Lucky Envelopes + MF: All or only "account"?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Veron.8645

Veron.8645

Q:

The patch notes say:

The rewards in these envelopes are affected by account magic find.

The tool tips say:

Affected by magic find

We know that at a given time, your effective magic find is a sum of your account magic find (from luck, AP rewards) and your character magic find (from infusion, food, utility, banners, guild buff, bonfire, Silverwastes, etc.). [wiki if you need it]

So the question is: does your character magic find also affect the Lucky Envelopes (so it’s all magic find) or is it only the account magic find?

Veron Oakguard | Wiki: Veron | Reddit: /u/OaksFromAcorns | Vintage Gaming [VG] (JQ) • Attuned [Att]

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

I want to know the answer as well.

Glorious Human Master Race

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

ditto, I’d like to think that MF is MF, not good to start splitting to different kinds of MF

Posted by: Nick.7259

Nick.7259

Before Silverwastes MF was pretty much one thing even though it had a lot of different sources.

Then with Silverwastes we got new Magic find mechanics with the Perserverance building up when doing events and giving “Bonus magic find” when opening lost bandit chests. Now we get this talk about “account magic find”. The new food is giving Magic find buffs during the Lunar event.

I don’t really like the way this is going. To me it’s not really clear how all these mechanics work and there has been a lot of different theories going about in my guild. I do hope it won’t get more messy than it already is.

I guess the MF affecting the letters is the account based MF. That means the MF we get from Luck and from Achievements.

If it would be the character based luck then we should max perserverance, kill vinewrath, grab MF banner and Guild buff, take MF booster, laurel MF booster and celebration boster, add utility infusion and food/utility buffs before opening letters? Sure, it could be that way, but I doubt it…

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If it would be the character based luck then we should max perserverance, kill vinewrath, grab MF banner and Guild buff, take MF booster, laurel MF booster and celebration boster, add utility infusion and food/utility buffs before opening letters? Sure, it could be that way, but I doubt it…

All those things would be a(or the) reason it only works off of account magic find.

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

All those things would be a(or the) reason it only works off of account magic find.

I would think that… Except most of the festival food comes with MF, not likely a coincidence.

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

My goodness, we can’t even get a quick response about MF when it’s a core mechanic of this game and there is conflicting information. Inconsistent and silent – what more did we expect from Anet? (I didn’t used to be so negative, I swear!)

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I opened 11 Divine Envelopes before reset without any MF buffs. Then opened another 11 after reset with my character fully buffed (for me) to 647%. No difference at all in the returns. Pretty ticked off right now since the envelopes specifically say “Magic Find” and not “Account Magic Find”. I wasn’t even aware such a metric existed until I asked in DR’s map chat. There someone informed me of this “account” magic find bs.

TY Dev’s for not only giving me content that’s an incredible gold sink but, a booster and influence sink as well.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

I opened 11 Divine Envelopes before reset without any MF buffs. Then opened another 11 after reset with my character fully buffed (for me) to 647%. No difference at all in the returns. Pretty ticked off right now since the envelopes specifically say “Magic Find” and not “Account Magic Find”. I wasn’t even aware such a metric existed until I asked in DR’s map chat. There someone informed me of this “account” magic find bs.

TY Dev’s for not only giving me content that’s an incredible gold sink but, a booster and influence sink as well.

In fairness the RNG may just be unfavorable in your second 11, or been really favorable in your first 11… (After all if this was ToT bags, winters day boxes, or champ bags everyone would be telling you it wasn’t a large enough sample size)

Personally my issue stems from the fact that there is no reward for opening them in the first place.
1. Vender junk (nice, because it helps cover costs)
2. Random food (nice, but I’ll buy it from TP)
3. Fireworks (cool and unique, but consumable and extremely limited)
4. Ugly as kitten back piece…

No Minis, tonics, unique (read: good) skins…
Granted I’ll buy them everyday because I like collecting skins, even if I never use them.

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

DeWolfe.2174

Anything on this topic yet?

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Nick.7259

Nick.7259

I guess the Fireworks with exp boost could be useful when HoT comes out (it seems earning experience in PvE might advance masteries). But I doubt I will save any for HoT anyway…

I enjoyed the wintersday presents a lot more with much larger diversity and usefulness dispite many clicks and junk too.

DeWolfe.2174

I guess the Fireworks with exp boost could be useful when HoT comes out (it seems earning experience in PvE might advance masteries). But I doubt I will save any for HoT anyway…

I enjoyed the wintersday presents a lot more with much larger diversity and usefulness dispite many clicks and junk too.

True, they may be handy in the future. Though I’d really like a response from Anet on what magic find is being used, the account or total character. Since the patch notes and the actual items do not say the same thing. And, if it’s account magic find, wouldn’t this envelope concept disproportionately benefit those already very wealthy in game?

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

WoodenPotatoes wrote in the description of his latest video that it only considers account-wide magic find (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k7_nb0w0JU)

He said in the audio itself that it would be worth using MF boosters before opening… but I would say he has a credible source to actually correct this in the video description.

DeWolfe.2174

Then I really wouldn’t be surprised to read about a couple of maxed out MF players posting, “lol… I made 1k gold just opening Envelopes off the TP.”

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Veron.8645

Veron.8645

Still hoping to get a clarification from Anet here…

Veron Oakguard | Wiki: Veron | Reddit: /u/OaksFromAcorns | Vintage Gaming [VG] (JQ) • Attuned [Att]

Posted by: tenklo.6104

tenklo.6104

I have done it with like 200mf and with a vinewrath and every magicfind food booster etc to get 514 mf…i notice a big difference in the type of fireworks and the magice find drops went from blues to yellow…also got great ram backpiece with the 514 mf

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

“The rewards in these envelopes are affected by account magic find.”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-February-10-2015/first#post4782726

If it was character MF included then they would have not specified account magic find but just simply magic find.

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

We know what the patch notes say. The point of this post was that the patch notes and tool tip for the envelope state different things, thus asking for clarification.

I think we are mostly assuming it’s account MF, but a clarification would be welcome.

DeWolfe.2174

OK, according to a thread on Reddit, from the small sample size of 250 it does appear character magic find is affecting drop rates. See, this is where the Dev’s REALLY should get on the ball here and figure this out.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.