MBTI personality for each class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lytro.9305

Lytro.9305

Hello everyone, I was browsing the internet and found personality based rpg classes which were based on the MBTI. I was curious to see how this could relate to guild wars 2 with its 9 professions. I am hoping I could get some input on this, and see what you all think each profession’s personality is? It isn’t about the player’s personality but the class in general, and also, if it matches your personality then do you have the most fun with that class?
https://www.16personalities.com/personality-types (Here’s a link to the different personalities)
Thank you for your input

Posted by: Coinhead.7591

Coinhead.7591

Sounds fun, I did some brainstorming during a bus drive and here is what I got:

Warrior: ENFJ
Guardian: ISTJ (could be so many things actually)
Engineer: ISTP or INTP

I didn’t get any further.

Lytro.9305

I had some similar ideas actually.
Warrior: ENFJ
Guardian: ESFJ
Revenant: ISTJ
Ranger: INFP
Thief: INTJ
Engineer: ISTP
Necromancer: ENTJ
Elementalist: ENTP
Mesmer: INFJ
This is just some basic ideas on what I felt was pretty descriptive of the class.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t think any of these really can be applied to the actual professions, although people with different archetypes will definitely prefer some professions over others, because they support different playstyles differently. J-people will prefer the clear, set rotations in some profs, while avoiding mesmers who constantly have to play it by ear.

For those unfamiliar with the jargon, Myers Briggs assumes that it’s useful to approximate human personality along four dimensions.

They definitely help a lot of people get better at their jobs (and dealing with friends & family in their personal life). That said, the system is a model that makes a huge number of assumptions, limits humans to just four dimensions, and is frequently misunderstood.

The most common misunderstanding is to assign some innate meaning and/or value to the dimensions; they are meant to be purely neutral. It’s also common for people to misconstrue the jargon — MB uses terms that have common meanings in English that don’t necessarily relate to how they are used in the assessment. For example, ‘extrovert’ gives the impression of ‘outgoing’, but ‘E’ people aren’t necessarily outgoing. (The worst offender is ‘Judging’, suggesting ‘judgmental’, which has nothing to do with the category.)

With those caveats, here are the four dimensions:

• E|N — Extraversion vs Introversion: How you primarily renew your energy, which is sometimes called “where you focus attention”. Introverts ‘recharge’ alone; extroverts (in this context) need to be with other people.
  • S|N — Sensing vs Intuition: How you primarily absorb details about the world, through your senses or through instinct.
  • T|F — Thinking or Feeling: How you usually make decisions, mostly via logic or mostly via, um, feelings.
  • J|P — Judging or Perceiving: How you deal with the world, mostly preferring for things to be clear-cut or playing it by ear. (J-people like lists, P-folks hate ’em… usually).

Finally, by combing the four dimensions into one term, you get 16 archetypes, as listed above. Most MB tests offer a specific word to describe the category, such as "ESTJ = ‘executive’, but imo these lead to even more misunderstandings than the labels on the dimensions and I try to ignore them.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Lytro.9305

I don’t think any of these really can be applied to the actual professions, although different archetypes will definitely prefer some professions over others, because they support different playstyles differently. J-people will prefer the clear, set rotations in some profs, while avoiding mesmers who constantly have to play it by ear.

For those unfamiliar with the jargon, Myers Briggs assumes that it’s useful to kitten human personality along four dimensions.

They definitely help a lot of people get better at their jobs (and dealing with friends & family in their personal life). That said, the system is a model that makes a huge number of assumptions, limits humans to just four dimensions, and is frequently misunderstood.

The most common misunderstanding is to assign some innate meaning and/or value to the dimensions; they are meant to be purely neutral. It’s also common for people to misconstrue the jargon — MB uses terms that have common meanings in English that don’t necessarily relate to how they are used in the assessment. For example, ‘extrovert’ gives the impression of ‘outgoing’, but ‘E’ people aren’t necessarily outgoing. (The worst offender is ‘Judging’, suggesting ‘judgmental’, which has nothing to do with the category.)

With those caveats, here are the four dimensions:

• E|N — Extraversion vs Introversion: How you primarily renew your energy, which is sometimes called “where you focus attention”. Introverts ‘recharge’ alone; extroverts (in this context) need to be with other people.
  • S|N — Sensing vs Intuition: How you primarily absorb details about the world, through your senses or through instinct.
  • T|F — Thinking or Feeling: How you usually make decisions, mostly via logic or mostly via, um, feelings.
  • J|P — Judging or Perceiving: How you deal with the world, mostly preferring for things to be clear-cut or playing it by ear. (J-people like lists, P-folks hate ’em… usually).

Finally, by combing the four dimensions into one term, you get 16 archetypes, as listed above. Most MB tests offer a specific word to describe the category, such as "ESTJ = ‘executive’, but imo these lead to even more misunderstandings than the labels on the dimensions and I try to ignore them.

Thanks for your feedback and for clearing up the dimensions for people who may not understand them. I tried to place a personality to the class based on how the profession is typically played, for example the warrior is a ENFJ because it is usually meta in group content and everyone would want one, also it usually does better in groups than when played solo, making it extroverted, N and F come together I think because the warrior does depend on the situation making the typical warrior go by feeling/instinct. The J for the warrior because it has its rotation that is used to do great in those situations compared to the ranger where it needs to do only a few things to set itself up and then does what it wants.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I try to play all my alts about equally.

I guess that means I either have a well rounded personality, or a fear of commitment.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I try to play all my alts about equally.

I guess that means I either have a well rounded personality, or a fear of commitment.

There’s a Myer-Briggs archetype for that, too

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I tried to place a personality to the class based on how the profession is typically played, for example the warrior is a ENFJ because it is usually meta in group content and everyone would want one, also it usually does better in groups than when played solo, making it extroverted, N and F come together I think because the warrior does depend on the situation making the typical warrior go by feeling/instinct. The J for the warrior because it has its rotation that is used to do great in those situations compared to the ranger where it needs to do only a few things to set itself up and then does what it wants.

I think including your analysis makes it more interesting and useful to everyone, especially those unfamiliar with MB.

In particular, I think that might be very helpful to new players who ask the unanswerable question: what prof should I play? Obviously there are a lot of factors, more so than covered by something like this. On the other hand, as it does for human interaction generally, MB is probably useful for a huge fraction, if not the majority of new players looking for their first prof.

The 16 archetypes could be relabeled with something that fits common MMO/RPG playstyles. Perhaps something like “The Anchor” (your ENFJ warrior?) and “The Monk” (which wouldn’t be a ‘monk,’ but the classes that can suit someone used to a support role).

I suspect that more than one prof would fit each ‘box’, but I doubt that anyone would recommend every prof for every nook; it should help narrow down the options if people can find an archetype that matches their play style.

tl;dr I think there might be a really useful way to use MB to help new players (although it would probably be more than a little work to set it up).

Posted by: Major Domo.9250

Major Domo.9250

I would really like to see a Tyrian variant of Ultima’s IV’s personality test, tweaked slightly to work with our professions.

/ISTJ