Magic Find

Magic Find

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FrenzyApe.5809

FrenzyApe.5809

Well i just wanted to ask anet to increase the mf cap level. Its just sad for the people who have it maxed to throw away all this luck. Plus the mf daily is just a blank day for those who have it maxed .

edit:
plus with halloween coming up and also with lunar new year festival giving so much luck, players who have it maxed lose a chunk of the reward they get from these events compared to non maxed players

edit2:
it also gives a sense of account progression which is harder to accomplish than those masteries

(edited by FrenzyApe.5809)

Magic Find

Posted by: kyrie.8530

kyrie.8530

+ for this, reached 300mf more than a year ago, and feels so unrewarding to use the luck without any gain.

Magic Find

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

300 MF from luck was intended to take a long time to max. Even after opening tens of thousands of e.g. ToT bags, salvaging ectos, etc… I still haven’t maxed it. Y’all knew that there was no further use for ‘luck’ and yet you went out of your way to reach MF300.

That said, I have no objection to ANet introducing other sinks for luck. Perhaps an ‘eater’ similar to those for Bloodstone Dust, Dragonite, and Empyreals, i.e. produces a ‘bag’ with a relatively wide variety of items and a tiny average value. Or perhaps something that works in conjunction with ecto gambling or mystic forging.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Magic Find

Posted by: Necrotic.7820

Necrotic.7820

Exotic gear was also intended to be end game and require a significant time sink to obtain. My main has been in full exotic gear since roughly mid October of 2012. I really wish that there was something useful to do with so much of the things we loot nowadays.

Magic Find

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

@Necrotic – You could, I don’t know, make Ascended gear with it?

Magic Find

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Exotic gear was also intended to be end game and require a significant time sink to obtain. My main has been in full exotic gear since roughly mid October of 2012. I really wish that there was something useful to do with so much of the things we loot nowadays.

Actually, Exotic gear was intended to be end game and EASY to obtain. They didn’t want the game to require gear grinding so the plan was to get you fully geared quickly so you could play how you wanted.

Ascended gear was intended to be a time and material sink to obtain.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Magic Find

FrenzyApe.5809

300 MF from luck was intended to take a long time to max. Even after opening tens of thousands of e.g. ToT bags, salvaging ectos, etc… I still haven’t maxed it. Y’all knew that there was no further use for ‘luck’ and yet you went out of your way to reach MF300.

That said, I have no objection to ANet introducing other sinks for luck. Perhaps an ‘eater’ similar to those for Bloodstone Dust, Dragonite, and Empyreals, i.e. produces a ‘bag’ with a relatively wide variety of items and a tiny average value. Or perhaps something that works in conjunction with ecto gambling or mystic forging.

yes it was intended to take a long time but i doubt anet was looking more than 4 years in the future. It also depends on how you play the game ex i always salvage my ectos before selling them for the chance for more profit. But the question isnt why you went out of your way to max it, since like i said its been 4 years since the release.

Yes a luck sink would be nice too.

Magic Find

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I consider myself a pretty average, or maybe a bit above-average player; I play every day.
I’ve only made it to about 175% MF. The Devs may have projected hitting max MF to take more than 4 years.

I know a lot of players went a bit wild when it was first introduced, buying up all the blues and greens. I sold mine for Gold over Luck. That lasted for awhile. =)

Magic Find

DeanBB.4268

Yep, casual player here who began at the beginning (but there have been some breaks), and I just hit 147% for the account MF last night. I have never once intentionally purchased things just to salvage for luck.

Magic Find

FrenzyApe.5809

Lets not discuss how much mf each individual here has but focus on that there are alot of ppl that have it maxed. Do you know what is like to open bags, salvage the equipment and have all this useless stacks of luck literally littering your invetory and taking bag slots?

Magic Find

DeanBB.4268

Nope. Don’t know what that’s like. I assume you condense it into larger chunks of luck?

Magic Find

Posted by: Adams.9217

Adams.9217

Increase Cap or make it value for something. (Like spirit shard on 173 lvl)

Magic Find

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

It’s the same argument for daily achievement cap. I’m approaching 300mf and would hate to waste all that luck the way I’ve wasted over 1000 daily achievement points so far. ANeT, act on both of these.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Magic Find

Posted by: ZanchinFissure.7981

ZanchinFissure.7981

Instead of MF cap increase, I wish there was a way to increase gold find more effectively. The 2+% each month is trivial. There could be essence of fortune included in the mix. maybe a 100-200% cap on that.

Magic Find

Illconceived Was Na.9781

For what it’s worth, account-wide MF was only introduced three years ago (not four); initially, MF was entirely from gear and a few foods.

People have made some good points about how it matters little whether ANet intended for it to be a long-term process or not; there are more than a few people with 300% (although I suspect it’s only a tiny fraction of the active player population).

However, I don’t think it would be good for the game or for a lot of people if the cap was raised. I still think the better solution is to find sinks for luck, such that it’s not so enticing as to get lots of people to grind out to the cap, but also worth enough for those with 300% max to save/spend their luck.

Meantime, despite salvaging ectos and all sorts of stuff for research purposes, I still am not nearing 300%, so it’s hard to imagine that it’s a problem for most people any time soon.

Magic Find

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

I maxed magic find a few months after it came out. 225% mf is the half way point in terms of luck and it takes about stack of exotics luck per 1% after that point. It costed 1500g in green or 3000g in ecto(taking into account TP dust) at the time I maxed it. I doubt max magic find can be maxed by casually doing events, so casual players do not have to worry about it. The hardcore one have nothing to use luck for. Still if their was a lucky based skin, aura, or consumable that would be a nice item for players that have maxed magic find.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Magic Find

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Ulion, it can be maxed with normal playing (but a lot of playtime). I play the game a lot ( /age command gives 12000 hours, many though afk, but still). At first i bought a few (really a few) blue on tp to salvage for faster luck.

Then i farmed ecto’s (self farmed, not bought), and when I needed dust, i salvaged a stack, or when i want to sell ecto, i salvage into dust and sell then (minimal loss).

But then came daily login luck, much more green drops etc. Multiloot overwhelms inventory very fast, wich means salvage, wich means lots of luck. I also farmed silverwaistes a lot, and bags of loot are huge sources of luck.

Add to that halloween/wintersday i farmed a lot (both gave luck, i think to remember), and i got tons of it. After 240 MF i stopped salvaging ecto stacks to sell as dust. On purpose to slow my rise down. It did NOT help. Without actually wanting it, i went from 260MF to 310 MF since HoT. Only 9 levels yet, and even with normal salvaging, i get it very fast. Dragon stand farming for instance gives lot of equipment, lots of luck thus.

I’m kinda scared for when I reach cap, i never thought i get it so fast. In few months (and maybe during Halloween if i get lots of bags) it will be maxed.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Magic Find

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Yea your time played says it all. If can be maxed but with a lot of time playing casually but it takes more time than most will invest in the game. Buying stacks of greens to salvage daily (you can make a profits since some materials are worth a lot) is the fastest way.

Still having an option to use excess Luck for consumables, a unique Lucky aura or Lucky armor/weapons set would be nice. Like a stack of exotic luck and other mats to craft a unique skin set. Even if A-net added that it would be similar to the achievement skins only a few players would have the full set. It would be another goal for players even if they do not care about luck.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Magic Find

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

The thing is, i don’t have a choice, i can’t even disable luck drops, soon i’ll be capped by ‘just playing’, not ‘buying luck’ (from trade post).

Another thing: i’m 82/100 for AB ‘golden child’. Many (relative casual players with much less playtime then me), farmed it 250+ times. If they salvaged all blues, and even greens, they should be in no time at 250+ maybe 300 MF. 6 maps multiloot i think gives aprox 80-120, luck drops (green/blue). I think i pull on average about 1500 luck from one, wich is 5% of a bar.

Once lucky enveloppe event starts, halloween, etc (where casuals usually farm more bags then me) it will up a lot of players to the top. Also the luck given on dailies is quite a lot (400-600-800).

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Magic Find

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

Many (relative casual players with much less playtime then me), farmed it 250+ times. If they salvaged all blues, and even greens, they should be in no time at 250+ maybe 300 MF. 6 maps multiloot i think gives aprox 80-120, luck drops (green/blue). I think i pull on average about 1500 luck from one, wich is 5% of a bar.

To go from 0% MF to 300% MF, you need to consume 4,295,450 luck. That would be over 2800 runs getting 1500 luck each time. That is not casual by any definition.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Luck

I am by no means casual. /age has me at over 10k hours in game. I have been salvaging all my blue gear and most green gear drops for 3 years since MF changed. I’m only at 229% MF from Luck.

If you’ve hit 300% MF from luck, you’ve been doing something out of the ordinary. Maybe you’ve bought tens of thousands of ToT bags. Maybe you’ve salvaged stacks and stacks of ectos. But you’ve done something that most players do not do. You chose to do something to max your luck out.

Magic Find

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you’ve hit 300% MF from luck, you’ve been doing something out of the ordinary. Maybe you’ve bought tens of thousands of ToT bags. Maybe you’ve salvaged stacks and stacks of ectos. But you’ve done something that most players do not do. You chose to do something to max your luck out.

I’ve opened tens of thousands of ToT bags and salvaged a lot of ecto, but so far, it hasn’t been enough to max MF.

Still, the point remains: just as with the cap to the Dailies, more & more people will be hitting the MF cap as time goes on. Unlike dailies, the cap puts people in a situation in which they end up accumulating up to four slots of now-useless items.

Accordingly, now would be a good time for ANet to address this. I understand why some prefer ANet to raise the cap: it’s a simple idea, trivial to implement (in theory: it’s changing a number), and those who understand how MF works always are happy to have more.

I prefer that ANet instead find another use for luck: eventually, they have to cap MF at some level (whether 300% or 500% or more), unless they start increasing the amount of luck needed exponentially (thus creating a practical cap, rather than an artificial one)… but at that point, it’s no longer a simple solution.

Magic Find

Posted by: JaddynnStarr.5201

JaddynnStarr.5201

Im all for an increase on the MF cap if you guys want it. The thing i Dont get is, Why bother in the first place? Its only usable in extremely rare cases with bags, and mobs. its like they said “here… have HUUUUUGE magic find numbers… but nothing to allow you to actually use it” neither are very useful for the effort and potential gold offset.

Magic Find

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I certainly get a lot more Rare drops (from mobs, of course) than I use to. I think higher MF makes a difference.

I don’t really do a lot of meta content (so, not a lot of bags/boxes), though I do participate in a Champion kill, should one happen in my vicinity.

Magic Find

Posted by: Frenchtoastersticks.8061

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

Many (relative casual players with much less playtime then me), farmed it 250+ times. If they salvaged all blues, and even greens, they should be in no time at 250+ maybe 300 MF. 6 maps multiloot i think gives aprox 80-120, luck drops (green/blue). I think i pull on average about 1500 luck from one, wich is 5% of a bar.

To go from 0% MF to 300% MF, you need to consume 4,295,450 luck. That would be over 2800 runs getting 1500 luck each time. That is not casual by any definition.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Luck

I am by no means casual. /age has me at over 10k hours in game. I have been salvaging all my blue gear and most green gear drops for 3 years since MF changed. I’m only at 229% MF from Luck.

i have about 2k hours in play time and im at about 230%. I have never purposely tried to get luck, i do not open my tot bags or my lucky envelopes, and i dont buy gear from TP just to salvage or salvage ectos ever.

Magic Find

Posted by: Cakemeister.5792

Cakemeister.5792

It would be nice to trade luck for something even if it was minimal, like a stack of exotic luck for +2% gold find or something like that.

Magic Find

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

A full Stack of Exotic Luck should be able to replace one of the four random weapons/armor/trinkets you throw into the Mystic Forge in order to guarantee a rarity promotion.

For Example: If I have a rare sword, a rare shield, and a rare helmet, I can throw those 3 items plus 250 Exotic Luck into the Mystic Forge and the result will be an Exotic weapon/armor piece.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Magic Find

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

i have about 2k hours in play time and im at about 230%. I have never purposely tried to get luck, i do not open my tot bags or my lucky envelopes, and i dont buy gear from TP just to salvage or salvage ectos ever.

You’re only slightly beyond halfway to the cap (227-228% is halfway). In another few years you might be close if you keep doing what you’re doing.

I’ll restate my point: if you are playing casually and not doing something out of the ordinary to increase your luck, the cap is almost completely meaningless to you. And when you reach the cap after years and years, so what? Throw out the luck. Get over your psychological loss aversion and relax. This is not some huge problem. I’m not opposed to some kind of luck eater, but the hysterics about this every time the topic comes up is just silly.

Magic Find

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

It needs a cap — the same way rewards have a daily cap, and other game activities are time-gated. Otherwise a small percentage of the player population run away with the system.

Raising the ceiling just delays the same problem you have now. Giving additional sinks for luck may provide a monetary reward over those without capped luck, which opens a new set of issues.

If you’ve capped at 300% then feel proud of your accomplishment, and enjoy all the extra lootz you get over the other players not at 300%.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Magic Find

Posted by: Frenchtoastersticks.8061

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

You’re only slightly beyond halfway to the cap (227-228% is halfway). In another few years you might be close if you keep doing what you’re doing.

I’ll restate my point: if you are playing casually and not doing something out of the ordinary to increase your luck, the cap is almost completely meaningless to you. And when you reach the cap after years and years, so what? Throw out the luck. Get over your psychological loss aversion and relax. This is not some huge problem. I’m not opposed to some kind of luck eater, but the hysterics about this every time the topic comes up is just silly.

wrong. ive accomplished the same amount of MF in 2000 hours of gameplay as someone else did in 10000 hours of game play. if i keep doing what im doing, ill have capped MF in under a year.

And the issue isnt that some players are take a loss. the issue is that more and more players are getting closer to cap. which means it really wont be that long until a large number of players are just being showered with useless luck that could easily be put somewhere useful.