Magic Find [merged]

Magic Find [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I see a very easy solution for what to do with MF gear and it’s already mentioned in the blog post.

If salvaging fine and masterwork has a chance of giving you consumables to increase your account MF then salvaging MF gear could have a 100% chance of giving X amount of those consumables. The blog said the amount of consumables required to increase MF increases with the MF so it’ll probably be a logarithmic scale or something similar. Possibly something like 1 consumable per % for 1-100%, 2 consumable per % for 101-200%, … hmm actually that is probably too high maybe 0.1% per consumable.

The main problem with that approach is that you still have runes and sigils and ascended things are normally not salvageable(although that should be easy to fix).

Not only that, some people used transmutation crystals to customize the looks of their MF gear, as well as using one time available, or limited skins on their MF gear.

I was in the middle of editing that in.
After thinking about it some more that should also be fairly easy to solve. It shouldn’t be very hard to undo the transmutations and refund the crystal/skin. That solution could be simultaneously applied to transmuted Legendaries as well which has a similar problem.

Magic Find [merged]

Khisanth.2948

I certainly understand the concern of those who have invested significant resources in MF. That said, the actual decision to remove it from gear is absolutely the right decision and shows an ability to recognize a problem, and a willingness to implement an actual solution that will work. I’ve seen other game companies flail about for months implementing non-solutions. Grats to Anet on this one.

Like ANet is doing in WvW?

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

Anet took the easy way out, instead of fixing the problem they removed the cause. They have asserted MF resulted in an underpowered player makeup. Well, where was this logic when they added it? They are getting lazy, 2 week fluff content, removing yet another chance at decent rewards, what’s next? credit card slots on dungeon doors?

When the four winds event started I noticed my 170% MF yielded much less than it had before. I stopped seeing greens and only blue and white objects. Something told me the winds were about to change, so I dumped my mf gear. Next I’m dumping the game. I waited so long and was excited about this game, each month that passes has systematically killed any enjoyment I had in game. I miss the six, I miss the players, and I miss the fun. But it doesn’t matter, the game is now WOW Lite, nothing will change it.

I’m out, cya

Oh my prediction is there will be no trait replacing magic find on gear, etc. There will be no reversal of skins lost as a result of mf gear being made useless. We’ll see. I hope I’m wrong but I doubt it. Adding a stats to replace mf will result in balance issues. Either it will be a useless trait or none at all.

(edited by Evon Skyfyre.9673)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

you know what alternative update would of solved the ’mf gear is selfish" complaint better than having a reward for playing a long time? having loot rewards be proportional to contribution: do more damage? get more reward. take more damage? get more reward. give more boons? get more reward. instead of “do 1+ damage? get full reward!”, which preferentiates ranged, btw. why are all melee classes not complaining about this?

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

you know what alternative update would of solved the ’mf gear is selfish" complaint better than having a reward for playing a long time? having loot rewards be proportional to contribution: do more damage? get more reward. take more damage? get more reward. give more boons? get more reward. instead of “do 1+ damage? get full reward!”, which preferentiates ranged, btw. why are all melee classes not complaining about this?

Impossible to balance, leading to competitiveness. Bad idea.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

my bet is that they will change the mf-containing item stats into slightly different stats, such as:
Ancient karka shell going from +25 all with 3% mf to +30 all
explorer’s exalted coat going from 72/72/3% to 122/122

that, or just simply turn all +%mf into +% crit :P

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

so ppl who get mf gear are just f right ?
i remember i resisted mf so much and when i finally cave it ANET REMOVE MF O_O

i spend 60 laurels ONLY ON AMULET ! MAYBE ANET HAD TO THINK ABOUT THIS BEFORE PUTTING MF IN THE GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE ! (ye i know caps, so anet can see my post)

Anet has been mentioning reconsidering MF stat for months already. Buying that gear with laurels was a risk you have taken.

Mind you, noone’s likely going to compensate laurels for anyone that got (or will be) affected by anet Build balancing. This is the same situation. Just treat this as a MF specific case of build nerf.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: supermanboy.4592

supermanboy.4592

Can someone please link the blog that everyone is talking about? Or do you mean the video stream updates I hear about on Facebook? Thank you kindly in advance.

Magic Find [merged]

Khisanth.2948

Can someone please link the blog that everyone is talking about? Or do you mean the video stream updates I hear about on Facebook? Thank you kindly in advance.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

Magic Find [merged]

AntiGw.9367

my bet is that they will change the mf-containing item stats into slightly different stats, such as:
Ancient karka shell going from +25 all with 3% mf to +30 all
explorer’s exalted coat going from 72/72/3% to 122/122

that, or just simply turn all +%mf into +% crit :P

They will probably add a vendor that accepts your old items in exchange for something else. You’ll basically turn in your stuff like you do laurels.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

i see people wet before the rains start…

They always do. That’s all these forums are is people raging about things that haven’t even gotten into the game yet. Really a shame because the forums could be such a powerful tool to express interest and feedback.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: supermanboy.4592

supermanboy.4592

They are a powerful tool. Before the changes begin, Anet gets a chance to get a sense of what people feel are important and why. They can also alter their intent based on that.

Thank you for posting the Blog link. I read it before but given people’s responses thought they were talking about something which went much more in depth. The jist is that MF is not in the spirit of cooperation. I can see that, you are taking MF at the team’s expense.

As always, I am interested in seeing what Anet does with this. They are more than thoughtful.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Risa Aerulight.3914

Risa Aerulight.3914

What Kovacs Zoltan and I understand from reading the post and interviews of Colin Johanson:
MF is being removed as a stat from almost all gear.
MF will be an account wide bonus from then on out.
This bonus will be leveled up through salvaging fine and masterwork items for consumable permanent increases (something like a karma jug but for magic find).

We are already seeing the account wide bonus and a slow increase to it in the form of the new achievement point milestones reward system.

We like the idea of account wide bonuses and not having to choose between “serious” armor and loot hunting armor.

Yet, we too are concerned about everything that went into making our current MF sets (dungeon tokens, gold, laurels, commendations, blood, sweat, and tears, etc.) We know that it has been officially said that this new change will be done with an attempt at making the least disturbing impact on those of us who have invested so. Therefore we have this to suggest as a possible route for that:
/suggest
Perhaps allowing those who have MF sets to turn/trade them in for “xp” to level up our account-wide bonus to something closer to what we had put together before would make it feel like less of an immediate loss or “return to square one”. This we feel would be pretty fair to all persons concerned and wouldn’t require trying to figure out exactly how much each player has spent on their MF gear.
/end suggestion.
I think that’s the gist of it, hopefully I summed up our thoughts clearly enough.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

What Kovacs Zoltan and I understand from reading the post and interviews of Colin Johanson:
MF is being removed as a stat from almost all gear.
MF will be an account wide bonus from then on out.
This bonus will be leveled up through salvaging fine and masterwork items for consumable permanent increases (something like a karma jug but for magic find).

We are already seeing the account wide bonus and a slow increase to it in the form of the new achievement point milestones reward system.

We like the idea of account wide bonuses and not having to choose between “serious” armor and loot hunting armor.

Yet, we too are concerned about everything that went into making our current MF sets (dungeon tokens, gold, laurels, commendations, blood, sweat, and tears, etc.) We know that it has been officially said that this new change will be done with an attempt at making the least disturbing impact on those of us who have invested so. Therefore we have this to suggest as a possible route for that:
/suggest
Perhaps allowing those who have MF sets to turn/trade them in for “xp” to level up our account-wide bonus to something closer to what we had put together before would make it feel like less of an immediate loss or “return to square one”. This we feel would be pretty fair to all persons concerned and wouldn’t require trying to figure out exactly how much each player has spent on their MF gear.
/end suggestion.
I think that’s the gist of it, hopefully I summed up our thoughts clearly enough.

They can’t replace MF with any viable stat. If they do EVERY piece of armor must be rebalanced. It will be removed, and either a bs stat will replace it, or it will be removed and nothing will be added to replace it. My money is on nothing.

Any idea on when this cluster …. will take place?

Side note: Box sales are reported to be about 3 million since launch. That’s roughly how many players WOW lost in the last 2 years. O.o wonder how many are going back or have left already?

(edited by Evon Skyfyre.9673)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I’m annoyed at not having a control of this stat.
I much prefer being able to pile MF if I feel like using it. In the future, I can’t have as much MF as I could have now… I have little interest to grind for it if that’s what it ends up being like.

I also like(d?) the trade off. Also a nice reason to have different armor and shinies.

- lowbie open world farmer
(wearing mainly masterwork. And my two candy corn amulets which are the most expensive piece of equipment I think I own. If nothing else, feel free to mourn my candy corn amulets with me. I dread to think what the MF might be replaced with.)

let the sky fall

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: AveryFarman.2973

AveryFarman.2973

- lowbie open world farmer
(wearing mainly masterwork. And my two candy corn amulets which are the most expensive piece of equipment I think I own. If nothing else, feel free to mourn my candy corn amulets with me. I dread to think what the MF might be replaced with.)

You think you feel bad? I’ve two full sets of armor – one for MF, when I’m solo, and one for combat, when I’m grouped. My MF suit is six pieces with MF bonuses, touting six MF bonus runes. All of it useless once this happens, I expect.

Meh. I’ll worry more about it once we actually get details.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Binxoo.4592

Binxoo.4592

Ive a toon full exotic MF armor, transmuted with t3 and cultural, also with elevated trinkets, 200%mf.
That is for the MF, also owning different armor sets.
I don’t want the MF armor to be replaced with x or y stats, i don’t need more sets, just give back golds and gems/laurels used for it.
Also wondering how will be MF account bound, but i don’t expect anything close to 200% on an account.
I’m really afraid of what going to happen with this.

(edited by Binxoo.4592)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

They can’t replace MF with any viable stat. If they do EVERY piece of armor must be rebalanced. It will be removed, and either a bs stat will replace it, or it will be removed and nothing will be added to replace it. My money is on nothing.

Of course they can. I could easily imagine explorers set with Power/Precision/Vitality instead, which would probably make it a more valuable than the current one.

The problem is how the kitten they gonna bring back MF. Account based? Lol. Never going to happen. We see like 5% as max there. If there’s 30m food that gives +150% MF, maybe. As long as it doesnt cost like 100g to make one of them.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Lovebane.1658

Lovebane.1658

My problem with Anet is not about changes, but consistency.. I’m a Alt-O-Holic Packrat so this theoretically screws me over much like them forcing Cash Shop Gather Tools to be soulbound (and I ended up forced to choose 8 professions * 3 of them).. I’m a casual player so I’m not even at the point of the same people who have the right to complain specifically for the MF..

hell.. my entire MF gear set is blues because I don’t like that soulbound BS.

If you’re going to screw over MF and say accountbound this and accountbound that.. why isn’t dye system accountbound?

You want a way to keep MF the way it is with minimal impact?
It’s SOOOOOOOO kittening simple.

Make a HOM Armor Dummy.

You equip said MF items that are currently soulbound to that Dummy, and only tally the MF stat on it.

That MF on that Dummy auto applies to every character on account.

Done… MF on equipment doesn’t lose it’s value, and everyone just as easily can earn 1 full set of their own MF gears..

now you don’t have to do kitten for anyone except for those who have multiple characters who are stuck with having bought 8x (assuming 8 mains) of a full MF set because they are kittening forced to play ANet’s sadistic game of I’m not sure if we’re soulbound or accountbound yet.. The fix for those people? reset soulbound status on all MF gear across server.. the people with extras that were equip can be resold or whatever.

Seriously.. From the start with Mad King’s book soulbound, had to do it on so many characters.. to now I just need to do things once and accountbound… and back to I have to buy each gathering tool for each character… I swear man.. the kitten.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Piecekeeper.4361

Piecekeeper.4361

I understand a lot of people’s issues and nervousness about losing the MF they have on their gear, but I am also not really worried about it. (And I have a MF set myself).

The way I think about it, I’ve made a lot of money with it, more than what I put in, so even if they take it away now, no compensation, I’m at a net gain. Sure, I’ll have to change the way I do things in the future, but it doesn’t take away the gains I’ve made before now.

Also, I doubt it’s going to happen in the next month or two. So if you have the gear now, farm farm farm. And then use your proceeds to help you towards whatever it takes to get the next version of MF.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Just Paul.6234

Just Paul.6234

First the whine – I have spent a lot of gold, karma, resources and my game time building up my character for MF. I fully expect if any ‘compensation’ occurs, it will not even come close to a fair reimbursement. Especially, how will they repay my time? I have other complaints, but I will reserve those for when the change is rolled out. ( remember everyone – the word “change” means different, not better – please review the last 30 years of political ads for the abuse of the word “change” ).

Now – my concern. Since my pirate runes will be mostly useless, how do I justify keeping my parrot?

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

Let’s look at two players:

Player A: Stacked as much magic find as possible as soon as it was available, at great expense of time and effort. This player has gotten a big payoff in better drops.

Player B: Put in the same level of time and effort to gear up, but chose combat-relevant stats to max instead. This player has gotten a payoff in quicker kills, and possibly fewer death-respawns.

The problem is this: Player B has been footing the bill for player A. WHY? Because player B provides the muscle to drag player A through difficult content that player A is unable to handle without help from player B, especially dungeons and fractals. Player A has essentially been parasitizing other players in the same guild/party.

So, now A-net will be compensating player A for the loss of the MF stat? The only fair solution is to allow players with MF equipment to change the stats on those items (for free) to any other stat combination available at the same gear tier level. But that still leaves player B uncompensated. So, the only fair solution is to allow all players to change the stats on all gear to any alternate stat set for a limited time, for free, while keeping all skins/runes/sigils.

This should be equally available to all characters (including all 8 of my level 80 toons). If you couldn’t tell, I’m a ‘player B’, and I’m not holding my breath.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Magic Find [merged]

AntiGw.9367

Because player B provides the muscle to drag player A through difficult content that player A is unable to handle without help from player B, especially dungeons and fractals.

There’s no content player A is unable to handle without help from player B.

Get off your high horse, you are not as powerful or as useful as you think you are.

Magic Find [merged]

Daddar.5971

Oh really? What about the player who often needs to be rezzed in Arah because of lower toughness/vitality sacrificed to MF? that player also does less damage, which makes encounters last longer than they could/should. I’ll get off my ‘high horse’ when you get off your gravy train. =/

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Stego.3148

Stego.3148

Because player B provides the muscle to drag player A through difficult content that player A is unable to handle without help from player B, especially dungeons and fractals.

Get off your high horse, you are not as powerful or as useful as you think you are.

Yea back off man, people with 700 less stats perform the same as people with 700 more stats then they have.

Discovered the one and only ecto nerf to date. Endured verbal abuse and infractions to prove it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-to-ecto-salvage-from-rares/first

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Let’s look at two players:

Player A: Stacked as much magic find as possible as soon as it was available, at great expense of time and effort. This player has gotten a big payoff in better drops.

Player B: Put in the same level of time and effort to gear up, but chose combat-relevant stats to max instead. This player has gotten a payoff in quicker kills, and possibly fewer death-respawns.

The problem is this: Player B has been footing the bill for player A. WHY? Because player B provides the muscle to drag player A through difficult content that player A is unable to handle without help from player B, especially dungeons and fractals. Player A has essentially been parasitizing other players in the same guild/party.

So, now A-net will be compensating player A for the loss of the MF stat? The only fair solution is to allow players with MF equipment to change the stats on those items (for free) to any other stat combination available at the same gear tier level. But that still leaves player B uncompensated. So, the only fair solution is to allow all players to change the stats on all gear to any alternate stat set for a limited time, for free, while keeping all skins/runes/sigils.

This should be equally available to all characters (including all 8 of my level 80 toons). If you couldn’t tell, I’m a ‘player B’, and I’m not holding my breath.

But dungeon runners who secretly wear MF are probably just a small minority of players who wear MF, so why are they being used as the basis of what is fair and unfair?

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Magic Find [merged]

Daddar.5971

I suppose that you’d be fine if one of your coworkers in the same position as you were earning slightly higher pay while working a bit slower or contributing a bit less effectiveness to the team effort than you were? That’s the situation.

It’s a matter of degree. Some players will use more MF gear on dungeon runs than others. I’ve seen players switch gear mid-run (when out of combat) and then die repeatedly, slowing the whole party’s progress to a crawl. The choice then is to either boot the player and hope to find a replacement or to tolerate the mooching.

The MF stat is counterproductive to cooperative effort, period.

So, how about this: A-net let’s you keep all your MF bonuses, but they do nothing whenever you are in a party with other players. Would that be fair?

(edited by Daddar.5971)

Magic Find [merged]

Lambent.6375

No, I’m saying you’re using the basis of what is fair compensation on a possibly small minority of players who wear MF in dungeons against the wishes of players who they are partied with.

There is also a great deal of players who don’t run dungeons at all, and utilize magic find while runnings around maps solo, so how is player B footing the bill for those players?

Outside of temple events, and some other events in level 70-80 zones, most of them are so easy that players will stop attacking halfway through just so others have a chance to get credit.

Magic Find [merged]

Dawdler.8521

Yea back off man, people with 700 less stats perform the same as people with 700 more stats then they have.

Yes. Because it depends on the stats and how one designed the set.

My PvE setup has 100% MF (70%+food, I dont bother with sigil) and I loose around 400 toughness/200 vitality on it compared to my WvW setup, but I also gain precision and crit damage. I effectivly swap from Soldiers/Melandru to Berserker/Pirate (its not exact as I mix some Knights and other stuff there but you get the idea).

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Fyrehawk.1674

Fyrehawk.1674

But dungeon runners who secretly wear MF are probably just a small minority of players who wear MF, so why are they being used as the basis of what is fair and unfair?

<shrug>

Welcome to the wonderful world of internet discussions where pitching the extreme case and treating it as the norm is the way forward. Let’s be honest, adopting a more balanced view would pretty much undermine a lot of posters’ arguments; the proverbial shooting oneself in the foot.

After all, its’ not like magic find was not available to all or the notion that a lot of players likely run around with a non-magic find set that they switch to for more challenging content (e.g. dungeons). Of course not, anyone who acquired magic find gear has been wearing it 24/7 leeching off the rest of the community.

Hell, let’s forget the notion that Arenanet themselves have been sending mixed signals with the release of celestial recipes with magic find just days before they stand up and reaffirm that magic find is not a ‘fun’ stat on gear and thus will be removed at some point in the 2013. A ‘fun’ fact which was pointed out by numerous fans months before GW2 was even released.

Personally if Arenanet is going to go to all this trouble it seems ridiculous they do not take it out of the game completely. Normalise drop rates thus ensuring every player gets an equal chance at a dropped item irrespective of whether they have been playing the game since retail release or the last month. In addition, removing the need for Arenanet to try and balance drop-rates around a weighted average magic find ratio spread across the entire population.

Magic Find [merged]

AntiGw.9367

You may be able to kill something 5% faster with those 700 points of yours. Big deal.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

You may be able to kill something 5% faster with those 700 points of yours. Big deal.

That’s a troll right? 700 points of stats is huge.
The strongest power builds get around 2000 power. If you remove 700 points of that stat you lose 35% of direct DPS.

Magic Find [merged]

Dawdler.8521

That’s a troll right? 700 points of stats is huge.
The strongest power builds get around 2000 power. If you remove 700 points of that stat you lose 35% of direct DPS.

Since explorers have power, its impossible to loose that amount even when swapping from berserkers. You also dont loose any precision at all.

The damage is lost on critical damage, not the direct stats. Its a pretty big hit though, but as I said it depend on what you start with. Not all of us run berserkerderper in PvE and going to 0% crit damage may not be much lower than you had.

Also, the strongest power builds reach well over 2000, more like 2500. My Mesmer bunker build has about 2050 power when buffed (not a single point in the power tree).

Magic Find [merged]

Daddar.5971

A 5% faster kill rate in tougher dungeon content is huge. It’s the difference between efficient success and party wipeout. When a player goes down due to the 5% shortfall in toughness/vitality or a boss stays up longer due the 5% attack deficit it costs everyone.

I’m serious: I’d be fine with MF staying just as it is if it quit working when players were in a party. Seems like a simple and fair fix. You could still go off and farm PvE to your heart’s content.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

A 5% faster kill rate in tougher dungeon content is huge. It’s the difference between efficient success and party wipeout. When a player goes down due to the 5% shortfall in toughness/vitality or a boss stays up longer due the 5% attack deficit it costs everyone.

I’m serious: I’d be fine with MF staying just as it is if it quit working when players were in a party. Seems like a simple and fair fix. You could still go off and farm PvE to your heart’s content.

Or perhaps your party just has to learn how to dodge.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Magic Find [merged]

Dawdler.8521

And then we have situations where there was me in my magic find set, 2 Warriors, a Mesmer and a Theif fighting the last Subject Alpha battle in CoE 2. They where all dead by the time he had 40ish percent due to incredibly poor dodging, no endurance/escape traits/sigils/skills and berserker gear.

I soloed Alpha for the rest of the 40% :/

They could easily keep MF on runes/sigils/food and just change explorers. As I said you can reach 100%+ MF with ZERO drop in combat effectivness and yes it does make a difference to drops.

Magic Find [merged]

AntiGw.9367

It’s not the difference. The dungeons are designed to be doable in blue/green gear.

If you can’t do them in full exotic because of a 5% difference, the problem is you, not your MF.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Anshra.2618

Anshra.2618

So, I have a full Exotic MagicFind set I use for Solo, and a full Exotic Berserker set I use for Dungeons. Is people using MF in dungeons that prevalent, and makes that much of a difference?

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Risa Aerulight.3914

Risa Aerulight.3914

I don’t understand why Evon quoted me as if in response to my post but then spoke of something I didn’t even mention. What does replacing the magic find stat have to do with our suggestion? Concerning his suggestion though, I think ‘re-balancing’ every armor set in the game is an unnecessary extreme. Especially when there are quite a few very solid arrangements that don’t really need re-balancing. They most likely will replace the stat with another as it wouldn’t do to have a 2 stat combo in the 3 stat combo tiers.

This thread should probably be left to suggestions on how we would like to see the new change roll out and not be used to continue the argument of whether one person using MF gear is leeching off another person not using MF gear. Clearly Anet has heard that argument and feels that to an extent there is some truth to that concern. Thus they are going to try a different approach to MF.

I too, am a little weary at the thought of having to grind this stat out all over again, hence the suggestion I made. Being able to convert the old MF I already earned into an increase to the new MF system would help with that.

Those concerned that one will not be able to achieve as high a MF bonus after the change as they can achieve now needn’t worry. Mr. Johanson said in one of the interviews following his post that the account bound MF stat will be able to go well over 100%, just like it can now.

However, the suggestion of completely removing MF altogether and making the RNG a little nicer to all would be a good way of doing things too, instead of making it an account bound stat, because it feels like it will end up being like that in the long run anyway. When all the players have hit the MF cap, we’ll all be getting the exact same chances at loot, so why not just make it that way from the start? At least, it would seem like a simpler way to do things from my perspective. Though, that still doesn’t do anything for what would be lost in the change. So perhaps using an account bound version of MF before completely removing it from the game altogether isn’t a bad route to take as it would make it a slightly more gradual change. Which thought again leaves me with thinking that if we can essentially have after the update what we had before the update then there wouldn’t be much frustration at all. Transferring my current MF gear into an equivalent sized permanent increase to the account-wide stat would mean my investments in those items are still time, effort, and currency well spent.

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot to Answer Evon’s question. It’s a little off topic but I did have 2 cents for you:
I would think that is why there is the current ‘1 million FB likes’ event going on. It will help determine how many of those box sales are actually still seriously playing. What the numbers look like from that are despite selling 3 million copies, just under 1 million are still seriously playing. My theory is that those lost 2 million left WoW in the first place for the newest shiny thing and have since moved on to whatever else is the newest shiny thing, so it’s hard for me to imagine that they would go back to WoW. Either way there are still a very healthy number of players on GW2 as our servers, at least in NA, are each still quite full. =)

(edited by Risa Aerulight.3914)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Removing MF from gear altogether was a terrible decision, many people worked hard to obtain it and lots of people enjoy having that choice and flavor.

There’s no reason why they couldn’t just work it to where it was less selfish by spreading a portion of it out when you’re in a party. That would have been a much more sensible approach.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I cashed in all those WvW medals and a bunch of my Laurels for the +10% MF accessories. I don’t care about the WvW medals (I got them from the achievement chests), but I would like a refund on the Laurels if the reason I bought the items is being removed (the Magic Find).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Magic Find [merged]

Lambent.6375

I think players being able to slowly be able to build up their account magic find would be another form of player progression which would give players something to work toward without anet having to resort to gear grind.

I read the part about us being able to get well over 100% magic find, but one current worry of mine, and other players is how long it will take to reach that mark. A question if would ask is, if a player is use to running 180-200% MF, how long will it take to regain their lost magic find, and reach that mark under the new system?

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

If they refund my magical infusion and change existing magic find % stats on armors/trinkets into increase gold from monsters % I think I would be contented.

Yeah, I’ve been wondering what they plan on doing with gold find. Is that going to also become account bound somehow (more than the achievement rewards)?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Dresden.1736

Dresden.1736

Just turn each MF slot in Boon Duration and I’ll be perfectly satisfied.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I think the best way would be to have a vendor which will let you change your MF gear into whatever stat combo and rune choice that you want and let you keep the skin and keep everything bound to whatever toon it was bound to. I bought MF gear for MF and not the other stats, I’m sure I’m not the only one. Now that it is being removed, just replacing the stat to something like boon duration would render all that gear pretty much useless cause it wouldn’t really fit any of my builds. As for all the MF gear and mats on the TP just pay out all the sell orders. Everyone wins, nobody loses.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Huh. All that MF gear now currency down the toilet. S’pose we’re gonna have to just salvage all that stuff. I doubt I’ll get a single ecto from the process. lol

I am kind of surprised they’re going there, though. Do devs often cave in to whiners?

P.S. I don’t have enough drama in my life. Just sayin’.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Shakkara.2641

Shakkara.2641

I don’t like the removal of the MF stat. It is one of the few choices we had in stats to put on armor. I liked Celestial for the balance between power and MF, but now there is even less reason to choose any stat combination other than berserker.

Removing MF wouldn’t be so bad if there were much more meaningful choices we could make when we assemble our armor. I just want MORE viable character customization options, not less.

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Terrible idea. There’s no way to measure effectiveness in combat. I could be keeping the whole team up with heals, revives and condition removal, and the team could still be doing massive DPS. Would that mean I deserve less rewards? No, the current system is fine. Everyone who participates gets their own loot, regardless of participation level.

What they do need to fix is the loot tables for some of the stronger mobs. Some champions in Cursed Shore for example, take a long time to kill, and drop no better loot than normal trash mobs. They also need to improve the loot for monsters in dungeons over all. Currently a lot of monsters are a waste of time, so people skip them. Rubbish loot combined with way too much health, makes these battles a drag.

I’m glad the Magic Find gear is being thrown out. It’s a complete waste of time, especially considering the amount of MF that is actually needed to notice any difference. During the Southsun Cove event we had like 200% MF, and only then did the drops actually start noticeably improving.

I am kind of surprised they’re going there, though. Do devs often cave in to whiners?

The devs realized that the players were right, and that their concept was against their own design rules. So it is not so much a matter of “caving in”, as in honestly admitting that it was a bad idea. Kudos to them. Now I hope they find an elegant solution for those unfortunate souls that bought MF gear.

There’s no reason why they couldn’t just work it to where it was less selfish by spreading a portion of it out when you’re in a party. That would have been a much more sensible approach.

I’m sure the devs have considered this option as well. And on paper it sounds nice. The problem however, is that it would lead to players requesting one guy/gal with full MF gear for all parties. I’m pretty sure you’d see those requests pop up everywhere in no time, as soon as such a system was implemented. And with no way to inspect gear, the party could get angry with their MF guy for no reason whenever the drops were bad. MF should be an option not a requirement.

So considering that both options are now a design issue, removal is the best solution.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Well, look at the ascended eq existence for an answer. Which is hopful for you, by the way, because it’s the MF defendants that are whiners in this case.
MF was a bad idea in the first place, that went against lo of what devs tried to achieve. It’s a wonder it took them that long to decide to remove it.

I don’t like the removal of the MF stat. It is one of the few choices we had in stats to put on armor. I liked Celestial for the balance between power and MF, but now there is even less reason to choose any stat combination other than berserker.

Removing MF wouldn’t be so bad if there were much more meaningful choices we could make when we assemble our armor. I just want MORE viable character customization options, not less.

There are lot of options. Berserkers, contrary to the loud opinion voiced often here, is not the only (or even best, in lot of cases) choice. You just need to do something more than farming events and CoF. And play other classes than warior.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Magic Find [merged]

Posted by: Sting.6879

Sting.6879

I would like my 250 Badges of Honor and 40 Laurels back thank you very much.

20 Laurels on Magic Find Infusion.
20 Laurels + 250 Badges of Honor on The Golden Lotus (10% Magic Find)