Magic Find Mechanics Details

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: CaptainOok.1048

CaptainOok.1048

Not to belittle the Guild Wars 2 community’s capabilities, I think that the magic find stat is one that’s a little harder to analyze its mechanics.
I would love to hear some official statements from Arenanet as to how magic find mechanics really work.
Like:
what types of items does it affect?
what item quality does it apply to?
does it affect only drops? chests? loot bags? salvage?
and most importantly.. does it have a cap?

thanks

Posted by: BAZiiNGA.7089

BAZiiNGA.7089

I believe it has a soft cap of around 156%.

We’d need to do some theory crafting on it though so don’t take my word.

Posted by: Tase.3294

Tase.3294

I think MF is overrated. I ran more than 10 CoF Explorable modes with full MF gear/weapon/trinket (24x 3%) and with +30% food, and never got a gold drop, even greens where hard to come across. Other people I ran with got multiple gold items with just food. Seems it’s still mostly dependent on luck, MF has little to do with anything.

Posted by: coffeemancer.2450

coffeemancer.2450

I think the mechanics of magic find should be changed to something like;

“it doesn’t exist”

Video games have title screens. Please give us back the GW2 title screen.

Posted by: Hassohappa.9278

Hassohappa.9278

“it doesn’t exist”

I pretty much agree with this. We have no way of inspecting players to determine what they’re using, nor any sort of meters to help see who is pulling their weight. The fact that someone you pick up to run a dungeon with might be decked out entirely in magic find gear that is benefiting him to the detriment of the group is pretty lousy.

In Diablo 3 MF was averaged across all group members so that one person valuing MF over anything else would still help everyone by giving them added MF, even if their contributions in terms of damage were subpar. Certainly Diablo 3 did many things wrong, but I think it did that part right. Either changing it to average MF across your group or ridding the game of the stat entirely (and then replacing it with some precision/toughness/vitality gear XD) seems like a good idea.

Oh what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive.

Posted by: Smigl.6178

Smigl.6178

please remove MF from game, we all know what that did to D3 and it ruined game. and for a love of god please dont force me to make MF gear just to have better chance of drops in party and lower dps/support

Posted by: kroney.9462

kroney.9462

“it doesn’t exist”

I pretty much agree with this. We have no way of inspecting players to determine what they’re using, nor any sort of meters to help see who is pulling their weight. The fact that someone you pick up to run a dungeon with might be decked out entirely in magic find gear that is benefiting him to the detriment of the group is pretty lousy.

In Diablo 3 MF was averaged across all group members so that one person valuing MF over anything else would still help everyone by giving them added MF, even if their contributions in terms of damage were subpar. Certainly Diablo 3 did many things wrong, but I think it did that part right. Either changing it to average MF across your group or ridding the game of the stat entirely (and then replacing it with some precision/toughness/vitality gear XD) seems like a good idea.

MF isn’t shared between people in d3 anymore.

Posted by: Sardoni.8361

Sardoni.8361

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic_find
^Could probably use a more official touch to it while we’re on the topic.

As I understood magic find it only effects “corpse loot.” And it’s items >white. So you’ll have a better chance at finding higher quality items (blues/greens/yellows/exotics) but not necessarily a better chance at finding unidentified dyes.

Magic find also does not effect chest spawns. I.E. the world boss chest that spawns when you kill say the dragon Shatterer OR a boss at a certain dungeon. The corpse of the boss would have a magic find factor, but the chests have a set loot table.

I came to this conclusion because the chests in low level jumping puzzles always spit out that maps level bracket loot (for PVE). I could have all the magic find in the world but it wouldn’t get me a level 80 item out of that chest in the Norn jumping puzzle in Wayfarer Hills. Always going to be blue level 7 warhorns lolol. But in clearing random oozes I would sometimes get a level 74 blue item even though the ooze was level 20-ish. Needless to say I still had my bags filled with 20-ish loot.

It would be silly for someone to design a game that would encourage you to do dungeons in subpar gear JUST because you have magic find on it. What makes more logical sense is if I’m level 80 and running around helping a buddy at level 20 that putting on a magic find set would benefit me then into finding better items.

I have nothing to prove my theory other than faith in intelligent design.

That’s my two cents anyway. Spend it or save it =P

Posted by: theli.3542

theli.3542

please remove MF from game, we all know what that did to D3 and it ruined game. and for a love of god please dont force me to make MF gear just to have better chance of drops in party and lower dps/support

agree , i was really suprised and sad when i saw this feature in stats.It is completely opposite to design philosophy of game mechanics.Please remove it completely from the game.I dont want to swap gear , i dont want to inspect people in order to find out if they have mf , i dont want to leech or be leeched in parties , finally i realy dont want any stat that takes away fun but brings greed.

Human Ranger
Aurora Glade – Aetheria guild

Posted by: Quintal.6594

Quintal.6594

I came to this conclusion because the chests in low level jumping puzzles always spit out that maps level bracket loot (for PVE). I could have all the magic find in the world but it wouldn’t get me a level 80 item out of that chest in the Norn jumping puzzle in Wayfarer Hills. Always going to be blue level 7 warhorns lolol. But in clearing random oozes I would sometimes get a level 74 blue item even though the ooze was level 20-ish. Needless to say I still had my bags filled with 20-ish loot.

While this doesn’t disprove your whole point, last night I got a level 79 yellow hammer from a chest at the end of a jumping puzzle (pirate cave in hinterlands). Gave me 3 ectos so it was a nice chest =p

Posted by: Fugitivelama.3065

Fugitivelama.3065

This thread was not started to discuss the opinion of having Magic Find in the game , it was started to discuss the way Magic Find works. I do think maybe that topic needs discussing but in its own place.

I would really like to know the cap on MF , if any. One person said it soft caps around 156% , but said don’t take my word for it , what are you basing your 156% off of?

Magic Find is a stat in the game, like it or not. We should know how it works to determine if it can fit into our build.

Posted by: Rzep.4592

Rzep.4592

“it doesn’t exist”

This.
The reason why is because it becomes ultimate stat, you gear only for that and nothing more.

Posted by: Promega.7628

Promega.7628

I think the soft cap is actually higher than 156%. That 156% values comes from a guy on reddit who explained a starter MF set.

If you want to theorycraft the max we can start with this:

Weapons: 2X3% = 6%
Sigil of Luck = 15%
Accessories 5X7% = 35%
Back = 3%
Armor 6X3 = 18%
Runes 5Xmf set (take your pick) +1 = 60%
Food = 30%

So right there you are looking at 167%. There may be accessory/back upgrades that have a higher value that I am unaware of. This also assumes you are dual wielding.

If you cheap out and go for the masterwork quality accessories you can substract 5%, and another 3% if you are using a 2 hander.

Posted by: Promega.7628

Promega.7628

Also you can get the MF boosts from black lion chests or the gem store.