps (just maaaybe) more than its GW1 counterpart. It’s my guilty pleasure. n n;

Don’t be put off by the elementalists extra buttons. Before long it isn’t a big deal and feels completely normal.

Only downside is that the other 7 classes become complete snoozefests to play after you’re used to elementalist.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. That’s why I started this thread. >___<;

On a related note, I took three different quizzes. They all pointed out that my top three professions I should go for are: ELE, ENGINEER, and RANGER, with Thief, Mesmer, and Necro being close, too.