MMO vet new to GW2 - Question

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cheetara.6107

Cheetara.6107

I’ve been a hardcore wow player for 6 years but I quit because of the direction they are going and the game just feel stale. I have a question about GW2… Im a level 22 ranger so far but is it me or is that this game isn’t focused on flashing our gear. For one, you cannot inspec people so see their gear and stats.. Or maybe I don’t know how and 2 most of the gear looks the same. Like a level 1 greatsword looks the same as an 80 greatsword.
So, when doing instance runs, does unique items drop from bosses and trash that you cannot find in AH or crafted?

Posted by: Illushia.3721

Illushia.3721

Most unique skins drop from instances, or event bosses.

Or they’re legendaries.

The Treesong Calling. Tarnished Coast RP.
http://treesongcalling.com/

Posted by: merlinr.6581

merlinr.6581

There is a lot of different and good looking gear in the game. Each dungeon also has a gear vendor in Lion’s Arch. You earn dungeon tokens and trade for high end good looking gear. And you can craft some really good gear also, so collect every kind of harvesting material you come across.

Actually the amour designs in this game are the best I’ve seen in any game. Play a little longer and you’ll start seeing them.

Cheetara.6107

Awesome thanks

Cheetara.6107

We cannot inspect other people right? Or not yet?

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

No, we can’t. It could be because ANet has had an opposition to allowing things that could create a sort of arbitrary barrier for players to do group-based content, i.e. WoW, there people inspected you and wanted all your gear to be above x level before you were allowed in. That can’t fly here mainly because gear plays a much smaller role than player skill in this game, so the only way to know if a player is bad is, well, if he just keeps dying.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Amiron.1067

Amiron.1067

I wouldn’t let ANet fool you on this one; Gear does mean a lot. The difference between exotic and rare is pretty large. So if you’re in it for trying to gear up heavy duty, then this is still a good game to play. However, gear still doesn’t determine if you can win a battle or not. This game does not run on limited resources like mana, and therefore a fight can last as long as it wants. Flashy items come from karma rewards and special cultural armors from race/order. There’ll be more to come, I’m sure.

Posted by: Illushia.3721

Illushia.3721

Iirc ANet didn’t want an inspect feature, because there’s no real ‘right’ way to play(other than avoid death and help the group), so inspecting people’s gear to see what they were using was somewhat pointless.

If you want to copy them, or find out where they got their gear from, just ask.

The Treesong Calling. Tarnished Coast RP.
http://treesongcalling.com/

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

No, we can’t. It could be because ANet has had an opposition to allowing things that could create a sort of arbitrary barrier for players to do group-based content, i.e. WoW, there people inspected you and wanted all your gear to be above x level before you were allowed in. That can’t fly here mainly because gear plays a much smaller role than player skill in this game, so the only way to know if a player is bad is, well, if he just keeps dying.

Someone was asking people about their gear levels for an AC Exp group once. I think it was because he kept dying with players who were too undergeared.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

Someone was asking people about their gear levels for an AC Exp group once. I think it was because he kept dying with players who were too undergeared.

I seriously doubt they were dying because they were undergeared.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Enoch.1058

Enoch.1058

The only gear comparisons that matter, in terms of gear, are cosmetic ones. This game has max-stat gear that is easily accesible to anyone. So… because the gear stats aren’t important, what other information would an ‘inspect’ feature give you?

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

A lot of absolute basic MMO features are missing from this game. Apparently Arenanet thinks there is no need for them. The game doesnt even have a simple player trade system.

Posted by: Dym Mahk.5768

Dym Mahk.5768

I loved GW1, but I do agree with Renegadeimp in this case. I am hoping more traditional MMO features will be added to the game in future updates.

Posted by: kwalle.3674

kwalle.3674

I think the fact they didn’t want to put a direct trade system like in GW1 was to avoid people spamming WTS this and WTB that everywhere… (and avoiding a spammadan)
Though I do sometimes miss it, when you want to trade some gear with someone you meet, but don’t totaly trust.

Sword of Justice [SoJ]
Gunners Hold

Posted by: Lasarith.6193

Lasarith.6193

Thiers also Race specific gear (look) that even if you dont like the stats, – can be changed with a trasmute.