Low level cloth: where to get and wtf

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Severino.3604

Severino.3604

I’m looking for some good spots to farm to get enough of the above for my daily damask crafting, and I mean specific locations on maps and the mobs that drop them. I know
you can MF it from karma items, but I don’t really want to blow my karma that took ages to get.

It really baffles me why apparently in Tyria, the most valuable and sought after materials known to man are wool, cotton and linen. More precious than mithril or platinum, silk or gossamer. The peasants are clothed in gossamer while the richest kings of Tyria go around in WOOL and COTTON. Ooooh, it feels so rough and valuable.

I feel like the droprate on all cloth needs to go up since there’s no reliable way of getting it except as a random drop, and the stupid anti-farming mechanics means you couldn’t farm it that well anyway. That sounds like a great idea. “The only way to get this material is by farming mobs over and over for hours, but we don’t like farming so let’s nerf the droprates to discourage people.” Seriously!?

I really feel sorry for tailors now. I can mine all the kitten ore I need, even the iron I need for deldrimor ingots without too much hassle, but linen? Nah, that kittens RARE as kitten. Mum doesn’t dare hang out the linen to dry for fear of some desperate tailor. Just picture it. “Here son. My most precious possession. My collection of cotton rags. Passed down from my father’s father’s father. Nearly 150 years worth of farming went into these four rags. Some day you will inherit all of it. Now help me move these stacks of mithril and gold bars out onto the curb. Its recycling day.”

I don’t have that much time to spend playing, and I don’t like the idea of just mindlessly grinding the gold and buying it off the tp because that only inflates the problem of ridiculous prices. What’s the solution? Is this just part of the experience? I thought GW2 wasn’t supposed to be grindy?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Silverwastes chests give tailor materials, so you can do some chest farming to get the wool/linen/cotton you need.

Converting karma to tailor materials is a very effective way to spend your karma (gold wise). Doing those chest runs and events in SW will give you enough karma to burn on those too. Boss runs, Tequatl, dungeon running can give you a good amount of karma to burn on it too.

Running dungeons is another way to get tailor materials. Run AC/CM/TA and buy rare light gloves and salvage them for the materials.

Basically you can get tailor mats by doing many different types of content

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Alternatively to the above :

Cotton and SOME of the other 2-4 tier crafting mats can be quite easily farmed in Hirathi Hinterlands, near where the world boss Ulgoth spawns.

You can generally get 100+ bags an hour with an event or 2.
The respawn rate is fast on the centaur.

You will not get A LOT of cotton, but its the best I got.
And the other resources are worth selling.

EDIT : Just fixed a kitten word.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

(edited by Novuake.2691)

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

It is still far more efficient to farm gold and buy from TP. Maybe one day the price of the cloth goes high enough that it’s more efficient to farm them directly, but that day is not here yet.

One – Piken Square

Novuake.2691

It is still far more efficient to farm gold and buy from TP. Maybe one day the price of the cloth goes high enough that it’s more efficient to farm them directly, but that day is not here yet.

I dono, the current price is absolutely insane.
4+ silver PER SCRAP.

Hell you could probably go 3 man farm Hirathi and walk away with Gold profit as it stands right now.

Tom Gore.4035

I dono, the current price is absolutely insane.
4+ silver PER SCRAP.

Hell you could probably go 3 man farm Hirathi and walk away with Gold profit as it stands right now.

Or you could make a handful of dungeon speedruns with 5 people and walk away with 10+ gold each.

One – Piken Square

Novuake.2691

Or you could make a handful of dungeon speedruns with 5 people and walk away with 10+ gold each.

Fair point, but after those dungeons?
I do daily speedsruns in about 2 hours.

But I will give it a test and see what profit I can make from it.

Tom Gore.4035

I would wager that crafting would be the next best method of making gold/hour after dungeons (or even better than dungeons if you have good enough knowledge of the market), but yeah please go ahead with the experiment and report results. Last time I tried to farm linen it was pretty meh return.

One – Piken Square

Novuake.2691

Curious, what did you do to farm Linen?

Tom Gore.4035

Fireheart Rise event chains, mainly this one:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Battle_for_Buloh_Crossing

Probably not the most efficient way, mind you.

One – Piken Square

Tom Gore.4035

Sorry, brain fart. Iron Marches and this chain is what I meant:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Capture_Firewatch_Encampment_from_the_Flame_Legion

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Would be a great title for a guide.
Low level cloth. Where to get and wtf.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Novuake.2691

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Capture_Firewatch_Encampment_from_the_Flame_Legion

Assuming you failed it repeatedly?

Spawns?
Scaling?

Posted by: Kaitani.5423

Kaitani.5423

There’s one way of getting low level cloth that hasn’t been mentioned yet: opening bags of gear / champ bags with a character that is around the level that gives the cloth you want. The bags will drop gear up to 5 levels below your level, and the level ranges for each cloth is as follows (from wiki):
Jute: 0-20
Wool: 16-33
Cotton: 31-48
Linen: 44-63
Silk: 58-80

So let’s say you want lots of linen. With a character level of 53-57 all light armor you get from the bags should salvage into linen scraps.
Now, opening champ bags on low level characters may not be that smart, but the bags of gear that mostly drop blue gear anyway and are rewarded in SW in good quantities are good for this purpose.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

It’s really not that expensive… you could just play the game however you want until you have the money. If that takes too long, then I guess you’ll just have to start putting more hours into the game. If that’s what you really want to do with your free time, anyway.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Bernie.8674

Bernie.8674

It really baffles me why apparently in Tyria, the most valuable and sought after materials known to man are wool, cotton and linen. More precious than mithril or platinum, silk or gossamer. The peasants are clothed in gossamer while the richest kings of Tyria go around in WOOL and COTTON. Ooooh, it feels so rough and valuable.

I agree that cloth seems broken. Thick leather sections go for 9 copper apiece. Silk scraps go for 1 silver and 63 copper apiece. That’s 1800% of the price of the leather equivalent!!! Something is off. On top of that it takes three silk scraps to make one silk bolt, whereas it only takes two mithril ores to make one ingot. I’m constantly swimming in mithril and elder logs, and I can purchase stacks of thick leather for tens of silver, but I’m always out of silk. I wish that either the drop rate would get buffed or the recipe for silk bolts would drop down to two scraps apiece.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Add more dungeons to your runs as you are leaving a lot of paths on the table.

Arah 1-3, COE 1-3, COF1/2 (3 if you’re good), HoTW1, AC1-3, TA F/U, CM1-3, SE1/3. All done in 2 hours? Mighty impressive

Severino.3604

I agree that cloth seems broken. Thick leather sections go for 9 copper apiece. Silk scraps go for 1 silver and 63 copper apiece. That’s 1800% of the price of the leather equivalent!!! Something is off. On top of that it takes three silk scraps to make one silk bolt, whereas it only takes two mithril ores to make one ingot. I’m constantly swimming in mithril and elder logs, and I can purchase stacks of thick leather for tens of silver, but I’m always out of silk. I wish that either the drop rate would get buffed or the recipe for silk bolts would drop down to two scraps apiece.

Silk isn’t so bad because at least you get a steady supply from the content you’ll be running most of the time at Max level. The reason I started this thread is because linen scraps currently go for FIVE+ SILVER EACH, which is just insane. Cotton is close at kitten , (thats supposed to say four point six silver, not sure why its censored) wool at 3.8s, while gossamer is practically worthless at 39c.

The prices reflect that there is a limited window while you’re levelling to get those low level cloths, while Max level gossamer is plentifuI. I think I read an old thread saying TA was a good source of linen because of the appropriately levelled nightmare court, but I gave it a run and got zero scraps from salvageables.

I’m going to try that iron marches event chain though. I’d been farming the flame legion in the very bottom left little area of the Iron Marches and managed to get 45 scraps in 30mins. That equals 2.25g at current prices which is all i could expect to get running the quickest dungeons in the same time. Thats just the linen though. I assume it would take a similar amount of time to get wool and cotton. I don’t want my epic adventuring experience to be 1.5 hours of farming low level mobs for scraps of cloth.

They could fix this by upping the droprate of salvageable from lower level mobs. I farmed those flame legion for 30mins and less that half of them dropped ANYTHING, and about half of those that did drop something dropped junk. I think I got over 70 broken claws.

Since anet hates farmers, maybe they should consider that increasing the supply will stop those gold farmers. Everyone wins.

(edited by Severino.3604)

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Silk, i generally have the least trouble with because so much stuff drops in fractals.
Farming the lower tier bags from low level dredge, centaurs, skritt are all possibilities. Good thing there are plenty of them around

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I echo the advice of farming low level events that spawn lots of mobs. In particular, I recommend looking for events with Nightmare Court or Flame Legion, as these mobs not only drop bags that can drop cloth, but also cloth salvage items, increasing your final cloth tally.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

There’s one way of getting low level cloth that hasn’t been mentioned yet: opening bags of gear / champ bags with a character that is around the level that gives the cloth you want. The bags will drop gear up to 5 levels below your level, and the level ranges for each cloth is as follows (from wiki):

So let’s say you want lots of linen. With a character level of 53-57 all light armor you get from the bags should salvage into linen scraps.
Now, opening champ bags on low level characters may not be that smart, but the bags of gear that mostly drop blue gear anyway and are rewarded in SW in good quantities are good for this purpose.

This is what I do…I tried to give this suggestion earlier today but apparently the forums won’t let me post.

The exotic champ bags DO still give the champ weapons and T6 mats regardless of the character opening them. So I send my silverwastes champ bags to my low level characters to open. I get the added bonus of not having gobs of bloodstone dust. When I run out of bloodstone dust I open the champ bags on an 80 to get enough to feed Mawdrey for a few days. I’ve never had to buy any low level mats since I started this and as an added bonus I’m overflowing with iron now too.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

How do you convert karma for these items?

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Severino.3604

I believe you just buy cloth items of the appropriate level eg. Crab grabbing gloves from Bram Dawnrazer on the Bloodtide Coast for linen , combine them in the mystic forge so they become salvageable, and then salvage.

Can anyone suggest good event chains for wool and cotton?

Tom Gore.4035

Assuming you failed it repeatedly?

Spawns?
Scaling?

No I finished the chain, but I took my time killing the spawns in the first event, since they seem to respawn until the encampment is taken back. The follow-up events also have pretty good spawns of Flame Legion, although they don’t scale very high up.

As said, probably could be much more efficient than that, but I managed to get ~15-20 scraps per run, then leaving and letting the chain reset and coming back to do it again.

I didn’t check how often the defense event of the camp would trigger if you chose to just run that repeatedly and if that one scales better.

One – Piken Square

maddoctor.2738

How do you convert karma for these items?

Heart NPC outside the Black Citadel in Diessa Plateau sells gloves for karma. You buy the blue light ones then forge them for Wool.

Heart NPC south of LA, where you feed some Quaggans crabs, you can buy blue light gloves there to forge for Linen.

There was another Heart NPC that sold items you can convert to Cotton but I don’t have access to the game atm I don’t remember exactly where he is.

So you buy blue light gloves of appropriate level, forge them and salvage the result for materials. It’s very very quick way to get Bolts of Damask.

Btw: Do NOT forge items for Silk, they cost too much in karma and it’s not worth it. If you want Silk, forge the items for Wool, sell the Wool and buy Silk, it’s much more cost effective.

Tom Gore.4035

This is what I do…I tried to give this suggestion earlier today but apparently the forums won’t let me post.

The exotic champ bags DO still give the champ weapons and T6 mats regardless of the character opening them. So I send my silverwastes champ bags to my low level characters to open. I get the added bonus of not having gobs of bloodstone dust. When I run out of bloodstone dust I open the champ bags on an 80 to get enough to feed Mawdrey for a few days. I’ve never had to buy any low level mats since I started this and as an added bonus I’m overflowing with iron now too.

This sounds like a much better solution than farming events. And I just happen to have a character of appropriate level. Thanks for the suggestion!

One – Piken Square

maddoctor.2738

This sounds like a much better solution than farming events. And I just happen to have a character of appropriate level. Thanks for the suggestion!

Small addition to this. They changed how low level loot drops work so you get more gear appropriate for your profession, I don’t know if it affects chest/bag drops too, but it doesn’t hurt to open them with a character that wears light armor.

Some other things: Green gear tends to be lower level than blue gear. So it’s best to open the bags with a character around the middle of the level range for the material you want.

So for example: Wool drops from items between level 16 and 33, if you use a level 16-20 character there is a good chance you will get Jute instead of Wool, if you use a level 30+ character there is a good chance you will get Linen instead of Wool.

To combine the 2 above, you need a:

Wool: ~level 25 Scholar
Cotton: ~level 40 Scholar
Linen: ~level 53 Scholar

For the best possible chances

Novuake.2691

Add more dungeons to your runs as you are leaving a lot of paths on the table.

Arah 1-3, COE 1-3, COF1/2 (3 if you’re good), HoTW1, AC1-3, TA F/U, CM1-3, SE1/3. All done in 2 hours? Mighty impressive

There are definitely a few more I could do, but avoid some due to limited EXPERIENCED pugging when I have time to play. This includes Arah, which to be honest i STILL have not done at all! Kitten dungeon master.

Severino.3604

I couldn’t get the Fire watch event chain to start. Waited around a while, did neighbouring events but nothing happened so I just went to my usual spot where you can kill flame legion almost nonstop.

I don’t have the character slots to start a new char just to keep at low level so I can open champ bags, and even if I did I wouldn’t use a char just for that.