Low vs. High settings. Wow.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sidizen.9048

Sidizen.9048

It is absolutely stunning.

So about a week ago my old PC broke because of a power surge. It was an old HP Laptop that could barely run the game at 20 FPS on lowest settings. So I got a new gaming laptop with a GTX 960m and Quad Core 3.5 ghz i7. This meant I was finally able to crank up the settings on the game!

I jumped right in after it finished downloading and I. was. stunned. I never knew just how pretty this game is until I saw it with my own eyes on my own computer.

Thank you Anet for making one of the prettiest MMO’s I have seen, and let’s not forget, it came out in 2012!

(edited by Sidizen.9048)

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

You can make it even prettier

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

Posted by: KestrelGirl.9267

KestrelGirl.9267

This!
I was running the game on a Macbook Pro Retina (school laptop… lol, private school perks) because I thought my little-toaster-that-could ($300 Windows 10 laptop with Intel integrated graphics and horrible battery life) wouldn’t be able to handle such an amazingly realistic-looking game. Having a high-res screen was nice, but I couldn’t go higher than low settings without a serious drop in FPS. It was already only 20-30.

Then I tried running the game on my little potato.
Stable 30 fps on low settings. Bumped it up to medium shaders. Slight drop, and a little less stable, but looking great. Up to high shaders, and everything is gorgeous. THE GAME STILL RUNS. SMOOTHLY. AT 10-15 FPS.
I can’t use those settings in large-scale fights/PvP for obvious reasons, but now I know that I can take pretty screenshots on a craptop!

(edited by KestrelGirl.9267)

Posted by: Rhyav.4812

Rhyav.4812

I run it with ReShade as well and it’s even more amazing. Here, check the comparison!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbnLry44RTE

I didn’t need the ReShade unlocker for some reason. I have an i5 and GTX 760 running at 60 fps all the time excluding World Bosses.

Sidizen.9048

I run it with ReShade as well and it’s even more amazing. Here, check the comparison!

I didn’t need the ReShade unlocker for some reason. I have an i5 and GTX 760 running at 60 fps all the time excluding World Bosses.

Oh my goodness! I had no idea ReShade was even a thing XD, it looks amazing!

Posted by: Millssta.9064

Millssta.9064

Wait till you see it in 4k, that made me smile for every penny I spent on my 4k monitor

I Don’t Main, 100% Alt

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I know exactly what you mean.

Originally I was running this game on medium graphics with about 50 FPS and I thought it looked pretty good. Then my graphics card died (right around the time of the Battle of LA) and I had to use the processor, which was about 5 years old, so to play at all I had to turn it right down to minimum, and even then it was a struggle.

I decided it was time for an upgrade instead of simply a replacement of what I had and to cut a long-story short it ended up taking almost a month to get the parts and get them all in and working but I was so glad I did because I could finally play the game on max settings and it looked amazing.

I spent a lot of time just running around different areas to see what they looked like with the new settings, and I’m not normally the kind of person who cares about graphics at all (I actually struggle to see improvements normally.)

Below is a comparison of before, during and after.

Attachments:

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

This!
I was running the game on a Macbook Pro Retina (school laptop… lol, private school perks) because I thought my little-toaster-that-could ($300 Windows 10 laptop with Intel integrated graphics and horrible battery life) wouldn’t be able to handle such an amazingly realistic-looking game. Having a high-res screen was nice, but I couldn’t go higher than low settings without a serious drop in FPS. It was already only 20-30.

Stable 30 fps on low settings. Bumped it up to medium shaders. Slight drop, and a little less stable, but looking great. Up to high shaders, and everything is gorgeous. THE GAME STILL RUNS. SMOOTHLY. AT 10-15 FPS.
I can’t use those settings in large-scale fights/PvP for obvious reasons, but now I know that I can take pretty screenshots on a craptop!

If you reckon 15 fps is smooth, you may want to stop stabbing yourself in the eyes, or whatever it is you are doing to cause such hideous damage to your sight.

Posted by: KestrelGirl.9267

KestrelGirl.9267

This!

If you reckon 15 fps is smooth, you may want to stop stabbing yourself in the eyes, or whatever it is you are doing to cause such hideous damage to your sight.

Well, I sort of meant “stable.” :P

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

I got a GTX 950 put on to my PC this morning. The difference boggles.

Posted by: Rasgalinj.2763

Rasgalinj.2763

That is awesome.. Any link to the latest version or a page that is constantly being updated when something new happens?

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

same, i’ve been using reshade, previously using sweetfx
it makes the game looks cleaner and clearer

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Rhyav.4812

Rhyav.4812

That is awesome.. Any link to the latest version or a page that is constantly being updated when something new happens?

Use this guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5i5-2X4wMA

Has all the links you need and an installation guide. Have in mind that the video is for the 32-bit version. For the 64-bit like I have you need a different unlocker (which I didn’t need) and the 64-bit version of ReShade of course.

Sidizen.9048

I know exactly what you mean.

Originally I was running this game on medium graphics with about 50 FPS and I thought it looked pretty good. Then my graphics card died (right around the time of the Battle of LA) and I had to use the processor, which was about 5 years old, so to play at all I had to turn it right down to minimum, and even then it was a struggle.

I decided it was time for an upgrade instead of simply a replacement of what I had and to cut a long-story short it ended up taking almost a month to get the parts and get them all in and working but I was so glad I did because I could finally play the game on max settings and it looked amazing.

I spent a lot of time just running around different areas to see what they looked like with the new settings, and I’m not normally the kind of person who cares about graphics at all (I actually struggle to see improvements normally.)

Below is a comparison of before, during and after.

It’s unbelievable, sometimes I just want to walk around Tyria and enjoy the scenery. Yesterday I did Teq for the first time with these settings and I realized there is no way I can go back to low settings. High settings give this game completely new life for me.