Magic Find Cap - Loot Bag Drops

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

So, when we all hit the 300% magic find cap and are pulling greens and more off every mob drop… is there going to be a shortage of white drops? From what I’ve noticed with MF so far is that the higher that number gets, the fewer loot bags I am finding.

I kind of feel weird saying this, but I’d like an option to turn MF off!

Anyone else feel this way?

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i also noticed that my dye drop rate back then was higher when i decided to give up on magic find

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Pack Hunter.6103

Pack Hunter.6103

That’s a…disturbing thought. I’d like the dev to weigh in on this one. I like loot bags usually more than weapons/armor because I get mats in them that I don’t get from disassembling said weapons/armor(If anyone knows of a way to get, say, venom sacs from from weapons pm).

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

Pretty sure it doesn’t effect dye drops. I’ve had about 10% MF from release (from the guild buff), and got about 5 dye drops a month if I’m lucky.

After the MF change and having 50%, it doesn’t seem like I’m getting less or more.

The most dye drops I get are in invasions because of the amount of mobs I kill in a short period.

Still, not sure if it has any effect on loot bags or not. I’d imagine not, but it’s a reasonable concern.

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I’m not sure why anyone would suspect ANet to have implemented something rife with unintended consequences. It has never happened before, right?

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Before the change, I noticed the white drops and the bag drops reduced – never noticed if dyes changed. I’d love to know the answer to this as well.

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Buy more gems. Maybe drops will improve.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Interesting question. Don’t get me wrong here this fixed a major problem on my end with loot entirely so I’m glad it’s there but bags alongside the greens blues and rares would be nice especially since that’s the best place for these materials for crafters who are trying to level now frantically.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I used to buy MF boosters but stopped since the luck thing was introduced. I’m at about 60% MF now and have gotten better drops and loot bags. This morning alone in about 20 mins of frostgorge farming i got two rares and an exotic. Had an exotic yesterday as well. Before the update i felt frustrated because i NEVER got anything good. Not sure if this is just typical RNG though.

Regular PVE kills seem same or maybe marginally better but that might be my own perception.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I was preaching this back when people were complaining about the rate of exotic drops.

While MF will increase the rate in which you get rares and exotics, it will decrease the rate in which you obtain white and blue items. So while you’re getting shinier items your overall gpm will go down as you’re receiving less white loot bags, unid dyes, and t6 mats.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

Maybe getting MF is a lose/lose situation. If we stop dropping/hardly drop materials, the prices will go up until they all sell out, and craft turns to be impossible

Just a bit worries about that. Would like to see a red post here

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

MF only reduces the chance of getting white weapons which are worthless anyway except for maybe some skins.

It doesn’t decrease loot bag drops. That’s absurd. Loot bags work on a different drop category. It wouldn’t work differently unless they went out of their way to make it stupid. By that logic, with high MF we almost wouldn’t see any grey vendor-trash drops, but we see them all the time.

I had >200 magic-find with simple buffs before the patch and was rolling in bags. There was no marked decrease. They dropped all the time. So did grey trash.

(edited by Chickenshoes.6250)

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

And bags/box/etc content is not affected by MF.

With 102% natural, 26% food at 20% ascended, I get as many loot bags as I always did, and see more exotics. That sail my experience over 3,000 hours is that everything comes in waves.. which is the nature of timer seeded random number generation.

When I traded black she’s in pre-searing, daily for 4 years, I noticed a consistent and obvious pattern of black dyes coming in clusters, at nearly the same time, every hour.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I was preaching this back when people were complaining about the rate of exotic drops.

While MF will increase the rate in which you get rares and exotics, it will decrease the rate in which you obtain white and blue items. So while you’re getting shinier items your overall gpm will go down as you’re receiving less white loot bags, unid dyes, and t6 mats.

I had hoped this had changed when they fixed my problem which was it didn’t matter what mf % I had I would get nothing but greys and whites all the time. This patch seems to have fixed that problem I’d rather not have them go back.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

So, when we all hit the 300% magic find cap and are pulling greens and more off every mob drop… is there going to be a shortage of white drops? From what I’ve noticed with MF so far is that the higher that number gets, the fewer loot bags I am finding.

I kind of feel weird saying this, but I’d like an option to turn MF off!

Anyone else feel this way?

How carefully have you been keeping track of this?

This was done a while ago but I went and farmed some dredges for around 3 hours with a friend. I had around 140% MF and the friend had around 180/190%. We were hitting pretty much the same mob the whole time so the number of enemies killed should be more or less equal. We also made sure we weren’t hitting the mobs too hard so both would get credit for the kills. At the end my friend ended up with around 30% more of the loot bags.

I probably need more data points but around 3 hours of farming seems like a good enough test.