Magic Find. HOW does it really work?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hrithmus.2583

Hrithmus.2583

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with using percentages greater
than 100%. Whether this makes sense depends entirely on the context.

A percentage is simply another way of writing a fraction with a
denominator of 100. For example, 6% = 6/100. Just as you can have an
improper fraction (a fraction whose numerator is greater than the
denominator), such as 4/3, so you can have what we might call an
“improper percentage” like 120% or 300%.

So, when i kill a boss what is my percentage on say “Rare” equipment? Say i have 120% Magic Find shouldn’t i be technically guaranteed some type of “Rare” equipment?

There no such thing as a percentage larger than 100%, that’s like saying I ate 4/3 of the cake last night.

What im trying to say is that the Loot im getting doesn’t seem to add up with the amount of magic Find i have which is around 130%. I’m really confused by this Stat.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

No, for example a boss have 1% to drop an exotic, but if you have 150% MF you’ll have 2,5% chance to get it.
Magic find works as a multiplier of the drop table of each mob.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

No, for example a boss have 1% to drop an exotic, but if you have 150% MF you’ll have 2,5% chance to get it.

Except we have no idea what the base values are because Anet refuses to tell us.

It could be so low that even the fully grinded out 300% MF+ wouldn’t make a difference.
We just don’t know.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Well 200% of 4 is 8. So it’s probably like that. The drop rates are low lets face it. If you have 200% in GW2 it’ll increase your chance at a exotic from something like 0.0005% to 0.0010% (or in a lot of players cases 0.0000000005% to 0.0000000010%).

Posted by: darkvise.3197

darkvise.3197

If in the loot table you have 1 chance on 1.000.000.000 to get a precursor, with magic find 120% you will have 2,2 chance on 1.000.000.000.

2 time a insignificant chance

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

It doesn’t work.

ZING!

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

If in the loot table you have 1 chance on 1.000.000.000 to get a precursor, with magic find 120% you will have 2,2 chance on 1.000.000.000.

2 time a insignificant chance

I got Dawn with 50%

Glorious Human Master Race

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Except we have no idea what the base values are because Anet refuses to tell us.

It could be so low that even the fully grinded out 300% MF+ wouldn’t make a difference.
We just don’t know.

Yeah I know, but that is how the mechanic works.
As the other guy said, if you have 1 in 1m to get an item, 300% MF will give 4 in 1m to get it, it is still a very small increase, but an increase nonetheless.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

It still boils down to luck, it’s RNG with a small multiplier to increase your already very slim chance, then consider the loss in gold, silver & copper from salvaging for luck and the luck system has a negative return after a certain point IMHO.

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

I don’t know if it was changed with the new system, but it seemed to work on a sliding scale. High MF gave a slightly better chance to get better items, but also reduced the amount of vendor trash and white gear which sounds ideal in theory. The problem is that it was not proportional and the increase in good drops was so small as to not be measurable while the decrease in junk was very noticeable. In then end, running +200% MF gear most often resulted in less gold overall because in high level zones all that vendor trash and white gear adds up. MF was very broken and I can only hope they fixed the underlying logic, not just how the bonus is gained.

Posted by: Hrithmus.2583

Hrithmus.2583

I don’t know if it was changed with the new system, but it seemed to work on a sliding scale. High MF gave a slightly better chance to get better items, but also reduced the amount of vendor trash and white gear which sounds ideal in theory. The problem is that it was not proportional and the increase in good drops was so small as to not be measurable while the decrease in junk was very noticeable. In then end, running +200% MF gear most often resulted in less gold overall because in high level zones all that vendor trash and white gear adds up. MF was very broken and I can only hope they fixed the underlying logic, not just how the bonus is gained.

Indeed, i really want to know the logic behind this, from ANET that is. Why are the drop rate numbers hidden? We need to start a revolt.

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Level 1 RNG
Base item drop rate – Item has an x% chance to drop.

Level 2 RNG
Magic Find Modifier – Magic find level multiplies drop rate percentage. ex. With 100% magic find and a drop rate of 1%, drop rate becomes 2%.

Level 3 RNG
Magic Find Compensation – More magic find gradually reduces the base chance you’ll even get a rare drop.

Level 4 RNG
Character Lottery – When you log on to your account for the first time a number is rolled for each of your characters. That number is then placed in a formula and the end result modifies the drop rate of rare and exotic items in all instances of chance. The closer your character’s resulting number is to the randomly generated parameters the more unmodified your drop chance is.

Level 5 RNG
Account Lottery – Like Character Lottery sept it deals with your account!

Level 6 RNG
Server Lottery – Like Account Lottery sept it deals with your server!

Level 7 RNG
Lottery Forgivness – Another number is rolled for Account Lottery that loosely modifies it’s number for the better.

Now that you have a firm understanding of what magic find does, happy treasure hunting!

Posted by: Treehugga.2398

Treehugga.2398

I think anet is in cahoots with the slurm corporation!

“Advert Voice: …No purchase necessary, unless you want to enter the contest. Odds of winning mathematically insignificant.

Fry: I like those odds!

— Futurama"