Lower sell price on TP = Good profit? No.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: swgs.6195

swgs.6195

Recently, I noticed a tendency to understate the price of items Trading Post. Especially noticeable is the skins.
Some people set skins for the price, eg. 60 g when the highest price is 65g, then unaware of the players also exhibit their items for low prices. Then the person who posted the first item for understated price buys cheaper items which were posted under his what makes an almost monopoly and posts these items for the price of 64g 99s.

I have good heart so therefore, I appeal to you fellow players, do not be fooled by the blind posting of items for sale, research market, price, and then post your items.

In addition, as far as I know such tactics are in other MMO’s illegal.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

eh?
market is player driven, they can do whatever they want

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

eh?
market is player driven, they can do whatever they want

Not always. The current state of the market is in large part due to over reaching micromanagement from Anet’s Economist.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The price is what the players think it is. There’s no fixed value you can research and find to set your price at. If you think it’s worth 60 gold but the other players think it’s worth 50, then good luck putting it up for 60 gold as it’s not going to sell.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

The only issue if have with the trading post is the people who put things on there for one copper over the minimum buy order.

Example: Say Seasoned Wood sells for 4 silver 89 copper and the buy order is 3 silver 96 copper. Then someone list theirs for 3 silver 97 copper which to people not paying attention I suppose would cause the buy orders to fill faster, which I suppose is the point. Who ever put that buy order in for 3 silver 96 copper is really cleaning up on all the people who don’t pay attention.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Don’t tell me or other players how to price the items I sell on the TP. If I want to place an item under what you think the value of it is, then that’s my prerogative. You have no idea why I’m placing it at that value. I may need a decent bit of gold pretty quickly to get an item with low supply but higher demand and I can’t afford to buy gems to convert to gold. So I place the value of the expensive item 10 g below the others to sell it faster. Or I may just want to sell it faster because I don’t like my items to sit in the TP for months on end. Or I don’t have the money to place the item up for sell at 60 g, but I do for 50 g.

So don’t presume I’m placing the items up below what you call market value out of ignorance. I may be doing it knowing full well that I could get it for more, but choosing not to. And don’t presume that others are ignorant of the consequences either.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

If someone wants to post a price under the current low it’s their prerogative and it’s usually because they want to sell it quickly but want more than what the instant sale would pay them.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Yeah, I’m going to post and buy items for whatever price I choose, just like everyone else should.

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

I think some of you guys are misunderstanding the original post. The OP is simply trying to be nice by warning players of a common (morally questionable) TP tactic used by some TP traders in which they try to “trick” players who are not paying close attention to the prices into selling their stuff for less than the going market value. Sure, everyone has a right to sell their stuff for whatever they want, and sure, maybe people should be paying closer attention to what they are doing but the OP is just trying to raise awareness of this dubious tactic.

(edited by Silvatar.5379)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I see where you are coming from, usually it is high volume items they do this on so not in the tens of gold. It does add up though, you spot it by seeing the gap between the low sell price, the asking price and the next high sell price. Usually they want enough profit to be able to see again to recoup the 15% commission of the system.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I think some of you guys are misunderstanding the original post. The OP is simply trying to be nice by warning people about a common (morally questionable) tactic used by a lot of TP traders in which they “trick” people who are not paying close attention to the prices into selling their stuff for less than the going market value of that item.

Considering there’s a 15% tax, anyone who does what the OP said is pretty dumb and is losing gold. He gave the example of someone buying for 60 gold and reposting it for 64.99 gold. The tax on 64.99 gold is 9.97485gold. Which means he gets 55.2415 when he sells it, a loss of 4.7585 gold. He would either need to repost above 69gold or buy below 55.2415 in this scenario. I’m not going to waste my time worrying about someone who pulls a dumb stunt like that.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Let’s say someone knows an item can be sold for 50g. They sell one of them for that price, and there aren’t many around.

He lists another for 50g, and someone undercuts to 49g99s.

He then undercuts to 25g and then buys the 49g99s one.

People don’t look and just undercut that price or just click sell instantly. After a short time, he buys all of them or even places even lower buy orders. After an even smaller time later, relists them all for 50g. Though it’s possible to do 55g, since people usually don’t notice these small differences.

Although things don’t happen to this extreme much (It is SWEET when it happens), I would definitely compare the buy/sell history of expensive items before you sell them because I’ve seen some pretty blatant stunts before. I’m not against this kind of behavior, but it’s still good to be wary.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

His example of 65g would require someone to place an item for sale at less than 55.2415g just to break even when he sells it for 64.99g once he clears out all the below his bait price along with his bait item.

It’s so much easier to simply place bids and let players insta-sell you inventory to flip. The trick though is to find items that have a high volume of trades with an acceptable sized gap for profit.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

i dont think that works out, there are just too many people playing for monopoly to be possible with more than the rarest items

plus if the undercutter was not undercutting too steeply the person monopolising would lose out because of trading post fees
if the undercutter was undercutting steeply they clearly want the money sooner than later and dont care they could have gotten more

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: nezroy.8492

nezroy.8492

It’s called speculation because it’s risky and sometimes you lose. I’m sorry you lost gold speculating on some BL skin pricing, but, as the old saying goes, markets are never wrong, opinions are.

Posted by: Nusku.3941

Nusku.3941

Say that to scumbag tp botters selling 150k of an item all at once. You can’t find them, Anet will never find them so us honorable merketeers end up losing on the long run.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Say that to scumbag tp botters selling 150k of an item all at once. You can’t find them, Anet will never find them so us honorable merketeers end up losing on the long run.

What items are those that botters are selling 150k at once? Most items on the trading post don’t have a supply anywhere near that, so putting 150k at once on the trading post would make a noticeable spike in the supply graph.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Cinnamon Goddess.3869

Cinnamon Goddess.3869

What items are those that botters are selling 150k at once? Most items on the trading post don’t have a supply anywhere near that, so putting 150k at once on the trading post would make a noticeable spike in the supply graph.

I agree that 150k is an exaggeration but the OP still points out a problematic issue. What I think he is not understanding or explaining properly is that botters who have huge quantities of items to sell have a negative effect on the market. Botters can program their bots to sell at any quantities they want and 150k might be sold not in one lump sum but in 100 or 1000 listings but it should be obvious to Anet that these are still all coming from the same account.

There does need to be prices ranges or limitations on most items because it hurts the economy and destroys many people gaming experiences. I should be able to make decent money just playing the game but I can not. If Anet increases money made in game then the TP will just adjust and soak it all up and make the game suck just as much as it used to. The only way to control this is to set price ranges to items that prevents over or undercharging adding balance to the game and helping to maintain reward to the amount of effort a player puts into GW2. (Ultimately this is the same issue with minimum wage. If you do not cap profits then minimum wage will never mean anything.)

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

What I recently noticed happening on TP is this:
I want to buy some material, let’s say linen scrap. I open TP and click buy order 1 copper higher than the previous buy order listing. But’s that? – Even though all sellers offer it for much higher price, there alway ONE guy selling ONE piece of that scrap for exactly ONE copper higher that the top buy order. If I want to buy multiple of those scraps, TP for that price of 1 copper higher, TP will always automatically redirect me into instant buy list because of that ONE piece, which I get for that price and then I can actually just buy the mor expensive ones in the insta tab.

It has these implications:
1. somebody is trying to exploit, rob people by enforcing them to misclick on insta buy instead of buy order
2. those who don’t get fooled are blocked from clicking a buy order, unless they remove that 1 piece from insta buy list

I consider this a semi-serious flaw to the TP system. And I consider these people biggest kittens ever.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

What I recently noticed happening on TP is this:
I want to buy some material, let’s say linen scrap. I open TP and click buy order 1 copper higher than the previous buy order listing. But’s that? – Even though all sellers offer it for much higher price, there alway ONE guy selling ONE piece of that scrap for exactly ONE copper higher that the top buy order. If I want to buy multiple of those scraps, TP for that price of 1 copper higher, TP will always automatically redirect me into instant buy list because of that ONE piece, which I get for that price and then I can actually just buy the mor expensive ones in the insta tab.

It has these implications:
1. somebody is trying to exploit, rob people by enforcing them to misclick on insta buy instead of buy order
2. those who don’t get fooled are blocked from clicking a buy order, unless they remove that 1 piece from insta buy list

I consider this a semi-serious flaw to the TP system. And I consider these people biggest kittens ever.

Nope, you are seeing this from the wrong side of the equation.

The person putting up those 1 copper over buy oders in doesn’t care about your purchase from the TP. He also doesn’t want to trick you since the game clearly shows what the total sum is and which orders are getting filled by your request.

He is aiming to get as many people to sell to him via the “I’ll sell 1 copper cheaper than the current sell order” and turn a profit by relisting the material for its actual price (or at a different time of day/week for a higher price). He risks his 1-10 items which he puts up undervalue in order to grab as many instant sell players as possible.

It’s a common and known way to manipulate the market. Working as intended. If people can’t be bothered to read and watch out for what they click, then they are rightfully parted from their goods undervalue.

You on the other hand got a couple of materials cheaper. Everyone wins.