MAY THE STARS GUIDE YOU *gag*

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

I have dialogue turned off

Sweet, sweet silence.

but then i miss important combat cues

I guess. I’m not missing combat cues that are critical for what I do, which is PvE.

well i also havnt finished the HOT story so i would have to turn the dialogue off and on again whenever i go to do that, either way its a major inconvenience

That’s true. I have to turn the dialogue back on each time I do a story instance, and it is an inconvenience but I prefer that to the annoyance of hearing dialogue spammed.

thats why this thread exists so anet can change it FINALLY

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

oh also MAY THE STARS GUIDE YOU

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

If you stand by the river long enough, you will see the body of your enemy float by

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

More violence, less violets.

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

its literally the most annoying thing about this game, i still dont have any option to specifically turn it off,why does the banker say MAY THE STARS GUIDE YOU every time someone talks to her???

if i made a thread on these forums every 5 seconds that just said MAY THE STARS GUIDE YOU anet would ban me, yet i have to hear them do it in game every 5 seconds, seriously nobody likes this, nobody will be sad if you change it

Whats wrong with that? Why does everything have to be dark and edgy with you kids today?

Posted by: Necrotic.7820

Necrotic.7820

“I wonder if anything different will happen today.”

“Y’know what would be different? If you left me alone.”

Sure it would be nice if the NPCs didn’t just repeat the same lines they’ve been saying for the last 3.5 years, it would be nice if they had conversations like real people that weren’t always about the same old thing. It would be really awesome if the game engine could generate new and exciting conversations that were always relevant to the current situation. Until someone creates that AI maybe we could just have Anet hire some staff to sit in game and control the NPCs and talk for them. Wouldn’t that be fun? Maybe they would discuss your character’s outfit or something.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Sure it would be nice if the NPCs didn’t just repeat the same lines they’ve been saying for the last 3.5 years, it would be nice if they had conversations like real people that weren’t always about the same old thing. It would be really awesome if the game engine could generate new and exciting conversations that were always relevant to the current situation. Until someone creates that AI maybe we could just have Anet hire some staff to sit in game and control the NPCs and talk for them. Wouldn’t that be fun? Maybe they would discuss your character’s outfit or something.

To be fair, a number of the NPCs in Lion’s Arch have had their ambient dialogue altered to mention the events of the recent past (specifically Scarlet’s attack on LA and the recovery since then). But I do get what you’re saying.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

“I wonder if anything different will happen today.”

“Y’know what would be different? If you left me alone.”

That reminds me of the outpost in Guild Wars 1, Tarnished Haven. The NPCs in that outpost call out the names of players in the outpost and make comments about them based on progess they’ve made on various Title Tracks. I bet it would be possible in this game, if they wanted to spend the time to put it in, to have NPCs scattered around to n different maps that can see and comment on titles or items that you own. The problem of course is the time and effort to program it and record voices for it, so not likely.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Well, op..
Do you need something?
You got gold, right?
But seriously, don’t ask for less repetitive dialogue, or you’ll break the game.
And if you break it, I break you.

:D I properly loled right there.

The comedy factor of repetitive dialogue is worth keeping.

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

I would just like to let Anet know: I am up for randomly controlling some NPCs and have them comment on people walking by and stuff. In fact I WOULD LOVE THAT!!! I would sign something that binds me to not mess around and make them say stupid things, too. I think it would be awesome.

About “May the stars guide you.” – every time it comes up my husband started to repeat it in a really messed up tone of voice. And because it happens SO often I have now started to do the same. Trust me it is even more annoying to have the NPC say it and then hear my husband and me repeat it in our special voice afterwards >.>

Posted by: Mr Bimble.2764

Mr Bimble.2764

Mesmers can apparently outrun Sentars,whatever they are.It is rage provoking!

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

The urge to kill rises!!
Yup i am the sane and good commander.

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

Buy the royal terrace pass while it’s for sale now. It’s very convienent and the best part is, quiet. NPCs are quiet, players are quiet, crafting stations are quiet. Plus, there is always nice looking people and rarely a single plant.

Only thing missing is fractal portal.

RoseofGilead.8907

Mesmers can apparently outrun Sentars,whatever they are.It is rage provoking!

Centaurs = the half horse/half man creatures you fight in human zones.

And all human females say it when they get swiftness. It’s annoying on all of them, too.

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

Oh for those that can’t speak german ( if you get something rare)
“Hmmm prächtig! " can be translated as
“Uhh impressive!” exclusive human female sentance. My guildies and i crack up quite a lot about that rude suggestion

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

i can walk faster than a centard!

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Posted by: DeShadowWolf.6854

DeShadowWolf.6854

But guys, what if there’s a golem uprising in Rata Sum, and someone turned off the sedition inhibitors? Then we’d all have to bow down to our new golem overlords.

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

I never hear her say it, because I can outrun a centaur.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

Randulf.7614

It is my purpose in life to find purpose. Can you say the same about yours?

Posted by: Thandaer.8105

Thandaer.8105

How ‘bout these annoying kids
“Let’s play investigators"
“I wanna be Kasmeer”

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

“It’s nice to see you.”

To which I always mentally reply – “To see you, nice!”

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

May The Stars Guide You in your quest to get rid of this.

UP FOR A CHALLENGE?

IVE GOT DEALS YOU WONT BELIEVE!

That kitten Asura and his fictitious deals..

My prices are not negotiable O.o

How ‘bout these annoying kids
“Let’s play investigators"
“I wanna be Kasmeer”

Your lucky the old Lions Arch was worse … AHHHH Ghosts………

I think my favorite banker is “I’m Ready to Go” uhh wat.

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

What about the creepier line “I know your face from my dream!”
Because I dream.
About your faaaaaace O.O

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

“I remember your face from my dream!”

“Have you been able to determine the age of the city?”

“I don’t see why we should have to take orders from mice and talking cabbages.”

Don’t get me wrong. I do love the voices in this game. But the frequency that the above lines are fired off by their respective NPCs is obnoxious. I always mute my speakers when standing near them.

There are probably others, but the guy in the Silverwastes main camp, the banker in Lion’s arch, and that pair of NPCs in Tarir are the most annoying I’ve noticed. I wouldn’t mind limiting their expressions with a timer of some sort.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

It annoys me more that my characters say stuff like “May Lyssa confound you” all the kitten time, I follow no gods and neither would my character.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

It annoys me more that my characters say stuff like “May Lyssa confound you” all the kitten time, I follow no gods and neither would my character.

Doesn’t this only happen though, if you have [Prayer to Lyssa] equipped?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

RoseofGilead.8907

Doesn’t this only happen though, if you have [Prayer to Lyssa] equipped?

That’s how it’s supposed to be, yeah. But there’s been a bug where your Human character will hear/say it if ANY other player uses it. That’s probably what he’s talking about.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

IM RICH YOU KNOW
said by a banker so it makes zero sense.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

IM RICH YOU KNOW
said by a banker so it makes zero sense.

LOL- I think he is a relative of Lord Faren

“May the stars guide you”
“I saw your face in my dream”
NO YOU DIDN’T! You are confusing me with that warrior your speaking to now, with the paper bag over his head…><
She acts like she is partner shopping or something- someone get her a blind date!

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Obviously not, given that your character is saying this line, which means it’s Human in this setting. If you want to play an Athiest/Antitheist character, roll Charr or Asura.

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

I am not ashamed to admit that I like all of this sort of dialogue. It adds flavor to the game, even though some of it occurs all too frequently. All of you folks complaining just need to stop letting fear poison your hearts in this forsaken wasteland. grin

Posted by: Anto.5109

Anto.5109

“Much obliged, friend!” It wasn’t from this game cough Wildstar cough, but still funny as hell because you could hear it throughout the entire zone / map it happened in.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

thats why this thread exists so anet can change it FINALLY

Change what exactly?
There’s some dialogue you don’t like and some you apparently need. This is pretty much down to you to manage, if it’s such a major inconvenience to turn your sound up / down in-game, turn your speaker sound up / down or even off when you don’t need it. I usually play with my sound off all the time so I have no idea what important cues you think you are missing out on.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Now I miss all of the old Lion’s Arch chatter.

Honestly I miss old Lion’s Arch in general. I just feel like the old map had a lot more character or something then the new one… I liked it a lot more overall.

i liked when the city was destroyed and its people suffering…..because the mystic forge was right next to a crafting station AND THE CRAFTING STATION NEVER MADE NOISE WHEN YOU USED IT AS A BANK

That is so true.

I try to avoid Lion’s Arch like the plague now. It’s little more than a gentrified tourist trap with a few points of interest.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I think you all smell different.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I can outrun a centaur.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Let’s play investigators!

I really wish they’d move her teeheehee brand of sexual harassment away from hearing distance of the bank. It’s like I have no option there.
On one side the Sylvari who won’t stop spewing her greeting monologue lines, and on the other, an eyeroll-worthy dialogue.

So glad I can use the scribe station at the guild hall instead.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Let’s think about why anet made this dialogue: to make the world seem more “alive”. Does looping dialogue work towards this goal? No. Pretty soon it does the opposite. It makes the world feel like it’s full of scripted animatronics. If the goal is a more life-like world, the dialogue needs to be more dynamic. Or less obviously looping. Greater spans of time between each repetition at the very least. Like others, I’ve also taken to playing without sound because the dialogue is ruining an otherwise immersive experience. And that’s a shame.

Posted by: Dasefex.4810

Dasefex.4810

i feel bad for player who did not experience old lions arch. Best dialog ever.

Fishy Joes 80 necro wvw
Digital Sacrifice Guild

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I looked into this as I was playing the other day. I thought I’d found the solution when I shut down Dialog Volume, but the problem is, when you do that you lose not just the NPC chatter but essential gameplay info that you want to / need to have. To continue to get that info one could rely on text dialog boxes, but I found that occasionally I was facing the wrong direction, and with audible dialog off, I missed a few instructions, directions, or tips I needed. So it was back to running like a centaur and healing as one and Koda being judge and jury and talking cabbages until… well… the dolyaks come home.

I don’t imagine it’s possible to go too fine-grained on the options. If you look at the choices now, there are quite a few. And certainly there are other things that would be a higher priority for change, if change was even contemplated. But it’s good to have feedback on this subject, and I’ll see if I can learn anything about it.

Attachments:

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Randulf.7614

“The clock is ticking and Tyria is at risk. Hurry along now”

I think the only item a NPC patronised me to the point of almost being offended lol

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I looked into this as I was playing the other day. I thought I’d found the solution when I shut down Dialog Volume, but the problem is, when you do that you lose not just the NPC chatter but essential gameplay info that you want to / need to have. To continue to get that info one could rely on text dialog boxes, but I found that occasionally I was facing the wrong direction, and with audible dialog off, I missed a few instructions, directions, or tips I needed. So it was back to running like a centaur and healing as one and Koda being judge and jury and talking cabbages until… well… the dolyaks come home.

I don’t imagine it’s possible to go too fine-grained on the options. If you look at the choices now, there are quite a few. And certainly there are other things that would be a higher priority for change, if change was even contemplated. But it’s good to have feedback on this subject, and I’ll see if I can learn anything about it.

Thank you for looking into it, Gaile. It goes without saying that there are always things with a higher priority but I don’t think what we need is more options, just an extension on the already existing intervals in some npc’s dialogue loops. For example the SW guy who babbles about Mordremoth attacking the pale tree. He has one line and repeats it every 30 seconds. Extend that to minutes and you’ve made a world of difference with little effort. Over time, gradually extend the dialogue intervals of other npcs in high traffic areas. Or, better, move them slightly away from the merchants they’re standing beside. This would be a small but effective start to a more living world. Just a thought.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Thank you for looking into it, Gaile. It goes without saying that there are always things with a higher priority but I don’t think what we need is more options, just an extension on the already existing intervals in some npc’s dialogue loops. For example the SW guy who babbles about Mordremoth attacking the pale tree. He has one line and repeats it every 30 seconds. Extend that to minutes and you’ve made a world of difference with little effort. Over time, gradually extend the dialogue intervals of other npcs in high traffic areas. Or, better, move them slightly away from the merchants they’re standing beside. This would be a small but effective start to a more living world. Just a thought.

I agree with this, we don’t want our NPC’s muted or silenced, but say a 3-5 minute intervals between their repeating comments would be 1000 times better. And same goes for our characters, if they make it so they don’t have to comment on the same boon/boost every time it happens, but say every 5th time, it would be 1000 times better. Same could be said if they added more varied comments to our characters, that would help too, but i guess that’s more expensive and time consuming then adjusting the numbers. They could add this in new content like living world, or expansion, since they have to do V/O for those anyway, but any of the above options would be better than what we have now.

Also, moving the non-essential NPC’s away from essential ones is another good way of alleviating the aggravation, in fact why not do both? We can still hear them if they’re some distance away, imo, it would even add to immersion.

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Let’s play detective!
Alright! I’ll be Marjory!
Duhuhuh if you’re Marjory, you gotta let me give you a kiss!

Literally 5 seconds later

Let’s play dete~POW!! You shut your stupid mouth!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Everyone is a part of the eternal alchemy ……. Even you.

My biggest annoyance honestly is my Mesmer “i can outrun a centaur” apparently every 5 secs …

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

What would be better is each having a variety of different phrases randomly spewed out.

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

But it’s good to have feedback on this subject, and I’ll see if I can learn anything about it.

I actually think such a line is really nice however perhaps the wrong person is saying it. Why would a banker say it……it’s quite possible but I think the problem is some of these lines seem random and it would need a lot of work to add depth to all these little things.

I like this line however.

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Might makes me right!

Posted by: Jaher Dal.9503

Jaher Dal.9503

I miss the moaning lady from DR… lol