Magic find destroys drop rate.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

My ranger typically has no MF whatsoever and it still finds rares on a regular basis.

I added 22% MF with a consumable and the whole duration all I got was junk, 1 rare, and copper and a few blues. No greens at all. This was during a Fractals run and I can tell you , same difficulty level without any MF would yield much better loot.

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

3 things.

1. You probably farmed a bit, likely triggering DR, then slapped on the MF where you had +22% chance to get better loot from the nothing DR was going to let you have. Good job.

2. If you were looting fractals you should know that chests are not AT ALL affected by MF by design.

3. 22% MF is nothing.

I could go on, but those are the 3 big things you needed to know.

(edited by Chickenshoes.6250)

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

The more magic find you have, the greater the chance of a total amount of better drops in the long run than with less magic find.

Who wants to experiment, any volunteers?

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Your sample size is too small and really nothing but anecdotal. The monster loot drops from one fractal run is absolutely insignificant, from a statistical point of view. Try comparing 100 runs with MF and 100 runs without MF, or even better, multiples of that.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Just RNG.

I run fractals with no MF regularly and I’ve gotten crap for drops and other times good drops.

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

I’ve had some weirdness lately too. I recently put together a suit of MF armor for roaming. I trade it out with my good armor when I get to champions and such. Lately (i.e. past week or so), I find that when I put it on, the drop rate seems to go down immediately. Swap back to the regular armor and things seem to get better. Just last night I was thinking to myself, its almost like MF stats have been reversed or something. (I do plenty of fighting and looting, recognize the nature of RNG, and understand the concept of statistical sampling. Leaving MF armor on and getting crap for an hour (which ought to be long enough to trigger DR, if thats the problem), then switching to regular armor and getting reasonably good loot, multiple times over many days, is why I say this at all.)

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Anything under 50% magic find will hardly be noticable anyway unless you record results for a very long period of time. Above that it’s more noticable, but of course you can still have bad days.

I have one farming warrior with magic find gear I use and I tend to get more/better drops on him. But I’ve got a bunch of magic find on him. I don’t use him in dungeons, just to run around Orr or Frostgorge mostly.

As already pointed out, magic find doesn’t affect chests at all, only drops.

In the fractals, there are certain fractals with very little drops, like the swamp, where magic find will do you nothing. There are fractals like the dredge that have pretty good drops.

How many creatures do you kill in the dredge fractal, compared to say the ocean one with the krait?

Magic find has increased my drop rate over time.

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

Nobody knows exactly how DR works. I run one set of gear all the time over many hours of farming. Sometimes I get nothing because of DR but every now and then drops will pick up and then fall right back down again. This could easily be a mechanic limiting loot based on smaller periods of time.

Posted by: Alkron.1345

Alkron.1345

My ranger typically has no MF whatsoever and it still finds rares on a regular basis.

I added 22% MF with a consumable and the whole duration all I got was junk, 1 rare, and copper and a few blues. No greens at all. This was during a Fractals run and I can tell you , same difficulty level without any MF would yield much better loot.

As previously stated, 22% is near nothing for MF. A single sample run means absolutely nothing.

Here’s something that has a slightly larger grounds:
When running MF gear (Exo Armor, 5x Pirates, 1x Noble, Omnom Bar/Peach Tart, maybe a few other points thrown in via Guild/Banners/etc) I saw a noticeable increase in Shards of Mist Essense (up to 3 per run, often at least 1) however, once I transitioned out of my MF set for higher fractals, my Shard collection count has noticeably dropped, occasionally 1 per run, only a couple times in over 20 runs have I acquired 2 shards in no MF.

Overall, when leveling from 10-26, I was pulling 2-3 Globs/Mist (Globs in 10-19, Shards 20+) per run on average while in MF Gear. After I cut the MF Gear, 0-1 on average.

That’s is an effect of MF I believe (from what I could tell, people were complaining about never seeing any of those mist drops while I was pulling in several so I believe it’s the MF).

Also to remember, MF is very difficult to statistically show as justified and much easier to say it’s not, such as you have shown. Personally, having played months with 100%+ MF, I’ve seen a positive effect of MF.

Edited – Changed 4x Pirate, 2x Noble to 5x Pirate, 1x Noble. Small mistake whoops haha

(edited by Alkron.1345)

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Small sample size.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Wanderbeard.3291

Wanderbeard.3291

As previously stated, 22% is near nothing for MF. A single sample run means absolutely nothing.

When running MF gear (Exo Armor, 4x Pirates, 2x Noble, Omnom Bar/Peach Tart, maybe a few other points thrown in via Guild/Banners/etc) I saw a noticeable increase in Shards of Mist Essense (up to 3 per run, often at least 1) however, once I transitioned out of my MF set for higher fractals, my Shard collection count has noticeably dropped, occasionally 1 per run, only a couple times in over 20 runs have I acquired 2 shards in no MF.

Overall, when leveling from 10-26, I was pulling 2-3 Globs/Mist (Globs in 10-19, Shards 20+) per run on average while in MF Gear. After I cut the MF Gear, 0-1 on average.

That’s is an effect of MF I believe (from what I could tell, people were complaining about never seeing any of those mist drops while I was pulling in several so I believe it’s the MF).

Also to remember, MF is very difficult to statistically show as justified and much easier to say it’s not, such as you have shown. Personally, having played months with 100%+ MF, I’ve seen a positive effect of MF.

Honest question here. Why do you use 4 pirates and 2 noble runes?

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

Keep in mind that if something only have a 1% chance to drop for you, adding 22% magic find is bumping that up to a whopping 1.22% chance.

In other words, pretty much insignificant.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Oh how I love this thread… it made a grey rainy day much brighter…

C’mon you really think 22% MF on a random run of Fracs where chest loot RNG is unaffected by MF anyway, is a firm basis for your argument.
Now if you said you had been farming “X” dungeon, Dragon, Frac, Orr tunnel etc etc maybe 100 times with 300% MF and still only managed 1 rare and no greens then I might give a small amount of credit to this but your stats show nothing but a hard luck RNG run or you been chinese chain farming for 4 weeks solid without a break and got hit by some serious DR flue

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Magic find works. I would say more but there is like a 35 page thread on drops.. that describes well how magic find works. I generally run around with just 30% so that I have an average idea of what to expect. If I want to go crazy I might don my 230mf set/buffs and farm for a few hours. But I much prefer the stats of regular gear. Everyone has trouble at some point, but there is many ways to do better and many other things to do well.

On a side not-MF doesn’t mean “more” rares, it simply means better chance of rarer items. So those normal 20 blues could be 8 greens and 12 blues, those 5 whites could be 4 blues and 1 white. And even possible those 20 greens could be 2 rares and 18 greens. In between is a bunch of RNG soup, you just have to spoon around for the meat and veggies.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: Jeahanne.5209

Jeahanne.5209

When running MF gear (Exo Armor, 4x Pirates, 2x Noble, Omnom Bar/Peach Tart, maybe a few other points thrown in via Guild/Banners/etc) I saw a noticeable increase in Shards of Mist Essense (up to 3 per run, often at least 1) however, once I transitioned out of my MF set for higher fractals, my Shard collection count has noticeably dropped, occasionally 1 per run, only a couple times in over 20 runs have I acquired 2 shards in no MF.

I know I use 5 pirates and one of something else that gives +MF because the last stat for Superior Rune of the Pirate only summons a bird, and does nothing for MF. It’s better to skip the 6th rune and replace it for something that ups MF instead of having an essentially wasted spot.

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

“MF” doesn’t work the way a lot of people think it does. Everyone starts out at “100% MF”. If at 100%, an exotic has a 1% chance to drop, then, at 200%, that exotic has a 2% chance to drop. You adding 22%, made such a miniscule increase, that you wouldn’t even notice.

Geotherma.2395

I know I use 5 pirates and one of something else that gives +MF because the last stat for Superior Rune of the Pirate only summons a bird, and does nothing for MF. It’s better to skip the 6th rune and replace it for something that ups MF instead of having an essentially wasted spot.

Exactly what I do, why waste a slot on a bird.,.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Exactly what I do, why waste a slot on a bird.,.

Don’t underestimate birds, that’s all I am going to say.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Alkron.1345

Yeah I meant 5 Pirate, 1 Noble whoops! I’ll go edit that haha But like Jeahanne said, I skip the 6th rune to sub in 1 Superior Noble for an additional 10% MF

Geotherma.2395

But keep in mind as far as I know green MF gear has the same stats as exotic MF gear. But that doesn’t mean the mobs will take it easier on you :P

Alkron.1345

But keep in mind as far as I know green MF gear has the same stats as exotic MF gear. But that doesn’t mean the mobs will take it easier on you :P

^ Truth. That’s why I run Exo minimizing the stat difference (Masterwork vs Exotic has a BIT of a difference :p)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

In games, drop rates are going to be calculated to produce drop frequency that the devs think will work for the game’s economy. I don’t doubt that when deciding what those rates would be for GW2, the devs took MF into account. If there were no MF, I believe the overall drop rates would have been somewhat higher.

That’s what I thought the OP was going to say.

Posted by: Alloy.2839

Alloy.2839

Your sample size is too small. I tried high MF for a while and noticed a definite increase in loot quality. I gave up using MF when I realized that I could gear up faster and easier through karma and dungeon tokens. I ran without any MF until I got my ascended amulet and put the MF infusion in it. A couple days ago I got a level 80 exotic from the Fire Elemental. It’s just RNG in action.

Geotherma.2395

I’ll just leave this here…

Attachments: