Lunar New Year for an event???

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PulsarianDevil.8125

PulsarianDevil.8125

Hello GW2 Community,

I just found it very odd that the developers chose the lunar new year for an event in GW2. I honestly hadn’t even heard of the lunar new year before, and I’m almost 30 years old! It must be really important! Is it celebrated in China or Afghanistan or something? At this rate, we might just get our wish for an event for Columbus Day!! haha

In any event, I’m just curious as to why the lunar new year was chosen, of all possible events during the year?

Cheers,

Hildace (Mike)

Posted by: Vepo.4208

Vepo.4208

Dear, PulsarianDevil (Mike),

On behalf of the rest of the World, I want to apologise that we have events on a yearly basis, that do not exist within the United States.

We do hope you will find it within your heart to understand, that there is more outside the borders of the United States. Please allow us to enjoy our regional celebrations and that Arena.net wish to share in those celebrations with the rest of the community based all over the World.

However; I do find it difficult to understand why you would say that the Lunar New Year was possibly from Afghanistan, when the Lunar New Year is a Chinese celebration.

Afghanistan has Islamic holidays, as I’m sure you know that they are located within the Middle East and not Asian.

I’m 33 and we were educated to understand the different cultures/religions/national holidays around the WHOLE WORLD and not just the country we were born/live/educated/work.

Character: Doowie – Ranger / Dow Dow – Thief / Unknown – Revenant
Guild: Rebellious New Generation [RNG] / Server: Aurora Glade – EN
Twitch: http://www.Twitch.tv/DoowieEU

(edited by Vepo.4208)

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

It was an event in Guild Wars 1: Factions, which had an Asian style/setting.

Also: Columbus isn’t Tyrian, so I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Maybe there’s a famous Tyrian explorer they could celebrate, but I can’t say I can think of one, unless “Nicholas The Traveler” counts…

(edited by Raire.7983)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The Canthan New Year in Guild Wars 1 was one of the most popular events in that game. There are tons of holidays not celebrated in America. This is one of them.

I would think people would welcome a chance to grow their experience of the world they live in.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Hello GW2 Community,

I just found it very odd that the developers chose the lunar new year for an event in GW2. I honestly hadn’t even heard of the lunar new year before, and I’m almost 30 years old! It must be really important! Is it celebrated in China or Afghanistan or something? At this rate, we might just get our wish for an event for Columbus Day!! haha

In any event, I’m just curious as to why the lunar new year was chosen, of all possible events during the year?

Cheers,

Hildace (Mike)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_New_Year

PulsarianDevil.8125

On behalf of the rest of the World, I want to apologise that we have events on a yearly basis, that do not exist within the United States.

We do hope you will find it within your heart to understand, that there is more outside the borders of the United States. Please allow us to enjoy our regional celebrations and that Arena.net wish to share in those celebrations with the rest of the community based all over the World.

However; I do find it difficult to understand why you would say that the Lunar New Year was possibly from Afghanistan, when the Lunar New Year is a Chinese celebration.

Afghanistan has Islamic holidays, as I’m sure you know that they are located within the Middle East and not Asian.

I’m 33 and we were educated to understand the different cultures/religions/national holidays around the WHOLE WORLD and not just the country we were born/live/educated/work.

At least my first guess was China. I do get some credit lol!

Cheers!

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

The whole event is china fan service only which we’re getting too because the clients were merged and why not to milk NA/EU comunity too?

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Milk the NA/EU community for what exactly?

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The whole event is china fan service only which we’re getting too because the clients were merged and why not to milk NA/EU comunity too?

And had they added it only to the Chinese client people would rage like mad about the Chinese getting an event we didn’t.

Kitten if they do, kitten if they don’t.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Ardenwolfe.8590

And had they added it only to the Chinese client people would rage like mad about the Chinese getting an event we didn’t.

Kitten if they do, kitten if they don’t.

Pretty insightful actually. Agreed.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

OP is probably one of those guys who wonder why the hell people in EU are working on 4th of July.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

So it is a holiday for a region which does not play this version of the game ? How does that justify the inclusion of a Chinese holiday in the non-Chinese version of the game ? Do games that are released only in China include fourth of July festivals or something ?

I am glad to see the holiday included as it is a continuation of a tradition started in GW1.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

So it is a holiday for a region which does not play this version of the game ? How does that justify the inclusion of a Chinese holiday in the non-Chinese version of the game ? Do games that are released only in China include fourth of July festivals or something ?

I am glad to see the holiday included as it is a continuation of a tradition started in GW1.

Well if it’s any consolation they didn’t spend much development resources on this particular festival.

One – Piken Square

Ardenwolfe.8590

The ram is the front is very pretty though.

Gone to Reddit.

Ashen.2907

Well if it’s any consolation they didn’t spend much development resources on this particular festival.

Dont get me wrong, I am happy to see the holiday included. Always have enjoyed it. Just didnt like the argument made by the player I quoted.

lordkrall.7241

But it is not Canthan New Year.
It is Lunar New Year. It has no ties to Cantha so I really don’t see why it would be better if we did have Cantha.

I am fully aware that there is a country called China. I am also fully aware that they have their New Year on February 19th this year. And I don’t even know any Chinese people, but clearly I can see the context.

Being ignorant of the world outside your own country does not mean things are without context.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

segman.3560

I’d agree if we celebrated every culture’s new year.
This is china fan service and milky way for us. Nothing more.

Ashen.2907

It is Lunar New Year. It has no ties to Cantha so I really don’t see why it would be better if we did have Cantha.

I am fully aware that there is a country called China. I am also fully aware that they have their New Year on February 19th this year. And I don’t even know any Chinese people, but clearly I can see the context.

Being ignorant of the world outside your own country does not mean things are without context.

What relevant context ? China does not have access to this version of the game. What is the context for including a national holiday for a nation that cannot play this game in this game ?

Ardenwolfe.8590

You are aware not every culture on the planet recognizes Halloween and Christmas, right? Using your logic, we can also say those events are European ‘fan service’ or words to that effect.

I hope you see how your argument falls apart there.

Edit: Please be aware that the Chinese New Year is not just for China. Also, many people recognize and celebrate the holiday outside of Asia. There are Asians in the west, you know, who celebrate that holiday.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

lordkrall.7241

So, how many other cultures make a big thing out of the new year? And how many of them have a large enough playerbase in Guild Wars 2 to validate spending time on creating a specific event for them?

I still wonder what they are milking.
As far as I am aware there is nothing in there that requires payment.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

segman.3560

If china players don’t agree with halloween or other ‘western’ festivals it’s their right to complain. I am not chinese nor playing china client therefore what I care is my version of the game only.

Everybody for himself.

can’t answer with new post because of terrible forum managemant censoring me; after flood control expires I’ll answer you with wall of text

Toodles

(edited by segman.3560)

lordkrall.7241

What relevant context ? China does not have access to this version of the game. What is the context for including a national holiday for a nation that cannot play this game in this game ?

The context is that China is celebrating the new year soon. And that is rather relevant to a in-game celebration of the new year. Thus the context is relevant.

China have access to the exact same content as us. The clients are basically the same (with some extra stuff (such as VIP system) and some extra restrictions unlocked in the Chinese version).

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I’d agree if we celebrated every culture’s new year.
This is china fan service and milky way for us. Nothing more.

Actually this holiday existed in GW1 since Factions. They just brought it back.

maddoctor.2738

The holiday is for Cantha not China. Cantha is loosely based on China but it’s not the same thing.

Ashen.2907

The context is that China is celebrating the new year soon. And that is rather relevant to a in-game celebration of the new year. Thus the context is relevant.

China have access to the exact same content as us. The clients are basically the same (with some extra stuff (such as VIP system) and some extra restrictions unlocked in the Chinese version).

They are essentially two separate games. We cannot play with them nor they with us. They even have different reward possibilities than we for this event as I recall (correct me if I am wrong but isnt that dragon mini exclusive to their version?)

Like I said before, I like the event, I love the connection to a GW1 tradition, and (for what its worth) I am from the San Francisco area where Chinese New Year is a very popular (and one of the more interesting) holidays. But some of the PC arguments being made to support inclusion are a bit off. not the inclusion of the holiday, just the arguments.

lordkrall.7241

But we still get the same releases.
There have, as far as I am aware, never been any release since launch in China that wasn’t applied to both clients.

As for the mini dragon I believe that is for getting a certain VIP rank, rather than as a reward for this specific festival.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Ashen.2907

But we still get the same releases.
There have, as far as I am aware, never been any release since launch in China that wasn’t applied to both clients.

As for the mini dragon I believe that is for getting a certain VIP rank, rather than as a reward for this specific festival.

Ahh, well if it is part of their monetization system that is different.

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

I take it the ppl objecting dont like the Imperial outfit or the crimson lion skins.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

segman.3560

The holiday is for Cantha not China. Cantha is loosely based on China but it’s not the same thing.

No it isn’t. Cantha is a mix of different asian cultures which is why ncsoft banned any plans for cantha in gw2 as far as I know. And it was always called canthan new year in the better game. In this game it is lunar new year and the only reason it exists is china.

maddoctor.2738

No it isn’t. Cantha is a mix of different asian cultures which is why ncsoft banned any plans for cantha in gw2 as far as I know. And it was always called canthan new year in the better game. In this game it is lunar new year and the only reason it exists is china.

They couldn’t name it “Canthan New Year” with Cantha being “unavailable”. And the only reason it exists is because they had to add some content while we wait for the expansion release. But, since we are around the time of the Canthan New Year, they introduced this festival.

segman.3560

They couldn’t name it “Canthan New Year” with Cantha being “unavailable”. And the only reason it exists is because they had to add some content while we wait for the expansion release. But, since we are around the time of the Canthan New Year, they introduced this festival.

If they “had to” release sth, the only reason is cash shop.
My argument stands. This is milky way!

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

There are over 50 million Chinese People living outside of China.
In Europe, only Germany, France, the UK and Italy have a bigger population.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Vepo.4208

@Ashen.2907

Just because there is a regional holiday, doesn’t mean that country has to be playing the game. The Chinese Lunar New Year is celebrated all over the world because we have many who are from China or have relatives (but they live in the United States or Europe) and they want to maybe experience it a little, even if it’s through a computer game.

Of course there will be people who will complain, but they are those who will complain for the sake of complaining. The kind of people who should never been allowed anywhere near a computer/smartphone.

That wasn’t a rant at you, but just in general to those who don’t like change or seeing something different. Having the same routine can become boring very quickly for many. So just adding something different to spicy it up, is always welcome.

@Tom Gore.4035

Would you have preferred that they took the time off making the Heart of Thorns expansion to have more man hours places on a temporary event? Or that they throw a few developers (this including design/programming/sound and others) onto making this small event, while everyone else can focus on getting the expansion completed for everyone as soon as possible?

You personally may not like the event, but that doesn’t mean that everyone else shares your opinion. There will be future events, which may be better or worse in your opinion, but this is where constructive feedback needs to be provided.

Saying “Oh they never spent enough money on creating this” for example, is just a post made by someone who wishes to complain for the attention.

@Ardenwolfe.8590

That is indeed correct. Halloween is a very American and Europe thing and most European countries even is celebrate Halloween either.

However the bottom line is that people will complain for something that has no direct impact on their lives or the way they play their character. You aren’t forced into playing Dragon Ball or any other events that are added into the game for a very short period of time.

So just enjoy what you have access too and be glad you don’t have to pay a monthly fee to access Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I would like to point out that the part of Divinity’s Reach decorated for the New Year is the part that was intended to be the Canthan district. Having the holiday mostly showing there is a small nod to that fact.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Ashen.2907

Vepo,

As mentioned previously I am happy with the inclusion of the Lunar New Year holiday.

My contention was with the argument(s), yours in particular to be honest, made to oppose the OP’s opinion.

As you say, Halloween is largely a NA/EU holiday….and we are playing on NA/EU servers of a game that cannot be accessed in the nation in which the Lunar New Year holidY originates. I disagree with the OP’s opinion but it is not unreasonable to question the inclusion of a Chinese holiday in a game not available in China and in which frequently requested asian content has been excluded.

segman.3560

I would like to point out that the part of Divinity’s Reach decorated for the New Year is the part that was intended to be the Canthan district. Having the holiday mostly showing there is a small nod to that fact.

not really, new wintersday took place near pavillion too; the district was created for festivals and if we didn’t have LA destroyed I am almost sure the CHINA new year would be celebrated there

Ardenwolfe.8590

@Ardenwolfe.8590

That is indeed correct. Halloween is a very American and Europe thing and most European countries even is celebrate Halloween either.

However the bottom line is that people will complain for something that has no direct impact on their lives or the way they play their character. You aren’t forced into playing Dragon Ball or any other events that are added into the game for a very short period of time.

So just enjoy what you have access too and be glad you don’t have to pay a monthly fee to access Guild Wars 2.

Agreed and well said.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

The Canthan New Year in Guild Wars 1 was one of the most popular events in that game. There are tons of holidays not celebrated in America. This is one of them.

I would think people would welcome a chance to grow their experience of the world they live in.

Agreed. Meanwhile, in modern day Tyria, our characters may not be able to visit Cantha, but some of them — a lot of them, I daresay — are of Canthan ancestry. So, party on, Cantha!

The table is a fable.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Excellent point. Obviously Mai Trin and Marjory Delaqua, for example, have Canthan ancestry.

Gone to Reddit.

Ashen.2907

Agreed. Meanwhile, in modern day Tyria, our characters may not be able to visit Cantha, but some of them — a lot of them, I daresay — are of Canthan ancestry. So, party on, Cantha!

Solid point. From a lore perspective, even if intermarriage might lead to dution of heritage over a couple of centuries, the significant Canthan presence in Tyria wouldiky have led to some adoption of Canthan customs in Thria. Particularly one that provides an excuse to get drunk and blow things up with fireworks.

segman.3560

Mai Trin, Marjory, Her sister and rest of the family we’ve never seen on screen.

Yeah…. lots and lots of canthan descendants to celebrate. L O L

Ardenwolfe.8590

Mai Trin, Marjory, Her sister and rest of the family we’ve never seen on screen.

You’re kidding, right? You are fully aware you can also make your character look like he or she’s legacy comes from Cantha?

Right?

Gone to Reddit.

Vepo.4208

Vepo,

As mentioned previously I am happy with the inclusion of the Lunar New Year holiday.

My contention was with the argument(s), yours in particular to be honest, made to oppose the OP’s opinion.

As you say, Halloween is largely a NA/EU holiday….and we are playing on NA/EU servers of a game that cannot be accessed in the nation in which the Lunar New Year holidY originates. I disagree with the OP’s opinion but it is not unreasonable to question the inclusion of a Chinese holiday in a game not available in China and in which frequently requested asian content has been excluded.

Call me Doowie :P haven’t been referred too as Vepo for a while now xD

Oh I didn’t mean to come across as being disrespectful, so I do apologise about that, if that’s what you saw.

I do imagine though that if the Chinese were able to access the same servers as us, they would be happy with the Western holiday events

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

You’re kidding, right? You are fully aware you can also make your character look like he or she’s legacy comes from Cantha?

Right?

I can make him look like canthan or elonian but at the end he always will be tyrian and tyrian only. Blame designers.

Krytan. But there are still remnants of the Ascalonian, Canthan, and Elonian cultures in DR (less so in the case of Cantha, obviously).

Posted by: Lost in Hyrule.2963

Lost in Hyrule.2963

I like segman’s idea. ArenaNet had this holiday to prove that Tyria is located in the Milky Way.

PulsarianDevil.8125

Well, I still believe that the “Lunar New Year” event should have been left to Chinese client only, honestly. If the developers wanted to release the same content to NA servers, they should have changed the name (and perhaps the rewards as well). Having the lunar new year event on NA servers is akin to having a celebration about islam’s mohammed in downtown Vatican City. It just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

PulsarianDevil.8125

Personally, I am not that big on tradition, and so perhaps I’m a little biased against holidays to begin with. I used to celebrate a number of them as kid, but these days I usually don’t; Most years I don’t celebrate New Years in the US. The one holiday I do consistently celebrate (eg actually do something for) is the Super Bowl, and ironically that isn’t even an official US holiday. Everybody is different, and some care less about certain events than others. To each his own.

Posted by: Lost in Hyrule.2963

Lost in Hyrule.2963

Canthan citizens in Divinity’s Reach are simply remembering their heritage. Granted, the holiday has lost some luster over the years. They used to have a grand old time with wonderful foods, evil Lions, and animals made of stars. Nowadays, they throw fireballs at each other in a sewer.

But it’s a tradition!! Go back to Rurikton if you can’t accept cultural diversity!

segman.3560

This is not cultural diversity.
This is second hand content that killed OUR dragon bash for THEIR festival.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Having the lunar new year event on NA servers is akin to having a celebration about islam’s mohammed in downtown Vatican City. It just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Just so you’re aware. . . .

http://www.ummid.com/news/2014/June/07.06.2014/adhan-in-vatian-city.html

Yes, it happened. For real. And it made sense in the name of peace.

Gone to Reddit.