Luck required to proceed after 100%

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

seems very excessive. It’ll take hundreds of green salvages to acquire 10 000 luck which is barely anything after 100%..

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s a long term goal. It’s not like people ran around with 300% magic find normally anyway. 100 isn’t that bad…and it’s account wide. It’s great for people like me, with tons of alts.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Well it’s really your choice where you want to stop with the EoLs. After that you can vendor the stuff instead. Think of it as a long term investment vs. short term investment, with the “long term” getting longer with every salvage.

One – Piken Square

Gasoline.2570

Sure, but say I could put down 10g and get a full mf set that got me up to 150%

I do wonder. At least some clarification by anet would be nice, I get that it’s accound wide but the amount of clicking and gold alone required for higher numbers is astonishing.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Well now you can put that 10g into a set that actually maximizes your effectiveness instead of having to sacrifice something else for MF.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

hmm yeah, it’s probably better than we had before on our most MF’d character. 150% is actually good compared to my other chars I ran with 0 (mostly opening chests with those). Extra buffs got up to 200%, lots of mastercraft and some rares. I think past that it should be very hard. Plus you are killing a lot faster most likely.

I’m glad for the move. I played UO for years, mostly up until the AoS expansion where they introduced luck suits. Same thing as MF suits here. Been through it before and hated it; it was a really bad move, of many anyway. Here they started out with these suits, and in time most won’t even think of going back, would even be protests and riots, cars burning in the streets… heh like in Canada

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

When you are done chasing MF, you can SELL your greens at quite a bit more than vendor price to people who are still in the hunt.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I do wonder. At least some clarification by anet would be nice, I get that it’s accound wide but the amount of clicking and gold alone required for higher numbers is astonishing.

Sure, you could have 150% magic find at the expense of other stats and carrying around an extra suit of armor. Me, I’d much rather have the six slots free in my bags.

Gasoline.2570

you forgot trinkets and weapons, they take 12-15 slots total. Feels weird putting that mf suit in the bank without any stats…

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Yeah, -6 from 35 bag slots of gear hah

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Its been 2 days….jeez…. already complaining because “I WANT IT NAOW!”

You want to know whats long? WvW achievements.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

seems very excessive. It’ll take hundreds of green salvages to acquire 10 000 luck which is barely anything after 100%..

Just the usual from Anet. You know? The company that doesn’t build grindy games.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

Guys guys, it’s ok, you dont have to do this. Money and gear isn’t really needed because its purely for looks. Because the majority of players out there don’t really mind investing time in a game, going on epic adventures dressed in a potato sack and wielding wooden toys and such.

Posted by: NiceSight.9837

NiceSight.9837

too excessive really. huge waste of time and slavage, compared to the lost gear.

Mr. Copycat – Mesmer
Insert Coin [IC]
Gandara

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

It’s a long term goal. It’s not like people ran around with 300% magic find normally anyway. 100 isn’t that bad…and it’s account wide. It’s great for people like me, with tons of alts.

We definitely usually don’t agree but I agree with you here. Greens were all what some of us were getting sometimes especially from the chests out in the wild. Those chests will come in handy now!

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

What clarification? They’ve already explained that it takes more luck as MF increases. It’s not about x gold = y% mf, there are people who follow the champion zerg all day long and will be to 300% in a month, just by salvaging all the loot they used to vendor away.

And it is account-wide. If you ran a toon of every class it would take 80g to set them all up with 150% mf sets. People keep saying the game punishes alts, but here is something that benefits people with more than one toon and they ignore it.

tolunart.2095

We definitely usually don’t agree but I agree with you here. Greens were all what some of us were getting sometimes especially from the chests out in the wild. Those chests will come in handy now!

And if you’d rather have cash now and delay the MF increase, blues and greens that were listed by the thousands on the TP for vendor + 1c are selling now. Stuff that you could get 1.14s from a vendor for sells for 4s or more on the TP as people buy up the cheap stuff to raise MF quickly.

But what’s the purpose of MF? To find more valuable loot… sell 100 blues and greens on the TP now, and you’ll make 500% more money than a month ago. Once the hardcores stop salvaging everything they can get their hands on, prices will drop a bit so make hay while the sun shines…

(edited by tolunart.2095)

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

the one thing I’ve learned: people don’t get longterm goals. They DON’T GET IT. “Ascended weapon? asap!! I want mine in 2 weeks, because it’s doable in 2 weeks. It is of course a grind.”

pah what’s wrong with people nowadays? Personally I play the game as before and accumulate the mats for an ascended weapon. When I got one… great. If I haven’t got one in a month. Why should I care?

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I salvaged ~550 masterwork items after the patch hit and got 16,770 luck from them, that brought me up to 55%, including the free ones that they gave us. That was ~8.25-10g that I could have gotten if I vendored it. And at MF 100+ those same 550 salvages will only give you 1-2%.

I know this is a long term goal, but just to get back where I was (~140-150%), let is gonna take either a ton of money or time.

As for “killing things faster” that really only applies if you’re wearing zerker gear. My fractal/dungeon gear is knights, so in the open world it was never required to have that extra toughness, and I won’t kill anything faster now that I’m forced to use something else.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Yeah, I feel you. I’ve probably blown through over 1k~ greens/blues, along with 100 ecto, and so far I think I’m at 72 or 74% account wide mf.

I’m not worried about 300% or even 200% mf, I’m just trying to get to the magic find I had before the patch. (which would require 110% account wide magic find, +20% from infusion, and 30% from food = 160%) 110% account magic find would be cool too.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

I’ve been salvaging all the greens and blues and then selling the crafting mats making lots more gold than I have in the past. I made 40 gold just off of salvaged mats.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

the one thing I’ve learned: people don’t get longterm goals. They DON’T GET IT. “Ascended weapon? asap!! I want mine in 2 weeks, because it’s doable in 2 weeks. It is of course a grind.”

pah what’s wrong with people nowadays? Personally I play the game as before and accumulate the mats for an ascended weapon. When I got one… great. If I haven’t got one in a month. Why should I care?

The long term goals in gw2 wasn’t suppose to be about better gear though. It was about getting a legendary (or a different fancy skin that you wanted) or doing WvW or PvP. You were allowed to take a break and come back X months later and not be any far behind from the day you left. It wasn’t about having to grind out new gear, don’t forget by the time people get the ascend weapons for their main, armor will be right around the corner (will each piece also take 2 weeks to get minimum?) And while I’m not one, and I avoid those who are, there are elitists playing this game. “LFG COFp1 speed run, Zerker only” it’ll only take 2-3 months for that to become “ascended weapons only” and another 6 for it to be “only all ascended gear.”

And while I don’t really know where I stand on this argument, people who used magic find gear really weren’t compensated that much. But, I know they couldn’t be. If it was announced that each MF gear would give you X luck, people would just go and craft/buy all they could and defeat the purpose of the system. But for those that had a 2nd (or even 3rd) set of gear, being able to change your MF gear to something else, is worthless. Sure, you can get ectos or dark matter from it, but you can do that with any exotic.

When karma dropped like candy and you could get a full exotic set for either ~10g or some karma, anyone could easily try out different PvE builds or gear up alts. But it started with trinkets (which are only easy to get if you only have 1-2 characters) and now ascended weapons (and soon armor) to fully gear up 1 character will take months. That wasn’t what gw2 was about, at least not to me.

How would you feel if you only got 1 token/day for a dungeon path, but it still took the same amount of tokens to get exotic armor (and that was the only way to make it). It’s kinda similar to getting ascended gear now. I’m not against the time gating, but just against its entire introduction.

And the same thing goes for this MF, if you just rely on the daily/monthly you will never reach 100%, let alone 300%. You have to salvage, and a lot. My random speculation is just that this is Anets way of making us spend all the mats/gold/karma we gained last month. I just feel bad for any new comers (or people that only played casually last month), as they’re gonna feel it the most.

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

having 178 unbuffed magic-find was a lot easier to have when I just wore it. I’m still sad that it’s gone.

But now since I bought a few thousand greens before the patch I have 94% account magic-find and my magic infusion still works for another 20. So now I get to wear real stats (it’s strange being able to kill things) and have 114% base MF. And I don’t just vendor all my blues/greens.

Still wish I had MF gear though.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

It is supposed to be a long term goal. If everyone was able to get 300% MF in the first week the economy would be in shambles by next month.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I salvaged 10k blues and greens right after patch (alongside 60 exotics) and it put me bang on 100% MF. I am at 120% now and need 6000 luck points to fill my bar for the next % point. I still put buy orders for greens in over night but the pace of my bar filling got very slow. I dont think anybody will get to 300% anytime soon.

And for those that didnt now: You can refine the low tier essences of luck into higher tier essences as an artificer at no extra cost or loss of luck in the process.
After salvaging my 10k items, i had 35 stacks of blue essences in my bank. This saved me alot of clicking.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

300% is 4.9million luck

:x

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Personally I already salvaged all blues, greens I used to throw them into the MF for a chance at rares. I had more than enough ectos for my almost done legendary so I ws doing it just because there was a chance and I would rather take that chance than a flat 1 silver per green flat regardless. I need the mats and now I also get rewarded with some MF, though I used to have 106% MF before patch at expense of runes and some infusions, which decreased my effective power too little to notice. Yesterday I got a rare from a simple mob, I have gotten it before the changes but it sure felt nice.

As long as mats are my primary concern then I will keep salvaging.

A major thing this patch was the green salvaging without the UI question!!! It makes salvaging so much easier! I have 20 slots normal, 2 greens, 1 rare, 1 exotic and 1 hidden all 20 slots bags and I used to do this because I hated the question now Ijust go from top to bottom salvaging anything that falls before the rares and voila! Its amazing

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Zebulous.2934

Zebulous.2934

you do know an artificer can refine essences, so you end up using fewer clicks. Well many clicks for the salvaging itself, but not as many to use the essences.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

For every character on your account ?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Fortus.6175

you do know an artificer can refine essences, so you end up using fewer clicks. Well many clicks for the salvaging itself, but not as many to use the essences.

does it net the same ammount or less? does it cost?

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

where the hell are you people getting 10,000 slots to store all of this gear before you salvaged it? I admit that I haven’t expanded my bank at all but kitten ..thats a lot of space

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

where the hell are you people getting 10,000 slots to store all of this gear before you salvaged it? I admit that I haven’t expanded my bank at all but kitten ..thats a lot of space

If you purchase them on the tp, you can just leave them there until you are ready to start salvaging them.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Dingle.2743

Dingle.2743

does it net the same ammount or less? does it cost?

Same amount.

5 * 10 luck = 50 luck
2 * 50 luck = 100 luck
2 * 100 luck = 200 luck

Don’t think there was one to upconvert to 500 luck essences.

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

If you purchase them on the tp, you can just leave them there until you are ready to start salvaging them.

Ah..pretty smart thinking. Didn’t even cross my mind. Thanks

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

When you are done chasing MF [in five years], you can SELL your greens at quite a bit more than vendor price to people who are still in the hunt.

It will take millions of salvages to reach 300% mf, this seems a bit excessive. (bold added by me)

tolunart.2095

When you are done chasing MF [in five years], you can SELL your greens at quite a bit more than vendor price to people who are still in the hunt.

It will take millions of salvages to reach 300% mf, this seems a bit excessive. (bold added by me)

Wow, and it was so easy to reach 300% mf before… two traveller’s runes and an omnom bar and poof! 300%.

It’s a goal to strive for, not something to be handed out like beads at Mardi Gras.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Nike is right, long after you are done seeking MF many others will still be in the hunt.

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

Wow, and it was so easy to reach 300% mf before… two traveller’s runes and an omnom bar and poof! 300%.

It’s a goal to strive for, not something to be handed out like beads at Mardi Gras.

A difficult goal to strive for in an MMO should take months, maybe a year, not half the life of the game. If you love endless grind I can see how this change would be great for you. I bought GW2 because it was supposed to be the anti-grind MMO.

Besides goals should be challenges to be accomplished. This isn’t some difficult challenge with a great reward to be earned, it’s just a carrot on a stick to further add to the need to log in daily or fall further behind.

This addition is not some great mechanic… what is it they say you can’t polish?

tolunart.2095

What grind? Before the change I had a base of 80% mf on some of my alts because of runes, gear, etc. Two days after the change I have 42% account wide regardless of my gear. There is no grind, only impatience. You don’t have to get to “the end” a week after the update, the world won’t crash around your ears because you only have 150% mf for Halloween.

The only problem is the way people treat these games. You should have learned a year ago that rushing to the end just leaves you with nothing to work towards.

Gasoline.2570

I did reach 100% and the luck amount to proceed is 3190.

If the thing keeps going up we are going to be talking about such numbers like if you vendored blues and greens instead youd be getting x gold per 1 % in the very near future. It’s not about getting it right now but about what’s actually worth it at some point.

Some of you really think say 5+g for 1% is going to be worth it?

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Someone posted a figure somewhere of needing around 4,000,000 luck to reach 300% mf. This is like some of the long stretches you had for HoM titles in GW1… you’re not supposed to ding 300% in a week on this, embrace the fact that there are in fact some long-term goals in GW2.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Gasoline.2570

You may look at is an achievement but I’m saying will it be worth it at some point where 1% is 1 gold in straight up money..

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

You don’t have to salvage items to get 300% luck. You get 50 from each daily and 500 from monthly so it’s 2000 each month. It will take you only about 166 years to get to 300%. It’s a long term goal.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I have a sneaky suspicion that getting luck to 300% will mean having a drop rates as they were at launch. What a long winded nerf that would be if so.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

You don’t have to salvage items to get 300% luck. You get 50 from each daily and 500 from monthly so it’s 2000 each month. It will take you only about 166 years to get to 300%. It’s a long term goal.

Do the same calculation of how quickly you’ll get ascended weapons/armour, precursor (when it can be crafted) or even legendary with just doing dailies/monthlies… yes, minimum effort will make it a very long term goal. Putting in a lot more will probably reduce that to a few months.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Do the same calculation of how quickly you’ll get ascended weapons/armour, precursor (when it can be crafted) or even legendary with just doing dailies/monthlies… yes, minimum effort will make it a very long term goal. Putting in a lot more will probably reduce that to a few months.

I’m pretty sure that I can’t even count that far, but a rough guess would be that when you finish your legendary, you will be living in Mars.

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

If the thing keeps going up we are going to be talking about such numbers like if you vendored blues and greens instead youd be getting x gold per 1 % in the very near future. It’s not about getting it right now but about what’s actually worth it at some point.

Eventually yes. If you play enough, that 300% MF is going to end up paying you back by giving you better drops. Drops you can then sell. Are you going to see an immediate return on your investment? No. But yes, eventually for those players that play a lot, it will be a worthy investment. Will getting from 299% to 300% be worth the jump? Well I guess that depends. However going from 250% to 300% certainly would be, even if each level is several gold worth of items….

Gasoline.2570

Eventually yes. If you play enough, that 300% MF is going to end up paying you back by giving you better drops. Drops you can then sell. Are you going to see an immediate return on your investment? No. But yes, eventually for those players that play a lot, it will be a worthy investment. Will getting from 299% to 300% be worth the jump? Well I guess that depends. However going from 250% to 300% certainly would be, even if each level is several gold worth of items….

What if each level is 10 to 50 gold ?

Fortus.6175

I dont like to think of it as money, the moment you do that you put value to it and value of things changes over time. For example I only think of money as flat amounts and do not account for any materials I have in the inventory. Sure I follow some parts of the TP for potential sales and maximun profit, but as someone who wants to collect weapons I like to think that, given how I take long term commitments with games, on the long run, MF might pay off.

I used to have 106% MF flat without any buffs only from runes infusion and guild buff, once I reach that point I would have all I needed and had. Anything after that is a bonus, I already salvaged a lot of stuff fo materials. You people keep forgetting that but, materials ARE worth something too! Greens hav higher chances at ori and ancient logs. At the current market prices a single ori is worth about 3-4 greens, and an ancient log about 9-10 greens.

With those material (mithril and elder logs together with t5 mats) you can easily craft some stuff which you can : 1) throw into the MF for exotics which sell hih now, or 2) sell at TP for some flat profit or 3) salvage for chances for 2-3 ectos which would pay off the investement for sure!

People, look at the other side always, dont think in flat profit only, take a gamble, think in how long are your long term goals and work around them. The economy is undergoing a lot o changes now, learn the patterns and learn to adapt. Remember that materials sitting in your banks and are absolutely nothing unless you use them or sell them. Value of things change overtime (as they do in life) so take advantage of it. I currently believe long term profit will benefice us ALL on the long run; we dont have enough mats in the game, we dont need more gold, everytime you sell a weapon to avendor you are sinking mats and rising the value of gold, actually making that gold you just got a lot less valuable.

I wish people had a better understanding of some basic economic stuff like these…

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Yaos.4528

Yaos.4528

I think of magic find as paragon levels from Diablo. We just need a way to increase gold find and the circle will be complete.