Low Population/Off peak Timers

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Well for most of us reaching the champion or dragon before it dies from 100 people is the biggest problem, but off peak some of these bosses can become a real fight, and adding an automatic fail timer after 15 minutes might cause some problems.

Anet seem to be working on ‘go with zerg and be a melee train or else’, with many changes coming out purely for spvp that are stupid when applied to wvw (but we all know which one they support), for instance pumping up condition removal on guardians when conditions were about the only way to remove all those boons and heals and take down the melee train- not they can just wipe them off and carry on chugging.

Unless the bosses scale a LOT when only a few are fighting then it’s another nail in the coffin for lower population servers- but maybe that’s the plan…

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Posted by: JDGumby.7685

JDGumby.7685

15 minute timers? Well, looks like I’ll probably never see another world boss, except maybe for the Claw (30 minute timer). 2-3 minutes to zone in (seriously, they need to do something about load times for those of us without the funds to buy SSDs), then another 10+ minutes of fighting through endless foes to get to the battlefield – if I’m lucky. :/

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

oh, they increased health and put them on a timer… that’s a challenge… /sarcasm

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

It’s ANet’s idea of what fresh new content looks like.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: Salvatore.4983

Salvatore.4983

Yeah and for what? Maybe they wanna that people from low populated server go on one that’s more populated so they will say, is it not our fault if we ar closing this server, you all gone away. You know what?
People in high populated server will stop to play if you don’t add new contents ANet.
Another step into the fail.

Amadan.9451

yeah, more and more things on timer and the arbitrary immunity to damage unless condition x is reached (karka queen and pretty much every new boss since than, i guess tequatl too, we will see soon enough).
and no new area to explore, just run with rox in the same maps you already know better than their designer

Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I think its just a stop gap for the time being. We’ve been told that they will be revamping all of the bosses over time. We got Tequatl as the first, and he looks rather nifty with his new attacks and new reqs.

We should see changes to the others over time, but it will take time. Look at how they took with Tequatl. There has been nothing said, or implied, that the others will receive no further updates.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Amadan.9451

it’s just that i hate timers and missions on timer and i see only timer in every new content, starting from the timer of 2 weeks for every new update

Join the Rainbow Pride

LanfearShadowflame.3189

it’s just that i hate timers and missions on timer and i see only timer in every new content, starting from the timer of 2 weeks for every new update

We needed to have some type of fail state, otherwise people just keep beating on the boss until it’s down. They just hit 1 and then go afk. Its not fun, and its not pretty.

The timer requires us to utilize new teamwork and environmental functionality. Some thought and strategy, which we seriously needed. Unfortunately, implementing any other type of fail condition would have been harder. A timer is easy, and very obvious to all involved.

Amadan.9451

timer worked magic with karka queen and the invasion, the former it was just done untill achievement, and the latter it was gladly failed (and the timer provided plenty of excuses not to be coordinated to succed despite the odds)

Join the Rainbow Pride

LanfearShadowflame.3189

They may not be as gladly failed anymore….

Posted by: JDGumby.7685

JDGumby.7685

We needed to have some type of fail state, otherwise people just keep beating on the boss until it’s down. They just hit 1 and then go afk. Its not fun, and its not pretty.

A fail state was perhaps needed (but bull on the “just hit 1 and then go afk” as that is a perfect way to get yourself killed), but a timer is the wrong way about it. Give the boss a concrete objective to go after, with failure being if it gets through the players (but not using the ol’ “it keeps moving at a steady rate while you try to kill it before it hits the goal line” method, which is just as bad and artificial and immersion-destroying as a timer).

LanfearShadowflame.3189

A fail state was perhaps needed (but bull on the “just hit 1 and then go afk” as that is a perfect way to get yourself killed), but a timer is the wrong way about it. Give the boss a concrete objective to go after, with failure being if it gets through the players (but not using the ol’ “it keeps moving at a steady rate while you try to kill it before it hits the goal line” method, which is just as bad and artificial and immersion-destroying as a timer).

Call bull all you want, but people grump about it on here all the time. “I just watch tv while my char auto attacks” “I just hit one, then tab out until the fight is over” etc etc. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve read comments like those. Too bad search sucks, or Id fetch threads for you.

A timer is simply the easiest and most visible fail condition. Even you suggestion of setting an objective as a fail state would still include a timer, otherwise you would simple continue to chip away at said objective until it was done – whether its attack or defend, its the same thing. I mean, say the boss is after an objective….how long does he try to get thru the players….until he does or he dies? Where’s the fun in that? This amounts to “just beat on him until he’s dead” again. Mass DPS, no team work, no tactics, you know that’s how it would go. They’d just DPS up to do it within the time allotted for him to get to whatever arbitrary objective.

It boils down to there not being any really good solution honestly. Any type of imposed failure condition is external, and in its own way immersion breaking because the AI is not fully capable of thinking by itself. It does not have “battle scenarios.” It only has one single, programmed option.

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

Something will change, because I don’t see some bosses go down in a lot of servers due to the timer. The timer will cause no problem in the top 5-8 servers, but for the rest it will.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Well what I think is why can’t they just require pre-event chain participation to get the final drop from a boss?

90% of people come in at the last moment and whack the boss a few times then collect a full loot drop. Then turn around and cry how easy it is. Yet if they were there actually participating in the pre-event chains, would they still be crying how easy and boring it is? Then they pick up and zerg to the next boss ready to drop. Or go back to their champ zergs to farm gold for gems.

Now we are still stuck doing pre-event chains with 5 people, but praying a massive zerg shows up at the last minute so they can link all the exotics they got, and we didn’t, just so we can maybe succeed the event.

This is fail.