Magic find 300? Still counting.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dor Bell.7368

Dor Bell.7368

HI ,, My account bonus for magic find hit 300. However the luck counter below it shows
300/30,000 I thought 300 was max ,, or will i only be max when i fill that bar ( 30,000/30,000) again?

Do I really have 299 magic find and need to fill the bar to hit 300.

Thanks in advance.

(edited by Dor Bell.7368)

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

Magic find does not worth anything…

there was a video Potatoe Made not long ago about it

he stacked a BUNCH of stuff to get his magic find to arround 800-900….. then oppened a BUNCH of chests and bags and also done some stuff and events…

and there was no visible change in the loot at all….

that stat is the most useless stat in the game right now…

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If you mouse over the magic find bar, it’ll show you the breakdown. You get 300 magic find from luck. Account bonus will raise it above that.

I currently have 295 magic find from luck and 19 from achievement points, bringing my total to 314 magic find. In five more points from luck that will stop but I’ll continue to get magic find from achievement points rewards.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

he stacked a BUNCH of stuff to get his magic find to arround 800-900….. then oppened a BUNCH of chests and bags and also done some stuff and events…

I play accounts with both high and low magic find and I’d disagree with that categorically. Magic find is from drops, not from bags or chests. Killing stuff, a lot of stuff is the only real way to test it.

I get far more rare and exotic drops on my high magic find accounts than I get on my low magic find accounts. Enough to be easily visible to the naked eye.

Posted by: Dor Bell.7368

Dor Bell.7368

Thank you Vayne!!

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Most chests are not affected by magic find. To the point that the few that are affected by it go out of their way to mention it in the description.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Luck makes a substantive difference over the long haul, which is more than “a bunch of chests”. There’s lots of controlled tests that demonstrate the differences clearly. (The most clear cut case is looking at the results of opening Lunar New Year envelopes with very low versus very high MF.)

There are fewer ‘junk’ and basic drops, more masterwork (and more rare). There’s also more exotic, but the difference is small enough that it’s harder to notice.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I play accounts with both high and low magic find and I’d disagree with that categorically. Magic find is from drops, not from bags or chests. Killing stuff, a lot of stuff is the only real way to test it.

I get far more rare and exotic drops on my high magic find accounts than I get on my low magic find accounts. Enough to be easily visible to the naked eye.

See that’s funny how that works out, as I maxed out along time ago, and id be lucky to get 1 exotic a month from all content I play, yet my friend who doesn’t believe in it, and only has around 50% MF is getting exotics every couple of days from the same content?

Which brings back the old topic of accounts are tagged to get rare loot vs accounts that are not.

Posted by: Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

See that’s funny how that works out, as I maxed out along time ago, and id be lucky to get 1 exotic a month from all content I play, yet my friend who doesn’t believe in it, and only has around 50% MF is getting exotics every couple of days from the same content?

Which brings back the old topic of accounts are tagged to get rare loot vs accounts that are not.

remember it is just a modifier, it does not guarantee anything, some people just have all the luck.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

remember it is just a modifier, it does not guarantee anything, some people just have all the luck.

Im aware of that this, but according to Vayne they get more rares / exotics, which could argue that there higher MF account is tagged for loot and their lower MF account is not tagged for loot,

Id like to see Anet raise the cap with PoF to 500-600% as I get a lot of Essences a day that im just destroying because ive hit the cap.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

…Which brings back the old topic of accounts are tagged to get rare loot vs accounts that are not.

You must be joking. Right?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There’s absolutely no evidence of that. Every controlled test about magic find shows significant differences.

Second, you haven’t said how you or your friend spend your time in-game. Some things generate a lot of loot affected by MF; some don’t. Fractals has some of the best loot-per-effort in the game, but MF barely affects it. In contrast, MF affects nearly all the loot from e.g. Halloween Labyrinth farming.

It might be an old topic, but so is the idea that world is flat, despite the amount of evidence showing otherwise (some of it thousands of years old).

In short: MF matters, base MF matters in the long run. Results will vary considerably, especially over small amounts of drops.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”