Luminous weapon skins

Luminous weapon skins

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zodi.8932

Zodi.8932

So when I saw these skins data mined last month I instantly fell in love. These are easily my favourite weapon skins in the game and I assumed they would be part of the expansion which made me even more excited.

When I found out today they are only for the 5th Birthday present I was completely heartbroken.

Anet please add another way to obtain these! I don’t even mind if its hard or expensive.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Scarycarebear.4125

Scarycarebear.4125

Agreed, it would be really nice to have another way to get them!

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: ShaeMtal.9473

ShaeMtal.9473

I like this as a reward for sticking with a character for a long time. Beats duplicate minis and dye packs, which we’ve had plenty of so far.

Don’t mind these being only in the 5th year presents. When you start reaching that age on a character, it ought to be rewarded in a unique way that can’t be gotten elsewhere.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

They’re not in the presents. They come with the 5th birthday achievement, so only 2 per year. (I picked shield and scepter.)

Just 365 more days for another 2 of them, presumably!

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: ShaeMtal.9473

ShaeMtal.9473

My bad, the effect is more or less the same tho, a nice reward for sticking with the character (and the game) for so long. Keep it as it is!

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

They’re not in the presents. They come with the 5th birthday achievement, so only 2 per year. (I picked shield and scepter.)

2 pEr account not per character or per year.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: GWMO.4785

GWMO.4785

you can always go for auric skins as an alternative ..hides*

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

2 per account, but we may get another selection for year 6 like they did with the backpacks

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Atramentous.1923

Atramentous.1923

Why would they do that? This is a gift for people who been there from the beginning. Wait for your 5th birthday or deal with it, please.

Community of this game is funny, they would like to have everything easily accessible. Some other dude started bashing Anet in another thread because they did not contain Perma Frost Dye in the present. This is just ridiculous.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Do you know what “presumably” means? The word was part of my assumption. Unless you know your claim to be 100% factual, you should add it to yours.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Zodi.8932

Zodi.8932

Why would they do that? This is a gift for people who been there from the beginning. Wait for your 5th birthday or deal with it, please.

Community of this game is funny, they would like to have everything easily accessible. Some other dude started bashing Anet in another thread because they did not contain Perma Frost Dye in the present. This is just ridiculous.

Oh trust me, I’m one of the main people thinking things in this game are too easy to obtain and people moan too much but your comment is completely irrelevant here. Notice how I said I don’t mind it being hard to obtain as long as it’s actually possible to obtain.

These are amazing looking skins and my favourites. I started GW2 late so I’m really expected to wait 3 more years to get these skins that I love? No that’s just a joke.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Daniel.4763

Daniel.4763

Those skins look beautiful. I can’t wait to go home and agonize over which two to pick! I’m just glad I get to pick two. Not sure if I’ll go with the staff or two one-handeds.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Those skins look beautiful. I can’t wait to go home and agonize over which two to pick! I’m just glad I get to pick two. Not sure if I’ll go with the staff or two one-handeds.

Why do you need to go home before you start agonizing over which two? I won’t be home for hours yet and am already pulling my hair out trying to decide.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Vindicus.2130

Vindicus.2130

These skins are amazing, like some of them are legendary quality. I really love them. I selected my 2, GS and Sword and was sad to find out I couldn’t get any more of them. I really want like half a dozen more, or better yet, all of them. Please add a way for people who have completed the 5th year achievement to obtain more of the skins!

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Babai.7531

Babai.7531

Please add a way for people who have completed the 5th year achievement to obtain more of the skins!

You will get another pair as a part of 6th year achievement.
To be honest some of them much better then others. Both swords and dagger looks incredible and very close to legendary but staff/scepter not glorious enough.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Atramentous.1923

Atramentous.1923

Oh trust me, I’m one of the main people thinking things in this game are too easy to obtain and people moan too much but your comment is completely irrelevant here. Notice how I said I don’t mind it being hard to obtain as long as it’s actually possible to obtain.

These are amazing looking skins and my favourites. I started GW2 late so I’m really expected to wait 3 more years to get these skins that I love? No that’s just a joke.

I wouldn’t say it’s irrelevant. It’s just there are varieties of difficulties and versions of “hard”. For some pieces of gear you got to be finishing a raid, for other you gotta gather countless collection items and it just happens that for those particular pieces, you got to have a character that is over 5 years old. Tough luck.

Even though I play this game since GW1 release, I have come across the forums recently (been active for a while @ GW2’s launch only). And what struck me the most, is how the MMO player base has changed over last 15 years, hell, even the last 3. I just keep on seeing people here, moaning about not getting what they want, in the way they want.

I want to get pinnacle weapons which are available from 29+k achievements, yet I’ve got only 11. Anet pls add them to the birthday presents!

(edited by Atramentous.1923)

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Do you know what “presumably” means?

This made me laugh probably more than it should have.

TBH I personally think its unlikely that this will be the only source of these weapons, because that would mean we would probably need 7 years from now to complete the set, that just seems a bit odd to me, even by Anet standards.

(edited by Vavume.8065)

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Mordachai.1896

Mordachai.1896

I wouldn’t say it’s irrelevant. It’s just there are varieties of difficulties and versions of “hard”. For some pieces of gear you got to be finishing a raid, for other you gotta gather countless collection items and it just happens that for those particular pieces, you got to have a character that is over 5 years old. Tough luck.

Even though I play this game since GW1 release, I have come across the forums recently (been active for a while @ GW2’s launch only). And what struck me the most, is how the MMO player base has changed over last 15 years, hell, even the last 3. I just keep on seeing people here, moaning about not getting what they want, in the way they want.

I want to get pinnacle weapons which are available from 29+k achievements, yet I’ve got only 11. Anet pls add them to the birthday presents!

The point isnt that you have to have a toon thats 5 years old, im fine with that.. Heck, i have 14 of those. The point is that after you pick your two skins there isnt a way to get the other skins, which is somewhat of a letdown for people like me who gear their toons with matching sets of weapons.

Your Pinnacle weapons require work, but atleast you CAN get them. Thats not the case here.. You CAN get 2, but CANT get the other 14.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

If it follows suit with last year’s backpacks, you will be able to get others in the coming years.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

Luminous weapon skins

Mordachai.1896

which will then take 7 more years to get the full set.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, I don’t know. The Anniversary Backpack skins were/are a 5-year plan. It’s not that much different to have a 7-year plan. (Obtaining all Pinnacle skins are a long-term plan, as well.)

I’m sure it will depend on how the game is faring in the future. The skins might be released sooner if the game doesn’t fare well, but then…it won’t matter that much whether we have the skins, or not. /shrug

Luminous weapon skins

Mordachai.1896

Actually, it would be a 13 year plan. First you have to get to your 5th birthday to get the first set of 2, then 2 per year for the next 7 years.

Apart from that, most people dont even show their backpacks, and if they do they dont switch the skins out as often. Weapons however.. you change those out depending on which build youre playing.

So again, for those of us who like matching sets…. its a letdown.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

2 per account not per character or per year.

You get to pick two with the one time achievement:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Anniversary_Backpack_and_Weapon_Pack_Combo

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

I was really happy to get these. Having had all the dyes, birthdays have been kind of meh (and this year, skipping a set didn’t work since Jormag dyes weren’t in there). But the backpiece (and being able to get the Grove this year after getting the Charr backpiece last year) makes the first day’s gift something special. I really like these skins, just have to decide how to split it so one character can use them and be fully equipped. Want to use the greatsword for sure, not sure what to do about the other.

Leaning toward axe though, because there really aren’t a lot of nice axe skins. Sword is nice, but there are a lot of nice sword skins.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Despond.2174

Despond.2174

The shield is one of the best shield skins in the game, looks amazing front and back. My dilemma is do I go with the sword+shield combo that looks out of the world or get GS+LB. The GS looks like a legendary, same as the sword.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Actually, it would be a 13 year plan. First you have to get to your 5th birthday to get the first set of 2, then 2 per year for the next 7 years.

Apart from that, most people dont even show their backpacks, and if they do they dont switch the skins out as often. Weapons however.. you change those out depending on which build youre playing.

It’s good that you can only see this from one point of view. The world is a complex place and keeping things simple is very comforting.

Other points of view include:

• If there’s another way to obtain it, it’s a grind for some people instead of a nice freebie.
  • If there’s another way to obtain it, it’s no longer special as a gift.
  • Humans tender to undervalue things that are free. We collect “free skins” and then dismiss them as boring. Making us choose gives us an opportunity to appreciate them.

Or in other words, isn’t it good to have some variety in the game with how skins are obtained? Some easily, some with great effort & expense, and everything in between.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I managed to decide I like the blades the most even though all the skins are lovely. Problem: There are three blades. And I use all three types quite frequently across my alts. Sword and dagger might be most used (I foresee my Weaver using that) but that GS is soooo nice. So even having narrowed it down that much, I still have paralysis of choice!

Sword is super nice though and used by tons of professions so I think that will be one of the two. Then it’s hair pulling time on dagger vs GS. Whyyyy ANet whyyyyyyyy!

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i looked at them and i thought “is this it?”, no really, i waited 5 years for weapons that look as bad (or worse) the lion arch weapons?

Luminous weapon skins

Mordachai.1896

It’s good that you can only see this from one point of view. The world is a complex place and keeping things simple is very comforting.

• If there’s another way to obtain it, it’s a grind for some people instead of a nice freebie.
  • Humans tender to undervalue things that are free. We collect “free skins” and then dismiss them as boring. Making us choose gives us an opportunity to appreciate them.

Or in other words, isn’t it good to have some variety in the game with how skins are obtained? Some easily, some with great effort & expense, and everything in between.

Nothing in my posts indicates that i do not see other people’s points of view, yet you assume that i only want to see things my way. Which is amusing since personally i would not even use the weaponset on any of my toons (too shiny for my taste).

I am merely voicing MY opinion. It is not my job to voice the opinion of others; let them do that themselves.

And indeed, it is nice that there is variety in the ways skins are obtained, as long as they are obtainable (in a decent timeframe).

I dont raid, but you wont ever hear me complain about legendary armor because if i wanted it, i would raid for it. Same goes for fractal skins: I love that greatsword you can get when you complete fractal #100 (i think), so if i really want that, ill work for it. You may hear me nag every once in a while about the krytan harpoon that you could get from the old pvp chests, which is now unobtainable.

See the difference there?

(edited by Mordachai.1896)

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: EnidLarr.1478

EnidLarr.1478

so my account has to be at least 12 months old to get a birthday present?

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

A character must be 1 year old to get the 1 year present and so forth for each character

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

I was in a bit of agony wondering what Sword I should run with for my Holosmith and man, oh man, am I happy this came out.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

did you know that you were born on the same date as your birthday, isn’t that a kicker….

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Nothing in my posts indicates that i do not see other people’s points of view, yet you assume that i only want to see things my way. Which is amusing since personally i would not even use the weaponset on any of my toons (too shiny for my taste).

I am merely voicing MY opinion. It is not my job to voice the opinion of others; let them do that themselves.

And indeed, it is nice that there is variety in the ways skins are obtained, as long as they are obtainable (in a decent timeframe).

I dont raid, but you wont ever hear me complain about legendary armor because if i wanted it, i would raid for it. Same goes for fractal skins: I love that greatsword you can get when you complete fractal #100 (i think), so if i really want that, ill work for it. You may hear me nag every once in a while about the krytan harpoon that you could get from the old pvp chests, which is now unobtainable.

I don’t expect you to voice the concerns of others. I find it interesting that you did. (“Most people don’t…”) If you had left it at, “I would prefer to unlock all the weapons this year,” I wouldn’t have responded at all.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Aury.1367

Aury.1367

Its a gift for old chars which doesnt give you any benefit at all except the skin. Just wait. By adding another way of obtaining these, all those 5 year old character will have a less worthy reward. So by giving you the skin on an easier way, all others will be “less” special.

Luminous weapon skins

Mordachai.1896

I don’t expect you to voice the concerns of others. I find it interesting that you did. (“Most people don’t…”) If you had left it at, “I would prefer to unlock all the weapons this year,” I wouldn’t have responded at all.

To be fair, you took my “most people dont..” remark out of context. I was stating an observation i made, not voicing anyone else’s opinion. I can count the times that i have seen anyone wearing the anniversary backpacks on one hand and still have fingers left.

However, i do admit voicing my guild’s opinion when i said “those who like to use matching gear, like me”, so you got me on that one.

Luminous weapon skins

Mordachai.1896

Its a gift for old chars which doesnt give you any benefit at all except the skin. Just wait. By adding another way of obtaining these, all those 5 year old character will have a less worthy reward. So by giving you the skin on an easier way, all others will be “less” special.

Wait for what exactly? Anet has not stated the weapons will be a yearly thing and it is a onetime achievement reward for the first toon that hits the 5 year birthday.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

And yet, they are bundled in with the Backpacks in the Anniversary package. Although, not explicitly stated, one could assume they would use the same mechanic as the Backpacks.

Who knows?

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Sword and gs are so bae

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Witch of Doom.5739

Witch of Doom.5739

It was tough to choose. I obsessively analyzed a video showing all the skins both wielded and stowed, and ended up choosing the greatsword, which looks amazing, and the short bow, which doesn’t look amazing but which I wanted anyway. The shield’s pretty great, too.

Luminous weapon skins

Posted by: Astra Lux.2846

Astra Lux.2846

It’s not for people who have been here since the beginning, it’s for people who have characters who have been there. My account is five years old, but I won’t receive anything for it. It’s mostly frustrating because some of this stuff is tied to the anniversary achievements, which should be account-based.