Lvling with a friend vs solo leveling?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NeoSoul.4198

NeoSoul.4198

I played during the beta, a bit when the game just came out and left a few weeks after release because of a couple of issues with this game. For example, I couldn’t even join spvp properly with friends when the whole point we were playing GW2 was for the PvP. It was difficult to land in the same instances to play together and so on. Some of these issues have been fixed over time and we’re giving GW2 a second try.

I’m not sure if it’s just me that’s too unfamiliar with the game but it feels like there is almost no point at all to level with a friend over leveling solo. It can be nice for an occasional event or boss fight, that’s about it. Most of the leveling we get are from hearts (I’m lvl 19 ATM) and it seems like we can’t complete these ’’quests’’ together. What I kill or grab doesn’t count for my friend and the same goes for him. We actually end up stealing each other’s items on the ground and having to find new ones… which leads us to split up, just each go do our own thing in our corner and taking even longer to complete the quests than if we were both soloing. Then one has to wait for the other one to be done, sometimes one player will be done and the other one is only at 60%.

So is there something I’m missing there or is it actually pointless to team up for leveling? I’m not ready at all for PvP, I have too much to relearn and getting used to my class to jump into PvP with full abilities (no low lvl PvP) and teaming up seems to only drag the lvling up longer instead of actually speeding it up. So I guess you’re stuck solo leveling (with the exception for a few dungeons here and there) to 80 in that case? I have played many MMOs (including GW1) and I don’t remember seeing anything like that before.

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

You can queue up together for pvp matches now. Theoretically, the matchmaking system will put you in matches with similarly skilled players. There are now reward tracks in pvp that give out items that level you up. It can actually be faster to level up through pvp than doing hearts in pve. More fun too lol.

If you do insist on leveling in pve, I don’t think there is too much benefit in grouping up tbh. When I got my friend into the game, I leveled an alt with him and I didn’t see the benefit over doing it solo with the exception of personal story which are easier when you have more people to help.

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

Posted by: Liisjak.4509

Liisjak.4509

If you bang the same mob for the heart, doesnt it…kinda…make…it faster?

Unless you want some kind of bonus experience for the sake of bromance.

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

You both get credit for the monsters you hit. If you both hit the same monster you both get credit. There’s no real bonus, the point is that your not penalized for working together. Playing with friends is its own reward.

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Most leveling is from events, not hearts. True especially later on. Also Tomes if you have them

Posted by: NeoSoul.4198

NeoSoul.4198

No it doesn’t cause we normally run out of mobs and have to find crap to click on the ground, we have to find 2x more because it doesn’t share and then have to wait on the one that’s not done… so in the end, it’s faster when we’re solo.

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

You could both level up together in the Edge of the Mists karma train. On occasion there are even other players to kill.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Yep, the sharing of credit for party members towards heart completion leaves a lot to be desired. They ought to give full credit towards the heart for anyone killing a monster or using an object. At the very least, partial, say 50% or 75% for your partners would make it less tedious. As it is now, there is very little reason to play together with anyone outside of instances, and for personal story the people helping out don’t get any reward beyond experience, since they don’t get the story rewards and there are no drops. Definitely room for improvement.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: kratan.4619

kratan.4619

If you both hit the same mob it counts for both of you, our guild does hearts with 10 – 20 people this way.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

No it doesn’t cause we normally run out of mobs and have to find crap to click on the ground, we have to find 2x more because it doesn’t share and then have to wait on the one that’s not done… so in the end, it’s faster when we’re solo.

Under most circumstances the stuff you interact with on the ground is also account-bound. In like 85% of the cases it will only be used by you and your friend will be able to use it as well.

Posted by: Liisjak.4509

Liisjak.4509

Under most circumstances the stuff you interact with on the ground is also account-bound. In like 85% of the cases it will only be used by you and your friend will be able to use it as well.

Was just about to point that out.