Magic Find - now completely useless?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BFNK.6748

BFNK.6748

Greetings. I managed to collect enough MF gear to hit a good number of around 135-150% (depending on buffs, etc.), and I remember the moment when I just acquired it and how many yellows I used to get. Just by running around in SoD and doing 3-4 events would get me 3-4 yellows.

Today, yesterday and the day before that, it’s been all crap. Seriously, I feel like I should have never invested in this gear. Had I kept the money spent on MF stats – I’d be AHEAD, instead I am behind. Events no longer provide me with anything. Most of the time I feel like the anti-bot code hits in 10-20 minutes of casual playing around the map. So it makes absolutely no difference if I have 0% MF or 200% MF.

The point of this thread is to ask the rest of the folk with MF stacks – do you feel that the last few days have been worse in terms of all the items you’ve gotten? Is MF now completely worthless and (in a way) a genius gold sink for confused players…?

Posted by: Salt.4621

Salt.4621

This isn’t Diablo buddy.

“Your face is funny. All squished and weird.”

Posted by: ACME.2015

ACME.2015

@Salt

Why is there MF gear?

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Feels like diablo with having MF gear.

BFNK.6748

Dude, please. I believe I am quite aware of what game this is. If you cannot answer the question – go somewhere else, please.

MF is a valid part of the game, only now it feels that it’s just there to make you invest more resource and time into your playing.

Posted by: minikiller.8475

minikiller.8475

You could have just been a bit unlucky

The 150% just makes rares from a 1%ish to a 3% drop rate its not That massive however it dose help alot the drops of rares are still low so haveing times where you get nothing is quite normal

Posted by: Asmodeus.8042

Asmodeus.8042

I’m pretty sure they amped up the “anti-bot” code and now trying to get mats for crafting short of just buying gold is ridiculously difficulty. I’m talk 10 minutes and all I get is some grays and pocket change, whereas I used to go grab 10-30 total fine crafting mats in a half hour with -LESS- magic find than I currently have.

STOP IT PLEASE ANET
IN TWO PATCHES
KILLED EVERYTHING I LOOOOOOOOVE

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

I have a good 90%-110% at all times yet i have only seen about 5 yellows drop in my entire game time-you must have been very lucky to get ~1 yellow per event

BFNK.6748

It really did not seem as something special, this happened only in events around the Orr. I would go around the map and I’d have made at least 2 gold in an hour or so (which is not good at all). Now I strive to make 1 gold per an hour and something. Just now I went around all of SoD to get all the nodes and kill some risenkitten then went and did the same in malchors. My profits are about 1 gold. This is so disappointing, how am I supposed to get the 60g+ cultural t3 set (which HASN’T EVEN GOT MAX STATS) if I don’t play the game every day for at least 5-6 hours, only trying to farm?

Posted by: mechasauce.1309

mechasauce.1309

I think magic find gear is still allright…to be kept in your bag and put on just before you open a chest. But other than that, its pretty useless now.

Posted by: minikiller.8475

minikiller.8475

You dont need cultural gear?

Aslo A exotic gear lvl 80 on the tp go for around 2-3g each ( For the most part)

culture are only for the looks and Tbh Just buy the cheap teir 1 they still have a really good look to them

Posted by: Deith.7596

Deith.7596

- MF is not to drop better items, because every item is the same and you can aquire them other way than drop.
- MF is to drop items with yellow color so you can sell them and get gold
- You don’t need gold because there is nothing to buy with gold because you don’t need anything for progression
Conclusion: you don’t need MF

None of good stories starts with “I was drinking my milk when suddenly…”

Posted by: dpandakun.3174

dpandakun.3174

been running on MF gear (though only green ones) for some time
and somehow i just dont feel right, felt like D3 all over again, since im restraining my char full potential
so i changed it into my gear stat preferences since last night
and it feels great its like a huge burden have been lifted
if ure bound to be lucky, then ure lucky, simple as that
but yeah, just bring it along to open chests or when u want to salvage rare for ectos

Posted by: LooLoo.1437

LooLoo.1437

Before the massive nerf to all things farmable, I had (and still have) a complete magic find set and completely redid my entire trait build so that I wouldn’t do crap for damage because magic find is crappy for everything besides magic find %.

So my magic find is around 137 without a magic find booster. I spent around 5-7 gold compiling everything, that includes the armor, jewels, weapon and the runes and sigils.

I did this under the assumption that farming like a normal person for an hour or two a day would be allowed and not discouraged. I made this decision after reading post after post on reddit and the forums about how Magic Find helps tremendously when trying to make money.

Now I’m only allowed to farm 10-20 minutes anywhere before my gear is useless. I don’t understand why farming is a bad thing and had to be nerfed, if it’s my decision to farm hours a day, then I should be allowed to. I don’t get why nerfing it for “botters” is considered a legit reason to make a complete build absolutely useless.

In every post I’ve made since the last patch, I’ve asked “What are we supposed to do now?” Only answers I’ve gotten were “Find something else to do”, “Stop whining” and “Spend real money for fake money.”

Posted by: Deith.7596

Deith.7596

In case someone don’t understand MF: 100% MF doubles the chance specific mob has to drop item. If it’s 1% for rare, with 100% MF it’s 2%. It’s not 101%.

None of good stories starts with “I was drinking my milk when suddenly…”

Posted by: Zora.8437

Zora.8437

your magic find still works….your doing it wrong

Fan with a plan,
Zora

Posted by: Luciferx.6829

Luciferx.6829

LOL to put it as another player did..

Your having bad rng.

150% mf and most mobs having a 1% chance, is only giving u a 2.5% chance of a yellow. so with that in mind, that 2.5 out of 100 kills that will drop a yellow. averg person will hit about 100 – 120 per hour kills ( due to spawn rate, movement between kills etc.) thus netting us about 2 yellows per hour, on avg. But bad rng is bad rng..