Magic Carpet and Broomstick suggestion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deus Fatorum.2473

Deus Fatorum.2473

As it is now the magic carpet and broomstick transformations break when you try to glide, canceling the animation of the carpet/broom and instead showing your glider. However it would be really awesome to glide on a carpet or broom. No need for new animations, just do not have transform animation replaced with glide animation on glide.

I think this would be a really easy change, however due to the trivial nature of the request I can see if other quality of life and balance fixes take priority.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I very much doubt its an easy change, its prob a little more complex than you think.

However, as I said the last time it was suggested, it would be something i would like and enjoy. It would prob be lore and immersion breaking, but with all the angel wings and other non GW styles Anet rammed in, I think we have gone beyond all that.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Gliding around on a broom or carpet isn’t any less lore-breaking than the existence of flying brooms and carpets in the first place. I don’t know how feasible it is, but it would be cool.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Alright, I like that you can automatically use travel toys out of combat now, that’s a great change, however, I still can’t use my magic carpet as often as I’d like because I cannot cast swiftness skills while using it, and running around at default speed is just too slow if you have to travel across zones with contested waypoints. So as it stands now, I can still only really use a travel toy in towns, where you have permanent swiftness buffs from masteries anyway.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

No thanks. The travel toys are toys, not combat aids. We don’t want to get into that conversation again…

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Devildoc.6721

No thanks. The travel toys are toys, not combat aids. We don’t want to get into that conversation again…

You can only use them outside of combat, so it’s not a combat aid.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Toys do not need swiftness.

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

Lots of traits, runes, and signets that give passive speed.

Devildoc.6721

Then classes that are constantly casting swiftness boons on themselves to travel faster, like eles, guardians, warriors, and engis can’t really use travel toys.

The only people who can really use them are classes that can’t maintain good swiftness uptime anyway so they don’t bother.

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

I’d suggest only using the broom or carpet to glide only if you are using it, but not make a glider skin.

But they will probably make a 700 gem skin…

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

There is an intended cost of choice between the ability for exploration and the combat power of our builds. Giving speed boons through items risk to break that tension, and the game as a whole. Put that power into a paid item, and you have Pay to Win.

No, thanks.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I don’t think the OP is asking for travel to be faster than they can normally go on foot, just that any swiftness boons continue to apply on the toys, and for the ability to renew them in the same way that they can on foot. Makes perfect sense to me. I’m surprised you can’t already do that.

Devildoc.6721

There is an intended cost of choice between the ability for exploration and the combat power of our builds. Giving speed boons through items risk to break that tension, and the game as a whole. Put that power into a paid item, and you have Pay to Win.

No, thanks.

so they make a travel toy acquirable through an in game achievement or raid reward, easy.

Ayrilana.1396

Then classes that are constantly casting swiftness boons on themselves to travel faster, like eles, guardians, warriors, and engis can’t really use travel toys.

The only people who can really use them are classes that can’t maintain good swiftness uptime anyway so they don’t bother.

Again. Toys are just for fun. They are not mounts. If you need swiftness, stack it beforehand or equip runes that provide it.

Ardid.7203

I don’t think the OP is asking for travel to be faster than they can normally go on foot, just that any swiftness boons continue to apply on the toys, and for the ability to renew them in the same way that they can on foot. Makes perfect sense to me. I’m surprised you can’t already do that.

If that is true, I’m surprised too. I really assumed toys didn’t interfere with your already active boons.

Hawks

Devildoc.6721

Right, on foot my elementalist can sustain permanent swiftness (and that swiftness also works in combat) through using windborne speed, goeh in air attunement, static field, and arcane wave, but, I can’t use those on a travel toy, so I’m stuck at default slow as molasses run speed. It’s not a good choice to make, and makes something that you paid real money for worthless.

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

toys were never meant to be able to apply swiftness. They are just fun alternative modes for walking.

Devildoc.6721

toys were never meant to be able to apply swiftness. They are just fun alternative modes for walking.

fun alternative modes for normal travel. If my normal travel speed is permanent swiftness, then why not?

Ardid.7203

Toys shouldnt give you any unfair advantage.
They shouldn’t give you disadvantages either.

Hawks

Ayrilana.1396

People seem to want these toys to have swiftness by default. After that they’ll ask for something else. Eventually they’ll get it to the point where we have mounts.

penelopehannibal.8947

That’s exactly what I said!

The travel toys are toys, not combat aids.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

People seem to want these toys to have swiftness by default. After that they’ll ask for something else. Eventually they’ll get it to the point where we have mounts.

travel toys ARE gw2 version of mounts.

Devildoc.6721

right and them giving an out of combat speed boost of 33% to match swiftness, that disappears as soon as you enter combat because you get taken off the toy, would not make them a combat aid at all.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yes, please. It is of no combat value because they don’t work in combat. We also need more of them because they’re cool and would be useful with the speed boost – they’re likely to sell a lot more than other cosmetic items.

Honestly, the anti-mount crowd is desperate to validate their stance when it just isn’t rational.

Ayrilana.1396

travel toys ARE gw2 version of mounts.

No. They are not.

Einlanzer.1627

The point is that giving them swiftness would not somehow turn them into combat aids. Mounts are almost inevitable because demand for them is high and the arguments against them (at least outside of combat) are just not very sound.

I actually think in-combat mounts have the potential to be really awesome, but it would probably take a lot of resources.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

But then we’d almost be just like WoW! * le gasp! *

I sure hope they never implement Raids or this game will surely be over…

But seriously, have you ever even played another MMO? Mounts in pretty much every game either prevent combat while on them or disable when you get into combat. Swiftness while on the broom or carpet is functionally no different from the standard MMO mount. I’m not sure what these other mystery features you speak of are.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Ayrilana.1396

But seriously, have you ever even played another MMO? Mounts in pretty much every game either prevent combat while on them or disable when you get into combat. Swiftness while on the broom or carpet is functionally no different from the standard MMO mount. I’m not sure what these other mystery features you speak of are.

I’m not speaking of any other features so please don’t state that I’m suggesting something when I am not. Thanks.

Substance E.4852

I’m not speaking of any other features so please don’t state that I’m suggesting something when I am not. Thanks.

Feel free to clarify then.

After that they’ll ask for something else.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’m not really against the idea, but I’m also having a hard time caring enough to say I’m for it. If I want to be silly while moving around aimlessly (or even not-so-aimlessly), I’ll use the carpet or broom because it looks silly. If I want to actually get somewhere quickly, I’m going to either be using a waypoint or running in my normal appearance so that I can avoid the visual distraction of a carpet/broom while I’m trying to avoid mobs and whatnot. Even if the movement toys did have a speed boost, it wouldn’t make me use them more often because of the visual distraction element.

Edit: If you want to use the toys with a speed boost, then get the Pact Commander mastery up, and use the toys in cities. You’ll have a speed boost.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Ayrilana.1396

Players that wants mounts will slowly get them implemented bit by bit rather than all at once. Anet had stated that they had no intention of adding mounts. These players realize this so they instead try to get them added indirectly through a series of updates to toys.

Substance E.4852

I’d suggest only using the broom or carpet to glide only if you are using it, but not make a glider skin.

They would probably just do what they did with the black wings where previous owners get a free glider and new buyers can get the pack. It wouldn’t even be that pricey given how much cheaper the toys are to the backpacks.

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I fully agree with this, travel toys could be a cool addition like a crappy mount for lower level players. It would also be usable my most professions. Luckily on thief I apply swiftness with dodges, oh wait, travel toys change my dodge from unhindered combatant to normal dodge, so no swiftness. Just give the toys swiftness movement speed, and they will be much more tolerable to use. Thanks.

penelopehannibal.8947

The point is that giving them swiftness would not somehow turn them into combat aids. Mounts are almost inevitable because demand for them is high and the arguments against them (at least outside of combat) are just not very sound.

I actually think in-combat mounts have the potential to be really awesome, but it would probably take a lot of resources.

They would because if they were given permanent swiftness, a character would be able to zip about in the PvE maps, with the 33% movement bonus, getting into and out of combat as they like, as quick as they like without the effort of up keeping your own swiftness. Then eventually this:

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Moderators, can this thread please be merged with other Mounts threads? Pretty, pretty please with Quaggans on top?

~EW

RoseofGilead.8907

They would probably just do what they did with the black wings where previous owners get a free glider and new buyers can get the pack. It wouldn’t even be that pricey given how much cheaper the toys are to the backpacks.

The fact that the toys are so much cheaper than the glider skins or the combo packs makes me very doubtful that they’d let us get the glider version of the toys for free just by owning them. If they ever did this (and I’m doubtful they would, really), they’d make us buy the new one, I’d think. Or they’d make us pay a certain amount of gold to an NPC to upgrade it.

Einlanzer.1627

Players that wants mounts will slowly get them implemented bit by bit rather than all at once. Anet had stated that they had no intention of adding mounts. These players realize this so they instead try to get them added indirectly through a series of updates to toys.

Again – mounts are in high demand, and the arguments against them are incredibly weak. I don’t even care that much about them, personally, but this is an easy reality to observe.

It’s almost inevitable they will be added to the game at some point. It will generate controversy, and the controversy will quickly die while Anet starts making a lot of money off of them.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Einlanzer.1627

They would because if they were given permanent swiftness, a character would be able to zip about in the PvE maps, with the 33% movement bonus, getting into and out of combat as they like, as quick as they like without the effort of up keeping your own swiftness. Then eventually this:

Uh, no, because the mounts don’t work in combat. Sheesh.

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

They should have swiftness. I have to agree with that.

Ayrilana.1396

Again – mounts are in high demand, and the arguments against them are incredibly weak. I don’t even care that much about them, personally, but this is an easy reality to observe.

It’s almost inevitable they will be added to the game at some point. It will generate controversy, and the controversy will quickly die while Anet starts making a lot of money off of them.

They only seem weak because you want them. There are plenty of legitimate reasons why there should not be mounts. Just check the mount thread where this thread will eventually end up in.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Maybe +25% ms but only becuse most classes get this so passively that its not a big effect. I think swiftness for free is too much.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Swiftness is lame, everyone has 100% swiftness all the time. Travel items, as their name suggests should help you to travel. I think they should give them auto superspeed while out of combat. I might actually consider buying one if they worked like that.

penelopehannibal.8947

Uh, no, because the mounts don’t work in combat. Sheesh.

Ok, let me rephrase then, because you seem to think what I meant as a combat aid is just whilst you’re actually fighting a mob, when I didn’t mean just during that. I’m sorry for confusion.

What my original point meant was, the Carpet, Sonic Tool and Broom should retain their original feature as to playing around, fooling about with your friends etc. whilst not doing anything in particular.

What I’m worried about is, that it will now get used as an aid to doing PvE in general, such as map completion, doing champ trains, event farming etc. if they were to give a permanent swiftness of +33% movement speed. As I said, the swiftness should be maintained by the player via combat traits/skills/kits etc. instead of being permanently put on without effort at all.

Kind of like how costume brawl toys are separated from main PvE, I think the movement ones should be too.

Edit: Especially since they’re Gem Store items too, which if given a permanent swiftness boon, would be teetering on Pay To Win

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Einlanzer.1627

They only seem weak because you want them. There are plenty of legitimate reasons why there should not be mounts. Just check the mount thread where this thread will eventually end up in.

The majority of those reasons are, in fact, not legitimate. People just desperately want them to be. I’m actually largely ambivalent to mounts.

Ayrilana.1396

The majority of those reasons are, in fact, not legitimate. People just desperately want them to be. I’m actually largely ambivalent to mounts.

Not legitimate because you do not agree with them.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I think it would be nice if they had 25% movement speed

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Please devs, don’t do this. A gemstore item that grants permanent swiftness would really play havoc in WvW. It would really suck if it became a required purchase to keep up with the rest of the group you’re running with in order to keep up.

I don’t understand why people keep asking devs to deliberately place power creep in the game.

(edited by DarcShriek.5829)

RoseofGilead.8907

Please devs, don’t do this. A gemstore item that grants permanent swiftness would really play havoc in WvW. It would really suck if it became a required purchase to keep up with the rest of the group you’re running with in order to keep up.

I don’t understand why people keep asking devs to deliberately place poser creep in the game.

I’m pretty sure you can’t use them in wvw anyway.

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I don’t understand why people keep asking devs to deliberately place poser creep in the game.

I’m pretty sure you can’t use them in wvw anyway.

Ya they don’t work in wvw, so no issue. This would just be for open world, so players can use these items while retaining their movement bonus. 0 classes cannot maintain perma swiftness. Jumping through hoops for perma swiftness, vs out of combat move speed that leaves once you enter combat, seems like a quality of life improvement and doesn’t affect balance.

On my thief, there is plenty I would do when moving around, swiftness is the least of it.

On mesmer, you can go for perm swiftness, but nowadays it’s easier to just keep perm 25% move speed.

Ranger has 25% or perma swiftness with pet swaps and warhorn.

Guard perma swift with retreat only now.

Warrior has 25% move speed or perma swiftness with elite skill + warhorn.

Rev its stupid easy with glint.

Necro has it with warhorn and warhorn trait.

Ele with many easy ways.

Engie swap kits every 10 seconds

Done, proof everyone has the bonus movement speed now, as people waant is to maintain SOME move speet while using these items, no access to our skills to move faster, but just the move speed that is baseline in the game now. Using one shouldn’t feel so much slower its annoying, just a bit slower, and some fun rp.

Posted by: Raziel Shivla.7526

Raziel Shivla.7526

But still, these are TOYS, bought for GEMS. They can’t give you paid ability to move fast and decide to choose your traitline and skills for pure damage, not sacrificing anything to move as fast as a thief (whose role is to be mobile and quick). If Anet ever decides to do this, I will loose my belief, that they cash shop system is the best out there in the MMO’s, and it will slowly begin to degradate into P2W (from my perspective and assumptions for future gemstore updates).