Macro Emotes???

Macro Emotes???

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FauxFox.7510

FauxFox.7510

Q:

ive seen the 1 click = 1 action “clause” i guess ,
i just want to know if its OK to macro an emote to a button instead of typing it every time ? and not get banned ?
Filming a sequence of emotes is better than a rigid character and i like using them in player interaction adds a little fun

Macro Emotes???

Posted by: Tomoyo.3482

Tomoyo.3482

A:

its good can even do one to open stacks of bags and such. you just cant have it so it works like a full bot program. music instruments, emotes, etc are safe. if it plays the game for you like multi skill actions then youre not safe.

Macro Emotes???

Posted by: FauxFox.7510

FauxFox.7510

Thank you very much hate to be banned for a bit of fun with emotes

Macro Emotes???

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

its good can even do one to open stacks of bags and such. you just cant have it so it works like a full bot program. music instruments, emotes, etc are safe. if it plays the game for you like multi skill actions then youre not safe.

incorrect information… it’s explicatively okay with music instruments as their official stance, you can even script and have it be fully automated because it does not affect gameplay, one for opening stacks of bags is not legal as far as I’m aware, as for emotes, you really have to be careful with these things if you don’t have an official stance on the subject, the only thing they’ve allowed macros and automation scripts for is instruments.

Macro Emotes???

Posted by: GreyMouser.1235

GreyMouser.1235

incorrect information… it’s explicatively okay with music instruments as their official stance, you can even script and have it be fully automated because it does not affect gameplay, one for opening stacks of bags is not legal as far as I’m aware, as for emotes, you really have to be careful with these things if you don’t have an official stance on the subject, the only thing they’ve allowed macros and automation scripts for is instruments.

That’s not what he was asking. The OP’s question was whether he can assign a [single] emote to a macro key, rather than having to type the emote every time he wants to use it. This does not violate the one key, one action rule, and therefore is legal. If he were to assign a string of emotes to a single macro key, that would violate the one key, one action rule.

[SOF]
Servants of Fortuna
Yak’s Bend

Macro Emotes???

Posted by: Zohane.7208

Zohane.7208

This is very much a question of the definition of “one action” – depending on whose point of view is taken “one action” could either mean “one keypress” or “open a stack of bags”.
Personally I would never program any macro to perform more than ONE sengle keypress, since I feel I’m then 100% safe; I would really hate it if I programmed a macro to do “/dance” and have my account banned over it. Not that the risk of that ever happening is anything but miniscule.

I would say that the only 100% safe way is to not even program an emote; anything but that runs the risk of falling under the bannable definition. It’s entirely up to the OP to decide how big a risk he’s willing to take.

Gunnar’s Hold
Guild Leader for Tyria Liberation Council [TLC]

Macro Emotes???

Posted by: Ralesk.3215

Ralesk.3215

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Policy-3rd-Party-Programs-Multi-Boxing-Macros this post attempts to explain it.

In particular the following quote:

—8<—
1. This means that if you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions.
2. For example, if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you’re ok. If you Press A and it casts multiple spells, you’re not ok.
3. You cannot program a macro to perform the same or multiple actions on more than one account at a time.
4. You cannot program an “auto-clicker” macro that, for instance, opens chests while you play elsewhere.
—>8—

My personal interpretation is the following:

• Opening one item is one action
  • Opening multiple instances of the same item is multiple actions
  • It is very explicitly forbidden to do multiple actions with a single keystroke
  • It is very explicitly forbidden to open a stack of bags with a single keystroke
  • An emote is questionable: to enter the command, multiple letters need to be written, but the end result is a single action, that is that the character will perform one from a limited set of movements.
  • I would say having a single key that results in “/dance” being executed (or “/age”, or any other single command for that matter) conforms with the one action rule and does not generally give advantage to you.
  • There are instances where the emotes are used in the game, including the Langmar Estate guild puzzle, and it is questionable whether using the macro would make you better than your normally typing friends.
  • There’s nothing in cities however where emotes could give you unfair advantage.
Rebixx (asura necro) in Vabbi WvW and HoT
aka. Bzakki, Rrnch, Pointer To Wcharr T, Ronn Felsythe, Ráithen, Vurikk.
An Irreversible officer (EU)

Macro Emotes???

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

This is very much a question of the definition of “one action” – depending on whose point of view is taken “one action” could either mean “one keypress” or “open a stack of bags”.
Personally I would never program any macro to perform more than ONE sengle keypress, since I feel I’m then 100% safe; I would really hate it if I programmed a macro to do “/dance” and have my account banned over it. Not that the risk of that ever happening is anything but miniscule.

I would say that the only 100% safe way is to not even program an emote; anything but that runs the risk of falling under the bannable definition. It’s entirely up to the OP to decide how big a risk he’s willing to take.

one action = 1 key press
one keypress != /laugh that is 6 keypresses. the Only exception in the entire game is the allowance of automation of music. they have not on a case by case basis allowed any other macros or script automation.

Macro Emotes???

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

They aren’t going to go after you for programming an emote (or series of emotes) to macros. Neither are they going to tell you it’s okay to do so, because they can’t guarantee that (a) the macro program won’t be detected as being used for less innocent purposes or (b) that the player isn’t doing something else that gets their attention.

As others have stated, it’s technically against the rules, so decide if you’re willing to accept the risk.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Macro Emotes???

Posted by: Vasdamas Anklast.1607

Vasdamas Anklast.1607

2 weeks ago I asked support if I could run such macros because my character kept getting stuck because of some bugged skill. Their definite answer was no.

Macro Emotes???

Posted by: Ralesk.3215

Ralesk.3215

one action = 1 key press
one keypress != /laugh that is 6 keypresses. the Only exception in the entire game is the allowance of automation of music. they have not on a case by case basis allowed any other macros or script automation.

Nota bene the official explanation does not forbid multiple keystrokes but multiple actions. They say “one key to one function” — if it was one key per one key-in-the-game, macros wouldn’t make a single bit of sense (tbqh they don’t particularly make much sense to me otherwise either, as you can’t have multiple functions per macro, and most functions simply have a possible keybinding in the game itself)

Rebixx (asura necro) in Vabbi WvW and HoT
aka. Bzakki, Rrnch, Pointer To Wcharr T, Ronn Felsythe, Ráithen, Vurikk.
An Irreversible officer (EU)

Macro Emotes???

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

OP, by the looks of it, you have chosen the first answer that you like as the ‘actual answer’ but if you believe it to be true and get caught using such scripts – you are going to get banned.

I know of one instance where a PvP player a couple of years back got banned for using a macro that spoke a phrase every time he killed a player. Small phrases such as “Die Noob” or “Owned” or whatever.

Auto-clickers for opening bags are also not allowed.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Macro Emotes???

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

Sorry to necro an old topic; but.

I know of one instance where a PvP player a couple of years back got banned for using a macro that spoke a phrase every time he killed a player. Small phrases such as “Die Noob” or “Owned” or whatever.

Auto-clickers for opening bags are also not allowed.

Clearly the ban wasn’t exclusively because of macro here that typed something, it was the content of what that ‘something’ said that I’d imagine that tipped the balance, more than the macro itself as it comes under player to player abuse.

having said; I’m still unclear of the legalities of this if it’s acceptable to make my numeric key pad into an emote launcher, I mean really in the grand world how often do you hear someone laugh, cry, etc. hardly ever and think it’d be great to have more of it the reason we don’t use it is because it requires a lot of typing.

More over; some ‘expensive’ keyboards come with programmable keys, so clearly something needs to be clearly stated in an unambiguous fashion, all this cloak and dagger yes but no and double talk I don’t find very cleaver at all and leads one to believe that there might be a conspiracy to keep it that way for what purpose I’m not sure.

Server: Gate of Madness