Magic Find [merged]

Magic Find [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

He’s more likely referring to the magic find changes.

I don’t believe he is…from my farming experience…MF didn’t make much of a difference. Tested with armor/food/banners and with just food….seemed to do better with just food.

But he probably means Anets plans to just give out tiered mats based on the map you are on. I think those are going to be account bound mats…

Magic Find [merged]

Amun Ra.6435

MF is going to an account bonus… This is good news for farmers. They can get the same MF bonus as well as do more damage while wearing better gear. So it is unlikely he is complaining about a positive change for farmers…

Champion loot getting boosted…
Dungeon paths being equalized to all be rewarding…
MF being changed to allow you to get good loot while wearing real gear….
New tiers of mats to farm…

This is like a farmers dream blog… I honestly have no idea what he could possibly be complaining about unless he was a CoF p1 farmer.

I believe mats will be account bound.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

If they really want to do this all they would need to is make all MF not able to be equipt or turn them into tokens refunding all runes placed on them and then allow the owners to pick a new fresh exotic set out from a vendor in LA. The same goes with ascended accessories.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Serenity.6149

Serenity.6149

If you have had and used your MF gear you got your benefit out of it. If you get a full refund, do you also lose all the extra/better loot you got?

Following your logic…

Would you have a problem if all your gear was removed? If you’ve ever used your _ gear, you got your benefit out of it. If you get a full refund, do you also lose everything that gear helped you accomplish/survive/save in time spent as well? That would seem to be your argument.

If someone purchased the Golden Lotus and MF infusion, the transaction made was the opportunity cost of not using those 50 laurels for another purpose in exchange for permanent access to the bonuses provided by the Golden Lotus and MF infusion. Whether or not players received better loot is irrelevant; otherwise that logic could be applied to any and all gear, whether MF or Berserker or Sentinel, etc., and there would never, ever be a case for compensation.

I’ve long hoped for MF gear to be removed, as it was poorly conceived in the first place, but given that it was in the game, and people made opportunity cost decisions based on their presence, it’s going to be interesting to see what ANet’s idea of low disruption will be.

Celestial gear is the least of their concerns as the MF can simply be replaced by a reweighing of the stats provided. I don’t know what the best method of implementation would be for everything else (i.e. explorer, wayfarer, etc,), but, as a start, perhaps convert all affected armor/weapons into transmutation skins + account bound armor/weapon tokens. This would prevent the loss of any skins used and allow players to select a new set of gear for a character of their choice (some players don’t have a need for another set of non-MF gear).

Runes that can only be acquired with dungeon tokens can simply be refunded with those tokens. Non-dungeon runes/sigils would be trickier as the price point for compensation would be debatable; do you refund them based on the price before today’s news started tanking their prices? Do you refund them based on the completely tanked price at the time of the patch? If the former, what about people who buy runes/sigils right before patch?

For trinkets, perhaps convert affected ascended pieces with account bound tokens to allow selecting a different trinket from the same slot category. MF infusions would be reimbursed with their laurel cost.

(edited by Serenity.6149)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Berk.8561

Berk.8561

Having survivability stats goes beyond just keeping yourself alive. That extra vitality could buy you extra time to stand in the AOE to revive your teammate.

In the vast majority of cases where I’ve had any problem with that, the few extra points of Vitality or Toughness would not have made a huge difference for me. Survivability depends on many factors, only one of which is the fraction of points a player might sacrifice for Magic Find.

The primary issue seems to be jealousy over some people getting better loot. The solution to that is to get your own Magic Find gear and get better loot, too. Wouldn’t you be happy to get a Vial of Condensed Mists Essence in your second set of Fractals? I sure was.

But, instead, the solution is to stop making it a choice or a trade-off and, instead, make it something everyone can get for showing up with no significant thought or trade-offs. .

Kerzic [CoI] – Ranger – Eredon Terrace

(edited by Berk.8561)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

So now I just change my mf gear to zerger gear. Meh.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

This is good news for farmers.

I didn’t say I agree with him, just seemed to me what he was talking about. Reality is that the OP doesn’t make a lot of sense regardless because it lacks context.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

What is so fun about farming? I really don’t get it.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

Only piece of gear I am worried about is the utility infusion. I think its like 20 laurals. I hope that if they remove it they compensate us all with our laurals back. It will be interesting to see how they handle this. I don’t believe magic find should have even been a gear stat to begin with but they do need to find a way to handle removing it through some kind of compensation.

Magic Find [merged]

Berk.8561

They have to earn a luxury stat that has no effect on their power just like everyone else did?

Showing up for a certain period of time to get a reward isn’t earning it in any meaningful sense. I’m getting about as much of a sense that I “earned” a reward with the reward chests being dumped on me as I get from ANet tossing me freebies for spending money in their gem store or finishing a jumping puzzle with a Mesmer portal.

I do, however, feel that I earned my Quiver of a Thousand Arrows, which my MF gear likely helped me more quickly get the ingredients for.

(edited by Berk.8561)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

MF is going to an account bonus… This is good news for farmers. They can get the same MF bonus as well as do more damage while wearing better gear. So it is unlikely he is complaining about a positive change for farmers…

This is like a farmers dream blog… I honestly have no idea what he could possibly be complaining about unless he was a CoF p1 farmer.

My current concerns about the Magic Find changes.

An open world player who uses magic find typically has about 170-200%+ Magic find consistently.( at least in my case)

After months of playing with MF, I’ve become accustomed to this, and some may say it doesn’t may a difference, but I feel like it does.

After they scrape the MF from our gear, how much of it are we going to get as an account buff, and how long will it take to build up? Am I going to have to run around for months with far less Magic Find then what I’ve become accustomed to?

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Genavelle.9516

Genavelle.9516

Really upset about this. I mean and the way they worded it? “players being forced to choose.” ..Not really. You can have a good, combat set of armor as well as a separate mf set of armor. A LOT of players do. And okay, I guess you have to choose when to wear each one, but that’s just like..choosing what weapon or pet is best for a situation. Like if I’m out farming in Orr, I can wear all my mf gear. But if I’m about to go do a dungeon, I’ll put my normal fighting gear on.

And I mean..really what kind of compensation will there be for this. You can’t really return any of the time or gold I spent working to get all my mf gear. Will I atleast get my guild commendations (spent YESTERDAY), my laurels, and my pristine fractal relics back? Do the items just, disappear or do the stats get changed? (Probably the second one so they don’t feel as bad when they fail to properly compensate).

I also don’t really understand why this is happening. The system seemed fine to me about mf..We could choose whether we wanted to care about mf or not (cause some people just don’t), and if we wanted to put time and money into raising our mf we could. It made mf, and therefore better drops, an incentive to work towards. Now what is it gonna be? An account-wide bonus of like, 10% max from achievement points? (Which as pointed out in another thread, simply rewards players for being here longer and punishes new players. Instead of giving the option to put the time/effort/money into mf or not). And are these new consumables gonna be a permanent increase to your account-wide mf, or simply like the boosters we already have that may last an hour tops?

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

Magic Find [merged]

Genavelle.9516

Only piece of gear I am worried about is the utility infusion. I think its like 20 laurals. I hope that if they remove it they compensate us all with our laurals back. It will be interesting to see how they handle this. I don’t believe magic find should have even been a gear stat to begin with but they do need to find a way to handle removing it through some kind of compensation.

Yeah I have one of those too..And that’s kinda a big thing because it’s PURELY mf and it was a lot of laurels.

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

They have to earn a luxury stat that has no effect on their power just like everyone else did?

Showing up for a certain period of time to get a reward isn’t earning it in any meaningful sense. I’m getting about as much of a sense that I “earned” a reward with the reward chests being dumped on me as I get from ANet tossing me freebies for spending money in their gem store or finishing a jumping puzzle with a Mesmer portal.

most achievements in life are time based, just how it is.

Plus these aren’t even time based, you can earn them by salvaging blue drops, just with diminishing returns.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

Having survivability stats goes beyond just keeping yourself alive. That extra vitality could buy you extra time to stand in the AOE to revive your teammate.

In the vast majority of cases where I’ve had any problem with that, the few extra points of Vitality or Toughness would not have made a huge difference for me. Survivability depends on many factors, only one of which is the fraction of points a player might sacrifice for Magic Find.

The primary issue seems to be jealousy over some people getting better loot. The solution to that is to get your own Magic Find gear and get better loot, too. Wouldn’t you be happy to get a Vial of Condensed Mists Essence in your second set of Fractals? I sure was.

But, instead, the solution is to stop making it a choice or a trade-off and, instead, make it something everyone can get for showing up with no significant thought or trade-offs. .

Jealousy, perhaps. Yeah, you could even the playing field by having everyone with magic find gear. The point I was trying to make of course has nothing to do with the gear itself. You’ve quoted me on a quite a few things except the parts where I said that with the revamping of the rewards, magic find will not play as big of a role. Rather, the random number generator will not play as big of a role, hence rendering magic find obsolete. When you’re guaranteed rare loot, like with champions and group events you don’t need magic find. Maybe they’ll even guarantee exotics at some point if you’re at a high enough level fractal. Moreover, they’ll be adding a lot of new skin rewards, which is what people are really after.

Magic find was originally created to compensate for low drop rates. The whole system is self defeating. Guaranteed loot makes magic find obsolete. They can still randomize what actually drops to make it exciting for some people. I think people are mostly concerned with the quality of the drops. Precursors can be crafted at some point.

You still have plenty of options in terms of stats and traits. You can gear more towards damage, more towards survivability, or even towards condition damage. Whether one build is more viable than another is an entirely different topic.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Reymis.2158

Reymis.2158

Anybody think of the chance that those items will be converted into account wide magic find boosts? Perhaps through a vendor or some other means. So having a full set of magic find gear would get you a decent amount of permanent magic find account wide? Just saying, to me this seems like the least disruptive way to fairly compensate for the loss of magic find as a stat.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

For me, this is great news. After just a couple months of play I realized how inappropriate having magic find on gear actually was. In my opinion, this will certainly improve the game overall.

Inappropriate? My PvE set drop me from around 2100>1800 toughness while giving 100% mf with food. All other stats are almost the same ie I loose zero damage (I actually gain damage going from my WvW to PvE because of slightly better crit damage and precision). Equipping it does little to hurt a group.

If they remove mf without giving an appropriate compensation, its going to suck.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

MF should never have been a stat on gear to begin with. I’m glad it’s changing.

I’m waiting for the day I log in and see that I have a message telling me to reroll my character.

As an Engineer, there is nothing that I bring to a group that another class can’t do better.

So why bring an engineer to a dungeon? It is just pure selfish of anyone to play one. The class should just be removed from the game.

This is actually the only valid worry I’ve seen in this thread yet. Maybe we’ll have more ways to get permanent MF later but the amount from achievements is quite small. I thought it should be about 10% to make it worthwhile.

Not that it really matters. No one is or will ever be thinking “I need 10000 ap to get that passive MF!”.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I believe mats will be account bound.

some of them will, but others won’t be. They wanted something crafters to make that was time gated to support long term crafter profitability.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

After months of playing with MF, I’ve become accustomed to this, and some may say it doesn’t may a difference, but I feel like it does.

The only difference MF gear makes for you, is it means that you are doing less damage, killing things slower, getting fewer drops, but the magic find might make up for it. Its better to just use zerker stats, kill things faster, kill more things, and you’ll get just as much as someone in MF.

The only valid use of MF is if you are being a leech, letting other people kill the enemies for you, and simply tagging them. These leeches are bad for the group in some events where a champion or some such might scale up to account for more players being in the fight, even though some of them aren’t contributing to chipping away that scaled up HP pool.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Anybody think of the chance that those items will be converted into account wide magic find boosts? Perhaps through a vendor or some other means. So having a full set of magic find gear would get you a decent amount of permanent magic find account wide? Just saying, to me this seems like the least disruptive way to fairly compensate for the loss of magic find as a stat.

Everyone who hates MF pretty much says that it doesn’t work anyways. Why not give those that have a set of MF armor/trinkets the same amount in account wide bonus’? The MF farmers will be happy, and the ones who hate MF shouldn’t care cause they don’t believe in it anyways.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: nekodoken.5329

nekodoken.5329

I was wondering about the mf utility infusion as well. But I think that item may be one of the few mf items that stay. Here’s why:

Look at the other utility infusions: gold+, karma+, xp+. These are all stats that you cannot get from base weapon and armors, and all offered by account wide permanent bonuses. To that extend, I’m guessing that runes and sigils with mf will not go away either. It seems to me that this move is to take mf out of base stat combo and use it more like the gold, karma, and xp bonuses currently in play.

I personally never worked for an mf set. That said, I am concerned about how they’re going to make this change, because like the OP said, the time and effort put into a full exotic mf set is never going to be appropriately compensated. Giving laurels back for ascended jewelry may be relatively easier.

My issues with this is, how long have they been evaluating this issue? My guess is not for long, because ascended jewelry haven’t been out for long, and they carry mf in the stat. Hell, exotic celestial just became available for craft, and they carry mf. While many people who like the celestial stat combo may find mf as a bonus they didn’t need or want, how many others aimed for celestial because of mf? Bottom line is, if they had eliminating mf on their minds, continuing pumping out items with mf was a bad way to warn people. On the other hand, if they only started thinking about doing this in the past 1.5 weeks (since Bazaar started and celestial came out), then there must be some disconnect of intent/communication between different groups of devs at ANet. In the case of the latter, I hope this is provided with a lot of detailed information, and implemented very slowly or very late, to give people a chance to transition.

My 2 cents

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I’m all for removing MF. Just boost the drop rates to something more acceptable.

If they remain as current, well that’s a problem. People wouldn’t have bothered with MF in the first place if they didn’t perceive the drops as sucking so bad.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Magic Find [merged]

Genavelle.9516

I was wondering about the mf utility infusion as well. But I think that item may be one of the few mf items that stay. Here’s why:

Look at the other utility infusions: gold+, karma+, xp+. These are all stats that you cannot get from base weapon and armors, and all offered by account wide permanent bonuses. To that extend, I’m guessing that runes and sigils with mf will not go away either. It seems to me that this move is to take mf out of base stat combo and use it more like the gold, karma, and xp bonuses currently in play.

I personally never worked for an mf set. That said, I am concerned about how they’re going to make this change, because like the OP said, the time and effort put into a full exotic mf set is never going to be appropriately compensated. Giving laurels back for ascended jewelry may be relatively easier.

My issues with this is, how long have they been evaluating this issue? My guess is not for long, because ascended jewelry haven’t been out for long, and they carry mf in the stat. Hell, exotic celestial just became available for craft, and they carry mf. While many people who like the celestial stat combo may find mf as a bonus they didn’t need or want, how many others aimed for celestial because of mf? Bottom line is, if they had eliminating mf on their minds, continuing pumping out items with mf was a bad way to warn people. On the other hand, if they only started thinking about doing this in the past 1.5 weeks (since Bazaar started and celestial came out), then there must be some disconnect of intent/communication between different groups of devs at ANet. In the case of the latter, I hope this is provided with a lot of detailed information, and implemented very slowly or very late, to give people a chance to transition.

My 2 cents

Yeah..it doesn’t make sense that they would make an entirely new set of armor with mf stats, and then 2 weeks later say they’re ditching mf armor. A little more answers, a little more consistency, would be very welcome here.

Also I was just thinking..I for one, love skins and different armors and I really have way more exotic coats than any one ranger needs. But I was thinking..if they do something like some people have suggested, where you trade in mf armor for mf consumables or something..what happens if you’ve put a special skin on your mf armor? I mean while they keep throwing more and more special, limited-time skins at us…I’m sure lots of other people have thought to use these on their mf sets, to be able to really use all of the new skins. so what if we have say, a sun/wind/lightning catcher skin on an mf backpiece? Or that dragon helmet on an mf helmet? Etc? And if we were to salvage, or trade-in these pieces to get our compensation, we would essentially be losing a special, limited-time skin that we can’t get any more. I don’t feel that this would be really fair, since they didn’t give any real warning that players were going to lose a whole set of armor. I guess, at best when you trade it in (if thats what happens) you’re given your mf compensation as well as the skin itself back.

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

Magic Find [merged]

Berk.8561

You’ve quoted me on a quite a few things except the parts where I said that with the revamping of the rewards, magic find will not play as big of a role. Rather, the random number generator will not play as big of a role, hence rendering magic find obsolete. When you’re guaranteed rare loot, like with champions and group events you don’t need magic find.

I actually outfitted my second level 80 in exotic MF gear after building them a set of exotic armor without MF to do existing group events with guaranteed rares such as The Frozen Maw and The Shadow Behemoth because the guaranteed rare and chest isn’t all you get from those events. I normally get 2-3 rares out of The Frozen Maw, for example, and have gotten exotics, too. Based on the complaints I’ve read in the WvW forums, I get a lot better drops than most there, too. I also do a lot of mob farming fo T6 materials. When I don’t have MF (and I’ve tried that option) the drops seem far worse.

If ANet roughly doubled the drop odds across the board (which is what +100% gives me), I’d get what I’m getting now, but I don’t expect that, and some more guaranteed rare events isn’t going to make that up. I’m also not confident that I’m going to be happy with ANet’s solution to compensate me for the gear I have. Fortunately, the majority of my MF bonuses are in runes and a two infusions, but I better be getting at least 40 laurels as part of this (I put the infusions in Sygyzy, which I would keep). So maybe this will work out well for you but I expect it to make things worse for me.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Carzor Stelatis.9435

Carzor Stelatis.9435

It’s a way to get the money for decent gear without having to grind boring Fractals.

Edit: Of course lots of people love Fractals, but that’s the attraction: it’s a way of getting money without grinding fractals/dungeons.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Orochimaru.3485

Orochimaru.3485

How about we all just wait and see and stop complaining and making assumptions c:

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Oh, don’t worry. With the new armor and weapons, we’ll need grindbugs to do our busy work for us so the rest of us can have fun with the game.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Magic Find [merged]

Carzor Stelatis.9435

The only valid use of MF is if you are being a leech, letting other people kill the enemies for you, and simply tagging them. These leeches are bad for the group in some events where a champion or some such might scale up to account for more players being in the fight, even though some of them aren’t contributing to chipping away that scaled up HP pool.

So why don’t we ban engineers/healing support guardians/etc. from events too? Like MF users, they’re not contributing as much damage as the noble zerked 1-spammers.

Magic Find [merged]

Carzor Stelatis.9435

It seems one part of the player base that complained enough about MF has gotten their way.

It’s nothing to do with the playerbase. They’re just annoyed that nobody was buying their cash shop MF cheats.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

No one truly believes that magic find doesn’t make a difference in drops. It seems that ANet wants to reduce player’s dependance on magic find. My point was that there is a fundamental issue with the RNG loot system. It was widely complained about in Diablo 3 and while not so much in GW2 it’s still an issue. If they find ways to drastically reduce the randomness of quality drops then, believe it or not, everyone wins.

Some people that don’t wear magic find will see an increase in loot quality while some people that do wear magic find will see a decrease in loot quality. I don’t think there’s a real way of avoiding this. Ultimately, things will be balanced out. Guild Wars has always had aspects that might be deemed too socialist for some people. For example, the best gear in the game can be crafted so that you would never need to set foot in a dungeon if you didn’t want to. So now the playing field for drops will be evened out as well. In the long run we might actually see a more stable market.

Magic Find [merged]

Genavelle.9516

So why don’t we ban engineers/healing support guardians/etc. from events too? Like MF users, they’re not contributing as much damage as the noble zerked 1-spammers.

Don’t forget anyone who hasn’t been able to finish getting a whole exotic set of armor yet. They’re not contributing as much. Clearly we should make dungeons/big events “full exotic (non mf or support) armor only” activities.

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

Magic Find [merged]

Genavelle.9516

It’s not fun..It’s just a useful way to make money. And it’s an optional activity, so idk why it’s such an issue. It’s also really helpful when you’re say trying to make a legendary and need a lot of money, and a lot of tier 6 mats….

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

Magic Find [merged]

Genavelle.9516

Just entered some fractals…Get the Ascalon one. Except me and a couple other people are human, not charr. Not that this is a big deal or anything, but I’ve been seeing a lot of bugs in fractals lately. You know that saying “Don’t fix what isn’t broken?” Maybe Anet should listen to that. Stop trying to “fix” the mf and whatnot because some people get upset when they join pugs, and get a bad group. It’s a pug, get over it. Why don’t you try to fix what IS broken instead. Like y’know, the bugs.

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

Magic Find [merged]

Carzor Stelatis.9435

For example, the best gear in the game can be crafted so that you would never need to set foot in a dungeon if you didn’t want to. So now the playing field for drops will be evened out as well. In the long run we might actually see a more stable market.

No it can’t. The best gear in the game requires an account-bound item which is only available from Fractals. There were supposed to be ascended item drops in WvW and (I think) PvE by January, but we’re still waiting on those unfortunately.

(edited by Carzor Stelatis.9435)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m hoping this means they will relax the overly punitive base drop rates. Under the current system the choice is to equip massive MF in order to get anything approaching a decent drop rate. In other words, MF was essentially a farming tax that had to be paid to get a better return on time. I’m happy to see the tax go away.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

O———|———O

Attachments:

The Burninator

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

The only difference MF gear makes for you, is it means that you are doing less damage, killing things slower, getting fewer drops, but the magic find might make up for it. Its better to just use zerker stats, kill things faster, kill more things, and you’ll get just as much as someone in MF.

Not really, I’m a ranger, a good portion of my damage is not based on my stats, I am still able to kill a little faster than most mobs can re populate in most areas I hunt in, so zerk gear is not really a big improvement for me. In my experience I just flat out get better drops(more t5 mats) per hour when using MF.

As for the leech comment in open world, no comment. I wear non MF gear during temple events, but other than that, it really doesn’t matter what you wear.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

(edited by Lambent.6375)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Humble? You ever even met a farmer?

EDIT: See below

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

You people have been crying like kitten children over MF for the last year and now it’s going away.
kitten and win with some grace.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: nekodoken.5329

nekodoken.5329

Yeah..it doesn’t make sense that they would make an entirely new set of armor with mf stats, and then 2 weeks later say they’re ditching mf armor. A little more answers, a little more consistency, would be very welcome here.

Also I was just thinking..I for one, love skins and different armors and I really have way more exotic coats than any one ranger needs. But I was thinking..if they do something like some people have suggested, where you trade in mf armor for mf consumables or something..what happens if you’ve put a special skin on your mf armor? I mean while they keep throwing more and more special, limited-time skins at us…I’m sure lots of other people have thought to use these on their mf sets, to be able to really use all of the new skins. so what if we have say, a sun/wind/lightning catcher skin on an mf backpiece? Or that dragon helmet on an mf helmet? Etc? And if we were to salvage, or trade-in these pieces to get our compensation, we would essentially be losing a special, limited-time skin that we can’t get any more. I don’t feel that this would be really fair, since they didn’t give any real warning that players were going to lose a whole set of armor. I guess, at best when you trade it in (if thats what happens) you’re given your mf compensation as well as the skin itself back.

Agreed. I’m hoping is not a trade, but perhaps allowing a one time stat reset? Sort of like how they’re going to make the legendary select any stat combo. Perhaps a one time stat reset on each item with mf, plus boosts or consumables for compensation, is good? Although I don’t know if this is at all achievable. Trade-ins seems problematic as you suggested, comes at a loss of limited skins or loss of compensation for mf piece.

Hope more information becomes available soon. Forum is getting filled with people who are mad at speculations or wrong assumptions based on the blog post

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Not really, I’m a ranger, a good portion of my damage is not based on my stats, I am still able to kill a little faster than most mobs can re populate in most areas I hunt in, so zerk gear is not really a big improvement for me. In my experience I just flat out get better drops(more t5 mats) per hour when using MF.

Ok that is decent then, if kill time is not the limiting factor in farming, but the re spawn times for your route. But in some/a lot of cases you may be able to expand your farming spot and just zerk down more enemies.

And yeah, MF in temple events would not be very courteous, it wouldn’t risk a failed event as much as pulling enemies into VIP’s under your protection, but it would add more of a risk of the event failing for everyone by scaling up the event to more than the group can handle.

You people have been crying like kitten children over MF for the last year and now it’s going away.
kitten and win with some grace.

I have, and have extensively used a full MF set, that’s why I’m displeased with it.

(edited by Surbrus.6942)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I have a magic find infusion in my amulet that I wear every day and I have one or two items that have magic find on them as a minor bonus here and there. My karka shell, for example, has a little on it and is an item I am pleased to have.

Does this mean that magic find, as it exists, will become some sort of “bonus stat” that does something else? I would be ok if my magic find percentage turned into, say, some sort of boost to all stats or even a vitality boost, but I don’t want to see it simply ripped from items. That would be a whole infusion and all the laurels spent on it just gone.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I’m a farmer and I have fun at it by exploring every nook and cranny of the areas I may be in at the time and killing everything on my route and gathering every node along the way and sometimes hitching a ride on any zerg train that may pass by for a little event bashing.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

Glad they got rid of magic find (see posts that were made a long time ago) since it basically meant your party was carrying you on dungeon runs because they weren’t being done effectively by having 1-2 ppl running full MF while the rest up the group picks up the slack running normal gear.

Magic Find [merged]

Amun Ra.6435

It’s not fun..It’s just a useful way to make money. And it’s an optional activity, so idk why it’s such an issue. It’s also really helpful when you’re say trying to make a legendary and need a lot of money, and a lot of tier 6 mats….

I find it very enjoyable.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: mzt.3270

mzt.3270

Magic find was a joke anyways. I have been doing a lot of dragons recently, producing massive damage to champions etc, only to find blue and green crap as loot. This does not get any better results after having 70% MF. All it does is creates my level of survival to much less than it would if care and thought went into another defensive stat. An example of this is say – Killing a champion or aiding to, should produce loot of a higher quality to say a lower level of creature, but they don’t. Often they have a load of low level trash that makes you wonder why the effort went in to defeat such creatures. Its the same with dragon chests after the events, greens, blues, rarely yellows and exotics hardly ever. I am sorry but killing dragons, champions seems like a lot of hard work for very little effort at the moment. I am sure the excuse is to put off the camp farm mentality, but hey is that so bad? AS long as its not a bot, a person is standing and putting in effort to do so, then its fair game.

Pre-cursors should also appear in such event chests far more openly then they do, because the prices of pre-cursors go through the roof – people need them to finish off something they have worked hard to get the mats for and trawled and pleaded to get into dungeon raid parties for the tokens. Really A-net its not that hard to code for corresponding creatures to spawn certain loot and it is certainly no hardship to reward players to tackle harder creatures for such rewards. So less of the 00.5% skins in RNG chests and more loot for those willing to put the work in. MF you can trash but loot spawn should be revised to far better chances. Unless this is a deliberate scam in which people have to spend money on gem exchanges to buy the gold to pay for the set of pixels ( of which you lose a lot in the conversion).

Happiness is finding an Omnomberry in your Grumble Cake

(edited by mzt.3270)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

Glad they got rid of magic find (see posts that were made a long time ago) since it basically meant your party was carrying you on dungeon runs because they weren’t being done effectively by having 1-2 ppl running full MF while the rest up the group picks up the slack running normal gear.

Some groups dont give a kitten about efficiency. They just want better drops and dont run dungeons with a stopwatch in hand.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

Skritts are thrilled. We won’t get their sparklies anymore.. Colin’s post about MF being counter productive made me spit my coffee laughing. Anet gave us the ability, they gave us the add-ons, the food, the jewelry, then they nerfed the loot drops and are bothered because we used the items and foods to boost our results?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(edited by Evon Skyfyre.9673)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

MF gear has been a design flaw from the beginning. The fact that you have a second set of armor strictly used for farming should be a huge indication that there’s something wrong. You aren’t playing with your optimal build. You are purposefully taking a penalty (one that directly affects your party-mates) so you get better drops. The better situation is that you use the build that is optimal for your character, not pigeon-holed into using junk armor just for drops.

Now, if ANET is smart, they would handle it this way. Ascended trinkets can be traded for a different Ascended item. Ring for a Ring, Amulet for an Amulet. If the trinket has an infusion, then you also get to choose a replacement infusion.

Magic Find Exotic armor and weapons can be traded in for the same piece of armor/weapon of a different (common) stat combination. The new piece will have the same skin as the one used to trade. Not sure what to do about Runes/Sigils…